Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Hodgson

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

rossie1977 wrote: »
    you do realise its roy hodgson that has taken the job, he is basically a carbon copy of rafa just without the trophies at the top level

How did you come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Xavi6 wrote: »
    As someone with little love for Liverpool this is yet more great news.

Hodgson is a solid if unspectacular manager and has been brought in to do nothing more than stabilise the team under severe constraints. Liverpool have always been a side to fear but I think those days are gone for the forseeable future, and clubs like City, Villa and Spurs must be delighted.

The fact that it cost about £8 million or so to get rid of Benitez and appointing Hodgson only takes away from what little available funds there would be.

Unfortunately for Liverpool fans, they're going backwards and it could get much worse if there is an exodus on the horizon.

Great news for the rest of us though.

In fairness to Xavi (I have regularly dismissed him as being nothing but a cock), he has said nothing wrong here. It is actually a pretty good post in my opinion and pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole affair.

Degag wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion?

He is to be fairness. They aren't identical by any means but the majority of criticisms that were levelled at Rafa, are going to be levelled at Roy. It's inevitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

He is to be fairness. They aren't identical by any means but the majority of criticisms that were levelled at Rafa, are going to be levelled at Roy. It's inevitable.

The poster stated that Hodgson is the same kind of manager as Rafa - "A carbon copy" - i don't see how.

Degag wrote: »
    The poster stated that Hodgson is the same kind of manager as Rafa - "A carbon copy" - i don't see how.

Carbon copy is overstating it slightly but they are very a like. Just consider the criticisms of Rafa that have been doing the rounds for the past few years and then compare to to what Roy sets his team out like, e.g. zonal marking, transfer record and the type of players he likes, style of football, the team over the individual, what he expects from all players in terms of work rate and one or two others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Carbon copy is overstating it slightly but they are very a like. Just consider the criticisms of Rafa that have been doing the rounds for the past few years and then compare to that to Roy, e.g. zonal marking, transfer record and the type of players he likes, style of football, the team over the individual, what he expects from all players in terms of work rate and one or two others.

also the fact he sets his team up not to lose (his best season at inter he had 16 wins and 15 draws), he also drills the players like rafa did, nothing is left up to them - there is little creative freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

im delighted
    best of luck roy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Well LFC is gone from a manager-less club, to having possibly the best manager available in the UK and by all counts a very respected one. Anyone who thinks Man city will be delighted with the signing of roy is forgetting with a weaker team last year they were stung to a draw with fulham at home and only managed a win away, with fulham still being able to get one passed them, so do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

This appointment shows that Liverpool have finally accepted their recent position in football's hierarcy.
    It's a very uninspired selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Well LFC is gone from a manager-less club, to having possibly the best manager available in the UK and by all counts a very respected one. Anyone who thinks Man city will be delighted with the signing of roy is forgetting with a weaker team last year they were stung to a draw with fulham at home and only managed a win away, with fulham still being able to get one passed them, so do the maths.

You do know the rules of this sport don't you?

• Advertisement

Lets not get pedantic shall we. I'm highlighting the fact the difference between Man city and Fulham were not that big, fair enough they were beaten but the margin is not as big as some people make out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

What bile is there in this thread? I was honest and said I don't like Liverpool while also explaining the reasons why the whole thing is good news for other clubs.

There were no outlandish accusations or unsubstantiated comments (in fact, according to Lloyd, I was merely reiterating what you guys have already spoken about) so imo you're being uber sensitive here.

I promise though I'll be really objective towards you lot this season if given the room to be so ;)

This is what I don't get - I did contribute.

It was you and Lloyd that attacked me. But whatever, really.

You can really tell hes changed since being a mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

He'll steady the ship this season and thats about it IMO.

It will probably take 2-3 years to get the club back to being a major player in the top four.

Who stays and who goes will also have a major bearing on the season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Lets not get pedantic shall we. I'm highlighting the fact the difference between Man city and Fulham were not that big, fair enough they were beaten but the margin is not as big as some people make out.

The margin was 21 points. That's pretty big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

veXual wrote: »
    He'll steady the ship this season and thats about it IMO.

It will probably take 2-3 years to get the club back to being a major player in the top four.

Who stays and who goes will also have a major bearing on the season ahead.

