Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy fresh meat

Options
  • 01-07-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi just wondering if you guy's can suggest some places to buy good, recession priced meat in the city???
    thanks y'all:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

+1.

I'd like to know too. Moving back to Galway in the next few weeks.

feericks in newcastle have pretty good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tiger2008

mims_lally wrote: »
    hi just wondering if you guy's can suggest some places to buy good, recession priced meat in the city???
    thanks y'all:)

o'connors meats beside menlow pk hotel

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Divillys butchers in Westside's pretty good.
    http://martindivillybutchers.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

Horse meat is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

definitely Divilly's in Westside - they have a great special offer on every week - four or five items for 20 Euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:eek: Divilly's is shocking when mit comes to price, if you want to get ripped off shop there. As said earlier 0 Conor's near menlo is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Oh, anything but Divilly's. Time and time again we got brown chicken nuggets (when fully cooked), dry meatballs, disgusting sausages and foul-smelling steak. When we got food poisoning on one occasion, we gave up.

Tormey's in the Galway Shopping Centre is the only place we'll go now, even though it means a commute across the bridge. They do the best barbecue sausages in town!

Although if you're a fan of sausages, anyway true Galwegian will tell you Herterich's next to the market is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I find Tormey consistently excelent for the quality of meat they serve.

Collerans on Mainguard St. are good too.

If you want any meat from a pig go to Heterich's. They even do pigs feet - sounds disgusting but they're actually quite tasty.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

:eek: Divilly's is shocking when mit comes to price, if you want to get ripped off shop there. As said earlier 0 Conor's near menlo is good.
    Its not the cheapest of the cheap but if you want cheap meat you sacrifice on quality.
    Oh, anything but Divilly's. Time and time again we got brown chicken nuggets (when fully cooked), dry meatballs, disgusting sausages and foul-smelling steak. When we got food poisoning on one occasion, we gave up.

Tormey's in the Galway Shopping Centre is the only place we'll go now, even though it means a commute across the bridge. They do the best barbecue sausages in town!

Although if you're a fan of sausages, anyway true Galwegian will tell you Herterich's next to the market is the best!

I have never had that experience with their stock.

• Advertisement

cosmic

it sounds like you don't know how to cook, rather than a fault with the produce.

Divilly's is spotlessly clean, and their meat is top class. Hence all the awards they have won.

easily the best butcher in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Many a times when im alone and forced to cook dinner Divilly's comes into play. Great place. Never had any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

They sure are great :) and they have crackin pudding too.

While Tormey's might have lovely food the prices are scandalous !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

They sure are great :) and they have crackin pudding too.

do they still do Vegie roll? like white pudding but way nicer?
    manys a time we'd have the rashers, sausages, pudding and vegie roll vacuumed packed from that place to bring over to relatives in UK and USA!

I'm not sure but they were savage alright...lots of Garlic and herbs in them mmmm I'll check at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Who is the butcher across from the Winding Stair in town? Next to the Spar?

They're very friendly and helpful but there are no prices on anything. The other week I went in and picked out a couple of marinated steaks for the dinner for myself and Himself.

He said "That'll be 12 euro please" 12 Euro! For one dinner!

I said Oh god I'm sorry, I'll have to leave it, I can't afford that! He said "Er...I'll give them to you for 10" That was nice of him but I couldn't afford that either! I'm on the dole!

I said "Do you have anything in the same line for less?" The answer was no.

So that was that. I'm not going to bother going there again. Nice people, but come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

The place you're talking about is Colleran's. And in fairness you were looking to buy two marinated steaks for one dinner, and were whinging that they weren't within your budget because you're on the dole. Do you see the same problem with this sentence that I do?

May I also strongly suggest you never darken the door of Tormey's (as previously mentioned) without a cardiac ambulance on standby...

cosmic

it sounds like you don't know how to cook, rather than a fault with the produce.

Unless you know me personally, don't you dare patronise my cooking ability. For all you know, me or the next person is a flipping Michelin star chef.

And no, I'm sorry, but the quality of food we've bought there for the past few years has been consistently crap. Chicken doesn't turn brown when you cook it. If you or anyone else has had a better experience, then by all means, keep buying from there. Whatever keeps people happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

my brother worked in Tormey's for a few summers. he said their meat was good, but they were pricier than other butchers. he found that most of the customer's were well-to-do.
    not sure if they're recession-priced though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

we've bought all our meat (except pork) from the mediteranian (muslim) store accross from dunnes westside for the past 2 years

cheaper and nicer quality meats in my opinion, 30 massive chicken legs for about €14/15 and ya won't get that in dunnes or tescos

my Indian friend put me on to it and he calls it the paki shop which always cracks us up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Where is the best place to buy fish around town ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

alibabba wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy fish around town ?

well you got deacys fishmongers by the kings head, Ali's down the west up passed the bierhaus or if you want wholesale prices head down the docks by the coal yard and the side of the hotel (can't think of the name of it now)

Elevator wrote: »
    well you got deacys fishmongers by the kings head, Ali's down the west up passed the bierhaus or if you want wholesale prices head down the docks by the coal yard and the side of the hotel (can't think of the name of it now)

Is Ali's the same business as Mermaid or did it change hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Changed hands I think frog. Well I'm hoping it did since they found the body(If im thinking of the same place)

Unless you know me personally, don't you dare patronise my cooking ability. For all you know, me or the next person is a flipping Michelin star chef.

And no, I'm sorry, but the quality of food we've bought there for the past few years has been consistently crap. Chicken doesn't turn brown when you cook it. If you or anyone else has had a better experience, then by all means, keep buying from there. Whatever keeps people happy.

it turns dark brown if you OVERCOOK it cosmic. Refer to my original comment:D

the fish shop in the docks is called Galway Bay Seafoods - lovely shop and far cheaper than in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

it turns dark brown if you OVERCOOK it cosmic. Refer to my original comment:D
    Dolphin, it is possible that cosmic is reffering to there being dark meat in the nuggets:

From Wikipedia:
    The meatiest parts of a bird are the flight muscles on its chest, called breast meat, and the walking muscles on the first and second segments of its legs, called the thigh and drumstick, respectively.
    White meat has less oxygen-carrying myoglobin than the dark meat, and is thus lighter in color. Dark meat comes from muscles more heavily exercised, which therefore have more fat stored in them. This accounts for dark meat's reputation as being both unhealthier and more flavorful than white meat.

Do play nice.

yes, but then she must be purchasing the chicken nuggets consisting of dark meat and wanting to turn it into a chicken fillet or something. Thats never going to happen - if she wants white meat chicken then she must purchase chicken breast/fillets. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Good god even mcDonalds use white meat in their mcNuggets now, it would be ridiculous to expect a local butcher not to meet that low standard!

Why do I feel like I'm feeding mcNuggets to the trolls here??

Advertisement