Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were to leave Rapidshare.com who would replace them?

• 30-06-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

This poll is really just to get an idea of what people think of other File
    Sharing websites..

Just want to collect the opinions from this thread..

I've been using rapidshare.com for the past few years now and have always found it to be reliable straightforward.

I haven't been able to get my head around the new changes regarding charging customers. I really dislike the way they are muddling with such their previous simple and straighforward system.

I think i'll be heading to hotfile.com after my rs account expires if the new way of doing things gets messy..

Where will you go?

Who would you replace Rapidshare.com with? 62 votes

I wouldn't leave Rapidshare.com
    0%
    Megaupload.com
    16%
    joolsveerFighting IrishKingkongewj1978SkalraggIdeoPingu-DdilallioMoodeRatorCrocked 10 votes
    Uploading.to
    27%
    JabbaTheHutozmoViper_JBT17cHbikoHank ScorpioMycroft Hbeamer-89iquitalready1qTourdeano546KcboytazzzZBan Ki MoonDude111iMusework.inprocess 17 votes
    Hotfile.com
    3%
    noshankusHarry Deerpark 2 votes
    Megashare.com
    45%
    SickBoytmanDrag00n79dougaloisinStench BlossomsDiddy KongAntiRiptechguyyoucancallmealrichiekRoyalMarineDirk Gentlygolfbguddeath1234567jolterDubbaBigginsBig Larhorse7 28 votes
    Easy-share
    1%
    mirec 1 vote
    MediaFire
    0%
    Senspace
    4%
    Dozen Wicked WordsVampiricPadraigQwertyFinger 3 votes
    DepositFiles
    1%
    SteveDon 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

Megashare.com
    Cool, thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Megaupload.com
    OK i have an RS premium account that's valid until 2012 but it's getting harder to find RS links, i got a hotfile premium account but the speeds are muck compared to RS (HF i get around 400-500kb/s, RS i get between 1-3mb/s)
    Megaupload hasn't got many links floating around either.

So what service should i choose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Usenet is miles better Rapidshare, the choices, the quality. No contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OK i have an RS premium account that's valid until 2012 but it's getting harder to find RS links, i got a hotfile premium account but the speeds are muck compared to RS (HF i get around 400-500kb/s, RS i get between 1-3mb/s)
    Megaupload hasn't got many links floating around either.

So what service should i choose?

Download about eight links at once with HF. It max's out my 30mb connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

My RS is expiring soon so I got a HF account, but the speeds are very variable.

With RS I could max my connection at any time, even with just one download.

Whereas with HF, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. Most of the time I need to be running 4 or 5 downloads at the same time to get good speed, which is no good for the type of things I like to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Megashare.com
    My RS is expiring soon so I got a HF account, but the speeds are very variable.

With RS I could max my connection at any time, even with just one download.

Whereas with HF, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. Most of the time I need to be running 4 or 5 downloads at the same time to get good speed, which is no good for the type of things I like to do.

agree with this.

rapidshare use to max my connection with internet download manager. 3.8mb/s

with hotfile, im maxing out about 5% of the time.
    other times, its 1 - 2 mb/s :(

Megaupload.com
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Usenet is miles better Rapidshare, the choices, the quality. No contest

I still use usenet occassionally but RS premium at it's prime is a million times better than usenet

Megaupload.com

That's great but what if i'm downloadinga file that's only 1 or links?

Megaupload.com
    Just got a premium fileserve account and it's cack!

RS lets me download at 2mb/s, fileserve is going at 200kb/s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I still use usenet occassionally but RS premium at it's prime is a million times better than usenet

I use usenet and used to use rapidshare and there is no comparison. Usenet wins hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Megaupload.com
    I have both Rapidshare & Hotfile premium accounts.

As previous posters said, files from Rapidshare will download at whatever your max bandwidth is. Hotfile is hit & miss on this. I even emailed them to see if this could be improved, but they didn't reply.

When Rapidshare first (and second) changed their terms an awful lot of people left. I noticed a big migration towards Hotfile and bought a 1 year premium account with Hotfile.

