Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy fresh meat

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I would agree with that openbake, but the last poster suggested that maybe she had purchased dark meat - I was merely saying that if she purchased white meat chicken then it should not turn brown unless overcooked. And yes I do agree that even the chicken nuggets would be made from white meat now, which enforces the fact that they were probably overcooked - also the "dry" meatballs were probably not cooked correctly.

but I was just giving the benefit of the doubt to the last poster who suggested it cold have been the dark chicken meat purchased, and so this would be the reason it would go "dark"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

It was me that suggested that there was dark meat in them, and I did not suggest that cosmic intended to buy dark meat!

Dark meat is unnacceptable in any breaded product, even more so from a butcher. Cosmic, did you return the nuggets?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I was out in the moycullen market today and there's a stall there from these guys. Good quality stuff.
    They just got approval, so the guy is telling me, for a stall in the saturday market in Galway. Said they'd be up the back by the fishmongers come mid july. So yet another reason to visit the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Thanks for the fishy replies. Any idea where i could get fish east side? Did i see a place across from thomas mcdonaghs?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

To be honest I think you can either get good meat OR cheap meat.

Now that I'm in full time employment I'll always pay for the best available, which is IMO, Tormey's. I cross the bridge for it. I don't see the point in paying 10 for two striploins in a supermarket when they're all gristle when I can pay an extra 5 for a top notch one.

I don't eat meat every day but when I do I want a good cut that obviously comes from a well cared for animal.

I used to work in Divilly's and to say that it's spotless is an understatement. I would be astonished if someone was sold spoiled meat there. Actually I don't think I'd believe it. I don't think they've as good cuts as tormey's though, I found the last batch a bit fatty and gristley.

FISH:
    Gannet in the eyre square centre (back door) have some beautiful fresh fish. I don't know anywhere on the east side though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

I have nothing against tormeys. I have spent a fair few bob there but in other places too for much much cheaper and the quality is the same, sometimes better than tormeys. We really need to find out where the butchers get their meat from. They are suppose to display on the shop floor origin of beef. It would be really interesting if a report on this was done around town. Think about it. I should have also mentioned, never ever recieved a bad cut from tormeys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

yes, but then she must be purchasing the chicken nuggets consisting of dark meat and wanting to turn it into a chicken fillet or something. Thats never going to happen - if she wants white meat chicken then she must purchase chicken breast/fillets. :D

He - my name is Aaron. Hence the link below and the full name in my profile, if you had paid any attention.

And I don't think it's acceptable to get any old meat thrown into chicken nuggets. As a poster above said, even McDonalds use white meat in their products, so I'd expect similar or better from a butchers.

Perhaps you should just stop assuming I'm cooking everything wrong, when everything similar I've gotten from other butchers has always turned out perfect. I can cook quite well, I'm not an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

He - my name is Aaron. Hence the link below and the full name in my profile, if you had paid any attention.

And I don't think it's acceptable to get any old meat thrown into chicken nuggets. As a poster above said, even McDonalds use white meat in their products, so I'd expect similar or better from a butchers.

Why though? Since when has chicken nuggets been shorthand for best cuts of meat? Did it occur to you that the mcnuggets could be that colour for reasons other than the meat used?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    To be honest I think you can either get good meat OR cheap meat.

Now that I'm in full time employment I'll always pay for the best available, which is IMO, Tormey's. I cross the bridge for it. I don't see the point in paying 10 for two striploins in a supermarket when they're all gristle when I can pay an extra 5 for a top notch one.

I don't eat meat every day but when I do I want a good cut that obviously comes from a well cared for animal.

I used to work in Divilly's and to say that it's spotless is an understatement. I would be astonished if someone was sold spoiled meat there. Actually I don't think I'd believe it. I don't think they've as good cuts as tormey's though, I found the last batch a bit fatty and gristley.

FISH:
    Gannet in the eyre square centre (back door) have some beautiful fresh fish. I don't know anywhere on the east side though.

I dont know, I buy all my meat in supermarkets, Usually super value an I think there meat is very good quality. Things like mince are the same everywhere but you can get very nice stakes in supervalue and also dunnes where I got 4 fillet steakes for 12 euro recently and they were very good.

Stuff in Tormeys etc will be a little bit better but not by enough to justify the difference imo. Nice once in a while but not for everyday.

Supermarket meat sucks.

• Advertisement

In fairness to those with complaints about divillys' - they have roasts on special atm which are labelled as dry aged, but they are bright red and there's blood in the roasting foil they come with, both dead giveaways that the meat hasn't been hung or not for long enough. I go to divillys fairly often since its the closest to me, but I'm realistic about the quality there. Unfortuntely fewer and fewer butchers actually hang their meat, so it is hard to get better quality elsewhere in the city.

Was in there earlier today. They have a lot of friendly young fellas in there but clearly they're not trained butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

alibabba wrote: »
    Thanks for the fishy replies. Any idea where i could get fish east side? Did i see a place across from thomas mcdonaghs?

Gannet have their factory across from MacDonaghs, also there's another one there too a little further up, not sure if Gannet sell from the factory though.

Supermarket meat sucks.

Tesco meat sucks Supervalue especially and Dunnes meat is in general very good. I think people must be convincing themselves thats its so bad because I cannot see this massive difference between supermarket meat and butchers meat except for a price difference.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

In fairness to those with complaints about divillys' - they have roasts on special atm which are labelled as dry aged, but they are bright red and there's blood in the roasting foil they come with, both dead giveaways that the meat hasn't been hung or not for long enough. I go to divillys fairly often since its the closest to me, but I'm realistic about the quality there. Unfortuntely fewer and fewer butchers actually hang their meat, so it is hard to get better quality elsewhere in the city.

On the subject of aged meat, M&S do a packet of 6 vacuum packed 21 day aged steaks for 18.99. My god they are wonderful tasting, but on the thin side for ~€3 a steak, but cheaper than a big mac if you can put it that way!

Nice, I never shop there cause its a bit out of the way for me but might start to look into whatever deals they have for meat from time to time. what cut was that out of interest?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Nice, I never shop there cause its a bit out of the way for me but might start to look into whatever deals they have for meat from time to time. what cut was that out of interest?

Couldn't tell you offhand. Probably very thin striploins but could be completely wrong, I didn't pay attention in that home economics class.:)

I'm getting another packet today.. I think other people might be put off by stumping up 20 quid all at once, but it's six dinners for me when I add in some cheap veg.

I actually took a pic of one:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/162852/118737.jpg

lol It usually says what cut they are on the pack. No worries it sounds good, next time I want some meat beyond mince I'll check out M&S, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tiger2008

:eek: Divilly's is shocking when mit comes to price, if you want to get ripped off shop there. As said earlier 0 Conor's near menlo is good.

frank o'connor meats the best meat in town by far

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Elevator wrote: »
    cheaper and nicer quality meats in my opinion, 30 massive chicken legs for about €14/15 and ya won't get that in dunnes or tescos
    Mutants then.

If your prepared to travel you'll get better quality meat for a better price out the country.

Hearts in Dunmore slaughter their own animals, it's hung for 3 weeks at least and he's cheap. A friend who's big into his cooking swears by him.

There was an award winning butchers in Tuam too but I'm not sure if it's still open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

where are the o'connor butcher referenced above?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

sonandheir wrote: »
    where are the o'connor butcher referenced above?
    Castlelawn Heights, Headford Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

For cheap meat thats pretty decent Joyces in Knockacara is pretty good, they have the big ad in the paper so you can check what specials they have (the sirloin isn't the best but at 8 or 9 euro a kilo you can't go wrong).

For fish, is Galway Bay Seafood really the cheapest in the city, was in there today and smoked coley was 8.50e (at least a euro too expensive) bags of mussels 4e (looked like a kilo or less) while Salmon was 15e plus. Those aren't cheap prices for fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Miose

I wouldn't buy meat from Joyces if my life depended on it! In fact, I probably wouldn't buy a tin of beans from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Miose wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy meat from Joyces if my life depended on it! In fact, I probably wouldn't buy a tin of beans from there.

Completely agree with you!

They were convicted a few years ago of breaches of the food hygiene regs in relation to their meat storage, and judging by the literally rotting vacuum packed pork fillet they sold me a few weeks ago, nothing much has changed. They're somewhat notorious among professional butchers for the sloppiness of the whole operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

On the subject of aged meat, M&S do a packet of 6 vacuum packed 21 day aged steaks for 18.99. My god they are wonderful tasting, but on the thin side for ~€3 a steak, but cheaper than a big mac if you can put it that way!
    Aldi are selling aged Angus steaks now as well. Very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

churchview wrote: »
    Completely agree with you!

They were convicted a few years ago of breaches of the food hygiene regs in relation to their meat storage, and judging by the literally rotting vacuum packed pork fillet they sold me a few weeks ago, nothing much has changed. They're somewhat notorious among professional butchers for the sloppiness of the whole operation.

The rest of the shop has improved somewhat(and I say that cautiously,believe me), but I don't think the same thing can be said about their meat. Ever before I even knew of their conviction, it always struck me as there being something not right with it, and I don't think much has changed. Even the funny smell around the meat counter is off putting. Their shop is busy as ever tho.

The butchers that was mentioned in Dunmore, is he on the main street of the town or what? He sounds great, it's exactly how our butcher at home does it. Rears his own, kills his own, hangs his own. It's a brilliant way of doing things and the meat is amazing as a result. I will deffo take a trip to Dunmore to investigate:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Deacys on High St is pretty cheap and decent for fish, but Gannet Fishmongers in the Eyre Square Centre would be my choice, they are knowledgeable, helpful and not too expensive and have a pretty good selection.

Advertisement