Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its now €6 to look over the Cliffs of Moher

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Just park in liscannor or down closer to hags head and do the full cliff walk. Clare co co can shove their poxy interpretative centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Yep the man in the box where you pay. Goes 1..2..3..4 adults "

"€24 to park please!"

:eek: for the love of f&ck, i honestly thought you were kidding

thats just plain mean, and thats to cover the cost of the visitor centre??...but what if you don't want to use it??

... sorry i haven't been in years ..do you have to go through the centre to get to the cliffs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

fryup wrote: »

... sorry i haven't been in years ..do you have to go through the centre to get to the cliffs??

Nope.

^^^^^^

so whats the €6 charge for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Per adult in your car, to park the car. You don't even pay to visit the visitors centre. It's just there to the right as you walk towards the cliffs. The charge is officially a "parking charge"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well if its a parking charge surely it should be per car and not per occupant

this can't be ethical, never heard of such a thing does it occur anywhere else??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

6 euro per occupant in there car. Looool. Like something out of Father Ted that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    BTW last time i was there you could just drive round the barrier anyways on the way out , was wide enough,feck them
    *ducks* and awaits the defenders baying for blood

I like it..
    I parked by the broken gate next to the car park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I avoid the tourists as much as I can when visiting places like this so I always take the Coastal Route.
    It too will be busy but not as busy as the 'main' touristy hot-spot. Ruins of an auld tower there also; found it very exposed in that no fencing etc near the actual coast-line so mind the kiddies closely if taking this option.

Beautiful though! Found it by pure luck myself.

When taking the boat looking up at the Cliffs then you'll see the noticeable difference in terms of the business of the 'main' hot-spot compared to the few scattered heads lining the Cliffs where I found.

Turn off advertising the Cliffs of Moher to the left before the 'main' hot-spot. Far less numbers ; incredible views ; less noise/tourists! Comfy shoes. A few up-n-overs (to keep main gates closed) that you'd expect on any walking trails also but I saw people with walking-sticks having no issue.

& no charge for either the views or for parking!

Pure Rural Country-land,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

You can park for free at moher sports field and walk up from there. It's much quieter rather than swathes of tourists everywhere at the main entrance.

You can also park in a farmyard even nearer the cliffs for €2 per car.

Or down the doolin end there is also parking.

Plenty of ways to see the cliffs without paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

elastico wrote: »
    You can park for free at moher sports field and walk up from there. It's much quieter rather than swathes of tourists everywhere at the main entrance.

You can also park in a farmyard even nearer the cliffs for €2 per car.

Or down the doolin end there is also parking.

Plenty of ways to see the cliffs without paying.

:eek:

Lol, Elastico, you cant have services without paying, you feckin sponger you!!! :pac::pac::pac:
    (jk, your secret's safe with me. ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 autumnrain

There are free walks - really well laid out with amazing views of the cliffs & the Atlantic. They're accessible from doolin or liscannor and both go along the headbands to the cliffs. Just wear decent waking shoes and bring a raincoat and a camera.
    So If you don't want to pay, park in doolin, walk for as long as you're comfortable (an hour or two), then stroll and back to the village for dinner & tunes.
    It's a great part of the world. Always full of happy people who can't believe how great Irelans is.

Can the last few posters put up coordinates of where you're parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Brainiac2000

If you REALLY must park in the visitor area, get the driver to go in, pay the €6 and everyone else can go in free

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but isn't there people going around asking you if you paid for the facilities ??
    Visitors to the Cliffs of Moher may be asked to show their ticket during the visit, it is important to keep your ticket with you at all times. Walkers and cyclists to the Cliffs of Moher are asked to go to reception in the Visitor Centre to get admission tickets. Visitors without admission tickets will be asked to purchase a ticket at the Visitor Centre reception.

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/plan-your-visit/tickets-prices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but isn't there people going around asking you if you paid for the facilities ??

