Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, but this is it for his career. He couldn't fold and wait for a better opportunity. He just doesn't have enough hands left to play as a 63 year old with a questionable track record.

It's not an ideal opportunity for him. But it was the only one he was going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Wreck wrote: »
    I haven't read any papers or columns today so no plagiarism involved :pac:. I'm not anti-Liverpool either, I just think that given the current financial situation and ownership structure at the club they will struggle to finish top four, and that not finishing top four will be seen as a failure by a lot of the fans. Given the crazy way football works, this will have an effect on Hodgson's future as Liverpool manager and his reputation in football general. Outside of the money, which I doubt he needs anyway, it seems like a certain loser for Hodgson.

Well I can tell you, personally speaking, that I'll be delighted with a decent challenge on the Top 4. I can accept just falling short if we gave it a proper effort. Considering the squad we have (I don't think we'll lose all of our big guns), I don't think that's unrealistic at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

No doubt Rafa is a better manager in my opinion but something had gone very sour last season and it's doubtful it would have been turned around given the stance of both parties. Hodgson is a clean slate if you will; I think most Liverpool supporters would be of the view that a medium-long term outlook is needed starting with Hodgson stabilising the club as leninbenjamin pointed out with the ownership problems being sorted out in the interim which will allow the club to kick on from there.

The big difference between Rafa and Roy is that Rafa couldn't hack the backroom politics, and ultimately let it spill onto the pitch.

Roy on the other hand has a bit of experience in this kind of thing, what with Inter and all, and more importantly he knows what he's getting into. His job is not to push on, but to stop the rot and stabilize the club's on the field performances.

Meh, I am certain part of the reason they went for Hodgson is because they know they'll be able to walk all over him when it comes to club politics. Benitez was a thorn in their side, he simply wasn't accepting their inability to invest in the squad the past couple of seasons.

Hodgson will be happy to be here, and will keep his head down. Perfect appointment from their perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Im gonna find it harder to hate Liverpool with the likable Woy at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

For the people suggesting Hodgson should have stayed at Fulham; Liverpool are an infinitely bigger club than Fulham despite the turmoil and who in their right mind wouldn't want a cut at that? He's deserving of his chance, lets see what he can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't worry buddy, the last sentence will be proved as wrong as the rest of your post.

Well, I'm basing this on there still being a Torres and a Gerrard on the team sheet come the start of next season. If there isn't then City and Spurs won't be the problem, Everton, Villa and Birmingham will.

15 million isn't a realistic transfer budget for a team trying to get back in the top four when the main rivals for that fourth place have spent 26m on one player with more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Meh, I am certain part of the reason they went for Hodgson is because they know they'll be able to walk all over him when it comes to club politics. Benitez was a thorn in their side, he simply wasn't accepting their inability to invest in the squad the past couple of seasons.

Hodgson will be happy to be here, and will keep his head down. Perfect appointment from their perspective.

I love the way people make hard and fast assumptions about the character of people they don't know and have never met.

Rafa was intensely political and that was to he detriment, its why Purslow booted him out. Nothing to do with results per se (though that was the pefect excuse Rafa handed to them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Excluding the Jerzy Dudek Champions League (and resulting European Super Cup) for a minute Rafa's record for 6 years is an FA Cup and a Charity Shield, Houllier had a better record than that and I wouldn't rate him particularly highly in the greater scheme of things..

You cant just take away wins to suit your arguement.

If thats the case then, take away all the competitions Fergies won at Utd and he's had over 20 trophyless seasons. He should have been sacked years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stekelly wrote: »

If thats the case then, take away all the competitions Fergies won at Utd and he's had over 20 trophyless seasons. He should have been sacked years ago.
    You can say though that Liverpool have won sfa with the team that Rafa built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eagle eye wrote: »
    You can say though that Liverpool have won sfa with the team that Rafa built.

Well then whatever Hodgson achieves next season is down to Rafa.

Houllier couldnt manage to win the Uefa cup the year before with his team but when Rafa wins the CL, it's Houllier?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

*Shrug

It's moot anyway, because the squad will be significantly weakened over the coming weeks. Its going to be the worst season for Liverpool since the early nineties. There are a lot of people still living in la la land right now.

I'm hoping your wrong but very, very afraid you are right.

mike65 wrote: »
    I love the way people make hard and fast assumptions about the character of people they don't know and have never met.

Not unlike yourself young Mike when you start throwing around things like 'he's lost the dressing room' huh?

Well then whatever Hodgson achieves next season is down to Rafa.

Houllier couldnt manage to win the Uefa cup the year before with his team but when Rafa wins the CL, it's Houllier?
    I didn't say that Rafa wasn't responsible for winning the CL. I said that the team he built himself won nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Safe pair of hands and he knows the english game well. The man has a hint of genius about him and can spot talent, I think if LFC can hold on to the players they have with some tweaking (Torres backup etc) he will bring a champions league place. I don't want to sound over enthusiastic but its been a while since I've been confident about Liverpool and the change in direction is a welcome one.

Seriously lads the prospect is mouthwatering, the idea of the same 11, Liverpools strongest players starting every week ! Lets hope we don't pick up injuries...

• Advertisement

Not unlike yourself young Mike when you start throwing around things like 'he's lost the dressing room' huh?

I'll take it you are right in that, cos I can't recall if I stated that as a fact. Though I may have speculated.

You are not even speculating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Not my first choice but a solid pair of hands none the less, champions league place next season is as high as my expectations will allow,
    If he can pull that of I will add him to the christmas card list....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I didn't say that Rafa wasn't responsible for winning the CL. I said that the team he built himself won nothing.

the fa cup winning team of 2006 only had 4 houiller signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Take away the same two trophies from Fergie and you're left with 1 Champions League, 11 Premier Leagues, 5 FA Cups etc...
    The point is this, one Champions League win does not make Rafa manager for life - immune from all criticism for an indefinite period of time. Outside of that CL win his record was distinctly ordinary and a 7th place finish meant he had to go.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Just wording, I did say sfa originally.

• Advertisement

GK 25 José Manuel Reina
    RB 3 Steve Finnan
    CB 23 Jamie Carragher
    CB 4 Sami Hyypiä
    LB 6 John Arne Riise
    RM 8 Steven Gerrard (c)
    CM 14 Xabi Alonso
    CM 22 Mohamed Sissoko
    LM 7 Harry Kewell
    CF 9 Djibril Cissé
    CF 15 Peter Crouch

I don't want to defend Eagle eye's point but there are 7 players that are there that were there under Houiller.

JJJJNR wrote: »

Seriously lads the prospect is mouthwatering, the idea of the same 11, Liverpools strongest players starting every week ! Lets hope we don't pick up injuries...

you do realise its roy hodgson that has taken the job, he is basically a carbon copy of rafa just without the trophies at the top level

You are not even speculating.

I've decided the current owners are guilty until proven innocent. Shoot me.

I don't want to defend Eagle eye's point but there are 7 players that are there that were there under Houiller.

learn to read, 4 houiller signing there, finnan, riise, kewell and hyypia. carragher and gerrard started under evans, cisse started under rafa, the rest were signed by rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As someone with little love for Liverpool this is yet more great news.

Hodgson is a solid if unspectacular manager and has been brought in to do nothing more than stabilise the team under severe constraints. Liverpool have always been a side to fear but I think those days are gone for the forseeable future, and clubs like City, Villa and Spurs must be delighted.

The fact that it cost about £8 million or so to get rid of Benitez and appointing Hodgson only takes away from what little available funds there would be.

Unfortunately for Liverpool fans, they're going backwards and it could get much worse if there is an exodus on the horizon.

Great news for the rest of us though.

learn to read, 4 houiller signing there, finnan, riise, kewell and hyypia. carragher and gerrard started under evans, cisse started under rafa, the rest were signed by rafa

No you,

Eagle Eye's post said a team & I responded to your point while mentioning his.

I've decided the current owners are guilty until proven innocent. Shoot me.

Er no, you are deciding Roy Hosdgon is guilty until proven otherwise, read your own post!

