Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basmati Rice

Options
  • 01-07-2010 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

I have made lovely fluffy basmati rice on a gas cooker but cant get anywhere near the same result on my normal hob cooker.

Is there a reason for this and has anybody else had similar experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Ozil

When I'm cooking it on the hob, I just make sure to wash it 3 times and then put exactly 2:1 ratio of water to rice. Then I am covering the pot and leaving it alone on the highest possible heat (9 on my cooker) until it boils, when it boils then I reduce it very low (1 on my cooker) and leave it alone (but still covered) for 20 mins. It's very important not to stir it at any point through the cooking because when cooking on the hob (not sure about gas) the rice cooks from the top of the pot downwards. If you stir it, everything gets messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I've got an electric hob (unfortunatly). When I'm cooking rice I always use 2 hobs. Start it on one hob on the highest level, at the same time turn on another hob on at a low level. When the rice has been boiling on the hot hob for long enough stitch it to the other one and let it sit there for however long you normally cook it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wash it, get the water boiling fast then add the rice, get the water boiling as fast as possible and stir just enough to stop it sticking to the bottom.
    Drain when as soft as desired..before the water turns milky. Adding too little water will make a sticky mess, when in doubt add more water.
    Or get a rice cooker :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

you need to understand what u are doing and have a fool proof method. otherwise its hit and miss no matter what cooker u cook on. most people dont have a clue how to cook rice.

here is a simple method which will work every time.

wash 2 cups of rice and soak in water for 20mins
    add 2 tbs of oil to a suitable pan and heat on high.
    drain and add the rice with 3 cups of water.
    bring to the boil, put the lid on and simmer for 6 mins(do not remove the lid during this 6mins).
    after 6mins turn off the heat, remove the lid and allow the steam dissapate. stir and leave to stand for 5 mins.
    then stir again until all the steam dissapates. then put the lid on until you use the rice or it will become lumpy.

its nice to add a teaspoon of cumin seed, 3 cinnamon sticks, 3 star anaise, 6 green cardamoms if available while u are heating the oil. also add a teaspoon of turmeric when u add the water to give a nice colour and numerous health benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

you need to understand what u are doing and have a fool proof method. otherwise its hit and miss no matter what cooker u cook on. most people dont have a clue how to cook rice.

any chanceof enlightening us then please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wash it (I generally just put the rice in a sieve and rinse it under running water), then put it in a bowl and cover with water and soak for 15 minutes. Then drain and put in a pot with the right amount of liquid (which is less than 2:1 and which gets smaller with larger amounts of rice, though it never reaches 1:1. For a cup of rice, a cup and a half of liquid; for two cups of rice, 2.75 cups of liquid; for 3 cups of rice, 3.5 cups of liquid and so on). The liquid should already be boiling, and flavoured liquids can give nicer rice, so I usually throw a stock cube in there while bringing the water to a boil; but you could just do it in real chicken stock if you had it to hand. Once the rice goes in, stir it once to distribute the grains, bring the liquid back to the boil, then cover the pot with a teatowel and put the lid of the pot on the towel, thus sealing the whole thing up. Leave it on full heat for three minutes, then turn the heat down to low for seven minutes, then take the pot off the heat and leave it sit for ten minutes more untouched. Then open and fluff up the rice with a fork.

Advertisement