First I saw of that. I suppose its only a matter of time before they make the car park free and just charge people as they enter in along.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 elreberendo

elastico wrote: »
    First I saw of that. I suppose its only a matter of time before they make the car park free and just charge people as they enter in along.

Why would they do such a thing? They would charge people for parking, accessing to the Cliffs (regardless of visitor centre), the Tower, the long walk over the Cliffs, even air if they could!

Last time I dropped 2 friends before the main entrance and I went to Doolin to have a pint (long ago I swore I wouldn't pay again for walking on a nature rock anymore!).

When I came back to collect them, they told me they were chased and asked to pay tickets which they didn't do and had to walk away, I felt totally ashamed of Co. Clare and Ireland to be honest.

Very interesting to know there are other spots before the touristy spot, I'll keep that in mind for next visitors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

It's an absolute disgrace. I was going to go with 4 friends a couple of years ago but they wanted 30e to park the car so we opted against it on principle. I was there a couple of years before and thought the visitor centre was rubbish. They should have one there and it should be self sufficient from the coffee and gift shop. In fact, it should turn over a tidy profit. Even if they charged 50c for the bathrooms you wouldn't mind too much. And if they charged a couple of euro to park a car you wouldn't mind too much. But 6e per person is an absolutely appalling. The interpretative centre was a disgraceful waste of tax payers money. It's terrible.

And I was talking to a girl who was there at the weekend who dropped her 2 friends off on the way there. They then wanted to charge her for the other 2 people as well. They were insistent that they had to pay for all even when she said that they aren't using any of the facilities (which they didn't). Eventually they agreed not to charge them, but it ruined the experience.

30 million euro it cost to build by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 elreberendo

blue note wrote: »
    30 million euro it cost to build by the way.

Holy smokes!! Now I understand why they rip off everybody, they need to make it profitable (mmmm that sounds too familiar, water used to come down free from sky, and it will remain the same eventually haha).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Holy smokes!! Now I understand why they rip off everybody, they need to make it profitable (mmmm that sounds too familiar, water used to come down free from sky, and it will remain the same eventually haha).

it still does, try drinking or washing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

It has become more and more common to enclose or somehow claim any public right of ways in many countries. It is seized and it is public land.
    Every year I am struck by Wimbledon, as I see people on common land, now enclosed and being charged entrance. There seems to be a screen up (the excuse) but it taken and I think not given back.
    The cliffs have the excuse of parking, people did anyway. Especially elderly, disabled, poor walkers and those with little ones. It is not just Ireland.
    Is this legalised theft then? I do not see protests, reclaiming and I am sure there would be Garda to protect something that somehow just seems to belong to someone else but I am unaware of sale and proceeds to public. I certainly would not agree with freedom of these beautiful walks and drives being taken from us all. No vote was taken that I am aware of.
    Who owns it now? How did they get it? Did they purchase it? Who sold it to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Oil also comes out of the ground for free, try using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭lau1247

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can anyone confirm if the right of access is still true? Last time i was there (2011), i didn't know about it. We did drop off people at the main entrance and have only one driver parking the car but as we walk up, we were being asked (ushered) in to pay. Planning to visit again tomorrow and want to get the story straight because there is not much info i can find on 'right of way' should i need to challenge them on this, this time

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just drop your passengers off 200m away from the entrance, drive a mile further, turn around, drive back, enter a car park, pay for yourself.

Always worked for me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I'll be going in a couple of weeks and will sure as hell not be paying. Used to go down there all the time as a young lad with my grandfather, a proud Clare man himself. He'd be rolling in his grave at the thought of paying to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

joujoujou wrote: »
    Just drop your passengers off 200m away from the entrance, drive a mile further, turn around, drive back, enter a car park, pay for yourself.

Always worked for me. :D

you can't get in to the visitor center to use toilets / buy food / get souvenirs / get shelter without a ticket... if you're staying in the area that's grand but if you've driven hours to get there and are making a day of it (like most people / tourists) then your experience will be that only of the cliffs themselves and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

you can't get in to the visitor center to use toilets / buy food / get souvenirs / get shelter without a ticket... if you're staying in the area that's grand but if you've driven hours to get there and are making a day of it (like most people / tourists) then your experience will be that only of the cliffs themselves and nothing else.
    The whole thread's about public right of way to cliffs. Visitor's centre is the thing you have to pay for, and that's beyond dispute.

