Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its now €6 to look over the Cliffs of Moher

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

The charge initially annoyed me.

However, it's free if you don't have to part a car (dropped off or cycle).

Besides, the interpretive centre (which I usually hate) was worth the 6 euro alone.

PS - it's still a death trap if you hang a left for 400m, not a right up the walkway. I found the option lack of security quite reassuring i.e not over developed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

delahuntv wrote: »
    Years ago it was free - and a death trap.

Now you pay a small fee and you get security, safety, shelter and a lot more.

Tourists rate it as great value - but in Ireland we want everything for free.

That's not the problem, its the fact that cost is hidden in the form of a parking fee and it seems some people pay it per person and others pay it per car which doesn't seem fair to me.

If it was straight up front as an entrance fee I wouldn't mind paying but having it this way seems like Joe Quimby from the Simpsons is running it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

do as everyone else does. Drop everyone off at the entrance then go park. You pay for driver only. To Be VERY clear its 6€ per adult in your car not per car as a previous poster suggested. And I dont know why someone else said people being caught, etc. I have been there many times with many groups, there are no "police"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

do as everyone else does. Drop everyone off at the entrance then go park. You pay for driver only
    should put this in the bargain alerts.

No easier way of making €18 (for average car of 4 people)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

Slieve League is in south west Donegal & it's totally free - they've made a lot of improvements to walkways over the last couple of years and it's worth the visit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

To Be VERY clear its 6€ per adult in your car not per car as a previous poster suggested.

:confused:
    and how does that work is there someone there counting the amount of passengers in the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

delahuntv wrote: »
    Years ago it was free - and a death trap.

Now you pay a small fee and you get security, safety, shelter and a lot more.

Tourists rate it as great value - but in Ireland we want everything for free.

I LOVE the way some people swallow the pill and then act like monotones defending their masters.

WE DO NOT want everything for free?
    We simply want value for money and not to feel ripped off
    I loved going years ago , was so free and intense , now its dull and sterile.
    Whilst we cant simply say we own the land and it should be accessible for all , there are upkeep fees etc.
    Therein lies the problem , does it really cost that much to sweep a few paths and clean the toilets?
    RIP OFF i say

Im there this weekend but i give it a swerve now unless someone in the group really wants to go.
    Did the same up here in the north with the Giants Causeway , money grabbing little feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

BTW last time i was there you could just drive round the barrier anyways on the way out , was wide enough,feck them
    *ducks* and awaits the defenders baying for blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

fryup wrote: »
    and how does that work is there someone there counting the amount of passengers in the car?

Yes, at the entrance to the car park across the road.

Let passengers out the far side first.

Yep the man in the box where you pay. Goes 1..2..3..4 adults "

"€24 to park please!"

If you drop them off at the entrance and then park its

"€6 to park please"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Just park in liscannor or down closer to hags head and do the full cliff walk. Clare co co can shove their poxy interpretative centre.

Yep the man in the box where you pay. Goes 1..2..3..4 adults "

"€24 to park please!"

:eek: for the love of f&ck, i honestly thought you were kidding

thats just plain mean, and thats to cover the cost of the visitor centre??...but what if you don't want to use it??

... sorry i haven't been in years ..do you have to go through the centre to get to the cliffs??

... sorry i haven't been in years ..do you have to go through the centre to get to the cliffs??

Nope.

^^^^^^

so whats the €6 charge for?

Per adult in your car, to park the car. You don't even pay to visit the visitors centre. It's just there to the right as you walk towards the cliffs. The charge is officially a "parking charge"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well if its a parking charge surely it should be per car and not per occupant

this can't be ethical, never heard of such a thing does it occur anywhere else??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

6 euro per occupant in there car. Looool. Like something out of Father Ted that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    BTW last time i was there you could just drive round the barrier anyways on the way out , was wide enough,feck them
    *ducks* and awaits the defenders baying for blood

I like it..
    I parked by the broken gate next to the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I avoid the tourists as much as I can when visiting places like this so I always take the Coastal Route.
    It too will be busy but not as busy as the 'main' touristy hot-spot. Ruins of an auld tower there also; found it very exposed in that no fencing etc near the actual coast-line so mind the kiddies closely if taking this option.

Beautiful though! Found it by pure luck myself.