Top four is gone my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Osu wrote: »

:P thats what you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Just like Benitez he likes to define individual roles in minute detail, and provide specific instructions for specific situations. He is cautious by default, and doesn't leave players with free roles or licenses to express themselves. All of that is fine, it is a methodology that has been successful in football during the past, and will be again in the future. But it is straight from the Benitez school of management and tactical planning.
    That the preferred base formation is different does not really matter all that much - they are cut from the same cloth in terms of their overall approach to the game. The difference? Benitez has won an awful lot more in a much shorter space of time as a manager.

People who didn't like watching Liverpool under Benitez or Houllier aren't going to see a whole lot of difference under Hodgson. Anyone claiming any different is either ignorant of reality or being deliberately dishonest.
    This is absolute tosh, well written tosh but still tosh.

Hodgson's teams play in a much tighter formation, they move up and down the field as one. Players are closer to each other in his system than in most other sides.

All managers define each and every role in a team, maybe some like Wenger give players more freedom but they still tell them exactly what their job is.

Hodgson's system is less defensive than you think but I'd guess you only seen them against Liverpool and in the Europa League where they are playing higher quality teams. Clearly away from home in the Europa league they were going to be a lot more defensive but when they play teams around them in the league they are not nearly as defensively orientated.

You will get to see that this season if Liverpool don't lose a bunch of players. Liverpool have a much more impressive squad than Fulham and I'm sure Roy will believe that he can take on anybody with this squad.

Do you have a winger though? I'm not sure if you do, Hodgson will use one winger and use the other spot for a guy that tucks in.

It will be interesting to see what team he puts out in his first couple of games. I can't see room for both Lucas and Mascherano in his side. I'd guess he will use Maxi as the player that tucks in and Gerrard in front of Maxi and Masch/Lucas. I don't see Kuyt playing out wide. Riera is still there, maybe he will show his best form under Hodgson. Torres and Kuyt up front then.

The margin was 21 points. That's pretty big.

Not really when you consider the net spend of the clubs and city's failure to qualify for the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Osu wrote: »

That's what I meant.

2-3 years before they have any significant part to play in the top four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If most of the squad remain (Torres in particular), there is no reason we shouldn't be pushing for the top 4 next season. I mean, Villa (and likely Everton) will be pushing for it, are we saying we're now a level below that and can't even compete with them? Cause thats bollocks imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,840 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bad choice for manager imo

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

SickBoy wrote: »
    Normally managers tend to target one or two from their former club when they change jobs. I wonder will Hodgson do that? Maybe Danny Murphy could be on his way back to Liverpool.

Just seen on a report that as part of the severance package he is not allowed to sign any of his former players from Fulham
    "And Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton assured Hodgson he would not have to offload players to service the club's huge debts of about £350m.
    "Players are not for sale," Broughton told the news conference. "We don't need the money and we don't have to sell them because of the debt."
    Hodgson, who is not allowed to sign Fulham players as part of his severance deal with the London club, added: "I don't think there's anybody here at the club who would welcome losing them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If most of the squad remain (Torres in particular), there is no reason we shouldn't be pushing for the top 4 next season. I mean, Villa (and likely Everton) will be pushing for it, are we saying we're now a level below that and can't even compete with them? Cause thats bollocks imo.

I'd be more worried about Spurs and City keeping you out of the top 4 than Villa or Everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It'll be interesting to see how Hodgson gets on at Liverpool. I've never really seen him manage at any club apart from Fulham (but I'm aware of his past positions, including Inter) and I'll be looking forward to seeing how Liverpool fares under his steady hand.

I don't think Liverpool should be too disappointed if he fails in his first season to re-break the Top 4. Man City and Spurs will both be standing firmly in the way, and they will be able to out-spend Liverpool this summer, and again in January. But if Roy keeps his head, keeps the ship afloat, I reckon he'll do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Boo. I wish Liverpool hadn't gone for a likeable manager such as Hodgson. Someone like Domenech would have been ideal. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i eagerly looking forward to people who've formerly been fans of Roy as a man and manager all of a sudden realising that he's actually a horrible person who has no idea what he's doing, nothing to do with the club he now manages obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i eagerly looking forward to people who've formerly been fans of Roy as a man and manager all of a sudden realising that he's actually a horrible person who has no idea what he's doing, nothing to do with the club he now manages obviously.

it'll probably happen but you need to remember its a results business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I hear to celebrate his appointment he ate 3 babies and ran down a pregnant scouse. Liverpool has corrupted him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Theres no need to get excited ..........He's not gonna be able to '' make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ''

Top 4 is not been realistic

Theres no need to get excited ..........He's not gonna be able to '' make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ''

nor was a europa league final for fulham, sure we'll see anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

City are averge with a very average manager. Spurs are just as average plus they'll get caught up in the Champions league and probably finish outside the top 6. All liverpool have to do is turn up to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

City are averge with a very average manager. Spurs are just as average plus they'll get caught up in the Champions league and probably finish outside the top 6. All liverpool have to do is turn up to be honest.

Its taken me 15 minutes to pick myself up off the floor laughing at that :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

wat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hodgson will only be a transitional manager, and not a bad choice for a transitional at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eagle eye wrote: »
    This is absolute tosh, well written tosh but still tosh.

Hodgson's teams play in a much tighter formation, they move up and down the field as one. Players are closer to each other in his system than in most other sides.

All managers define each and every role in a team, maybe some like Wenger give players more freedom but they still tell them exactly what their job is.

Hodgson's system is less defensive than you think but I'd guess you only seen them against Liverpool and in the Europa League where they are playing higher quality teams. Clearly away from home in the Europa league they were going to be a lot more defensive but when they play teams around them in the league they are not nearly as defensively orientated.

You will get to see that this season if Liverpool don't lose a bunch of players. Liverpool have a much more impressive squad than Fulham and I'm sure Roy will believe that he can take on anybody with this squad.

Do you have a winger though? I'm not sure if you do, Hodgson will use one winger and use the other spot for a guy that tucks in.

It will be interesting to see what team he puts out in his first couple of games. I can't see room for both Lucas and Mascherano in his side. I'd guess he will use Maxi as the player that tucks in and Gerrard in front of Maxi and Masch/Lucas. I don't see Kuyt playing out wide. Riera is still there, maybe he will show his best form under Hodgson. Torres and Kuyt up front then.

Protip: If you're going to start a post with that type of sentence you need to do a better job at arguing for the contention in detail. It appears my post is "tosh" because his players 'stay closer together' and 'move up and down the field as one'. Okay, gotcha. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I don't see the doom and gloom here, yous had a awful season last year but that was a one off, yous have been finishing rather well in previous seasons, only losing out on the title two years ago for example.

If you lose Torres and Mascherano then the doom and gloom can start, until then I would be optimistic of a top 4 finish. Liverpool haven't turned into complete trash over the course of one awful year.

Smegball wrote: »
    I don't see the doom and gloom here, yous had a awful season last year but that was a one off, yous have been finishing rather well in previous seasons, only losing out on the title two years ago for example.

If you lose Torres and Mascherano then the doom and gloom can start, until then I would be optimistic of a top 4 finish. Liverpool haven't turned into complete trash over the course of one awful year.
    There's one thing missing from the Liverpool of the last few years though. Roy is a massive massive gamble.

There's one thing missing from the Liverpool of the last few years though. Roy is a massive massive gamble.

and what would that one missing thing be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Protip: If you're going to start a post with that type of sentence you need to do a better job at arguing for the contention in detail. It appears my post is "tosh" because his players 'stay closer together' and 'move up and down the field as one'. Okay, gotcha. :rolleyes:
    Protip, lmao

a world class manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How is he a gamble? I can't think of a better (realistic) manager to steady the ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Pelligrini is for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I think he's a good appointment, and only time will tell if he's a great one. Best of luck Roy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He's a good manager, not a great manager Bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

mike65 wrote: »
    He's a good manager, not a great manager Bill

yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

I think Liverpool are on their way to becoming the new Newcastle United. You know, that club that everyone keeps saying "is a big club" but year after year goes by without the success to validate the claim and the attendences are good but results disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I think Liverpool are on their way to becoming the new Newcastle United. You know, that club that everyone keeps saying "is a big club" but year after year goes by without the success to validate the claim and the attendences are good but results disappointing.

arsenal are the new newcastle

liverpool are the new leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

rossie1977 wrote: »
    arsenal are the new newcastle

liverpool are the new leeds

Whats Newcastle then?:D

Hopefully the new Birmingham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Beekay wrote: »
    Whats Newcastle then?:D

Hopefully the new Birmingham!