Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Feeding

Options
  • 01-07-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I just got 2 West Highland terriers and wondering how much to feed them?

On the packaging of the puppy food it says about 100grams - 140grams split up during the day. I'm going to feed them about 3 times a day as i've read.

I've measured the amount out and it's seems alot of my little pups. I got a cup from the pet shop and it's about 7 - 9 cups a day.. so about 2/3 each feeding.

pups are about 8 weeks old.

Yesterday i gave them 1 cup each and they didn't even finish it.. ( i only got them home about 5pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Measure it on a scales to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a measuring cup here and 100g is about two thirds of a mug, 140g almost a full mug, so I think either the cup you got is marked wrong or you're reading it wrong.
    Best thing is to give them the measured amount and leave it down for half hour, they stop eating when full. Whatever they leave, pick up and keep for next meal. If you keep getting food left over reduce the amount until they're eating it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

On the feed bag it gives recommendations on what to feed your pup. The way it usually works is that they recommend the amount to give on the size your dog will be when fully grown, so eg, a rottweiler, will be about 50kg fully grown so it will give a daily amount to give to a pup thats 2 months old and then you divide that up between 3 or 4 feeds per day.

Make sure the cup you get matches thbrand of food you have as if you sue a diff cup it wont be the same measurement for that particular food, so if its Royal Canin, use a Royal Canin cup.

Are you leaving the food out so they can free feed? If so its not a good idea to do this. They should have set mealtimes at set times and dont leave the food down if its not finished. You can end up with fussy dogs and can be quite hard to get them into a routine that way.

Best to set times and stick to them as dogs thrive on routine. Dont worry about them not eating it all up. Once they are healthy looking with enough weight on them im sure they are fine, but i would make sure you dont free feed as it can lead to problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Toulouse wrote: »
    Measure it on a scales to be sure.
    mymo wrote: »
    I have a measuring cup here and 100g is about two thirds of a mug, 140g almost a full mug, so I think either the cup you got is marked wrong or you're reading it wrong.
    Best thing is to give them the measured amount and leave it down for half hour, they stop eating when full. Whatever they leave, pick up and keep for next meal. If you keep getting food left over reduce the amount until they're eating it all.
    andreac wrote: »
    On the feed bag it gives recommendations on what to feed your pup. The way it usually works is that they recommend the amount to give on the size your dog will be when fully grown, so eg, a rottweiler, will be about 50kg fully grown so it will give a daily amount to give to a pup thats 2 months old and then you divide that up between 3 or 4 feeds per day.

Make sure the cup you get matches thbrand of food you have as if you sue a diff cup it wont be the same measurement for that particular food, so if its Royal Canin, use a Royal Canin cup.

Are you leaving the food out so they can free feed? If so its not a good idea to do this. They should have set mealtimes at set times and dont leave the food down if its not finished. You can end up with fussy dogs and can be quite hard to get them into a routine that way.

Best to set times and stick to them as dogs thrive on routine. Dont worry about them not eating it all up. Once they are healthy looking with enough weight on them im sure they are fine, but i would make sure you dont free feed as it can lead to problems.

I used a scale when measuring, Just a normal baking scale.. not digital tho..
    When i filled 1 cup it was about 17 grams - there's no markings on the cup.. its just plastic cup.

The side of the bag the smallest amount to give it 95grams

But i will try what you guys say and double check the amounts

Ohh and i dont leave food out for them. I'm trying to get them to eat when I do mornings afternoon and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Are you sure you're not mixing up 17grams with 17oz?
    My dog food(Royal canin) 17grams would be about 6-8 nuts! no way a cup full would weigh that little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DisForDerek

Don't pups stop eating when they're full? Just put out a reasonable amount and refill as they get through it!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

mymo wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not mixing up 17grams with 17oz?
    My dog food(Royal canin) 17grams would be about 6-8 nuts! no way a cup full would weigh that little.

+1,
    I also think this could be the issue.
    I have a baking scales at home that I used for measuring out our puppy's food....bit I wouldnt be able to measure out 17 grams.....wouldnt be able to read the scales with that accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Don't pups stop eating when they're full? Just put out a reasonable amount and refill as they get through it!:pac:

Nope, some pups will eat until they burst so thats very dangerous and can make a dog very sick.
    Please dont take this advice as its wrong and not safe for a little puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP what is the exact brand of food you are using and are you using the the proper brand cup to measure. You dont measure dog food by scale weight. it's measured by mass weight (eg. like in a measuring jug with the grams marked on it). Every food is different as the size of the nugget is different, there is less space in a cup of small sized kibble than a cup of large sized kibble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

OP what is the exact brand of food you are using and are you using the the proper brand cup to measure. You dont measure dog food by scale weight. it's measured by mass weight (eg. like in a measuring jug with the grams marked on it). Every food is different as the size of the nugget is different, there is less space in a cup of small sized kibble than a cup of large sized kibble.

Hey i figured it out.. I was way way wrong. On the cup i got from the pet shop it was measuring in "cups" it was a total of 1 cup. Then i looked it up on the net and seen 1 cup = 128grams ( hope that's right ) would it be ? so my pup was to have a total of 1 cup a day roughly. I split it up into 3 or 4 feeds. so about 2/8's a cup each feed.

I bought pedigree and Beta dog foods but i will be getting something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hey i figured it out.. I was way way wrong. On the cup i got from the pet shop it was measuring in "cups" it was a total of 1 cup. Then i looked it up on the net and seen 1 cup = 128grams ( hope that's right ) would it be ? so my pup was to have a total of 1 cup a day roughly. I split it up into 3 or 4 feeds. so about 2/8's a cup each feed.

I bought pedigree and Beta dog foods but i will be getting something new.

Find the best food to suit your budget, pedigree is one of the worst foods to be honest. You can't chop and change foods though especially with young puppys, you should initially be feeding them whatever the breeder was feeding them till they settle in and gradually over a week change over to the new food by mixing more and more of the new stuff in. The gut needs time to adjust to the new food and you can make ur puppy very sick if you keep changing its food.

Advertisement