Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More problems for Toyota

• 01-07-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭

Link
    Toyota said around 270,000 vehicles sold worldwide, including luxury Lexus sedans, have faulty engines.

The firm did not say whether it would recall the vehicles.

The world's biggest carmaker said the faulty engines could stall while the vehicles were moving.

Of the 270,000 vehicles, around 180,000 were sold overseas and the rest in Japan. They include luxury Lexus sedans and Crown models.

Japan's top business daily Nikkei and the Kyodo News agency have reported that Toyota may recall tens of thousands of Lexus LS460 models. The business paper gave no named sources.

So they'll accelerate out of control but probably turn themselves off at some point, so you'll be ok :D:D

Really makes you wonder about the quality control they actually have rather than what they say they have. After all this is the model company for JIT and all those other accounting terms for brilliance in manfacturing...

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I was talking to an independent dealer in the pub about 2/3 years ago, and he reckoned that every petrol Corolla he sold had had the engine replaced when going in for routine servicing. Customers were given the line that Toyota wanted different engines driven under different conditions to be returned for test and evaluation. Always seemed wrong to me - why replace the whole engine? And why wasn't it common knowledge? Looking at these Toyota stories, I'm beginning to wonder if he was telling the truth after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

whiterebel wrote: »
    I was talking to an independent dealer in the pub about 2/3 years ago, and he reckoned that every petrol Corolla he sold had had the engine replaced when going in for routine servicing. Customers were given the line that Toyota wanted different engines driven under different conditions to be returned for test and evaluation. Always seemed wrong to me - why replace the whole engine? And why wasn't it common knowledge? Looking at these Toyota stories, I'm beginning to wonder if he was telling the truth after all.
    They required the owners permission before replacing the engine. Replacing the engine is not routine servicing therefore they have to inform and get consent from the owner any additional work to be done.
    Swapping the engine takes over a day because they have to check everything out before handing the car back to the owners including driving the car and doing their own version of an NCT as emissions have to be tested before release into the wild. If any accident due to the faulty maintenance during replacement or from faulty parts, then Toyota Ireland are liable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Link

So they'll accelerate out of control but probably turn themselves off at some point, so you'll be ok :D:D

Really makes you wonder about the quality control they actually have rather than what they say they have. After all this is the model company for JIT and all those other accounting terms for brilliance in manfacturing...
    I am not worried as it is "luxury Lexus sedans and Crown models". I don't see many of those on our roads. It is more bad PR but I am confident as they have admitted it and are working on it unlike Dell who fighting in the Courts due to their faulty Computers which is costing Billions of Dollars to their US Customers Business due to downtime, Even the firm defending Dell in the lawsuit was affected.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/technology/29dell.html?scp=2&sq=dell&st=cse

With Toyota they went down the Dell road and got heavy stung for it and now going back to reliability road and fixing the problems they created. It will be a hard road to get back on after been on the Dell road.

After all this is the model company for JIT and all those other accounting terms for brilliance in manfacturing...

Wouldn't give a toss about the accounting firms, world leaders in medical devices are often in and out of the Derby plant, toyota charge a good wack for it too. They are still without equal as a manufacturing plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

RoverJames wrote: »
    Wouldn't give a toss about the accounting firms, world leaders in medical devices are often in and out of the Derby plant, toyota charge a good wack for it too. They are still without equal as a manufacturing plant.

I said nothing about accounting firms, just the terms used.

what all these recent "problems" have proved is they clearly are not up to the standards in QA and QC that they claim and haven't been for a while

• Advertisement

A huge part of a quality plan is how you react to issues, how you rectify issues that have escaped to the field, they are excellent in this regard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A huge part of a quality plan is how you react to issues, how you rectify issues that have escaped to the field, they are excellent in this regard.

Practice makes perfect clearly.

Practice makes perfect clearly.

In fairness lads no matter what process is in place it can only be validated to a level, that level may well be 99.9999% but there is still a chance that non conforming product can get out. Toyota face the music and deal with the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

whiterebel wrote: »

The vehicle registration document would then be inaccurate... ie Engine number. Replacing an engine is a bit of a chore, even with the correct hoist, fluids, gasses etc.. Sounds like a bit of a dodgy story... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Heard about this coming home today in the car. Funny but the news reader used the term " Toyota Lexus " . :p .....anyway it seems there's a quarter of a million gammy Lexus engines out there. Truth be known there's probably plenty more but the Toyota machine has been supreme up to now at keeping a lid on it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10472627.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

First they go when they're not supposed to and now they stall when they should go! :eek:

Article

Toyota says 270,000 vehicles have faulty engines

By KEN THOMAS (AP) – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday about 270,000 cars sold worldwide, including luxury Lexus sedans, have potentially faulty engines, in the latest quality issue to confront the Japanese automaker after a string of massive recalls.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the U.S. government's auto safety agency, said Toyota had not formally notified it about a recall. Japan's top-selling daily Yomiuri said the company will inform the Japanese transport ministry of a recall on Monday but the paper cited no sources.

Toyota spokesman Hideaki Homma in Japan said the company was evaluating measures to deal with the problem of defective engines that can stall while the vehicle is moving. He would not confirm a recall was being considered.

The world's largest automaker has scrambled to repair its reputation following the recall of 8.5 million vehicles around the globe because of problems with sticking accelerator pedals and gas pedals that can get trapped in floor mats.

Toyota was slapped with a record $16.4 million fine in the United States for acting too slowly to recall vehicles with defects. Toyota dealers have repaired millions of vehicles, but the automaker still faces more than 200 lawsuits tied to accidents, the lower resale value of Toyota vehicles and the drop in the company's stock.

U.S. regulators are working with scientists from NASA to investigate what caused some of the vehicles to suddenly accelerate. That review is expected to be completed by late August. NHTSA officials are also reviewing whether Toyota waited nearly a year in 2005 to recall trucks and SUVs in the U.S. with defective steering rods, a case that could lead to additional fines.

In the latest safety concern, about 90,000 vehicles with the engine problems were sold in Japan and the remaining 180,000 vehicles were sold overseas. They include the popular Crown and seven models of luxury Lexus sedans. It was not immediately clear which vehicle models sold in the U.S. were affected.

Toyota said it has received around 200 complaints in Japan over faulty engines. Some drivers told Toyota that the engines made a strange noise. Homma said there have been no reports of accidents linked to the faulty engines.

Toyota spokesman Ed Lewis said the company had not formally notified the U.S. highway safety agency about the issue. He could not confirm any plans for a recall in the United States.

In the aftermath of the recalls, Congress is considering an upgrade to auto safety laws to toughen potential penalties against automakers, give the U.S. government more power to demand a recall and push car companies to meet new safety standards.

Toyota said last week it will recall 17,000 Lexus luxury hybrids after testing showed that fuel can spill during a rear-end crash.

Shares of Toyota rose 5 cents to $68.62 in midday trading Thursday.

Associated Press Writers Shino Yuasa in Tokyo and Dan Strumpf in New York contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

At least they are addressing the issues and a costly lesson will be learnt for the whole thing. I wonder how many other manufacturers would do similar if in the same position. They are probably too busy crying to their Governments for cash bailouts to keep them afloat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭jaffa20

All these problems haven't really affected the sales in Ireland anyway.

http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/stats/?y=2010&to=7&cat=1&view_all=makes

bazz26 wrote: »
    At least they are addressing the issues and a costly lesson will be learnt for the whole thing. I wonder how many other manufacturers would do similar if in the same position. They are probably too busy crying to their Governments for cash bailouts to keep them afloat.

You must be joking. The Japs are famous in the motortrade for their cover ups. Toyota have been replacing stuff on the QT for years. Its common place to leave a Toyota in for a service and come out that evening with a new engine , just that you wont be told. There was a thread on here only last week about that very thing happening.

Examples : Toyota 1.6 VVTi engines burning oil but nothing is said , Nissan Navara 2.5 diesels just blowing up but nothing is said , Isuzu Troopers blowing up and nothing was said for years until the situation got too bad:D

Saab Ed wrote: »
    You must be joking. The Japs are famous in the motortrade for their cover ups. Toyota have been replacing stuff on the QT for years. Its common place to leave a Toyota in for a service and come out that evening with a new engine , just that you wont be told. There was a thread on here only last week about that very thing happening.

Renault wouldn't even replace a window regulator on the QT, shame on Toyota eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    Shares of Toyota rose 5 cents to $68.62 in midday trading Thursday.

...most interesting !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Renault wouldn't even replace a window regulator on the QT, shame on Toyota eh :rolleyes:

True :) .... but its a culture thing , they didn't try to cover it up , they just told everybody to fu$k off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Uh !? toyota is trading at 34.4 USD, this must be an old article.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Uh !? toyota is trading at 34.4 USD, this must be an old article.

No the article is from today!

I was also mystified by the reference in the article that the share price went up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Isn't this like the third thread on this topic today? There's even another on the same page!

Won't exactly effect many people here, not like you see Luxury Lexus's all over the place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Redisle wrote: »
    Isn't this like the third thread on this topic today? There's even another on the same page!

Won't exactly effect many people here, not like you see Luxury Lexus's all over the place!

Lexii?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Redisle wrote: »
    Makes a change from all the BMW threads.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

All three threads merged, it's a tad on the messy side but we'll live.

No the article is from today!

I was also mystified by the reference in the article that the share price went up.

thats usual enough as demand is created for shares as people suddenly want to offload them.

When AIB announced that ForEX rip off its shares picked up a lot in the same day too.

thats usual enough as demand is created for shares as people suddenly want to offload them.

:confused:

People suddenly want to offload shares, which creates demand for them ?

:confused:

People suddenly want to offload shares, which creates demand for them ?

certain people will want to offload them on bad news cos they think they will fall. Other think that it will have little or no impact and so will buy them, the interest in people buying them causes a price rise and then they sell them again when it does driving demand and price increase.

certain people will want to offload them on bad news cos they think they will fall. Other think that it will have little or no impact and so will buy them

Aye it is all about demand and supply and surely there will be speculation going on and the price will fluctuate for a bit. Price up at close of the market after negative news about a company is unusual though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I find it hard enough to believe that you'd drop in your Toyota for a service and have a new engine that evening. They must be hard working mechanics if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

First they go when they're not supposed to and now they stall when they should go! :eek:

Article

Toyota says 270,000 vehicles have faulty engines

By KEN THOMAS (AP) – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday about 270,000 cars sold worldwide, including luxury Lexus sedans, have potentially faulty engines, in the latest quality issue to confront the Japanese automaker after a string of massive recalls.....etc etc etc

the article is very vague as to the nature of the potential fault, is it more US media spin?

I don't believe for a second that Toyota dealers have pallets full of engines stashed away for secret replacements either, sounds like bs to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I think I figured out why the engines are having problems:

0e2cfa6e-a92d-4449-ba23-6d72a4986edb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭horse7

ive a 2006 yaris from new,its 20,oookm on clock,which isnt a lot,but there is a very slight leak from the water pump,so slight it doesnt require topping up.there is just some discolourisation on the pully,anyone ever come across similar.

Advertisement