Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Collections - attempted burglary?

Options
  • 01-07-2010 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Like most of you, you may have charity collections vans touring your estates in the early hours, distributing leaflets and taking bags.
    I'm talking realy early now, from 4am onwards.

I'm often awake at that time, going running, using my weights or studying for professional exams. It's such a habit now I might read in bed too

We have an external letterbox on the wall outside, it's nothing to do with the front door.
    Twice now in the last month, I hear people drop leaflets in the letterbox and then try to gently open our front door :eek:.
    I've seen our door handle moved so slowly downwards when I was close by too and some guy outside.
    It's locked of course.
    But why are they trying the front door??? Looking for an easy opportunity to break in? The letterbox is on the wall, not on the door

I got a reg, reported it to the local Garda station They took note of it.
    Then I told our local councillor who is usually on the ball and he was aware of it happening in the area, not sure what he can do but he is well respected in the area and does meet the senior gardai for our area.
    No, I didn't confront the lads with the van.
    I'm not imagining what happened! Now I'm not trying to start a fear mongering thread but has anyone else heard of this or witnessed it? I'm in Chapelizod/Ballyfermot area.
    When I lived near the city centre we were burgled, it happened a girl in work recently so I have a healthy fear of ever being in that situation again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'm in the same area OP,thanks for the warning. I too have a healthy fear,actually probably an obsession. Can't blame you for not confronting them.
    I would have however phoned the number on the leaflet,if there was one, and told whoever answered that I had reported the incident to the police. Who knows what that would achieve,but if they were employed by a legit comapnt,it might raise the awareness of their bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm not imagining what happened! Now I'm not trying to start a fear mongering thread but has anyone else heard of this or witnessed it?
    Several threads started here about this, it's not uncommon.

Of course it would be totally illegal to wire up your door knob to a 20,000V voltage inverter that only worked between the hours of midnight and 6am and I for one would be totally against such a device.

Advertisement