Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving up

• 30-06-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

I'm giving up drinking for a month maybe longer...hangovers seem to be getting worse and I'm drink more often then is healthy(4/5 nights a week).
    So I'm just over a week dry...feeling the benefits all ready but am still so tempted every night to run down the local shop and grab a few cans. It's grand once 10.00 o clock comes....
    Trying to keep busy as to not get bored....hope it gets easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

yes, i know it's not easy.

hope you can stay dry for a longer time. call your friends/ family/ loved ones whenever you want to get a can, and chit chat to kill the time and temptations maybe?

hope you can get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bank

Hi del88

It sounds like you really need to change your evening habits, especially if you tend to get bored. If you always do as you've always done (stay at home and get bored) you'll always get what you've always got (temptation to drink). I'm no one to talk or preach at the moment as I myself have to change my ways and get into better habits. Boredom is a major problem for me sometimes. I do totally understand how your feeling but we can only change ourselves. Reading this forum and joining in has been a help to me. It constantly reminds me of my goal. Good luck. Remember also, a slip one night doesn't have to turn into a full week. Do your best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Still going good....i've got over the boerdom and can feel the energy levels rising.
    Still tempted the odd night but the memory of hangovers still fresh ..
    Went walking in glendalough on sunday so hope to get out every sunday.
    Apartment is also nice and clean:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bank

Well done del88. Your keeping positive which is half way there. It isn't easy because we have developed very strong habits. To be honest I am a binge drinker who can go for ages/weeks without a drink. When I binge drink and after perhaps 4 nights of drinking, I feel very down and can't keep food down, feel sick. That's my easiest time for giving up.

I go through very strong feelings of absolutely not wanting to drink, or in anyway desire drink. I can't imaging ever wanting to drink again and really crave the healthy fit feeling when not sick from drink. I only wish I could box these feelings because when I do get better, am eating really healthly, exercising,

I seem to very easily talk myself into having a drink. Just a few, won't go mad or continue the next evening. I tell myself it will be nice to have a glass of wine with my "healthy salad". It never ever, ever turns out like this. I now know that even one glass of wine will begin the depression decline and in order to not get down I continue to drink more, a bit quicker etc. I do not suffer depression without drink.

When I'm writing this, I really understand how absolutely stupid it sounds. I am however doing ever thing in my power to stop the madness and for me I have to abstain completely. I am fine with this realisation as it's a new feeling for me. I could never imagine life without drink before. I have a large group of friends who I never could imagine going out with and staying sober but in a scarey kind of way, I'm looking forward to the new me.

I know your not trying to abstain for good but its no harm to learn something from us worst case scenarios. Good Luck.

Advertisement