But lately, I've noticed that most of the movies I want are now again on Rapidshare, so I think I will stick with them.

Strange really - I'm probably older than the regular poster and remember the day when it took 5 mins to download a picture using dial up, but now, using a 30Mb/sec connection, I don't like having to wait 2 - 3 times longer for a Hotfile download.

Megaupload.com
    I use usenet and used to use rapidshare and there is no comparison. Usenet wins hands down.

I have usenet as a backup, what site do you use to search usenet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Megashare.com
    I moved from RS to Hotfile and really don't regret it atall it's better value for money imo

That said the speed isn't an issue for me - I'd have a fair idea of what I want downloaded - copy links into a draft email in my gmail account while I'm at work then use logmein to access the gmail draft and download the links in one swift movement.

Everythings waiting for me when I get home then so happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Uploading.to
    Definately megaupload

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Fileserve. Only problem is you need to use IDM or JDownloader to max out speed I find, but its cheap/unlimited and links are plentiful, Rapidshare deffo has the best speeds of the lot, but you pay the premium for it. Btw Hotfile/Megaupload work like sh!t on UPC for some reason, so I would avoid those ones

Nick

I have usenet as a backup, what site do you use to search usenet?

Nzbmatrix and Newzbin, nzbmatrix being much better these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭noshankus

Hotfile.com
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Definately megaupload

I find as a downloader (not an uploader), megaupload is good, but sloooooow.

Again, as a downloader only, I like bitshare links. Find them quick with the free download and can download 1GB (unlike RS where freely can only download ~200MB I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nzbmatrix and Newzbin, nzbmatrix being much better these days
    Will keep this in mind. I'm going to be moving to usenet shortly.

=-=

My rapidshare account ran out there, and I'm not renewing it. Don't see the point in going to another file locker, as MPAA seem to be going through them one at a time.

=-=

Hotfile is getting sued now. As they had big cash rewards amongst other things for uploaders, they'll find it harder to duck the way rapidshare did. Hotfile has 3 server locations in the USA, and is owned by a Russian (Anton Titov, I think). It'll be fun to see how that case goes.

Hotfile was sued along with 1,000 John Doe defendants by adult film company Liberty Media Holdings. Dunno how that is panning out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Usenet > *

• Advertisement

I rest my case, nothing else gives the option of search filters like this:

148153.PNG

148153.PNG

Don't you need to further pay those providers to get any of the older stuff?,

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Don't you need to further pay those providers to get any of the older stuff?,

Nick

No, you got to pay for access. They offer a length of time they retain stuff, most offer 600 days retention now which is increasing all the time, they even upgrade retention half way through your package to whatever their new retention is.

Edit: just checked there, giganews who I'm with now offer 922 days retention, news to me

Bit expensive though isn't it?

Took a look at giganews and the diamond plan is $30 for one month. Thats nearly what I paid for six months HF.

Took a look at giganews and the diamond plan is $30 for one month. Thats nearly what I paid for six months HF.

Thats the reason I asked, only reason I use fileserve is the link forums are free and file sharing sites much cheaper than usenet providers,

Nick

Sorry, its astraweb i'm with, I had the trial of giganews before this which is why i got mixed up. I've the $25 once off 180GB package that I got before xmas, I'll be looking for a years subscription soon. I've got a years sub before for $100

Thats the reason I asked, only reason I use fileserve is the link forums are free and file sharing sites much cheaper than usenet providers,

Nick

Newzbin is 10UK pence per week, Nzbmatrix is $10 for lifetime membership, well worth it

1years sub for under $100 here:
    http://usenetserver.com/partners/?a_aid=1176
    and here:
    http://www.newshosting.com/partners/?a_aid=1176

Newzbin is 10UK pence per week, Nzbmatrix is $10 for lifetime membership, well worth it

1years sub for under $100 here:
    http://usenetserver.com/partners/?a_aid=1176
    and here:
    http://www.newshosting.com/partners/?a_aid=1176

Will keep that in mind, still happy with FS at present though

Nick

Megashare.com
    the_syco wrote: »
    Hotfile is getting sued now. As they had big cash rewards amongst other things for uploaders, they'll find it harder to duck the way rapidshare did. Hotfile has 3 server locations in the USA, and is owned by a Russian (Anton Titov, I think). It'll be fun to see how that case goes.

