Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

I think its kinda laughable tbh. Roy Hodgson! He`s good at getting the best out of the smaller teams but for him to manage a team with such high expectations i feel he will be found out.
    There first 6 fixtures arent the easiest either. It will be interesting to see how he does tho. I bet he cant believe his luck!

Saturday, 14 August 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Arsenal, 15:00
    Saturday, 21 August 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Man City v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 28 August 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v West Brom, 15:00
    Saturday, 11 September 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Birmingham v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 18 September 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Man Utd v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 25 September 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Sunderland, 15:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

irishejit wrote: »

It'll be interesting to see what he does with a larger kitty than he's used to

eh he's at liverpool, i can guarantee you he had more to spend at fulham this summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Normally managers tend to target one or two from their former club when they change jobs. I wonder will Hodgson do that? Maybe Danny Murphy could be on his way back to Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Let's write him off before he's started. Change the title to "Roy's Done"

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

eh he's at liverpool, i can guarantee you he had more to spend at fulham this summer...

not sure, if you believe everything he's expected to get about £15mill this season.

Out of the 9 players he signed last season 3 were on loan and one was free. Of the other 5, Damien Duff was really the only one that would have been any sorta value.

That said I think until the whole board saga is sorted out it'll just be another in a long line of disappointments for pool fans.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

And as good a manager as Woy is, i still can't see them challenging for a champs league spot this season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

saltie wrote: »
    I think its kinda laughable tbh. Roy Hodgson! He`s good at getting the best out of the smaller teams but for him to manage a team with such high expectations

Show me a Liverpool fan with high expectations in this current moment in time. If Roy can make a decent fist of a Top 4 challenge then he will have been a success in my humble opinion.

And as good a manager as Woy is, i still can't see them challenging for a champs league spot this season

thats npt what hes there for. he's there to make sure we dont fall away too much when we start selling players...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Pressure is the key here. Roy is a decent manager no doubt but Liverpool and Fulham are chalk and cheese in terms of expectation. I just hope he's given time.

thats npt what hes there for. he's there to make sure we dont fall away too much when we start selling players...

Surely for a team with the pools history is that not a bit pessimistic.... I know there will probably be some sorta fire sale but for a club that prides itself on past results...(we've won it five times anyone???) surely his remit is for titles again, not just contentment with mid table mediocrity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

SickBoy wrote: »
    Normally managers tend to target one or two from their former club when they change jobs.

In the gossip columns, perhaps. But in reality, managers rarely bring players with them from club to club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bad move for both clubs I think. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

saltie wrote: »
    I think its kinda laughable tbh. Roy Hodgson! He`s good at getting the best out of the smaller teams but for him to manage a team with such high expectations i feel he will be found out.
    There first 6 fixtures arent the easiest either. It will be interesting to see how he does tho. I bet he cant believe his luck!

Saturday, 14 August 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Arsenal, 15:00
    Saturday, 21 August 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Man City v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 28 August 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v West Brom, 15:00
    Saturday, 11 September 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Birmingham v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 18 September 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Man Utd v Liverpool, 15:00
    Saturday, 25 September 2010
    Barclays Premier League
    Liverpool v Sunderland, 15:00

Sure he only stablised Inter Milan after them coming about 13th the previous season and went to do a very good job there.

Very good for Liverpool IMO. If he does go for former players, if I was a liverpool fan id welcome the adition of Clint Dempsey should Roy go for him.

gavredking wrote: »
    Very good for Liverpool IMO. If he does go for former players, if I was a liverpool fan id welcome the adition of Clint Dempsey should Roy go for him.

+1 that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Hodgson the sell-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I think he'll turn out to be a good appointment. He has taken Fulham from the verge of relegation to the verge of winning a European trophy (without exactly breaking the bank), and you can't dismiss that.

It would be tough to claim back 4th with City around, hardly any money to spend, but I'd say you'll give a good shot as he'll get the best out of what you have already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This, basically. I'm expecting Masch, Kuyt and Torres to be sold over the next 6 weeks with little or no reinvestment in the squad. The owners are banking on Hodgson being able to keep things mid table while that is happening.

Surely for a team with the pools history is that not a bit pessimistic.... I know there will probably be some sorta fire sale but for a club that prides itself on past results...(we've won it five times anyone???) surely his remit is for titles again, not just contentment with mid table mediocrity?

You're out of your depth here buddy. There will be no title challenge from Liverpool F.C. this year. And until there is a more positive ownership situation, it is impossible to foresee a title challenge in the medium / long term future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I can see duffer getting a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

That BBC gossip page has him going for Gilberto Silva, Van der Vaart, Hangeland and Murphy. Twudn be the most reliable though.

i hear nottingham forest will be challenging for the premier league this year, sure they have won the european cup twice.

reality/dreams dougal.

people will see this year rafa was keeping our heads above water, will Woy do as good as a job - i font think so - therefor we can forget about the champions league for a while...

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    Sure he only stablised Inter Milan after them coming about 13th the previous season and went to do a very good job there.

lies, he took them over they had finished 6th the season before, he finished 7th and then the following season he got them to 3rd and was sacked...