When taking the boat looking up at the Cliffs then you'll see the noticeable difference in terms of the business of the 'main' hot-spot compared to the few scattered heads lining the Cliffs where I found.

Turn off advertising the Cliffs of Moher to the left before the 'main' hot-spot. Far less numbers ; incredible views ; less noise/tourists! Comfy shoes. A few up-n-overs (to keep main gates closed) that you'd expect on any walking trails also but I saw people with walking-sticks having no issue.

& no charge for either the views or for parking!

Pure Rural Country-land,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

You can park for free at moher sports field and walk up from there. It's much quieter rather than swathes of tourists everywhere at the main entrance.

You can also park in a farmyard even nearer the cliffs for €2 per car.

Or down the doolin end there is also parking.

Plenty of ways to see the cliffs without paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

elastico wrote: »
    You can park for free at moher sports field and walk up from there. It's much quieter rather than swathes of tourists everywhere at the main entrance.

You can also park in a farmyard even nearer the cliffs for €2 per car.

Or down the doolin end there is also parking.

Plenty of ways to see the cliffs without paying.

:eek:

Lol, Elastico, you cant have services without paying, you feckin sponger you!!! :pac::pac::pac:
    (jk, your secret's safe with me. ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 autumnrain

There are free walks - really well laid out with amazing views of the cliffs & the Atlantic. They're accessible from doolin or liscannor and both go along the headbands to the cliffs. Just wear decent waking shoes and bring a raincoat and a camera.
    So If you don't want to pay, park in doolin, walk for as long as you're comfortable (an hour or two), then stroll and back to the village for dinner & tunes.
    It's a great part of the world. Always full of happy people who can't believe how great Irelans is.

Can the last few posters put up coordinates of where you're parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Brainiac2000

If you REALLY must park in the visitor area, get the driver to go in, pay the €6 and everyone else can go in free

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but isn't there people going around asking you if you paid for the facilities ??
    Visitors to the Cliffs of Moher may be asked to show their ticket during the visit, it is important to keep your ticket with you at all times. Walkers and cyclists to the Cliffs of Moher are asked to go to reception in the Visitor Centre to get admission tickets. Visitors without admission tickets will be asked to purchase a ticket at the Visitor Centre reception.

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/plan-your-visit/tickets-prices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but isn't there people going around asking you if you paid for the facilities ??

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/plan-your-visit/tickets-prices/

First I saw of that. I suppose its only a matter of time before they make the car park free and just charge people as they enter in along.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 elreberendo

elastico wrote: »
    First I saw of that. I suppose its only a matter of time before they make the car park free and just charge people as they enter in along.

Why would they do such a thing? They would charge people for parking, accessing to the Cliffs (regardless of visitor centre), the Tower, the long walk over the Cliffs, even air if they could!

Last time I dropped 2 friends before the main entrance and I went to Doolin to have a pint (long ago I swore I wouldn't pay again for walking on a nature rock anymore!).

When I came back to collect them, they told me they were chased and asked to pay tickets which they didn't do and had to walk away, I felt totally ashamed of Co. Clare and Ireland to be honest.

Very interesting to know there are other spots before the touristy spot, I'll keep that in mind for next visitors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

It's an absolute disgrace. I was going to go with 4 friends a couple of years ago but they wanted 30e to park the car so we opted against it on principle. I was there a couple of years before and thought the visitor centre was rubbish. They should have one there and it should be self sufficient from the coffee and gift shop. In fact, it should turn over a tidy profit. Even if they charged 50c for the bathrooms you wouldn't mind too much. And if they charged a couple of euro to park a car you wouldn't mind too much. But 6e per person is an absolutely appalling. The interpretative centre was a disgraceful waste of tax payers money. It's terrible.

And I was talking to a girl who was there at the weekend who dropped her 2 friends off on the way there. They then wanted to charge her for the other 2 people as well. They were insistent that they had to pay for all even when she said that they aren't using any of the facilities (which they didn't). Eventually they agreed not to charge them, but it ruined the experience.

30 million euro it cost to build by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 elreberendo

blue note wrote: »
    30 million euro it cost to build by the way.

Holy smokes!! Now I understand why they rip off everybody, they need to make it profitable (mmmm that sounds too familiar, water used to come down free from sky, and it will remain the same eventually haha).

Advertisement