Hotfile was sued along with 1,000 John Doe defendants by adult film company Liberty Media Holdings. Dunno how that is panning out.

This may seem like a stupid question but Hotfile basically offers online storage - would sites like warez-bb or projectw not be seen as the bigger evils seeing as these are the sites that people use to share links to the materials stored?

I know Hotfile offered cash incentives which was a dumb move really but I always thought it'd be the aforementioned sites who'd be chased after :confused:

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    This may seem like a stupid question but Hotfile basically offers online storage - would sites like warez-bb or projectw not be seen as the bigger evils seeing as these are the sites that people use to share links to the materials stored?

I know Hotfile offered cash incentives which was a dumb move really but I always thought it'd be the aforementioned sites who'd be chased after :confused:

If You close warez-bb or the likes they change name or move to another web host and open again tomorrow, the same reason thepiratebay or newzbin still exist even though they were taken down, its only a website, doesn't host anything. Hotfile actually host the material on physical servers

Hotfile are not doing anything illegal, as they comply with the DMCA by removing copyrighted content once it has been reported, the only thing I could see this changing is hotfile penalising people for uploading copyright material like youtube do, but I'd say nothing will come of it

Nick

Megashare.com
    If You close warez-bb or the likes they change name or move to another web host and open again tomorrow, the same reason thepiratebay or newzbin still exist even though they were taken down, its only a website, doesn't host anything. Hotfile actually host the material on physical servers

True, I'd imagine a company like Hotfile has resources that would allow them to do similarly unless they're hit with a massive fine though

True, I'd imagine a company like Hotfile has resources that would allow them to do similarly unless they're hit with a massive fine though
    Well, if they fine Hotfile for rewarding piracy (uploaders), then they'll stop rewarding uploaders... and as what happened to rapidshare, the uploaders will find another site which rewards them, and the entire saga begins once again.

It really is a game of "cat and mouse", with MPAA being the cat. I think RS got off easy, but if HF is brought down hard, a few other companies may sit up, take note, and change their policy on rewarding uploaders.

But the thing is, rapidshare gave people points for uploading, which allowed them to download. Hotfile gives uploaders cash. And thus because of this, I'd say Hotfile will not get away with it as easy as Rapidshare did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Hotfile isin't illegal? So all you guys are paying to download legitimate files?

That's grand.

Hotfile isin't illegal? So all you guys are paying to download legitimate files?

That's grand.

Is Google illegal? Is youtube illegal? Just because these services can be used for piracy doesn't make them illegal, as I said like youtube hotfile responds to DMCA takedown requests, so instead of "video removed due to violation" hotfile shows file has been deleted, as a file host service is perfectly legal coupled with the fact its against hotfiles terms to upload copyright material they are breaking no law, they have no idea what is being stored on their servers until its reported

Nick

• Advertisement

Megashare.com
    Is Google illegal? Is youtube illegal? Just because these services can be used for piracy doesn't make them illegal, as I said like youtube hotfile responds to DMCA takedown requests, so instead of "video removed due to violation" hotfile shows file has been deleted, as a file host service is perfectly legal coupled with the fact its against hotfiles terms to upload copyright material they are breaking no law, they have no idea what is being stored on their servers until its reported

Nick

Yes, that's true.. and your not paying for the content you are downloading. What you are paying for is high speed access to the Hotfile servers.

Do hotfile seek out copyrighted files by comparing the hashes of reported files to everything else on the server? I think Rapidshare do this.

techguy wrote: »
    Do hotfile seek out copyrighted files by comparing the hashes of reported files to everything else on the server? I think Rapidshare do this.

All file lockers do this, it saves them storage space and bandwidth.

