Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I would cheer the spuds over them now :mad:

Definately.

Lads,

Seriously...

Take a few deep breaths,

in....

out...

in...

out...

Etc.

Remember the POLITICS of this. Sure they won it as part of the Spanish team, but remember, they (in their minds) are not Spanish. They are Catalan.
    Imagine if you will, Ireland was part of the UK. The UK team had just won the world cup. Robbie Keane setting up the winner. Robbie plays for Man Utd (in this fictitious world) and Shamrock Rovers (again, a fictitious world) were champions of Europe. (LOL)
    The day after the world cup, Robbie puts on a Shamrock Rovers Jersey (to appease his Irish following as he himself thinks himself Irish, not a UK citizen) purely because Ireland has no jersey and everyone sees Shamrock Rovers as the "Irish National" club team.

It really is nothing to get worked up about. He'll be here next season.

So RELAX! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Galvasean wrote: »
    Their pursuit of Christiano Ronaldo wasn't much better TBF.

It wasn't great but their players never spoke out about the transfer, Ronaldo was never thrown in a Madrid jersey and most importantly they met the value of the asking price.

At least they paid the 80M up front. Barca bid something ridiculous like 29m.

They don't look like making a proper offer at all.

Reina was speaking on the microphone and say "Cesc Fabregas the future of Spain and Barcelona".

Who is that bald **** to go around lauding it insulting other clubs, he didn't even play at the WC.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Lads,

Seriously...

Take a few deep breaths,

in....

out...

in...

out...

Etc.

Remember the POLITICS of this. Sure they won it as part of the Spanish team, but remember, they (in their minds) are not Spanish. They are Catalan.
    Imagine if you will, Ireland was part of the UK. The UK team had just won the world cup. Robbie Keane setting up the winner. Robbie plays for Man Utd (in this fictitious world) and Shamrock Rovers (again, a fictitious world) were champions of Europe. (LOL)
    The day after the world cup, Robbie puts on a Shamrock Rovers Jersey (to appease his Irish following as he himself thinks himself Irish, not a UK citizen) purely because Ireland has no jersey and everyone sees Shamrock Rovers as the "Irish National" club team.

It really is nothing to get worked up about. He'll be here next season.

So RELAX! :D

I don't care about International football, its not just tonight, this is just the final straw imo.

DB10 wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

It wasn't great but their players never spoke out about the transfer, Ronaldo was never thrown in a Madrid jersey and most importantly they met the value of the asking price.

They don't look like making a proper offer at all.

There was a long and sustained campaign by Madrid officials, Marca and one or two players.

They were just as bad as Barca are now.

#15 wrote: »
    There was a long and sustained campaign by Madrid officials, Marca and one or two players.

They were just as bad as Barca are now.

At least they made a fair offer

this is just the final straw

Nail on head. Enough is enough. Surely there must be more than enough evidence to launch a tapping up enquiry against Barcelona?

• Advertisement

At least they made a fair offer

After a year. Arsenal will get their fair offer next year. 29m is just the start - unfortunately for you guys, this is likely gonna be a year long circus.

Nah, I think my original point with it being a regional thing still stands. I do agree Barcelona have been awful in this whole business and it deserves an equiry, but I wouldn't read too much into Fab wearing the jersey.

I didn't see the footage, were there any non-catalan players wearing the Barca shirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

are you fcuking for real ?

Now I just think that your taking the piss.

Reina is a former Barca player by the way.

Serious lads - Cesc is no angel.

I dont condone the actions of the Barca players but you have to realise you are dealing with a different footballing culture which to be honest the majority of you'se know fcuk all about. This sort of thing is normal in Spain as is players waving imaginary cards at referee's, as is every week there is a back and forth bitching match between Barca and Real Madrid players openly saying saying they hope the other does not win. It has been part of the Spanish game since long before my time and to the people there it all part and parcel of the game. Now you'se dont like it nor appreciate it but to be honest the Spanish couldnt give a toss what you like just as you'se dont care to much for them and their ways. Spaniards dont appreciate foreign teams cradle snatching their young talent but there aint much they can do about with the way the laws are in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Obviously what ever I say people will think is biast due to my signature! ;)

However did it not look like he didnt want it on him or at least didnt know what it was considering his arms werent even through the sleeves its not like he was handed the shirt and put it over his head!

