Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maradona to visit Foxford in August?

• 01-07-2010 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=790:maradona-being-lined-up-for-foxford-visit&catid=45:latest-news&Itemid=48

:eek::D
    Foxford bound Diego MaradonaFlamboyant Argentina manager Diego Maradona is being lined up to visit Foxford in August, The Connaught Telegraph can reveal.
    Negotiations to bring him to the birthplace of Admiral William Browne, the founder of the Argentinean Navy, are at an advanced stage.
    Maradona is scheduled to bring his team to Ireland on Wednesday, August 11, for an international match to mark the official opening of the new Aviva Stadium in Dublin.
    It is understood he is willing to make himself available for the trip to Mayo during his short stay in Ireland.
    Members of the Admiral Browne Memorial Society in Foxford have been working closely with the Football Association of Ireland to bring the plan to fruition.
    An informed source stated: "There is a real prospect of Maradona coming to Foxford. That's all I can say at this point. The links being Argentina and Foxford are extremely strong because of the work of Admiral Browne.
    "It would be an added bonus if Maradona arrives in Mayo as manager of the 2010 World Cup winning team."
    Interestingly, the chief executive officer of the Football Association of Ireland, John Delaney, is paying a visit to Castlebar tomorrow (Wednesday) when it is expected further negotiations will take place in regard to Maradona's proposed Foxford visit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Man is he going to be disappointed. Suppose he'd do anything for money nowadays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Shure Foxford useta be da druggie capital of Mayo once upon a time...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Are they going to try and say he's a Mayo man now?

Just like they did with Barack Obama and Offaly,and Mohammed Ali and Ennis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Are they going to try and say he's a Mayo man now?

Just like they did with Barack Obama and Offaly,and Mohammed Ali and Ennis!

I doubt it, he has no heritage connecting him to Mayo (that I'm aware of anyway). Who knows, maybe the whole thing about Admiral Brown being a national hero in Argentina is completely blown out of the water. I just hope the county board have found a replacement for John O'Mahony by then, otherwise we'll have to put up with plenty of, "ara sure, they're gettin' him in to replace Johnno, hahahahaahha", etc.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe the whole thing about Admiral Brown being a national hero in Argentina is completely blown out of the water.
    Nope, he's a hero. I have a photo here somewhere of a statue of him down at the harbour in Buenos Aires.

Between Almirante Brown and el Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins, there's quite a strong Irish vibe in parts of South America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

:eek: Wow - would be brilliant! Best footballer of my generation - Pele predates me a little! I'll be there!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Any chance that the piece in the Telegraph might be bulls**t? They are noted for sending out flyers without any depth to them. Think there is more chance of John O'Mahony rejoining Galway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Maradona is no longer coach of Argentina so the chances of this happening are somewhat slimmer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Either way, it feels great to live in Foxford :D

Former Druggie Capital? Important word - former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Doocey wrote: »
    Either way, it feels great to live in Foxford :D

Former Druggie Capital? Important word - former.

Ye still hvae a 'good' name in certain circles;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Maradona is no longer coach of Argentina so the chances of this happening are somewhat slimmer now.

Yes he is, where did you hear that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭madmac187

Guys is he going to Castletown as well to score ten spots from the Viper and learn some fighting tactics from French Toast :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Yeah I think so Madmac.

Paying a trip down to Big Mick for a job. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

He might wait and take up the Mayo senior football managers job, that gear does strange things to the mind!

Advertisement