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Roy Hodgson manager of Liverpool? Just doesn’t have a proper ring to it, he’s basically a journeyman manager who is now getting on a bit. Nice guy and maybe he will do ok, I have my doubts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

lies, he took them over they had finished 6th the season before, he finished 7th and then the following season he got them to 3rd and was sacked...

:o Seems you are right, Inter finished 13th and then finished 6th, I was under the impression he took them over when the finished 13th and rhen guided them to 6th, woops.

Hold my hands up, I was way off :pac:

Carry on......

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You're out of your depth here buddy. There will be no title challenge from Liverpool F.C. this year. And until there is a more positive ownership situation, it is impossible to foresee a title challenge in the medium / long term future.

I had actually made that exact point myself in an earlier post

That said I think until the whole board saga is sorted out it'll just be another in a long line of disappointments for pool fans.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

What i was getting at is that I don't think Hodgson himself is going there thinking he's going to wallow in mid-table. He'll be aiming for at least a champs league spot.....although i think me, you and the vast majority of people think thats just a pipedream

What i was getting at is that I don't think Hodgson himself is going there thinking he's going to wallow in mid-table. He'll be aiming for at least a champs league spot.....although i think me, you and the vast majority of people think thats just a pipedream

Still a lot of people out there today talking along the lines of "Hodgson a great pick up for Liverpool, going to be back in the mixer for 4th, going to play better next season, blah, blah". Sigh.

people will see this year rafa was keeping our heads above water, will Woy do as good as a job - i font think so - therefor we can forget about the champions league for a while...

seriously??? i thought he was the one trying to duck your heads under the water!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The best Liverpool can hope for this season is 4th - and that is a real tough ask. A top 6 or 7 placing is much more realistic imo. Hodgson is an excellent choice though of doing the best with limited resources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

greendom wrote: »
    The best Liverpool can hope for this season is 4th - and that is a real tough ask. A top 6 or 7 placing is much more realistic imo. Hodgson is an excellent choice though of doing the best with limited resources

I'm pretty sure a decent chunk of Liverpools supporters would be delighted with 4th next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Essien wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a decent chunk of Liverpools supporters would be delighted with 4th next season

Absolutely - any of them with a healthy degree of realism anyway.

• Advertisement

Lads, I'll get down on my knees and worship a statue of Roy Hodgson as my Lord and Saviour if we get 4th next season. Any Liverpool fans who wouldn't join me in that act need their ****ing heads examined! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

if we can keep the team together we can finish in the top 4 if we can keep our big names fit and we find a bit of form.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    if we can keep the team together we can finish in the top 4 if we can keep our big names fit and we find a bit of form.

So, if everything goes as perfectly as possible we could finish 4th? Which means our reasonable mean expectation for the season is not great right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

If Rafa had stayed and been given £15m to add to the squad (without any major leavers) we would be expecting a top four finish. So Roy has to work under the same expectations imo.

If Rafa had stayed and been given £15m to add to the squad (without any major leavers) we would be expecting a top four finish. So Roy has to work under the same expectations imo.

Rafa is a much better manager though. If he had stayed and the squad was kept together my expectations would be radically different than they are now.

Expecting...yes.......actually getting....no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

greendom wrote: »
    A top 6 or 7 placing is much more realistic imo.

so you get rid of manager who gets the team a top 6-7 finish, you install a new manager to do the same thing and pay £10m for the privilege

seems bad business to me

rossie1977 wrote: »
    so you get rid of manager who gets the team a top 6-7 finish, you install a new manager to do the same thing and pay £10m for the privilege

seems bad business to me

yesh.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

So, if everything goes as perfectly as possible we could finish 4th? Which means our reasonable mean expectation for the season is not great right?

I don't think it's beyond the current squad of players to finish fourth, its a big ask but certainly not impossible. Keeping Torres(at the club and fit) and Mascherano would go a long way towards it, I can't see this happening though.
    You're right in what you say though, Liverpool will need pretty much everything to go there way if it's gona happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Rafa is a much better manager though.

Point still stands though regardless of who the better manager is. Under the same conditions it would be the minimum acceptable requirement for Rafa and anything less would be a fail, so it should be same now for Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Personally I think Hodgson is nuts to go to Liverpool, the majority of the fans continue to have completely unrealistic expectations for next season and beyond. I can't see them hanging on to some of the bigger players this summer, and don't think the money will be there to replace them adequately so in all likelihood it will be a weaker squad next season. Think fourth is a massive ask, and I'd view a europa league spot as successful season. Having said that, I think Hodgson is a decent man and a good manager, so wish him well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Surely it's very unlikely that Roy will get that money and have no major players leaving.

I know a lot of people think differently but imho Roy is a better manager than Rafa. Whatever the, most likely, horrible circumstances Hodgeson is going to have to work with over the coming season, I believe you're better off with him in charge.

Honestly, considering the situation at the club, I think he is mad to go to Liverpool just now. Although I suppose at his age the pay rise is more important than the probable damage to his cv.

