Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its now €6 to look over the Cliffs of Moher

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Duckjob wrote: »
    Public right-of-way.

They can charge whatever single rate they want for car parking, but they have absolutely no business charging "per person" for people to go and walk the cliffs. They don't "own" the cliffs.

I've no problem paying per person into the visitor center. However, I would have no qualms about offloading my passengers outside if just going to the Cliffs.
    The land that is used for the car park, restaurant, interpretive center and access to the cliffs was handed down to the people of Clare by a farmer in a will. (It would be worth checking this out in the land registry office) If this is the case they have no right to charge people for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In todays Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Thread revival!!!

So just back from cliffs of Moher, first time visitor, beautiful place I must say!

Arrived in to Carpark with car full, 6 euro per person. Couldn't believe it.

So told them to leave the car, and I pay the 6euro. She didn't say a word. So I payed 6 euro and everyone else simply walked in.

The car behind me saw this, and did the same thing. Before we knew it, another car was also doing the same as I drove on in to the carpark.

So all in all, 6 euro for 6 of us wasn't bad for parking!

I still think this is crazy though, as they are misleading in to thinking that the Parking and ticket are one. A sign should be put up to say that the cliffs themselves are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

flexcon wrote: »
    Thread revival!!!

So just back from cliffs of Moher, first time visitor, beautiful place I must say!

Arrived in to Carpark with car full, 6 euro per person. Couldn't believe it.

So told them to leave the car, and I pay the 6euro. She didn't say a word. So I payed 6 euro and everyone else simply walked in.

The car behind me saw this, and did the same thing. Before we knew it, another car was also doing the same as I drove on in to the carpark.

So all in all, 6 euro for 6 of us wasn't bad for parking!

I still think this is crazy though, as they are misleading in to thinking that the Parking and ticket are one. A sign should be put up to say that the cliffs themselves are free.

last time I went, I tried to do the same. But when I reached the parking area, the guy handing out the tickets got a message over walkie talkie that 5 people have already alighted from my car earlier and I had to pay in full for all passengers. he gave me half tickets for 2 guys.
    On hindsight, I should have challenged this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

personally I think its is superb value for what is offered - safe and secure walkways, interpretative centre, safe and managed parking, upkeep of the area, knowledgeable staff and an overall very pleasant and safe experience.

Also, foreign visitors, esp Americans think its exceptional value as for similar type of places you get charged $20+++ per person in USA.

But in Ireland people want everything for free and expect staff to work free in these places and anywhere else that dares to charge money.

btw - Giants causeway (not nearly as good in terms of infrastructure) charges almost €11 per person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

I just see another place to drive, another walkway.
    Road tax is paid (so why tolls) and now this on top?
    Pavements (enda jenny said clearly) are paid for alongside street lighting and bus services (we have none) and now another pavement to be paid for separately?
    Is the time coming when we are charged a fee for every single road or light in the country, separately?
    No, my visitors will not be going there now. I look out an itinerary that will allow seeing and enjoying so much of Ireland but within the budget constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

suave.4u wrote: »
    last time I went, I tried to do the same. But when I reached the parking area, the guy handing out the tickets got a message over walkie talkie that 5 people have already alighted from my car earlier and I had to pay in full for all passengers. he gave me half tickets for 2 guys.
    On hindsight, I should have challenged this.

You can just inform them that you are using the public right of way "from the road to the cliff edge, running between the two kiosks"

I just see another place to drive, another walkway.
    Road tax is paid (so why tolls) and now this on top?
    Pavements (enda jenny said clearly) are paid for alongside street lighting and bus services (we have none) and now another pavement to be paid for separately?
    Is the time coming when we are charged a fee for every single road or light in the country, separately?
    No, my visitors will not be going there now. I look out an itinerary that will allow seeing and enjoying so much of Ireland but within the budget constraints.