I visited cliffs plenty of times and despite living away (approx 200km) never had a real need to use their facilities. Toilets are available for free on any petrol station on my way. And there are loads of nicer places to get a coffee/eat something around - my favourite is Magnetic Music Cafe in Doolin, co. Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,485 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I was there last month and nobody was looking for or checking tickets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got caught for this on Saturday. Argued with the person in the car park that I only wanted to park the car and had no interest in the visitor centre, but she insisted that there was a charge per person to see the cliffs. I paid up as I didn't fancy having to reverse out while more cars were trying to get in.

Visitor centre was sh**te. Basically a place to put a café and a few shops. I thought there would be some educational video in the massive underground cinema about how the cliffs were formed or erosion or the environment or something but it was just a short video of a computer generated seagull flying around the cliffs. What was the point???

Cliffs were spectacular though. I could almost justify what we paid if it was just for parking but p*ssed off that they made it out that there was a charge to walk the cliffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

TheChizler wrote: »
    Got caught for this on Saturday. Argued with the person in the car park that I only wanted to park the car and had no interest in the visitor centre, but she insisted that there was a charge per person to see the cliffs. I paid up as I didn't fancy having to reverse out while more cars were trying to get in.

Visitor centre was sh**te. Basically a place to put a café and a few shops. I thought there would be some educational video in the massive underground cinema about how the cliffs were formed or erosion or the environment or something but it was just a short video of a computer generated seagull flying around the cliffs. What was the point???

Cliffs were spectacular though. I could almost justify what we paid if it was just for parking but p*ssed off that they made it out that there was a charge to walk the cliffs.

So you walked on the nicely laid paths you were kept safe by the quality safety fencing, if you had an issue there was medical assistance available, if something happened you'd be covered under their public liability insurance.

And you whine because you have to make a contribution to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

VincePP wrote: »
    So you walked on the nicely laid paths you were kept safe by the quality safety fencing, if you had an issue there was medical assistance available, if something happened you'd be covered under their public liability insurance.

Incredible how any of us managed to visit the Cliffs of Moher without endangering ourselves before they built the car parks and visitor centre. I haven't been there for more than thirty years and won't be back anytime soon as they are vastly overrated anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Deagol

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Incredible how any of us managed to visit the Cliffs of Moher without endangering ourselves before they built the car parks and visitor centre. I haven't been there for more than thirty years and won't be back anytime soon as they are vastly overrated anyway.

Ummm... hate to point this out but people fell off them fairly regularly before the current footpath / wall arrangement was put in place.

I only used to go up there once or twice a year yet I was there one day minutes after a German lady trying to get a 'good' photo slipped and fell to her death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Deagol wrote: »
    Ummm... hate to point this out but people fell off them fairly regularly before the current footpath / wall arrangement was put in place.

I only used to go up there once or twice a year yet I was there one day minutes after a German lady trying to get a 'good' photo slipped and fell to her death.

Heard a fella once slipped off the path onto the road and got ran over. Should we start putting fences between all the roads and footpaths?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

The wall was put up to stop muppets falling off due to getting too close to the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kyogger

When visiting the Cliffs people aren't kept safe by 'quality safety fencing' they are kept safe by using their common sense and cop on. 'Quality safety fencing' is an eyesore in places like this, same for the 'nicely laid paths', if I wanted to walk on nicely laid paths I'd go to the promenade in Galway.

Last few times I went there I didn't pay, nor never will, simply park on the road a 10 minute walk away it's a nice walk up to the cliffs the back way also, plus you avoid the eyesore of the visitor centre, although beware your day could be ruined as you'l miss the fancy footpath and quality fencing.