Edit: I don't mean that to sound like I think he's a mercenary. I think he's a decent bloke. He has to weigh up all the pros and cons and maybe short term money is best for him right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think people are under-estimating Roy a bit. I think he's a very good manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Wreck wrote: »
    Personally I think Hodgson is nuts to go to Liverpool, the majority of the fans continue to have completely unrealistic expectations for next season and beyond. I can't see them hanging on to some of the bigger players this summer, and don't think the money will be there to replace them adequately so in all likelihood it will be a weaker squad next season. Think fourth is a massive ask, and I'd view a europa league spot as successful season. Having said that, I think Hodgson is a decent man and a good manager, so wish him well.

BS to be honest. Surprise surprise a certain anti Liverpool pundit said the same thing in his column this morning. It's bollocks.

yom 1 wrote: »
    Point still stands though regardless of who the better manager is. Under the same conditions it would be the minimum acceptable requirement for Rafa and anything less would be a fail, so it should be same now for Roy.

*Shrug

It's moot anyway, because the squad will be significantly weakened over the coming weeks. Its going to be the worst season for Liverpool since the early nineties. There are a lot of people still living in la la land right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

15 million wouldn't even buy you a full Glen Johnson so I don't see how that would raise expectations too much to be fair. Hangeland will cost in the region of 8-10m alone if the club goes for him (he has 3 years left on his contract at Fulham).

Excluding the Jerzy Dudek Champions League (and resulting European Super Cup) for a minute Rafa's record for 6 years is an FA Cup and a Charity Shield, Houllier had a better record than that and I wouldn't rate him particularly highly in the greater scheme of things.

With the career Roy has had up until now there's a certain amount of risk involved in picking him to take over, but, there's risk in every managerial appointment. Rafa is gone because he failed and failed badly last season. Roy has got the job now, it's only fair to support him in it and see how he does. Chances are it won't be worse than 09/10 anyway.

Degag wrote: »
    I think people are under-estimating Roy a bit. I think he's a very good manager.

He's a good manager alright, but i think he's made a foolish choice as has been said on here in previous posts.

Look at his 3 options

1) Liverpool post - Has the prestige of managing one of the former Big 4 but as said before the expectation is going to be a fright from a lot of fans

2) Hang On for England Job - do i even need to explain more about why this would've been a bad choice (though i could see him going there after the 2012 Euros once Capello balls up and the expectation isn't fulfilled from his Liverpool time)

3) Stay at Fulham - Already a hero after last season, starting to build a nice balanced team, and probably double or three times the money that he'd have had in previous seasons given ol' daddy Al fayed getting a nice full wallet from the sale of Harrods.

I know which one i'd have chosen!!!

15 million wouldn't even buy you a full Glen Johnson so I don't see how that would raise expectations too much to be fair. Hangeland will cost in the region of 8-10m alone if the club goes for him (he has 3 years left on his contract at Fulham).

Excluding the Jerzy Dudek Champions League (and resulting European Super Cup) for a minute Rafa's record for 6 years is an FA Cup and a Charity Shield, Houllier had a better record than that and I wouldn't rate him particularly highly in the greater scheme of things.

With the career Roy has had up until now there's a certain amount of risk involved in picking him to take over, but, there's risk in every managerial appointment. Rafa is gone because he failed and failed badly last season. Roy has got the job now, it's only fair to support him in it and see how he does. Chances are it won't be worse than 09/10 anyway.

Don't worry buddy, the last sentence will be proved as wrong as the rest of your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    BS to be honest. Surprise surprise a certain anti Liverpool pundit said the same thing in his column this morning. It's bollocks.

I haven't read any papers or columns today so no plagiarism involved :pac:. I'm not anti-Liverpool either, I just think that given the current financial situation and ownership structure at the club they will struggle to finish top four, and that not finishing top four will be seen as a failure by a lot of the fans. Given the crazy way football works, this will have an effect on Hodgson's future as Liverpool manager and his reputation in football general. Outside of the money, which I doubt he needs anyway, it seems like a certain loser for Hodgson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

The big difference between Rafa and Roy is that Rafa couldn't hack the backroom politics, and ultimately let it spill onto the pitch.

Roy on the other hand has a bit of experience in this kind of thing, what with Inter and all, and more importantly he knows what he's getting into. His job is not to push on, but to stop the rot and stabilize the club's on the field performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

He's a good manager alright, but i think he's made a foolish choice as has been said on here in previous posts.

Look at his 3 options

1) Liverpool post - Has the prestige of managing one of the former Big 4 but as said before the expectation is going to be a fright from a lot of fans

2) Hang On for England Job - do i even need to explain more about why this would've been a bad choice (though i could see him going there after the 2012 Euros once Capello balls up and the expectation isn't fulfilled from his Liverpool time)

3) Stay at Fulham - Already a hero after last season, starting to build a nice balanced team, and probably double or three times the money that he'd have had in previous seasons given ol' daddy Al fayed getting a nice full wallet from the sale of Harrods.

I know which one i'd have chosen!!!

Well, Hodgson is in his 60's and Liverpool is a far bigger job than Fulham. I think 99% of people would make the switch regardless of the problems they would face.

I'm not too sure if Al Fayed will invest too much in the club either. More a gut feeling than anything else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement