Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Places in DIT

Options
  • 01-07-2010 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Hey, anyone applied for a Masters or Postgrad in DIT for the coming year? Have you heard about your place yet? I've applied for the MSc in Advertising and haven't heard a thing and I'm starting to get pretty impatient. I've sent several emails asking about it but got no reply. I wouldn't mind if the emailed me and said I won't be notified for another few weeks/a month because then I'd just forget about it for a while but I had expected to hear by now and it's getting very frustrating not knowing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Hi conf101,

I applied for this course, had the interview at the end of May, and received an offer last week.

I'd say if you haven't heard anything, it's not a good sign. Did you get called to the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Hi Roy, congrats on getting the place. I actually just got a call from Rosie Hand, the course coordinator, today. I was supposed to be called for an interview but for some reason I wasn't, she's arranging to interview me next week. Phew!

What was the interview like? What kind of things were you asked? Any tips? I'm a little nervous because my portfolio wouldn't be particularly big but sure all I can do is do my best!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

I presume it's the creative stream you're going for then? Designer, writer?

I was asked questions like:

-What do you know about the course?
    -What do you know about the advertising industry?
    -Tell me about ads you like/your favourite ad? Why?
    -Why do you want to do this course?
    -Why do you want to work in advertising?
    -Why do you think you'll be a good fit for this course?

It's a short enough interview -- at least, it was when I was there. They were running late though, so I might have gotten the condensed version :)

Good luck!

Yup, creative stream. Cheers for the tips. Hope the interview goes well now and that I find out fairly soon after whether I'm successful or not.

Got word on Friday that I got my place so all is good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 irishconejo

Hi, I have applied for the course for next year and have a phone interview next week (as I am in the middle of my finals and can't take the time out to fly to dublin for it).

Applying for the creative stream as well and would like to work in copywriting.

Basically just want to know what kind of standard of a portfolio do they look for? I have a couple of industry standard magazine ads that I have created and 3 or 4 radio scripts that I have written for different types of campaigns. Although none have been used they have been considered by senior creatives in ad agencies.

Could you give me some advice as to what else I should include? Or, perhaps, tell me what you included in yours, this time last year?

Cheers

That sounds to me like a pretty good portfolio to be going in with. It doesn't have to be a particularly expansive one, so long as it shows that you have a certain amount of creative ability.

The majority of people who are currently on the course didn't have any advertising in their portfolio when they applied (me included) so it's already a good start having ads in there and showing that you've worked on ads before. Definitely mention that they've been looked at by senior creatives before, mention what agencies they were from too.

Like I said, your portfolio doesn't have to be massive, just so long as it shows that you're a creative person.

Best of luck with the interview. If you need any more info then fire ahead

Edit: Should also have mentioned that scripts are perfectly fine to bring in, as are sketches of ads etc. If they're finished to industry standard then all the better.

Cheers for the help conf, had the interview this afternoon and I reckon it went really well. They didn't ask me any of the questions I imagined would come up (whats your favourite ad? why? etc) but did ask me about advertising in the current economic climate.

They seemed to be somewhat impressed by my portfolio, cv and work experience and paid me a few compliments. Tone of the interview was pretty relaxed (maybe as it was over the phone I just wasn't as nervous) and I don't think it could have gone much better.

Not gonna count my chickens just yet though! Good luck with the RSA gig on the 9th. Looking forward to seeing what the class of '11 comes up with!

PS Ended up writing a couple more scripts up over the weekend for TV and radio ads and threw in some posters I made for a charity pub quiz a couple of months back. I digress, cheers for your help!

Glad to hear it went well. Best of luck anyway. Hopefully you won't be long waiting to hear back

...was offered a place by the wednesday (2 days later)! Pretty chuffed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bannabannana

Hi guys,
    I had an interview for this course 3 and a half weeks ago and was told they'd let me know about places in the next 2 weeks, thought the interview went well but i see another poster has been offered a place already so obviously i presume i haven't gotten in.

Just wondering do DIT contact you to let you know even if you haven't gotten a place? Do they contact you by post/email/phone usually?
    It'd be nice to know either way so i can decide what to do or do they make you wait until september for rejection letters? :(

Hey banna,

Although I was offered my place relatively quickly I have spoken to others who have done the course in previous years and they didnt receive word so soon after the interview.

When I asked the interviewers how long I would be waiting to hear back, they said it should be soon but could be anytime in June. Also there is a deadline after which an offer is made by which time you must pay an acceptance fee of 300 euro. If you don't make the deadline (and I nearly didn't) they offer your place on to somebody else.

