Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its now €6 to look over the Cliffs of Moher

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Holy smokes!! Now I understand why they rip off everybody, they need to make it profitable (mmmm that sounds too familiar, water used to come down free from sky, and it will remain the same eventually haha).

it still does, try drinking or washing with it

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

It has become more and more common to enclose or somehow claim any public right of ways in many countries. It is seized and it is public land.
    Every year I am struck by Wimbledon, as I see people on common land, now enclosed and being charged entrance. There seems to be a screen up (the excuse) but it taken and I think not given back.
    The cliffs have the excuse of parking, people did anyway. Especially elderly, disabled, poor walkers and those with little ones. It is not just Ireland.
    Is this legalised theft then? I do not see protests, reclaiming and I am sure there would be Garda to protect something that somehow just seems to belong to someone else but I am unaware of sale and proceeds to public. I certainly would not agree with freedom of these beautiful walks and drives being taken from us all. No vote was taken that I am aware of.
    Who owns it now? How did they get it? Did they purchase it? Who sold it to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Holy smokes!! Now I understand why they rip off everybody, they need to make it profitable (mmmm that sounds too familiar, water used to come down free from sky, and it will remain the same eventually haha).

Oil also comes out of the ground for free, try using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭lau1247

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but isn't there people going around asking you if you paid for the facilities ??

http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/plan-your-visit/tickets-prices/

Can anyone confirm if the right of access is still true? Last time i was there (2011), i didn't know about it. We did drop off people at the main entrance and have only one driver parking the car but as we walk up, we were being asked (ushered) in to pay. Planning to visit again tomorrow and want to get the story straight because there is not much info i can find on 'right of way' should i need to challenge them on this, this time

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just drop your passengers off 200m away from the entrance, drive a mile further, turn around, drive back, enter a car park, pay for yourself.

Always worked for me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I'll be going in a couple of weeks and will sure as hell not be paying. Used to go down there all the time as a young lad with my grandfather, a proud Clare man himself. He'd be rolling in his grave at the thought of paying to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

joujoujou wrote: »
    Just drop your passengers off 200m away from the entrance, drive a mile further, turn around, drive back, enter a car park, pay for yourself.

Always worked for me. :D

you can't get in to the visitor center to use toilets / buy food / get souvenirs / get shelter without a ticket... if you're staying in the area that's grand but if you've driven hours to get there and are making a day of it (like most people / tourists) then your experience will be that only of the cliffs themselves and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

you can't get in to the visitor center to use toilets / buy food / get souvenirs / get shelter without a ticket... if you're staying in the area that's grand but if you've driven hours to get there and are making a day of it (like most people / tourists) then your experience will be that only of the cliffs themselves and nothing else.
    The whole thread's about public right of way to cliffs. Visitor's centre is the thing you have to pay for, and that's beyond dispute.

I visited cliffs plenty of times and despite living away (approx 200km) never had a real need to use their facilities. Toilets are available for free on any petrol station on my way. And there are loads of nicer places to get a coffee/eat something around - my favourite is Magnetic Music Cafe in Doolin, co. Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I was there last month and nobody was looking for or checking tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got caught for this on Saturday. Argued with the person in the car park that I only wanted to park the car and had no interest in the visitor centre, but she insisted that there was a charge per person to see the cliffs. I paid up as I didn't fancy having to reverse out while more cars were trying to get in.

Visitor centre was sh**te. Basically a place to put a café and a few shops. I thought there would be some educational video in the massive underground cinema about how the cliffs were formed or erosion or the environment or something but it was just a short video of a computer generated seagull flying around the cliffs. What was the point???

Cliffs were spectacular though. I could almost justify what we paid if it was just for parking but p*ssed off that they made it out that there was a charge to walk the cliffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

TheChizler wrote: »
    Got caught for this on Saturday. Argued with the person in the car park that I only wanted to park the car and had no interest in the visitor centre, but she insisted that there was a charge per person to see the cliffs. I paid up as I didn't fancy having to reverse out while more cars were trying to get in.

Visitor centre was sh**te. Basically a place to put a café and a few shops. I thought there would be some educational video in the massive underground cinema about how the cliffs were formed or erosion or the environment or something but it was just a short video of a computer generated seagull flying around the cliffs. What was the point???

Cliffs were spectacular though. I could almost justify what we paid if it was just for parking but p*ssed off that they made it out that there was a charge to walk the cliffs.

So you walked on the nicely laid paths you were kept safe by the quality safety fencing, if you had an issue there was medical assistance available, if something happened you'd be covered under their public liability insurance.

And you whine because you have to make a contribution to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

VincePP wrote: »
    So you walked on the nicely laid paths you were kept safe by the quality safety fencing, if you had an issue there was medical assistance available, if something happened you'd be covered under their public liability insurance.

Incredible how any of us managed to visit the Cliffs of Moher without endangering ourselves before they built the car parks and visitor centre. I haven't been there for more than thirty years and won't be back anytime soon as they are vastly overrated anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Incredible how any of us managed to visit the Cliffs of Moher without endangering ourselves before they built the car parks and visitor centre. I haven't been there for more than thirty years and won't be back anytime soon as they are vastly overrated anyway.

