Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane's Headbutt

• 01-07-2010 4:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

i know this old news but when zidane got sent off for headbutting materazzi who was it that alerted the referee to the incident as to my recollection the ref didint see it nor the linesmen.

just watching a programme on bbc news 24 called click and they were talkin about goaline technology bein introduced. the sports journalist on it said that zidane was sent off because the 4th official looked at a replay of the incident and then informed the ref to what zidane had done and then zidane was sent off. surely if the game can be stopped to dish out punishment it can be stopped to see if it was a goal or not. sometimes doesnt the ref go back and hand out a yellow/red cards after the advantage is given to fouled team so why not go back and see if it was a goal or not.

my point is fifa refuse to entertain replays/technology for goals/non goals (ok now they say they might look at it) but yet in the world cup final of 2006 it was used to send a player off. usually the norm for incidents that refs/linesmen/officials dont see is usually viewed after the game then punishment is handed out. double standards from fifa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVL14JT7j9Y check out this link its the only one i could find with real time footage(sorry commentary isnt english) but what i can make out the ref doesnt send zidane off straight away. the ref arses about a bit then after a while consults the linesman then sends off zidane. surely if the linesman has seen it he should immediately call it to the refs attention, but no it takes forever for the ref to consult anyone.

so was it the 4th official who saw a replay then informed the linesman who then in turn told the ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My understanding of the incident was that the 4th official had seen it and he alerted the Ref. AFAIK there was no replay looked at. Im open to correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness, slack standard from FIFA aren't anything new.

I think the problem with FIFA, and with all FA's really, is that they're not answerable to anyone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

As far as I remember the fourth official did see it on a video replay before alerting the referee but the ref and FIFA denied this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah the replay was shown on a huge, four sided screen suspended above the centre of the pitch IIRC.

• Advertisement

Thing is, a lot of sending off decisions do come a while after the incident due to the 4th offical, with or without them seeing a replay. With sending offs it does seem to be a bit different so yeah I suppose you're right, why do it for one part of the game if not in another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

As far as I remember the fourth official did see it on a video replay before alerting the referee but the ref and FIFA denied this.
    +1
    I was watching it live and it was blatantly obvious that the 4th official made the call after seeing the replay. The commentators even made reference to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

At the time I said "What he did isn't acceptable, but they can't send him off"

It was so obvious that a replay had been seen. Like with the Tevez goal, the linesman wanted to change his call having seen the replay.

And OP, the ref will never play advantage and then go and hand out a red card. If it's red the game has to stop, if it's yellow he can let the game continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's how I remember it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

tolosenc wrote: »
    At the time I said "What he did isn't acceptable, but they can't send him off"

It was so obvious that a replay had been seen. Like with the Tevez goal, the linesman wanted to change his call having seen the replay.

And OP, the ref will never play advantage and then go and hand out a red card. If it's red the game has to stop, if it's yellow he can let the game continue.
    ok maybe not a red card but ye know what i meant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

ok maybe not a red card but ye know what i meant

I did, yeah.

Advertisement