I have to say though from what Ive read from some Arsenal fans on various websites its appalling some of the comments made about our captain. Nobody knows if hes even going anywhere and some are slagging him off. Did people speak the same when Real flirted constantly with Vieira?

People saying they cant care I cant understand. How can you not care about losing our best player and captain? A player who at times has dragged Arsenal threw matches when others werent playing so well

After a year. Arsenal will get their fair offer next year. 29m is just the start - unfortunately for you guys, this is likely gonna be a year long circus.

Sod that :mad:, hope we sell him to someone else

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Funny to think I once liked Barca. Despise them now (though not especially because of this, it is just the latest in a long line of displays of egomania and disrespect). Real and Barca, what a pair.

gibson wrote: »
    Obviously what ever I say people will think is biast due to my signature! ;)

However did it not look like he didnt want it on him or at least didnt know what it was considering his arms werent even through the sleeves its not like he was handed the shirt and put it over his head!

I have to say though from what Ive read from some Arsenal fans on various websites its appalling some of the comments made about our captain. Nobody knows if hes even going anywhere and some are slagging him off. Did people speak the same when Real flirted constantly with Vieira?

People saying they cant care I cant understand. How can you not care about losing our best player and captain? A player who at times has dragged Arsenal threw matches when others werent playing so well

I would never abuse any of our players ex players including Ashley Cole and Cesc, but the way things have been conducted in the last few weeks has been a disgrace, I do feel Cesc could have come out sooner in response to quotes from various players.

Did he not state in April that he had no intention of moving, tonight is just the final straw for me

I would never abuse any of our players ex players including Ashley Cole and Cesc, but the way things have been conducted in the last few weeks has been a disgrace, I do feel Cesc could have come out sooner in response to quotes from various players.

Did he not state in April that he had no intention of moving, tonight is just the final straw for me

Seriously man, he is drunk as are his teammates.

Dont judge, trial and jury the poor lad.

redout wrote: »
    Serious lads - Cesc is no angel.

I dont condone the actions of the Barca players but you have to realise you are dealing with a different footballing culture which to be honest the majority of you'se know fcuk all about. This sort of thing is normal in Spain as is players waving imaginary cards at referee's, as is every week there is a back and forth bitching match between Barca and Real Madrid players openly saying saying they hope the other does not win. It has been part of the Spanish game since long before my time and to the people there it all part and parcel of the game. Now you'se dont like it nor appreciate it but to be honest the Spanish couldnt give a toss what you like just as you'se dont care to much for them and their ways. Spaniards dont appreciate foreign teams cradle snatching their young talent but there aint much they can do about with the way the laws are in Spain.

Is there a need to talk down to people?

Whether it's part of their culture or not, waving imaginary cards is a stain on the game.
    Just because it's normal doesn't mean it's ok, it means that part of their footballing culture is despicable.

Well in fairness hes never publicly said he wants to leave either. There was apparently this "face to face talk" but nobody confirmed that apart from gossip in the newspapers. Yes cesc couldve come out and said im staying dont worry but id like to give him the benefit of the doubt for the minute and see what happens

• Advertisement

Seriously man, he is drunk as are his teammates.

Dont judge, trial and jury the poor lad.

Its not just tonights incident

Well in fairness hes never publicly said he wants to leave either. There was apparently this "face to face talk" but nobody confirmed that apart from gossip in the newspapers. Yes cesc couldve come out and said im staying dont worry but id like to give him the benefit of the doubt for the minute and see what happens

To be honest I'm more annoyed with Barcelona although he is not just another Arsenal player, he is club captain.

