Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the difference between Computing and Computer Science?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but...

What is the difference between Computing and Computer Science?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Probably better off in "Education". Anyway, I'm Computing in ITT and my mate is doing Computer Science in DIT, we've both just finished 1st year and well apart from learning difference lanuages the modules seem very very similar, we both done the likes of Operating Systems, Computer Architecture, Web Design/Development, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Depends on the college but a fairly general definition would suggest that computing science is more theoretical and mathematical, i.e. lots of logic and algorithms, whereas computing may be more practical - learning different programming languages and environments. It does really depend on how it's interpretted, but that's generally what I'd expect to hear if I was interviewing someone with either of those qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Might be better off in Education, but I wouldn't mind seeing an industry perspective so we might leave it here for a little while...

Advertisement