Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gooseberrys

Options
  • 30-06-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Anyone selling these,or haveI missed the boat again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I have a few gooseberry plants and they just a bout ripe now. Have never seen them for sale though. They are lovely when really ripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Lucky you!
    I have a fantastic recipe for gooseberry and elderflower semi-freddo, have the elderflower cordial made, just need the goosiegogs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

They're on sale in several different stalls in the English Market at the moment so they're definitely current. Maybe try your local farmers' market where you are or just ring a greengrocer to see about ordering. I've seen them in organic/healthfood-type shops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Will you share your recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CC23

Lidl had them last week.. Not sure if they still do though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

muckety wrote: »
    Will you share your recipe?

Well, when I say I have a recipe... think it was from a Jamie Oliver recipe, possibly for lemon semi-freddo , but can't find it.
    Basically puree the gooseberries with sugar and elderflower cordial, fold into whipped cream and seperated eggs (stiff peaks).
    Freeze for c. 4 hours in a tupperware tub, beating it a couple times with a fork to break up ice crystals. Consume within a couple days, allow to soften in the fridge for c.1 hour before serving.
    Kind of a poor man's icecream in that there is no custard and less beating.

Probably something like this http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Gooseberry_and_elderflower_semifreddo.aspx

I really like the tartness of the gooseberries with the richness of other stuff, works equally well as a fool. The combination of seasonality with the elderflowers is the icing on the cake.

Advertisement