Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing up an old Yamaha Pacifica

• 01-07-2010 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Right, I have this old Yamaha Pacifica lying around for ages that needs doing up. It needs pickups anyway, cos it has none in it right now. It's a HSH config.

So first of all i could do with some recommendations on 2 humbuckers and a single coil for it, not overly expensive and versatile enough for most genres of music.

Secondly I'd like to hear any other mods people have made to their Pacificas... The tuners feel a bit flimsy and dodgy so I might toss them and get new ones. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Parsley wrote: »
    It's a HSH config.

So first of all i could do with some recommendations on 2 humbuckers and a single coil for it,

You mean HSS then? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

You mean HSS then? :)

they made them in HSH back in the day

48888_l.jpg

I would also look into replacing the bridge with a good quality wilkinson...makes a great improvement. The slot in trem arm is very nice. I have 2 strat type pacificas already and changed out the bridges on both and upgraded to SD pickups. My tuners were fine though. Pacificas are lovely instruments.

punchdrunk wrote: »

Wonder what model it is .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Wonder what model it is .....

eh...I've no idea! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

What style of music do you play?

I put EMG HZ pickups in a HSS strat, single coil size, and they sounded great. I've sold it since, but I still have a cort with the humbucker version, they're really warm sounding, similar to a les paul sound, and the single coil versions had a bit more bottom end to them than a strat pickup. A neck HZ humbucker and middle single coil would be pretty nice and very versatile. I found I could get anything from classic rock to metal, to alternative with the right pickup selections and settings. Sounded best with a tube amp as well, the two went well together.

I'd maybe go for something with a little more bite at the bridge though. The strat with the HZ's had a Gibson Dirty Fingers clone, which really cut through for lead, so that might be a decent choice. Depends what you're playing though, it was a fair bit harsher than the other pickups, and it might be a bit much for the classic rock style, great for the alt rock style though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

What style of music do you play?

I put EMG HZ pickups in a HSS strat, single coil size, and they sounded great. I've sold it since, but I still have a cort with the humbucker version, they're really warm sounding, similar to a les paul sound, and the single coil versions had a bit more bottom end to them than a strat pickup. A neck HZ humbucker and middle single coil would be pretty nice and very versatile. I found I could get anything from classic rock to metal, to alternative with the right pickup selections and settings. Sounded best with a tube amp as well, the two went well together.

I'd maybe go for something with a little more bite at the bridge though. The strat with the HZ's had a Gibson Dirty Fingers clone, which really cut through for lead, so that might be a decent choice. Depends what you're playing though, it was a fair bit harsher than the other pickups, and it might be a bit much for the classic rock style, great for the alt rock style though.
    I've been a bass player for a few years, but I've had this old yamaha lying around for ages and I've decided I want to start playing guitar properly now so it's time to do it up and make it giggable. I'd be playing pretty much any and every genre of music as my taste has no bounds. From what I've heard of EMGs I don't really like them though.

48888_l.jpg

That be the one I have. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

48888_l.jpg
    Thatd be an ERG121..... not a pacifica...

And in my opinion thatd also be a guitar that isnt worth doing up so much unless it has sentimental value.

Advertisement