Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which road bike: Cube Agree GTC Race/Pro or Giant TCR Advanced 4?

• 01-07-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

Im looking to invest in a road bike. My budget is 2000€. Period.

During my research, three bikes have caught my eyes:

- Cube Agree GTC Race
    - Cube Agree GTC Pro
    - Giant TCR Advanced 4

Cube bikes seems to have better specs for the price while Ive been told that the Giant has a very good grade carbon frame.

FYI, I ruled out the Trek Madone 4.5 or any Specialized of the same class.

What is your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

Here are a number of options depending on your preference for groupsets

http://roseversand.com/bikes/racing-bikes/racing-bikes/red-bull-carbon-pro-4400-2010.html?cid=156&detail=1000&detail2=25802

€1,849 (Sram Force groupset 7.3kg)

http://roseversand.com/bikes/racing-bikes/racing-bikes/red-bull-carbon-pro-3000-2010.html?cid=156&detail=1000&detail2=25808

€1,799 (Ultegra 7.4kg)

This is a SL carbon frame
    http://roseversand.com/bikes/racing-bikes/racing-bikes/red-bull-carbon-sl-3000-2010.html?cid=156&detail=1000&detail2=30491
    €1,999 (Ultegra 7kg)

http://roseversand.com/bikes/racing-bikes/racing-bikes/red-bull-carbon-sl-5000-2010.html?cid=156&detail=1000&detail2=30501
    €2,049 (Sram Force 6.85kg)

All the Rose carbon models are very light compared to other carbon bikes with same groupsets. The last one listed is just over 2 grand but weights only 6.85kg Superb cost/weight value with an excellent groupset.

Delivery is €32 but get about 5000 points from the purchase which can be used for future shopping and is worth about €50.

I have bought my training and racing bike from Roseverand and very happy. You get a better bang for your buck.

Canyon is another excellent on line bike vendor but their carbon models start at 2.5K which is out side your budget. Also they are not fully configurable. Stem, crankset sizes are not interchangable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Esmimyst

They look great.. And very light but I'd prefer to test them before buying.

Today, Im going to test the Giant and on sunday the Cube Agree Attempt, which is a close match to the GTC pro or race.

For a 2000€ bike, I better buy the perfect fit than just guess according the geometry...

But, what height/inseam are you? Im 5"11 and 83cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

When you know exactly what your specifications and measurement requirements are buying on line is not a problem. But that said we all prefer to see in person what we are buying before forking out big bucks.

regarding size.
    I am 5' 81/2" frame sizes I have are a 54" training bike and 53" racing bike. frame size is obviously the first consideration but you also need to get the correct stem length for your reach, crank length, handlebar width & depth. You might be a 42 -44" wide your shoulder width determines your handlebar preference. Shops do not always consider the full requirements for a rider when selling a bike. Often the frame is the only thing that is properly measured up. as the bike is already built up. It is much better to get a bike built from frame up with each variable component specifically checked to ensure it "fits the rider".
    Also it is worth checking if there is an exchange program for items that do not fit. For example I can return a saddle (just did) with in 4 weeks if I do not find it comfortable.

Ok. I'll consider the Redbull bikes then.

Thanks for your expertise ^^.

Does anyone else has something to say about all this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Esmimyst wrote: »
    Does anyone else has something to say about all this

There are many more bikes than you'll see in your average local bike shop. Most of them are fine.

Think about the style of bike you want. Aside from anything else, you shouldn't be spending that sort of money on something ugly.

Here are a lot of bikes that might get your juices flowing.

Take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

Personally, I love the Cube (with a preference for the Race). The giant look ugly compared to them.

But then, the ride has to comfortable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Esmimyst wrote: »
    Personally, I love the Cube (with a preference for the Race). The giant look ugly compared to them.

But then, the ride has to comfortable...

+1 much prefr th look of the cube (From pictures) but then i like my focus cayo

Just tried the TCR Advanced 4 and I have to say I am not thrilled... After testing a Cube, I hope to decide...

Anyone has a GTC Pro/Race or a TCR? So far, got just opinions about other brands...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a cube agree gtc race. I have shimano tools so I would prefer it over the pro despite the extra 200 quid. Most reviews say the focus cayo is not as flash in comparison but equally good in components and quality. Let me know on your test ride. Some say the cube comes up small so err on the larger frame size.

I have tested a cube agree Peleton in 58cm and it was actually the right size. Im 5"11 with 34" inseam.

So I have placed an order for a Cube Agree GTC Race yesterday with a very good bargain. I'll pick it up tomorrow evening at CCS.

I'll put a detailed review after a few kms.

But the Race worth spending the extra cause it's full Ultegra drivetrain while the Pro has a FSA chainset which ive been told is not as stiff as the Ultegra.

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement

Can you order them in cycle superstore? If so I'll be up from Kilkenny to get sized up by them and reduce the risk of messing up. I'm 6 ft 4" with 34" jeans so I'm guessing a 60 cm frame

ashleey wrote: »
    Can you order them in cycle superstore? If so I'll be up from Kilkenny to get sized up by them and reduce the risk of messing up. I'm 6 ft 4" with 34" jeans so I'm guessing a 60 cm frame

Yes! you can even though they don't show on their website. However, the 60cm frame isn't available for the Race model anymore... I asked them because I initially thought a 60cm was my fit.

But there is still some Pro in 60cm left.

I can ask them tomorrow when I'll pick up my bike and keep up posted.

That would be great. Thanks very much. If it's not too cheeky to ask, what price are they quoting you? (you could pm the answer if at all).

Various sites say they can order a 60 cm frame, so I'm sure I could work something out with them. I would prefer to buy from a shop with sizing facilities and 6 week servicing, than a webstore, but if I have no choice...

Advertisement