Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Boom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Bah!

I liked the old thread, this one smells funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

YES!

Good luck for the new season!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

wahay neww thread.

Surely it would have been more fitting if the soccer mod that is an arsenal fan started it :P

(especially seeing as our last thread was started by an ... uggh.. spurs fan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I'm scared....it's like the old one but not the old one.

article-1290927-0A457240000005DC-399_634x519.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So who's optimistic for the season ahead? Down with that sort of thing!

I like short sleeve one but not a huge fan of it with the long sleeves.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I liked the old thread, this one smells funny.

All jersey's with long sleeves look gack, remind me of kids pajamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

New thread!! At least this one wasnt opened by a Spuds fan (I hope).

• Advertisement

All jersey's with long sleeves look gack, remind me of kids pajamas.

Ah last years home looked ok with long sleeves I thought...

Ah last years home looked ok with long sleeves I thought...

All jersey's with long sleeves look gack. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

C'mon the Gunners :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

L'prof wrote: »
    So who's optimistic for the season ahead? Down with that sort of thing!

I think our main competitors are either already very strong - Chelsea & Man U or getting stronger - Spurs & Man City so a top 4 place might be a bit of a struggle.

Obviously, though if we can
    1 - keep Fab
    2 - keep Van Persie injury free.
    3 - get some decent signings at GK and CB
    4 - ensure that a few of our underperformers have better seasons - Diaby, Nasri, Walcott & Denilson for example
    5 - A couple of youngsters break through to become first team regulars

then we should be there or thereabouts. Here's hoping anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

As of right now, I'm very worried about the lack of transfer activity and the extremely likely Fab departure - hard to see us go anywhere but backwards from 3rd spot at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That red ring around the end of the sleeves should be taken off the short sleeved version. Looks horrible. Apart from that it's nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Wow 2 pages already for the new thread :D

Id be worried if our only signings are Koscileny, Schwarzer and Chamakh and maybe Joe Cole.

I did read somewhere that us and Utd are linked with Eduardo the Portugese keeper but not sure how much is in that

As of right now, I'm very worried about the lack of transfer activity and the extremely likely Fab departure - hard to see us go anywhere but backwards from 3rd spot at the moment

eh... already have 3 players signed this window (well, 2 Chamakh and Ebicilio, Koscielny is nearly ready to go apparently, just has to be confirmed). Not to mention there have been bids for a goalkeeper turned down and many places are suggesting we've made approaches for a number of other CBs on top of Koscielny. Seems to be active enough to me...

I think everyone is giving Spurs and Man City way too much credit.

Spurs will have Champions league football to contend with for the first time this season which could prove a step too far for them. (happened to Everton)

Man City are a badly run club. If things are not firing on all cylinders from day one they could implode. If Mancini is not delivering the goods expect him to be gone before xmas which will hamper their season just like last year.

eh... already have 3 players signed this window (well, 2 Chamakh and Ebicilio, Koscielny is nearly ready to go apparently, just has to be confirmed). Not to mention there have been bids for a goalkeeper turned down and many places are suggesting we've made approaches for a number of other CBs on top of Koscielny. Seems to be active enough to me...

whos Ebicilio? :confused: is he a young signing?

• Advertisement

Well the Martinez, Silva and Galindo deals should have all gone through today.

On top of that we already have Chamakh Attack and looks like Koscielny is a sure thing.

Another CB and a goalkeeper and I'll be very happy.

gibson wrote: »
    whos Ebicilio? :confused: is he a young signing?

16 year old, 6 foot, versatile Dutch midfielder who signed on a free from Feyonord. The next Ruud Gullit? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Woot new thread!

On top of that we already have Chamakh Attack and looks like Koscielny is a sure thing.

Yeah that would be ideal, with us keeping Cesc as well of course.

Forgive my ignorance who are Martinez, Silva and Galindo? Ive heard of Galindo I think or at least heard we were signing him but I havent been up on the young players were signing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Damian Martinez - young Argentianian GK - havnt heard much

Wellington Silva - young Brazilian striker - looks excellent by all accounts

ah right didnt realise it was Wellington Silva, heard of him alright. Anyone heard much about Galindo? Only heard we were singing him but I know nothing about him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if you don't get a GK, i'm sorry, but i will be forced to laugh hysterically.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Perhaps we might get to see Pedro Botelho if his work permit is successful.

I hope some players justify the faith Wenger has in them and lead the team to a trophy or two..

SlickRic wrote: »
    if you don't get a GK, i'm sorry, but i will be forced to laugh hysterically.

If ye sign Gilberto Silva, I'll reciprocate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That red ring around the end of the sleeves should be taken off the short sleeved version. Looks horrible. Apart from that it's nice.

It really is, isn't it. Fooking stupid red hoops on the sleeves will stop me buying that. I like the all white socks and shorts though.

I've thrown Arsenal into the cson predictor and its come out with the following;

Premiership: 4th - Blistering start to the season starts faltering mid October with the challenge yet again being killed off and laid to rest in the Graveyard that is St Andrews.

Champions League: Round of 16 - Hammer the ****e out of whatever Dutch/Belgian/Polish/Chinese teams we get in the group finishing on maximum points only to meet an Inter team who despite limping through the group in 2nd strike us down on away goals.

FA Cup: Winners - Yay. First bit of silverware in ages. A mass of Carling Cup injuries cause AW to have to play a full team for the for the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds leading us into the Q/Fs and onward where we demolish a Cardiff City side who knocked out Chelsea and Liverpool on the way. We're helped by us not drawing the following teams early on; Bolton, Stoke, Blackburn.