Conejo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bannabannana

Thanks for reply :)
    I've sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aoife_OS

Hey guys,

I applied for the MSc Advertising and I got an offer on the 31st may, a week after my interview. They give you two weeks to reply to the offer, so maybe they make more offers after the initial round. Fingers crossed for you banna!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DiegoMaradona

Hi i also applied for the Advertising Masters in DIT...Felt interview went well but havent heard anything yet...

what will ye do if ye dont get it?

im gonna pack my bags and go off to germany perhaps where the jobs are

Aoife, are you going for creative or executive stream?

I only need to find out my degree results to be accepted at this stage as I've paid the deposit and accepted the offer. One more week until I find out if I'm in or not...

Diego, if I don't get in I'll probably just build up as much work experience in copywriting and do as many internships as possible then reapply next year! Makes more sense to do it that way i reckon, plus if you re-apply they'll know you REALLY want it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kate1987

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I have applied for the Masters in Advertising(Creative) in DIT but have heard nothing yet. Does anyone know when the final offers will be out?

I'm not sure what to do if I don't get that course. I've been offered a place on the Creative Advertising Course in Edniburgh Napier and also a place on the Advertising Course in Kingston University London.

I could also apply for the Diploma in DIT...

Bascially if anyone has any advice on what to do next I would really appreciate it..

Thanks. :)

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I have applied for the Masters in Advertising(Creative) in DIT but have heard nothing yet. Does anyone know when the final offers will be out?

I'm not sure what to do if I don't get that course. I've been offered a place on the Creative Advertising Course in Edniburgh Napier and also a place on the Advertising Course in Kingston University London.

I could also apply for the Diploma in DIT...

Bascially if anyone has any advice on what to do next I would really appreciate it..

Thanks.

Well done on the other offers! I thought the Edinburgh course looked really good but forgot to send my application of in time! I personally don't know when the offers cease but I imagine since many people (myself included) are still waiting on their results and degree classifications that it may be another week or two. Have you been told if you are on the waiting list or not? The other day I spoke to someone who was number 6 or 7 on the waiting list last year but didn't receive a place as most people got at least a 2:2 and qualified for the course.

hey thanks for the reply :) Like I've literally heard nothing... so don't think its a great sign!! Im just not sure whether I should apply for the Diploma now, it will be the same people interviewing so I can't see how my chances would improve if you get me! Maybe I should count myself lucky with Edinburgh and just go for it. I'm keen to move back home so that is why I'd prefer Dublin over Edinburgh but besides that they both look like great courses. Congrats on your offer by the way and good luck with ur final results :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Applegoat

@kate
    I'd heard nothing at all from them either so sent them an email a few days ago and they got back to me straight away, it turns out i should've been offered a place weeks ago but was never contacted for some reason:eek:

From the sounds of things admins in a complete mess at the moment, no news is good news so if you haven't gotten a rejection then i'd say it's a good sign tbh! so defo give them a call or an email :)

Best of luck and congrats on the other offers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aoife_OS

Aoife, are you going for creative or executive stream?

I only need to find out my degree results to be accepted at this stage as I've paid the deposit and accepted the offer. One more week until I find out if I'm in or not...

Diego, if I don't get in I'll probably just build up as much work experience in copywriting and do as many internships as possible then reapply next year! Makes more sense to do it that way i reckon, plus if you re-apply they'll know you REALLY want it!

I'm going for the executive stream. I got offered the place, conditional on my results. I got my results last week and posted them off to DIT, so hopefully they will get back to me with a formal offer soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Macker655

Hi guys,

Ive also been accepted on the executive stream for the coming year! Received my offer a couple of weeks ago.

I paid the 300 euro fee already, does anyone know the payment structure for the fees??
    Also do the offer deferrals on the places for a year or this a no go??

Any advice would be great, cheers!

@Applegoat
    Thanks for the reply, I'll email them now and see what the story is! Fingers crossed and congrats on your offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I applied for a masters and within ten minutes of my application i got offered a place on the program , NO JOKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Little Pea wrote: »
    I applied for a masters and within ten minutes of my application i got offered a place on the program , NO JOKE!

Was it for this Masters? Did you not do the interview etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Davyhal wrote: »
    Was it for this Masters? Did you not do the interview etc?

No got offered a place on Msc Accounting in DIT no interview etc , I sent off my transcript and got accepted :-)

Does anyone on here know what day the induction is on? On the letter I received from DIT over the summer, it says that induction day is on Tuesday 13th September at 10.15 am but online it states that its actually on Monday 12th September at 11.15am.

Also have any other postgraduate students received "invitations to register" - I havent yet received this and am starting to think I may have been taken off the mailing list.

Advertisement