As I said I'm annoyed about having to pay for the unnecessary visitor centre which I had no interest in visiting, and for being lied to about there being a charge to walk the cliffs. I'm happy to pay an increased charge for parking which would pay for the upkeep of the paths and staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

You can walk from Doolin to the cliffs,there's a new walkway it's well worth walking.
    You can sometimes see the surfing action along the way too.
    Guy's and gal's getting towed by jet skis into 30ft plus waves.

The puffins should be appearing soon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i would guess that a large proportion of visitors come in tour buses with entrance fee included in their bus ticket.

I went there last summer and noticed hundred of people, grannys, disabled wheelchair users , dogs & cats scrambling over and beyond the 'safety zone' of the path get closer to the cliffs.

the visitors centre is a licence to print money as the weather is ****e most of the year, many of them never even see cliffs because of the fog. just stay in the centre buying rip off food, 10 euro keyrings, sundrenched cliffs photos and leprechaun t-shirts

the irony

As I said I'm annoyed about having to pay for the unnecessary visitor centre which I had no interest in visiting, and for being lied to about there being a charge to walk the cliffs. I'm happy to pay an increased charge for parking which would pay for the upkeep of the paths and staff.

Very little of what you pay is for the visitor centre - But just because you did not like it, doesn't means others don't. Also if there was a sunnden rain shower you'd be glad of the visitor centre :)

Hope you never visit Giants causeway - £9 per adult. Cliffs are a bargain in comparison :)

• Advertisement

Very little of what you pay is for the visitor centre - But just because you did not like it, doesn't means others don't. Also if there was a sunnden rain shower you'd be glad of the visitor centre :)

Hope you never visit Giants causeway - £9 per adult. Cliffs are a bargain in comparison :)
    In that case I know there's a charge in advance, I don't appreciate being fed contradictory information/lied to by a semi-public service while I'm at a barrier with a queue behind me.

In that case I know there's a charge in advance, I don't appreciate being fed contradictory information/lied to by a semi-public service while I'm at a barrier with a queue behind me.

All details fo the charges are online and in most details fo the cliffs I have ever seen.
    So just because you didn't check yourself in advance and you assumed there was no fee, you are angry. Look in the mirror if you want to blame someone for the cause of that anger.

In case of giants causeway - you don't see the charges until after you have parked the car and walked into the place and not only do they charge £9 for adults, but charge ALL children £4.50 - even 5 year olds!

All details fo the charges are online and in most details fo the cliffs I have ever seen.
    So just because you didn't check yourself in advance and you assumed there was no fee, you are angry. Look in the mirror if you want to blame someone for the cause of that anger.

In case of giants causeway - you don't see the charges until after you have parked the car and walked into the place and not only do they charge £9 for adults, but charge ALL children £4.50 - even 5 year olds!
    Who said anything about being angry. At worst I'm annoyed.

The contradictory information I got was from here: http://www.cliffs-moher.com/price.php, which I realize now is not an official site, so I'll get over that one. The fact remains that there is a public right of way on the cliffs and that it is a lie to claim there is a charge to walk the cliffs, the charge is for the use of the car park and visitor centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was up in the Giants Causeway last year but we only arrived at 7pm. The ticket office was closed so you could just walk straight in for free. Not only did we have the entire place to ourselves there was also a stunning sunset which lit all the cliff rocks up in different colours. Next time I go I'll be doing the exact same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was up in the Giants Causeway last year but we only arrived at 7pm. The ticket office was closed so you could just walk straight in for free. Not only did we have the entire place to ourselves there was also a stunning sunset which lit all the cliff rocks up in different colours. Next time I go I'll be doing the exact same thing.

If memory serves, ( it mightn't) , the charge is for parking in the GC

If memory serves, ( it mightn't) , the charge is for parking in the GC

Not any more. - that was up to about 5 years ago. (I'm originally from that neck of the woods :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Not any more. - that was up to about 5 years ago. (I'm originally from that neck of the woods :) )

I thought you could just walk around the visitor centre, no?

Advertisement