Carling Cup: Semi Finals - Steamroll through the rounds destroying Bolton 5-0 away along the way a week before they beat the first team 3-1 in the League match. Sadly we draw Chelsea yet again who employ serial CB raper Didier Drogba to tear our young CB and Campbell a new one banging in 3.

Hmmm, I'd take it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If ye sign Gilberto Silva, I'll reciprocate.

some Arsenal fans still wonder why you let him go to be fair.

as a cheap stopgap, it wouldn't bother me to have him at all.

World Cup winner, mainstay of the Brazilian national team still. if we sign him for pittance for 18 months or so, and a replacement for Masch, we could do a hell of a lot worse.

whereas you can't really do a lot worse than ol' Manuel and Fabianski going by recent history.

World Cup winner, mainstay of the Brazilian national team still. if we sign him for pittance for 18 months or so, and a replacement for Masch, we could do a hell of a lot worse.

whereas you can't really do a lot worse than ol' Manuel and Fabianski going by recent history.

Kinda wish it was Gilberto! Its Wellington Silva though not Berti that were signing

gibson wrote: »
    Kinda wish it was Gilberto! Its Wellington Silva though not Berti that were signing

Liverpool are rumoured to be looking at Gilberto though.

He's lost his mobility a bit, that's the big reason why Wenger was happy to let him go. He looks great in international football where the build up is generally a lot more patient, he can just sit and take up those positions where he can make those vital interceptions.

But faced with the more direct hoof-ball of the premiership, where he'd need to do a bit more running and throw his weight about, he might struggle. Generally speaking he doesn't do much pressing these days, so i find it difficult to see him doing well.

I'd like to wrong though, he's a player I really really like... Perhaps he could possibly sit behind a presser like Mascherano and let Pool attack through the fullbacks a bit more.

I'd hate to see Gilberto at another Premier League club. He'd do a decent job for Pool tohugh depending on what formation they play under Woy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

why haven't they announced the departure of Silvestre yet? I think that's definitely the most important transaction this summer.

on the official site it says about the new home shirt
    Inside the shirt on the back of the club crest is inscribed Arsenal’s motto: “Victoria, Concordia, Crescit”. The shorts and socks are white.

whats the point having it on the inside where no one will see it? :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

inscribed Arsenal’s motto: “Victoria, Concordia, Crescit”. The shorts and socks are white.

The shorts and socks are white, they'd really want to work on the motto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

cson wrote: »
    It really is, isn't it. Fooking stupid red hoops on the sleeves will stop me buying that. I like the all white socks and shorts though.

I've thrown Arsenal into the cson predictor and its come out with the following;

Premiership: 4th - Blistering start to the season starts faltering mid October with the challenge yet again being killed off and laid to rest in the Graveyard that is St Andrews.

Champions League: Round of 16 - Hammer the ****e out of whatever Dutch/Belgian/Polish/Chinese teams we get in the group finishing on maximum points only to meet an Inter team who despite limping through the group in 2nd strike us down on away goals.

FA Cup: Winners - Yay. First bit of silverware in ages. A mass of Carling Cup injuries cause AW to have to play a full team for the for the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds leading us into the Q/Fs and onward where we demolish a Cardiff City side who knocked out Chelsea and Liverpool on the way. We're helped by us not drawing the following teams early on; Bolton, Stoke, Blackburn.

Carling Cup: Semi Finals - Steamroll through the rounds destroying Bolton 5-0 away along the way a week before they beat the first team 3-1 in the League match. Sadly we draw Chelsea yet again who employ serial CB raper Didier Drogba to tear our young CB and Campbell a new one banging in 3.

Hmmm, I'd take it. :D

What kind of Prediction generator is that?

Its sad enough to say but I'd take that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

• Advertisement

You'd be happy with Gilberto as a replacement for Mascherano??? He'd be nowhere near as effective. If he was signed as cover for Mascherano then fair enough, but ye'll suffer if he gets a lot of first team football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Campbell is off to Celtic apparently. :(
    Eduardo possibly off to Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Galvasean wrote: »
    Campbell is off to Celtic apparently. :(

Means we'll definitely be signing another centre half so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Perhaps we might get to see Pedro Botelho if his work permit is successful.
    Seems to have a serious 'tude though - he's had rows at both his loan clubs if I recall correctly.

Campbell isn't a definite anything yet. He's sitting on offers from Celtic and Arsenal it seems. Celtic are promising first team football, but he still seems to favour staying at Arsenal, probably more for the lifestyle in London than football reasons I'm guessing. I'd say he's waiting to see who's brought in on the defensive front and what his chances of first team football are.

Inside the shirt on the back of the club crest is inscribed Arsenal’s motto: “Victoria, Concordia, Crescit”

It's on the inside of the current one too, inside the collar on the back.
    Galvasean wrote: »

Awful move for him imo

Awful move for him imo

What happened the Valencia rumours? I reckon he could be a great replacement for Villa if he can regain his form.

It's on the inside of the current one too, inside the collar on the back.

Awful move for him imo

Villa aren't awful and while it would be a step down from Arsenal, hd simply hasn't impressed since returning from injury.

Villa aren't awful and while it would be a step down from Arsenal, hd simply hasn't impressed since returning from injury.

I'm not saying Villa are awful, I just think if he wants to get back to playing at his best the English League isn't for him. La Liga or the Bundesliga would suit him much better.

Wow this is a surprise:
    Arsenal have made the bold decision to pull out of the FA Premier Reserve League. The surprise move comes despite leaked details of a much needed revamp, which is set to come into play for the new season.

http://younggunsblog.co.uk/2010/07/arsenal-disband-reserves-reshape-youth-development/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement