Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I have been reading

Options
  • 30-06-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

The Help by Katyryn Stockett. The story from the point of view of the women who worked for the white families in Jackson, Missisippi in the 1960s who raised their children but were not allowed to use the family bathroom. It makes you think of President Barack Obama when he was being inaugurated and he said that his father would not have been served in the local restaurants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

Promises to be a good read but very dense writing, need to read it during the day, so will keep it for holdiays to get the most out of it.

Read this two years ago and re-read it recently. Its great but when is the next book coming out.

This is a bit disappointing, its about the friendship between the daughter of missionaries and a chinese girl. So far she skips over hugely important topics in a few lines, for instance chinese men sold their wives if they were broke or need money for opium, how marriages were arranged, the Boxer Rebellion, starving children, it goes on an on. You could write a whole book about any of the above subjects.

Solar by Iwan McKewan
    Juliet Naked by Nick Hornby
    Small Wars by Sadie Jones
    The Outcasts by Sadie Jones
    Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
    The Speckled People by Hugo Hamilton
    Brixton Beach by Roma Tearne
    Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout which I enjoyed so much, I think I found it in the english language section in a small town on Lake Garda, Salo, and when I looked on Amazon I got the following by the same author, not available in Irish book shops.
    Amy and Isabelle and Abide with me by Elizabeth Strout

Advertisement