Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bike

Options
  • 01-07-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hmm I've been looking around for something that I could go down the side of a mountain with but also something I could use to carry me home from town! Been trawling through plenty of websites ie bike shops and buy and sell (based in Galway) looking for something around 300quid with no luck. :(
    Am I destined to walk the streets forever or will I eventually find my decent priced mount?

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭irlforum

Where have you looked? 300 is low for a bike but I'd say you should be able to pick something up in the likes of Smyths for that price.

Perhaps you may find something on chainreactioncycles.com which is a proper bike store based in the North with free shipping to Ireland. However you would have to build alot of the bike yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I checked donedeal and buy&sell.. also online at some bike stores in Galway.
    I know it's kinda low but it's all I can really afford at the moment. I guess I might have to keep on saving.

Cheers for the link, will check that out. Free delivery sounds awesome, no probs with building the bike myself. :)

Flojo wrote: »
    I checked donedeal and buy&sell.. also online at some bike stores in Galway.
    I know it's kinda low but it's all I can really afford at the moment. I guess I might have to keep on saving.

Cheers for the link, will check that out. Free delivery sounds awesome, no probs with building the bike myself. :)

Well if you really think your gonna stick at the mountain biking thing you should save more because you will find that the 300 bike just isn't light enough and have to buy another bike. Second hand might be a good option but you need to make sure the size is right aswell.

Yup I would need a small size as I'm only 5'6 so do you reckon I should try press on for secondhand small bike or maybe try a kids one lol?

Yup I would need a small size as I'm only 5'6 so do you reckon I should try press on for secondhand small bike or maybe try a kids one lol?

I haven't bought a mountain bike in a serious fashion but I have bought a racer and you need to get someone experienced to fit you properly or learn how to do it correctly from the net. I'd say it's the same with mountain bikes.

If you are getting into taking up mountain biking as a fairly serious hobby you need to make sure you get fitted right....sounds to me like your just assuming you need a small bike?

Given your budget....yes you should be looking at second hand. The main difference between a cheap bike and a better one is weight. Weight makes a big difference. You will need to buy a good helmet aswell. Most people cycling don't wear them but that's because there clueless. Most of those people cycle on the footpath aswell!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Nope I checked online on some biking website. They took your height into consideration. I wouldn't be doing it competitively or anything, I'd just like to be able to use it for getting around and for softcore mountain biking if I wished. Oh god yeah I would be using a helmet, rather not get my brains splattered on the pavement! Yeah almost got knocked down myself the other day... bloody kids! :mad:

Nope I checked online on some biking website. They took your height into consideration. I wouldn't be doing it competitively or anything, I'd just like to be able to use it for getting around and for softcore mountain biking if I wished. Oh god yeah I would be using a helmet, rather not get my brains splattered on the pavement! Yeah almost got knocked down myself the other day... bloody kids! :mad:

That's cool then. I'm not an expert or anything but I was just trying to help out with what I know. I think the right size does equal more efficient power distribution etc...it's important whether your competitive or not.

There is a good mountain bike track in Galway - you probably know about that do you? I know a fella that recommends and have seen pics on the web - looks good.

Yeah people that cycle on footpaths are so thick...It's like there brain is switched off. Cycling along....la la la...almost knocking over people. Have these people never walked - people can step left or right any second not aware of someone cycling right up behind them. Rant over.

Nah I would just be doing it for fun.. wouldn't have the money or the mobility to do it competitively! I haven't heard about it actually, what is it called?

Haha rant away, the worlds full of inconsiderate fools.. only solace is that they'll get their comeuppance someday! :P

Nah I would just be doing it for fun.. wouldn't have the money or the mobility to do it competitively! I haven't heard about it actually, what is it called?

Haha rant away, the worlds full of inconsiderate fools.. only solace is that they'll get their comeuppance someday! :P

Here's some info on the track - fairly organised professional type setup.
    http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/exec/view.cgi?archive=9&num=2160
    http://coillte.mountainbiking.ie/Derroura.html

Now after just looking at it there again I think it's more a trail rather than an extreme sport off road track. :(

Bit of info here on some possible fun - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53434632

All outside the city though unfortunately. If you decide to get a bike for city use only in the end due to their being no off road tracks locally don't get a mountain bike. Get something more suitable for roads. Not neccessarily a racer either if that's not your thing.

Cheers for the links hun! :)

Couldn't I get the body of a mountain bike and just change over wheels? Or get some sort of a hybrid bike?

• Advertisement

Cheers for the links hun! :)

Couldn't I get the body of a mountain bike and just change over wheels? Or get some sort of a hybrid bike?

Yeah a hybrid bike would be the right one to get really for city commuting I think.

Ehm I'm not sure about fitting a hyrid wheel to a mountain bike - If you can find out the dimensions of a hybrid wheel I could try and measure a mountain bike at home.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do though would be to ring a bike shop and ask them there - probably be the quickest and easiest.

Yeah you're right..will do that when I go back down to Galway. Just hope I don't get a yes man that would do anything to make the sale! Not exactly that clued up hehe.

Advertisement