Is there a need to talk down to people?

Whether it's part of their culture or not, waving imaginary cards is a stain on the game.
    Just because it's normal doesn't mean it's ok, it means that part of their footballing culture is despicable.

I wasnt talking down to anyone, merely stating a fact. Cradle snatching young talent is despicable also but I dont see you mentioning it. Obviously acceptable in the premiership though.

Kicking the better players off the park is also part of footballing culture (I'm sure Barce fans have seen it happen to Messi). As to is diving / feigning injury to get other players in trouble. As are many other things which the game would be better off without.

Its not just tonights incident

But you said tonight was the final straw so you are obviously letting it have an impact on your judgement when in reality you shouldnt take it serious. They are young, just won the world cup, drunk, having fun - dont judge them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I wasnt talking down to anyone, merely stating a fact. Cradle snatching young talent is despicable also but I dont see you mentioning it. Obviously acceptable in the premiership though.

Messi was born in the shadow of the Nou Camp was he?

I think cradle snatching is going a bit far. It was Cesc decision to move yes he was young but obviously if he loves Barca so much he thought long and hard about moving. And how far does this cradle snatching go? Messi moved from Newell's Old Boys to Barca at 13 is that cradle snatching as well?

It came across that way, fair enough if it was accidental.

Cradle snatching is despicable alright, I didn't know we had to list everything that's wrong with the sport when we criticise one aspect of it.

I'll look forward to your simultaneous condemnation of imaginary card waving the next time you criticise English football.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

playa3 wrote: »

They paid the €0.99 for his growth hormone treatment, so it's all cool!

TBF, didn't Barca pay for all the medical stuff when he was a kid that Newells Old Boys couldn't/didn't want to spend the money on?

I could be wrong...

• Advertisement

But you said tonight was the final straw so you are obviously letting it have an impact on your judgement when in reality you shouldnt take it serious. They are young, just won the world cup, drunk, having fun - dont judge them.

Yes the final straw, this incident alone has not suddenly changed my opinion of barcelona, its everything over the last month or so.

TBF, didn't Barca pay for all the medical stuff when he was a kid that Newells Old Boys couldn't/didn't want to spend the money on?

I could be wrong...

It was a pittance.

Kicking the better players off the park is also part of footballing culture (I'm sure Barce fans have seen it happen to Messi). As to is diving / feigning injury to get other players in trouble. As are many other things which the game would be better off without.

I agree.

Why would you assume otherwise?

It's amazing how criticism of one aspect of the sport leads people to think that you are not equally critical of other aspects.

I could be wrong...

Oh ye they did but is that "cradle snatching" as well? Taking talent from somewhere else around the world?

Its something that happens in football, without it as your point illustrates, players like Messi wouldnt get the chance to develop their skills at a young age at a top club

L'prof wrote: »
    It was a pittance.

But am I right in saying that Messi's old club wouldn't pay for it?

But am I right in saying that Messi's old club wouldn't pay for it?

That I don't know.

I think cradle snatching is going a bit far. It was Cesc decision to move yes he was young but obviously if he loves Barca so much he thought long and hard about moving. And how far does this cradle snatching go? Messi moved from Newell's Old Boys to Barca at 13 is that cradle snatching as well?

I was referring to Cesc in that instance.

Yes, Messi could be put in that category but to be honest his situation was totally different. He was born with a growth deficiency and Barca took him on fully aware of this and payed for his medical treatment throughout his childhood knowing he might not even make it. Not the same in my opinion.

Yes, Messi could be put in that category but to be honest his situation was totally different. He was born with a growth deficiency and Barca took him on fully aware of this and payed for his medical treatment throughout his childhood knowing he might not even make it. Not the same in my opinion.

growth deficiency or not Barca saw the talent and took it, same as Arsenal took Cesc same as hundreds of other footballers around the world.