Hodgson will be happy to be here, and will keep his head down. Perfect appointment from their perspective

you do realise its roy hodgson that has taken the job, he is basically a carbon copy of rafa just without the trophies at the top level
    I suppose you are going to tell me he plays the same formation as Rafa and all now.

Well lets correct you before you get going. You seen a couple of European games where he played that formation but Roy Hodgson prefers to play a 4-4-2 formation very similar to Capello with one wide midfielder tucking in deep in midfield.

Er no, you are deciding Roy Hosdgon is guilty until proven otherwise, read your own post!

Oh right, you think Hodgson will kick up a fuss if players are sold and he sees no discernible increase in his transfer budget of £15m? Fine, I'm not speculating, but I remain perfectly comfortable with the assumptions I'm making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Take away the same two trophies from Fergie and you're left with 1 Champions League, 11 Premier Leagues, 5 FA Cups etc...
    The point is this, one Champions League win does not make Rafa manager for life - immune from all criticism for an indefinite period of time. Outside of that CL win his record was distinctly ordinary and a 7th place finish meant he had to go.

:pac:

• Advertisement

I suppose you are going to tell me he plays the same formation as Rafa and all now.

Well lets correct you before you get going. You seen a couple of European games where he played that formation but Roy Hodgson prefers to play a 4-4-2 formation very similar to Capello with one wide midfielder tucking in deep in midfield.

Just like Benitez he likes to define individual roles in minute detail, and provide specific instructions for specific situations. He is cautious by default, and doesn't leave players with free roles or licenses to express themselves. All of that is fine, it is a methodology that has been successful in football during the past, and will be again in the future. But it is straight from the Benitez school of management and tactical planning.

That the preferred base formation is different does not really matter all that much - they are cut from the same cloth in terms of their overall approach to the game. The difference? Benitez has won an awful lot more in a much shorter space of time as a manager.

People who didn't like watching Liverpool under Benitez or Houllier aren't going to see a whole lot of difference under Hodgson. Anyone claiming any different is either ignorant of reality or being deliberately dishonest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Xavi6 wrote: »

Hodgson is a solid if unspectacular manager and has been brought in to do nothing more than stabilise the team under severe constraints. Liverpool have always been a side to fear but I think those days are gone for the forseeable future, and clubs like City, Villa and Spurs must be delighted.

The fact that it cost about £8 million or so to get rid of Benitez and appointing Hodgson only takes away from what little available funds there would be.

Unfortunately for Liverpool fans, they're going backwards and it could get much worse if there is an exodus on the horizon.

as a liverpool fan, hate to agree with you on some levels, the budget is low, uncertainity on the future of certain players, we/hodgeson need to hold on the ones we have, hopefully take on or two from fulham with him.

couple of things do concern me also, he has managed alot of clubs during his career, but they have all been just for a few seasons barr 1985-1990 with Malmö FF (Swe). not sure if thats a good or a bad thing, but just hope he can cope with the step up and the anfeild board gives him the change to suceed, honestly cant see much happening this season, as pointed earlier, if he can get a top four, will be happy.

apart from that, quite happy, he proved him self with fulham last season, getting a small club all the way to a euopean final dispite everyones doubts.

time will tell, as said lets hope he gets the chance.

plus no get out clause for england, if leaves for them with two years, seemingly the FA will have to pay compo.

Outside of that CL win his record was distinctly ordinary and a 7th place finish meant he had to go.

define ordinary.....

liverpool finished second season before last on the same number of points that chelsea won the league this season, liverpool lost 5 league games between season 2007-09, they won an fa cup, reached another champions league final and another semi-final where they lost to chelsea in extra time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

xavi i've always felt your hate for liverpool is so petty and bitter, how well did you take people dancing on city's grave a few years back when they were muck?

xavi i've always felt your hate for liverpool is so petty and bitter, how well did you take people dancing on city's grave a few years back when they were muck?

Ah listen Ross, Xavi is irrelevant when the subject is Liverpool. It's the football fan equivalent of small man syndrome. Best ignored:

haters.jpg

It was part and parcel. I didn't expect our rivals to feel sorry for us. It's got nothing to do with bitterness (what would I be bitter about?).