Ummm... hate to point this out but people fell off them fairly regularly before the current footpath / wall arrangement was put in place.

I only used to go up there once or twice a year yet I was there one day minutes after a German lady trying to get a 'good' photo slipped and fell to her death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Deagol wrote: »
    Ummm... hate to point this out but people fell off them fairly regularly before the current footpath / wall arrangement was put in place.

I only used to go up there once or twice a year yet I was there one day minutes after a German lady trying to get a 'good' photo slipped and fell to her death.

Heard a fella once slipped off the path onto the road and got ran over. Should we start putting fences between all the roads and footpaths?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

The wall was put up to stop muppets falling off due to getting too close to the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kyogger

When visiting the Cliffs people aren't kept safe by 'quality safety fencing' they are kept safe by using their common sense and cop on. 'Quality safety fencing' is an eyesore in places like this, same for the 'nicely laid paths', if I wanted to walk on nicely laid paths I'd go to the promenade in Galway.

Last few times I went there I didn't pay, nor never will, simply park on the road a 10 minute walk away it's a nice walk up to the cliffs the back way also, plus you avoid the eyesore of the visitor centre, although beware your day could be ruined as you'l miss the fancy footpath and quality fencing.

As I said I'm annoyed about having to pay for the unnecessary visitor centre which I had no interest in visiting, and for being lied to about there being a charge to walk the cliffs. I'm happy to pay an increased charge for parking which would pay for the upkeep of the paths and staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

You can walk from Doolin to the cliffs,there's a new walkway it's well worth walking.
    You can sometimes see the surfing action along the way too.
    Guy's and gal's getting towed by jet skis into 30ft plus waves.

The puffins should be appearing soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i would guess that a large proportion of visitors come in tour buses with entrance fee included in their bus ticket.

I went there last summer and noticed hundred of people, grannys, disabled wheelchair users , dogs & cats scrambling over and beyond the 'safety zone' of the path get closer to the cliffs.

the visitors centre is a licence to print money as the weather is ****e most of the year, many of them never even see cliffs because of the fog. just stay in the centre buying rip off food, 10 euro keyrings, sundrenched cliffs photos and leprechaun t-shirts

the irony

As I said I'm annoyed about having to pay for the unnecessary visitor centre which I had no interest in visiting, and for being lied to about there being a charge to walk the cliffs. I'm happy to pay an increased charge for parking which would pay for the upkeep of the paths and staff.

Very little of what you pay is for the visitor centre - But just because you did not like it, doesn't means others don't. Also if there was a sunnden rain shower you'd be glad of the visitor centre :)

Hope you never visit Giants causeway - £9 per adult. Cliffs are a bargain in comparison :)

• Advertisement

Very little of what you pay is for the visitor centre - But just because you did not like it, doesn't means others don't. Also if there was a sunnden rain shower you'd be glad of the visitor centre :)

Hope you never visit Giants causeway - £9 per adult. Cliffs are a bargain in comparison :)
    In that case I know there's a charge in advance, I don't appreciate being fed contradictory information/lied to by a semi-public service while I'm at a barrier with a queue behind me.

In that case I know there's a charge in advance, I don't appreciate being fed contradictory information/lied to by a semi-public service while I'm at a barrier with a queue behind me.

All details fo the charges are online and in most details fo the cliffs I have ever seen.
    So just because you didn't check yourself in advance and you assumed there was no fee, you are angry. Look in the mirror if you want to blame someone for the cause of that anger.

In case of giants causeway - you don't see the charges until after you have parked the car and walked into the place and not only do they charge £9 for adults, but charge ALL children £4.50 - even 5 year olds!

All details fo the charges are online and in most details fo the cliffs I have ever seen.
    So just because you didn't check yourself in advance and you assumed there was no fee, you are angry. Look in the mirror if you want to blame someone for the cause of that anger.

In case of giants causeway - you don't see the charges until after you have parked the car and walked into the place and not only do they charge £9 for adults, but charge ALL children £4.50 - even 5 year olds!
    Who said anything about being angry. At worst I'm annoyed.

The contradictory information I got was from here: http://www.cliffs-moher.com/price.php, which I realize now is not an official site, so I'll get over that one. The fact remains that there is a public right of way on the cliffs and that it is a lie to claim there is a charge to walk the cliffs, the charge is for the use of the car park and visitor centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was up in the Giants Causeway last year but we only arrived at 7pm. The ticket office was closed so you could just walk straight in for free. Not only did we have the entire place to ourselves there was also a stunning sunset which lit all the cliff rocks up in different colours. Next time I go I'll be doing the exact same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was up in the Giants Causeway last year but we only arrived at 7pm. The ticket office was closed so you could just walk straight in for free. Not only did we have the entire place to ourselves there was also a stunning sunset which lit all the cliff rocks up in different colours. Next time I go I'll be doing the exact same thing.

If memory serves, ( it mightn't) , the charge is for parking in the GC

If memory serves, ( it mightn't) , the charge is for parking in the GC

Not any more. - that was up to about 5 years ago. (I'm originally from that neck of the woods :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

Not any more. - that was up to about 5 years ago. (I'm originally from that neck of the woods :) )

I thought you could just walk around the visitor centre, no?

Advertisement