Using the same anology I suppose most food should be free too - sure it grows in the ground from seed that are a natural product. Or it grazes field on grass that grows naturally.

Maybe fuel should be free too - sure its in the ground and they just pump it up.

Somehow I doubt if you have been to the cliffs since it was done up.! - Yet you make a disparaging comment?

Funny, since they introduced charges at Cliffs of Moher, visitor numbers have increased substantially - why? - Cos they have created an experience that is worth the entrance fee.

Before it was a raggity mud path with poor or non existent safety features that you pulled into for 10 minutes and drove away. Now you are immersed in the history of the area, through an interpretative centre, have many guides and safety people to ensure a good trip.

OK - so those who would have dropped by regularly probably don't do so as much, but for the occasional visitor it is well worth the fee and even the locals admit that it is much much better than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

delahuntv wrote: »
    Using the same anology I suppose most food should be free too - sure it grows in the ground from seed that are a natural product. Or it grazes field on grass that grows naturally.

Maybe fuel should be free too - sure its in the ground and they just pump it up.

Somehow I doubt if you have been to the cliffs since it was done up.! - Yet you make a disparaging comment?

Funny, since they introduced charges at Cliffs of Moher, visitor numbers have increased substantially - why? - Cos they have created an experience that is worth the entrance fee.

Before it was a raggity mud path with poor or non existent safety features that you pulled into for 10 minutes and drove away. Now you are immersed in the history of the area, through an interpretative centre, have many guides and safety people to ensure a good trip.

OK - so those who would have dropped by regularly probably don't do so as much, but for the occasional visitor it is well worth the fee and even the locals admit that it is much much better than before.

I was there before and after it was done up, the experience was the same.

With regard to the cost, I believe they do this to encourage tourists to come to the ares and stay in local B&Bs, use local businesses and so on.

Charging per person for people going into a car park seems a bit like a Joe Quimby Tuesday tax.

Even on the Irish tourist boards website in the Netherlands they regularly use the cliffs of moher as something to draw tourists to Ireland, when really it should have VISIT THE CLIFFS of MOHER (for 6 euros per person if we can manage to charge you that much)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 drivealive

btw - Giants causeway (not nearly as good in terms of infrastructure) charges almost €11 per person!

Giants Causeway is free as long as you dont use the car park or enter the visitor centre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Also, foreign visitors, esp Americans think its exceptional value as for similar type of places you get charged $20+++ per person in USA.

But in Ireland people want everything for free and expect staff to work free in these places and anywhere else that dares to charge money.

Not at all. The fee per car into the Grand Canyon National Park, for example, is $25, including all passengers.

The US also have a variety of annual passes. An annual pass into the Grand Canyon is about $50, but the better value one is the annual pass for all US National Parks and recreation lands, which is about $80.

Now if you're a senior in America, which I imagine the majority of Americans visiting the cliffs are, you get your annual pass for $10. This senior pass then allows the card holder, and a vehicle containing 4 adults in total, access to the parks.

So I doubt Americans will go away thinking it's exceptional value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

The cliffs however, were BEAUTIFUL, and we couldn't have had nicer weather for the day![/QUOTE]
    At least there's no surcharge for sunny days at the cliffs!;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Park along the road for free, no clamping. Walk in for free, no one at the entrance. Look at the cliffs for free. Walk into the interpretative centre for free, no one at the little tunnel into it. Browse paddywhackery junk for free.

Why anyone pays money at the cliffs is beyond me. Maybe for a coffee or something but sure just bring a flask of tae. I'll jump off the cliffs before clare co co get any cash monies off me. They've been robbing people for long enough there by fooling people into paying per person for entrance to the cliffs. They can shove their ****ty car park up their hole tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭paulski999

Heading there Sat, so hopefully the weather will hold and no Bertha hurricane remnants, anyhow, from website, seems everyone is charged

Admission per person 2014

PERSON ADMISSION
    Adult €6.00
    Children under 16* Free
    Senior Citizen** €4.00
    Student €4.00
    Disabled Visitor €4.00
    * Children are free when accompanied by a parent or guardian up to 4 children. 
The “Kids go Free” promotion does not apply to educational or school groups.

** A senior citizen is a person over 65 years of age.

The admission charge includes entry to all public areas of the visitor centre building, all external areas of the visitor zone including the Cliffs of Moher pathways and platforms, unlimited vehicle parking and provision of first aid facilities and safety onsite. An information leaflet and site map is included in admission and is available in 14 languages. Admission to the Cliffs Exhibition is included. The admission charge also contributes toward the visitor management and conservation provided at the Cliffs of Moher.

Visitors to the Cliffs of Moher may be asked to show their ticket during the visit, it is important to keep your ticket with you at all times. Walkers and cyclists to the Cliffs of Moher are asked to go to reception in the Visitor Centre to get admission tickets. Visitors without admission tickets will be asked to purchase a ticket at the Visitor Centre reception.

So if I drop the family off before the car park, I enter on my own in the car for €6, can we all walk up to Cliffs without going near visitor centre? The above seems to imply all walkers and cyclists need to purchase tickets as well...

Thanks

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Not at all. The fee per car into the Grand Canyon National Park, for example, is $25, including all passengers.

2 adult passengers = $25 - about €9.40/person
    4 adult passengers = $25 - about €4.70/ person
    2 adults + 2 kids = $25 (€18.80)

Cliffs
    2 adults = €6/person - cheaper
    4 adults = €6 per person - a little dearer
    2 adults + 2 kids €3 per person as kids go free. - cheaper

Annual pass available for clare residents.

Heritage pass (cliffs not part of it - but just for an example to compare) €21 per person to ALL Heritage Ireland sites for 12 months. WAY cheaper than US equivalents.

If you don;t like it, then move on elsewhere. No-one is forced to visit.

Heritage pass (cliffs not part of it - but just for an example to compare) €21 per person to ALL Heritage Ireland sites for 12 months. WAY cheaper than US equivalents.

Your logic is flawed. Firstly, as you say, a pass for the cliffs is just for Clare residents.

Secondly, the heritage pass, the cliffs aren't included. So if you had a pass and wanted to see the cliffs, you have to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

paulski999 wrote: »
    Heading there Sat, so hopefully the weather will hold and no Bertha hurricane remnants, anyhow, from website, seems everyone is charged

Admission per person 2014

PERSON ADMISSION
    Adult €6.00
    Children under 16* Free
    Senior Citizen** €4.00
    Student €4.00
    Disabled Visitor €4.00
    * Children are free when accompanied by a parent or guardian up to 4 children. 
The “Kids go Free” promotion does not apply to educational or school groups.

** A senior citizen is a person over 65 years of age.

The admission charge includes entry to all public areas of the visitor centre building, all external areas of the visitor zone including the Cliffs of Moher pathways and platforms, unlimited vehicle parking and provision of first aid facilities and safety onsite. An information leaflet and site map is included in admission and is available in 14 languages. Admission to the Cliffs Exhibition is included. The admission charge also contributes toward the visitor management and conservation provided at the Cliffs of Moher.

Visitors to the Cliffs of Moher may be asked to show their ticket during the visit, it is important to keep your ticket with you at all times. Walkers and cyclists to the Cliffs of Moher are asked to go to reception in the Visitor Centre to get admission tickets. Visitors without admission tickets will be asked to purchase a ticket at the Visitor Centre reception.

So if I drop the family off before the car park, I enter on my own in the car for €6, can we all walk up to Cliffs without going near visitor centre? The above seems to imply all walkers and cyclists need to purchase tickets as well...

Thanks

Do let us know how it goes :).
    I hope armed with the information in this thread, you should save atleast some quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

If you don;t like it, then move on elsewhere. No-one is forced to visit.

That is very true. 4 Friends from the states were trying to work out where to go on their Summer tour this year (two of them are irish, bringing partners over) Cliffs of Moher was on the list of attractions. However with them now charging for access it was the last straw...

They spent a week in Ireland visiting Family and then spent all their money in Scotland (where the partners wanted to go)

Also comparing the Cliffs of Moher prices to the Grand Canyon National Park is mad. That's like saying a traditional Irish Fun Fair down the park is the same as Disneyland!!!

However with them now charging for access it was the last straw...

They spent a week in Ireland visiting Family and then spent all their money in Scotland (where the partners wanted to go)

Yeah right - for the sake of €6 the shallow americans changed all their plans and went to scotland instead.

hahahahahahahahaha

Yeah right - for the sake of €6 the shallow americans changed all their plans and went to scotland instead.

hahahahahahahahaha

Your post is exactly the kind of thing that drives away tourists from the country....Lack of attention.

1. It wasn't 6 euro, it was 24 (4 of them)
    2. Calling people shallow because of choices they make
    3. 2 of them were Irish
    4. It wasn't the only reason, it was just one of the final straws that broke the camels back. The trip to Scotland in better hotels and with more to do was only half the price of what was available here. They're not Broke but that 25 euro paid for lunch one day in Perth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 asingrang

Save your money and go on a cliffs of moher cruise for a tenner instead.
    Or a family ticket for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

paulski999 wrote: »
    The above seems to imply all walkers and cyclists need to purchase tickets as well...

There is a public right of way, so you cannot be charged just to see the cliffs.

IT IS FREE TO SEE THE CLIFFS OF MOHER

Pedestrian right of access without charge.

There is a pedestrian right of access from the road to the viewing area at the Cliffs of Moher. Clare County Council who run the Cliffs of Moher will seek a charge from persons visiting the property in respect of all other facilities provided on site. Where people seek to utlise the right of way only, this will be accommodated free of charge.

If you arrive on foot, or are dropped off by car and you do not wish to use the facilities at the Clifs of Moher, the you can seek to utlise the right of way which is free of charge.

http://www.cliffs-moher.com/price.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

personally I think its is superb value for what is offered - safe and secure walkways, interpretative centre, safe and managed parking, upkeep of the area, knowledgeable staff and an overall very pleasant and safe experience.

As drivealive pointed out, not only is it free, the staff will tell you there is no charge, its a heritage site (with public right of access) if you dont use their facilities and inform you where you can park that is paid and can recover that charge if you avail of another service. Im happy to spend my money in the community without being forced to spend it in some interpretive center or on tat.
    In other words there is no sneaking around trying to disguise or cheat people of money.

hahahahahahahahaha

Principles perhaps, I give short shrift to such obvious gouging and its that kind of attitude which sours someones visit and they can easily head somewhere else where they feel welcome, where they will be spending money anyway, without feeling like they are being ripped off.
    Having travelled in Scotland, NI and Ireland, the cost difference for certain things is noticeable and just because someone is coming here on holiday doesnt mean they are loaded and prime for the picking or willing to accept that, especiallly if the service isnt up to scratch, which it usually isnt.

Also comparing the Cliffs of Moher prices to the Grand Canyon National Park is mad. That's like saying a traditional Irish Fun Fair down the park is the same as Disneyland!!!

The comparison is in relation to value for money and that Americans won't see the prices to the visitor centre as being excellent value. There was no comparison of the geological features. Simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your post is exactly the kind of thing that drives away tourists from the country....Lack of attention.

1. It wasn't 6 euro, it was 24 (4 of them)
    2. Calling people shallow because of choices they make
    3. 2 of them were Irish
    4. It wasn't the only reason, it was just one of the final straws that broke the camels back. The trip to Scotland in better hotels and with more to do was only half the price of what was available here. They're not Broke but that 25 euro paid for lunch one day in Perth.

And yet they paid 4 sets of UK APD on flights which would be hugely over 25 euro and you don't seem to consider thst to drive tourists away.

Also, heritage sites and other attractions are usually far dearer in the UK all round so they'll have spent more anyway on that

MYOB wrote: »
    And yet they paid 4 sets of UK APD on flights which would be hugely over 25 euro and you don't seem to consider thst to drive tourists away.

Also, heritage sites and other attractions are usually far dearer in the UK all round so they'll have spent more anyway on that

Again no attention to detail, Charging in was the last straw. It wasn't the only thing but one of many. You can say they spent more money in the UK, but including flights they did more (in their opinion) and it was still about 100 euro cheaper overall.

People have budgets and have to stick to them, they want to get the best value for money. At this time pricewise many places are better value than here. I've gone on Holiday here and in Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. As long as you stay away from London, it's a lot cheaper to do most things there.

Here there is a friendliness, welcome and kindness that you're unlikely to find anywhere else. Some individuals will literally give you the food on their plate. We really have something special.

However there is also a section in society that will try to grab every penny you got and offer some of the worst customer service I've ever seen. People from other countries aren't stupid and know when they're being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

mrbike wrote: »
    There is a public right of way, so you cannot be charged just to see the cliffs.

IT IS FREE TO SEE THE CLIFFS OF MOHER

Pedestrian right of access without charge.

There is a pedestrian right of access from the road to the viewing area at the Cliffs of Moher. Clare County Council who run the Cliffs of Moher will seek a charge from persons visiting the property in respect of all other facilities provided on site. Where people seek to utlise the right of way only, this will be accommodated free of charge.

If you arrive on foot, or are dropped off by car and you do not wish to use the facilities at the Clifs of Moher, the you can seek to utlise the right of way which is free of charge.

http://www.cliffs-moher.com/price.php

Seeing as that website is not the official site.. can anyone confirm whether the above is bullsh*t or not?

I agree, I see no reason why a pedestrian should have to pay to walk from the road to the cliffs of Moher. If the walk up from the other end of the cliffs near lahinch they will not be charged.

Again no attention to detail, Charging in was the last straw. It wasn't the only thing but one of many. You can say they spent more money in the UK, but including flights they did more (in their opinion) and it was still about 100 euro cheaper overall.

People have budgets and have to stick to them, they want to get the best value for money. At this time pricewise many places are better value than here. I've gone on Holiday here and in Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. As long as you stay away from London, it's a lot cheaper to do most things there.

Here there is a friendliness, welcome and kindness that you're unlikely to find anywhere else. Some individuals will literally give you the food on their plate. We really have something special.

However there is also a section in society that will try to grab every penny you got and offer some of the worst customer service I've ever seen. People from other countries aren't stupid and know when they're being ripped off.

It doesn't matter what straw it was, it shows terribly bad judgement and an inability to look at the whole picture - if it ever happened. Sounds like a child's strop, not a rational adult.

Your figures are all over the place - "half the price" then 100 cheaper all in.

MYOB wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what straw it was, it shows terribly bad judgement and an inability to look at the whole picture - if it ever happened. Sounds like a child's strop, not a rational adult.

Your figures are all over the place - "half the price" then 100 cheaper all in.

Like the way you bring doubt into my posts, you can believe them if you want or you don't have to. It was half the price in Scotland for many of the places they wanted to go to and places they wanted to stay, In some cases it was free in Scotland where there would have been a charge here. However, they did have to get to scotland and they had to come back, (flights, buses etc) So taking those expenses into account It was only 100 euro cheaper, but they didn't feel ripped off.

You should read the posts before you reply. You're basically saying that people who don't like the pricing here are not rational. You don't know these people or their needs. That's the problem with certain sections of the tourist industry here, it's very much like it or lump it and if you do have an issue with service or prices it must be you that's the issue.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm saying you're friends aren't rational. That's fairly obvious to be honest.

Advertisement