Your opinion, is not the be all and end all.

Arsenal took a risk on Fabregas and developed him into the world class player he is. If he is Barca through and through as you say, maybe he wouldn't have left?

I care nothing for Barcelona or Spanish football in general, if I want to watch a boring 2 team league then I just stick on the SPL.

• Advertisement

Do they do that for all children?
    Or just children who happen to be particularly talented at football?

Seriously, Barca did a great thing, but they had their own motives too.
    growth deficiency or not Barca saw the talent and took it, same as Arsenal took Cesc same as hundreds of other footballers around the world.

That particular case is not the same in my opinion but yes Barca no doubt could have done it.

Arsenal took a risk on Fabregas and developed him into the world class player he is. If he is Barca through and through as you say, maybe he wouldn't have left?

I care nothing for Barcelona or Spanish football in general, if I want to watch a boring 2 team league then I just stick on the SPL.

La Liga is not a boring 2 team league.

The quality is often higher than the premier league.

I agree.

Why would you assume otherwise?

It's amazing how criticism of one aspect of the sport leads people to think that you are not equally critical of other aspects.

I was agreeing with your statement and elaborating on your point. I should have made that clearer.

That's not gonna cut it. Every team that signs on a promising youngster is taking a gamle and knows the palyer might not make it for any number of reasons. This "oh but we paid Messi's mediacl bills" excuse does not make them any different from any other team that signs a promising youngster from another club.

Wooh.......please point out were I said that.

Ok, thats your choice.

That's not gonna cut it. Every team that signs on a promising youngster is taking a gamle and knows the palyer might not make it for any number of reasons. This "oh but we paid Messi's mediacl bills" excuse does not make them any different from any other team that signs a promising youngster from another club.

I wouldnt agree with your take on that.

All players present clubs with risks but Messi's was not your average run of the mill risk.

Had his treatment proved unsuccessful he would never have most likely played professional as he would have been only 4ft something as far as I know.

Not been able to play at all versus youngsters who can is not the same whatever way you look at it in my opinion.

La Liga is not a boring 2 team league.

The quality is often higher than the premier league.

Yes it is, only two teams can win La Liga because of the financial power available, the fact they have the pick of youngsters in Spain without the 90 minute rule and the fact they can just buy any good player from the smaller clubs like Villa and the rest.

• Advertisement

All players present clubs with risks but Messi's was not your average run of the mill risk.

Yes, the risk associated with Messi was somewhat higher than that of most other young players, I'll agree with you on that much. However, in this case the apparent potential outweighed the risk in Barcelona's eyes so the went ahead with it. No team would take a risk on any young player unless they felt there was afairly good chance of their risk paying dividends.

Yes it is, only two teams can win La Liga because of the financial power available, the fact they have the pick of youngsters in Spain without the 90 minute rule and the fact they can just buy any good player from the smaller clubs like Villa and the rest.

Do you mean the 90 mile rule? :confused:
    That said, a 90 minute rule could make things very manic...

Messi was only one example anyway theres more than that Gai Assulin (released now i think), Dos Santos? not sure about that one, Jonathan Dos Santos his brother was picked from Mexico at a young age though.

Theres loads of examples if you want to even out the Messi one to the side

Yes, the risk associated with Messi was somewhat higher than that of most other young players, I'll agree with you on that much. However, in this case the apparent potential outweighed the risk in Barcelona's eyes so the went ahead with it. No team would take a risk on any young player unless they felt there was afairly good chance of their risk paying dividends.

I found an article from the Guardian were Messi says that "the only club in the world that offered" to pay for his treatment was Barca.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/20/childhood-barcelona-medicine-lionel-messi

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Tonight I shall be praying that Barcelona Football Club get struck down with insurmountable debt, such a group of ignorant clowns. Drunk, sober or off their heads on drugs, they've shown they have a complete lack of respect for any club bar their own and I'll never show them an ounce of respect.

I'm stunned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement