Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Harley Davidson?

• 01-07-2010 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

I found this bike (Harley Davidson MT350) for sale. Even though it's an old enough year (1996), it's a Harley Davidson and has fewer than 9,000 miles on it. And IT'S LESS THAN 2,500!

I'm not into the military stuff myself so, if I got this, I'd be taking off the gun-carrier thing and probably the front panniers too. But does anyone know anything about these bikes? Because it seems to be a fairly sweet deal if one is into these old-looking models.

Opinions?

car_MT350-Harley-Davidson_152_20_index.php

http://www.moto4u.ie/car_MT350-Harley-Davidson_152_20_index.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

1996 is not old and if you're buying something like this because of the name then I wouldn't bother.

Its a military bike and drives like one, if you want a HD then get a proper HD not this thing.

Personally I'd love the MT350, then again I am a bit weird like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 imthetourguy

Just to let you know, that seems a tad expensive to me. I came across your post while looking for MT350's for sale. If you want one of these, go on to www.mtridersclub.co.uk as there are plenty for sale on there a lot cheaper and usually in fully restored condition. Also, www.forcemotorcycles.com is a very reputable seller of these bikes. I and the club members deal with him all the time because he now owns everything to do with this bike i.e. he bought the contents of the harley MT350 production line as well as their spares department last year.

I'm currently in Belfast and there is a number of owners in Ireland who meet up occasionally. I even believe there is a guy in ballymoney or ballymena who has 10 MT350s for sale around £1600. At least they are on the same land mass and you can go and have a look.

Great bikes, I have owned 2 of the Armstrong MT500's and on the look out for another one :) They are versatile, can be maintained and pretty much stripped and rebuilt with 4 tools, but are dam heavy and an old design (originate from an SWM designed in the early 80's). But, they are indestructible. Even if the cam belt snaps, you throw another one on and there is no damage to the engine.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

First of all, as pointed out, it's not a Harley, it's Rotax-engined Armstrong. Which is a good thing, btw.......the only reason for the H-D badge is so that the US forces would buy them.

Anyhoo, it's way over-priced.

And, I'd wager, that's one of 2 that were auctioned in a liquidation sale here recently, and I can guarantee too you that the bikes went for nothing like that money.

If you want to buy, fine, but offer 1500.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    First of all, as pointed out, it's not a Harley, it's Rotax-engined Armstrong. Which is a good thing, btw.......the only reason for the H-D badge is so that the US forces would buy them.

Anyhoo, it's way over-priced.

And, I'd wager, that's one of 2 that were auctioned in a liquidation sale here recently, and I can guarantee too you that the bikes went for nothing like that money.

If you want to buy, fine, but offer 1500.

That's pretty much it. The MT350 solved a lot of the issues with the Armstrong (disc brakes, electric start) and the HD badge helped to shift a few. My mate actually said it was the worst of the three bikes he tested for the MOD in every aspect other than it fitted easily into the back of a Land Rover, could be serviced very easily and it wasn't built by countries the Brits were previously at war with (Suzuki DRZ, Cagiva Elephant). But, it was enough for him to select it and the Brits bough quite a few.

What liquidation sale was that? Any more on sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Interesting. Yeah, I never would have bought something like this just because (technically, at least) it's a HD. What I like about it is that it's supposed to be tough as nails, it seems like the kind of bike I could finally learn some maintenance skills on (particularly with the military handbook for it you can buy quite easily). But I really appreciate yere views on the price. If I go ahead with this, I think I'll just be looking for a direct swap with a 125 I have at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up - and anything else anybody wants to add.

• Advertisement

They are superb bikes to learn how to spin spanners on. Jump onto the owners club website and you will find a buyers guide as well. www.mod-sales.com sell them in tenders, but often what you buy from there is scrap. I would buy either on the owners club or ebay i.e. a bike that has been out for at least a couple of years on public roads and had all the problems ironed out. Rather this than someone who has bought a bike from a tender for £500 and is advertising it for £1250 having done nothing to it.

And btw, these things were built to carry 2 x 100kg squadies + 2 x 30kg back packs, 2 x 20litre full fuel cans, an SA80 and then some. So, they are dam rugged!

Advertisement