Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike recommendations

• 01-07-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for a commuter bike that I can take up the park every now and then and get a good workout. So distances 5km/day and 20km/weekend. I am tall, 6'4'' and would like to buget around 600e. Any good suggestions and is it better to buy in a shop or is online an option. Needless to say, I am pretty clueless. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's actually pretty helpful, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Thanks for the link. So I went into the 2 bike shops on Camden Street today. One sells Giant and not Trek and vice versa, so they refuse to compare across the two brands.
    The guy in the 'Giant' shop was trying to sell me on the Giant Rapid (size XL) saying that the bigger Trek (25 inch) might be too big and it is better riding a bike just a tad smaller with the saddle raised than the oversized monster that the Trek might be. I am 6'4'' so I am thinking he was just 'selling' and really I should go big and get the Trek FX7.3 for 600e as opposed to the Giant for about 560e. Any advice? Am I comparing like with like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

seosamh wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. So I went into the 2 bike shops on Camden Street today. One sells Giant and not Trek and vice versa, so they refuse to compare across the two brands.
    The guy in the 'Giant' shop was trying to sell me on the Giant Rapid (size XL) saying that the bigger Trek (25 inch) might be too big and it is better riding a bike just a tad smaller with the saddle raised than the oversized monster that the Trek might be. I am 6'4'' so I am thinking he was just 'selling' and really I should go big and get the Trek FX7.3 for 600e as opposed to the Giant for about 560e. Any advice? Am I comparing like with like?

Trek FX7.3 and the Rapid would be similar in style.
    I know plenty of lads at work who are happy the Trek fx 7.3/7.5.

The rapid is a very good bike, I would try both on for size and see which you like the feel off more.

As regards fit....

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/ss/Frame_size.htm

"A properly-sized road bike frame will give an inch or two clearance between the top tube of the frame and your crotch. Not too much, not too little"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why not a racing bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Thanks for the responses. The sizing guide is very helpful. I think I need to try them both again and see which is best.

I spotted a bricks and mortar shop (online) in Belfast Bike IT which sells the Trek 7.3 for 450 sterling which is about 50e less that in Camden Street.

I need to off-load my old and too small for me mountain bike, a DiamondBack 21 inch. Is Buy and Sell the best way to sell it?

As for a racing bike, I think I need a bike for fitness and commuting but mostly A to B with the odd spin up to Phoenix Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

In the Phoenix park you'll notice theres almost more racing bikes then any other kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

seosamh wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. The sizing guide is very helpful. I think I need to try them both again and see which is best.

I spotted a bricks and mortar shop (online) in Belfast Bike IT which sells the Trek 7.3 for 450 sterling which is about 50e less that in Camden Street.

I need to off-load my old and too small for me mountain bike, a DiamondBack 21 inch. Is Buy and Sell the best way to sell it?

As for a racing bike, I think I need a bike for fitness and commuting but mostly A to B with the odd spin up to Phoenix Park.

Ask Camden St shop to give you 50 off, worth a shot

adverts.ie for bike sales

Advertisement