If you upload something and somebody else uploads the exact same thing (identical down to the MD5), they don't need to store it twice. So there's one copy and both sets of links point to the same file on their servers.

Now if someone reports the other guys file as being copyrighted content, the file itself gets removed from their servers (not immediately, you can appeal it). Because you are both sharing the same physical file on the servers, your links die also. And you can't reup a file with the same MD5.

So they're not really seeking out reported files, it is more a byproduct of how their system works.

Megashare.com
    All file lockers do this, it saves them storage space and bandwidth.

If you upload something and somebody else uploads the exact same thing (identical down to the MD5), they don't need to store it twice. So there's one copy and both sets of links point to the same file on their servers.

Now if someone reports the other guys file as being copyrighted content, the file itself gets removed from their servers (not immediately, you can appeal it). Because you are both sharing the same physical file on the servers, your links die also. And you can't reup a file with the same MD5.

So they're not really seeking out reported files, it is more a byproduct of how their system works.

Interesting stuff, I makes sense really.. :D

techguy wrote: »
    Interesting stuff, I makes sense really.. :D
    Many people add a random MP3, or picture to their mix, to generate a different hash. From the MPAAs point of view, they're still leaving said copyright material on the server, though.

How odd. Would you not just use a downloader program such as Flashget that would allow you to download multiple parts at the same time, quickening the download of that one file?
    with hotfile, im maxing out about 5% of the time.
    other times, its 1 - 2 mb/s :(
    As above, use a downloader program. In theory, this would allows several parts to come down at the "1 - 2 mb/s" speed, thus ensuring max speed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Uploading.to
    What about Fileserve ?

Megashare.com
    the_syco wrote: »
    How odd. Would you not just use a downloader program such as Flashget that would allow you to download multiple parts at the same time, quickening the download of that one file?

As above, use a downloader program. In theory, this would allows several parts to come down at the "1 - 2 mb/s" speed, thus ensuring max speed...

i use internet download manager.

with rapidshare and megaupload it get 3.8mb/s. im on a 30mb connection so its maxed out.

with hotfile, i still only get 1 - 2mb/s so im only getting about half my connection speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I'm on a one month trial with FileServe. with IDM I get ~520kbps on 3Mb connection.

I'm pretty happy with fileserve, I see a lot of people making the same complaints about HF over and over about speeds.

I think fileserve and HF are the best alrternatives to RS. I left it straight away after they changed it all and tried to get me to pay more on top of my subscription.

148153.PNG
    Just got on there. I can safely say I won't be going back to rapidshare :cool:

Megaupload.com
    I need some advice, I have an RS account and i always DL at about 2mb/s, i got a hotfile and a fileserve account and i usually only get 100kb/s-500kb/s, I am with UPC.

I also have a mydownloader account and that usually gives me between 500kb/s-1.5mb/s

Recommend me a popular filehost that is popular with warez-bb.org and rlslog.net That gets speeds equaling my RS speeds. Also prob better not to recommend if you are not using UPC

Thanks

Megashare.com
    stick with rapidshare.

they are getting more popular with uploaders.

as for using warez-bb.org and rlslog.net, i suggest you look at <snip>

actually, better not post links.. just google rapidshare forums.. you should find plenty of sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I second newzbin/usenet, it is by far the most organised and streamlined way.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

Megashare.com
    I was using Rapidshare for a long while but the links were becoming less and less common so I got Hotfile (well I didn't, my boyfriend did) and it's alright. The speed isn't as good but it seems alot more people are using it so it seems like a good choice for right now until the another one becomes the most popular one.

Megaupload.com
    plonk wrote: »
    I second newzbin/usenet, it is by far the most organised and streamlined way.

there is waay more of the content i am interested in on warez than on usenet

there is waay more of the content i am interested in on warez than on usenet

Eh :confused:
    Its the exact same content. When scene groups release new content, they get uploaded to torrent, fileshare and usenet at the same time. Usenet is just another method of obtaining that same file

• Advertisement
Advertisement