Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College for unemployed

Options
  • 30-06-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am a married man with 3 kids and was laid off from the construction industry (so no job prospects). Is it possible for me go back to college for 3/4 years and still be able to pay mortgage, bills etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

slice086 wrote: »
    I am a married man with 3 kids and was laid off from the construction industry (so no job prospects). Is it possible for me go back to college for 3/4 years and still be able to pay mortgage, bills etc...

Well if you have some savings then I presume so.

I am not sure you will be given anything that would help pay for that.

If you start college your jobseekers dole (if on it) will be cut off as you are no longer considered to be actively seeking and available for work.

So remember to take that into consideration.

You could also be entitled to a BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slice086

Thanks 4 that Redout not sure what i'm going to do yet but one thing for sure i'm getting out of the construction trade!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 maidonamission

Find out where your nearest Local Employment Service is and make an appointment to see a mediator - they will be able to tell you everything you need to know about going to college and will also discuss with you what area of study might suit you best and have good job prospects etc.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 slice086

Thanks for ur help Maidonamission i'll diff do that i'll let u know what they say.

Advertisement