Liverpool are a big club who have always been challenging for the top spots. City would like one of those top spots so of course we're going to be happy with the current predicament.

Basic logic I'd have thought.
    Ah listen Ross, Xavi is irrelevant when the subject is Liverpool. It's the football fan equivalent of small man syndrome. Best ignored:

Nothing I said was incorrect, otherwise you would have picked it apart with a clever gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lets just face it. Liverpool are just like the English soccer team. A few world class players, huge hype, huge expectation, huge letdowns. Consistently don't deliver.

Nothing I said was incorrect, otherwise you would have picked it apart with a clever gif.

Yeah, I know. All of the factual points included in that particular post have been made this week by Liverpool posters on here. BastardPrince was taking issue with your overall mindset against Liverpool. You know, the foam at the mouth hate that spills out of your posts on the topic...;)

Yeah, I know. All of the factual points included in that particular post have been made this week by Liverpool posters on here. BastardPrince was taking issue with your overall mindset against Liverpool. You know, the foam at the mouth hate that spills out of your posts on the topic...;)

No foam whatsoever, I'm all smiles at the moment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Let's write him off before he's started. Change the title to "Roy's Done"

Is it the end for Roy and Liverpool? :D He's taken them as far as he can...

Seriously though, as a United fan I obviously have no love of Liverpool but they have a good manager. I just hope it does not ruin Hodgson's reputation. Most in Ireland and England previously viewed him through the bad time he had at Blackburn instead of his stellar (if not spectacular) record elsewhere. Would be a shame to see his good work on his reputation at Fulham undone.

Xavi6 is not a (soccerball) mod anymore and you can tell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just watching the press conference, it's hardly inspiring stuff. 'I can't make Gerrard and Torres stay' 'The ownership issue is above my head, I don't care about it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

It was part and parcel. I didn't expect our rivals to feel sorry for us. It's got nothing to do with bitterness (what would I be bitter about?).

Liverpool are a big club who have always been challenging for the top spots. City would like one of those top spots so of course we're going to be happy with the current predicament.

Basic logic I'd have thought.

ha dont kid yourself, you've only been our rival for a year, before that it was like saying liverpool and boro were rivals...

yet the hatred was there....

ha dont kid yourself, you've only been our rival for a year, before that it was like saying liverpool and boro were rivals...

yet the hatred was there....

And why is it such a problem for someone to dislike a particular club?

If haterz are gonna hate then leave them at it. You or anyone else is under no obligation to engage in conversation.

Anyway, it's all off topic. Good luck Roy and the Pool etc etc.

• Advertisement

And why is it such a problem for someone to dislike a particular club?

If haterz are gonna hate then leave them at it. You or anyone else is under no obligation to engage in conversation.

no but if someone hates my club for bs reasons and comes out spitting bile everytime its brought up, i'm gonna defend it. if you hate us so much dont read threads about us, wouldnt want to stress yourself out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

no but if someone hates my club for bs reasons and comes out spitting bile everytime its brought up, i'm gonna defend it. if you hate us so much dont read threads about us, wouldnt want to stress yourself out :D

He's perfectly entitled to hate whoever for whatever reasons.

Ush1 wrote: »
    He's perfectly entitled to hate whoever for whatever reasons.

absolutely, but should i go into a united thread and just start posting random bits of hate coz i hate them? no, either contribute or gtfo...

What bile is there in this thread? I was honest and said I don't like Liverpool while also explaining the reasons why the whole thing is good news for other clubs.

There were no outlandish accusations or unsubstantiated comments (in fact, according to Lloyd, I was merely reiterating what you guys have already spoken about) so imo you're being uber sensitive here.

I promise though I'll be really objective towards you lot this season if given the room to be so ;)
    absolutely, but should i go into a united thread and just start posting random bits of hate coz i hate them? no, either contribute or gtfo...

This is what I don't get - I did contribute.

It was you and Lloyd that attacked me. But whatever, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Are you honestly saying most of the posts on here are constructive analysis? If random bits of hate is your opinion, go for it. What's the harm?

• Advertisement
Advertisement