Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*urgent* Need to get fit quick

• 01-07-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just got the okay on my trip to the states. I know we'll be doing loads when we get there and I don't wanna be lagging behind because of lack of energy. I need to get somewhat fit quickly, the easiest way I see of working this into life as it currently is, is to start cycling to work. The trip will be about 15km's from Blanch to Town through phoenix park.

What I don't have, is a bike. So I'm looking to pick something up second hand for around the 200 mark give or take. I don't know what exactly to look for though, had a quick browse through adverts and done deal, and a few things looked good but I'm not quite sure.

Can anyone recommend something? I would really really appreciate it!

Thanks
    ~Dob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

go to Rothar (www.rothar.ie), i'd say. They'll get you a bike that fits and is second hand but set up by proper bike mechanics in a couple of days. Its a community not-for-profit bike shop so your money's going to a good place too. www.tinyurl.com/rotharmap <--- link to a map. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Just got the okay on my trip to the states. I know we'll be doing loads when we get there and I don't wanna be lagging behind because of lack of energy.

Are you going cycling in America or wha? T'is not clear what your intentions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Are you going cycling in America or wha? T'is not clear what your intentions are.

Good point, if your gonna be cycling then get a bike. If you just want to be in shape then tbh your probably better off sprinting up hills or steps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I won't be doing much cycling in america, maybe a bit. I have wanted to start cycling to work for quite awhile, as I've a rather busy schedule outside of work and apart from that I've always found it difficult to find motivation for excercise outside of commuting.
    I used to commute a much shorter distance by bike, but it was a horrible halfords special which broke after six months, got a new job in town shortly thereafter and have been on the motorbike ever since.
    I'm really looking to just build up a bit of stamina in general, we'll be doing lots of walking, driving, site seeing, a bit of cycling, and it's the overal general fitness I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

maybe walk home from work a couple of days a week, weathers good, it won't hurt too much and will certainly build basic fitness. I wouldn't think it would take more than a couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't have a chicken :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I don't have a chicken :(

Just walk around until you find a house with a chicken coop.
    Chase one of their chucks around until Gardai arrive.
    Leggit for home..

Do that three evenings a week and you'll be ripped in no time.

I usually charge for coaching advice but you can have that for free.

papac wrote: »
    Just walk around until you find a house with a chicken coop.
    Chase one of their chucks around until Gardai arrive.
    Leggit for home..

Do that three evenings a week and you'll be ripped in no time.

I usually charge for coaching advice but you can have that for free.

Went for an imaginary walk today... couldn't find any chicken coups, damn living in an urban area :mad::D

Checked out Rothar on my lunch, they can refit an old bike frame I have for 80-120 does this sound reasonable for a complete overhaul? I'll put up pictures of the frame I have.

Advertisement