Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

DB10 wrote: »
    Yes it is, only two teams can win La Liga because of the financial power available, the fact they have the pick of youngsters in Spain without the 90 minute rule and the fact they can just buy any good player from the smaller clubs like Villa and the rest.

Villa is 28, they didn't 'just' buy him, he has been around for years.

Only two teams can win the premiership as well. Six years ago since anyone outside the big two (;)) in England won it. Exactly the same as in Spain.

Since 1992-93, there have been 5 different winners of La Liga. There have been 4 different winners of the EPL.

Not having a 90 m rule is a good thing btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

redout wrote: »
    I found an article from the Guardian were Messi says that "the only club in the world that offered" to pay for his treatment was Barca.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/20/childhood-barcelona-medicine-lionel-messi

Paid off for them though didnt it ;):D

x PyRo wrote: »
    Tonight I shall be praying that Barcelona Football Club get struck down with insurmountable debt, such a group of ignorant clowns. Drunk, sober or off their heads on drugs, they've shown they have a complete lack of respect for any club bar their own and I'll never show them an ounce of respect.

I'm stunned.

They're already borrowing to pay wages. A bit like a bigger version of portsmouth.:D:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I found an article from the Guardian were Messi says that "the only club in the world that offered" to pay for his treatment was Barca.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/20/childhood-barcelona-medicine-lionel-messi

So? They werent doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They were doing it because they felt it would secure them a rising talent in world football. I'm sure if they knew the player Messi would become EVERY club would have offered to pay for his treatment.

Or, they were the first ones who offered.

Had another club noticed him first, they may well have offered the same thing.

But Barca's cradle-snatching service was more efficient than the other clubs, so they spotted him first, when he was just 13:eek::eek::eek:

#15 wrote: »

But Barca's cradle-snatching service was more efficient than the other clubs, so they spotted him first, when he was just 13:eek::eek::eek:

have you seen some of the clips on youtube of messi as a kid playing football :D hes unbelievable! The ball is nearly bigger than him hes running rings around people!!! Great dribbling at such a young age ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Did you even read the article ?

He quite clearly said "the only club in the world that offered"

Apparently River plate were interested but didnt offer to pay the money for his treatment.

Anyway after all this debate I still think Cesc will be leading us out at Anfield :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

gibson wrote: »
    Anyway after all this debate I still think Cesc will be leading us out at Anfield :D

He'll be lead out in shackles by Wenger cracking a whip at him and shouting "5 YEAR CONTRACT!!!" over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

There's nothing uglier than the colour of Barcelona's home shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

gibson wrote: »

Reina is going to get some stick in that match imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

cesc in barca link shocker

article-1294228-0A6B9B56000005DC-952_634x394.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah, yous are all getting way off the point.

Barca are no angels, but neither are any club, Arsenal included. Just roll with the punches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

fabregas has no future at arsenal now after this
    he has gone way past the point of no return
    thats real disrespect to the arsenal and wenger in particular
    a football lowlife imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

conno16 wrote: »
    a football lowlife imo

Come off it, he'll be our captain next year and you'll be loving it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Fabregas might be a traitor but pepe reina must take the blame on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

There was a long and sustained campaign by Madrid officials, Marca and one or two players.

They were just as bad as Barca are now.

BTW we were getting this crap waaaaay before united and Ronaldo. I vaguely remember the dutch players calling overmars to join the dutch revolution at barca. Henry and Vieira were galactico's every summer and january. They fooled jose reyes on radio into saying he wanted to leave and join madrid. The villareal chumps league semi final with a fan running onto the pitch giving Henry an Henry 14 barca jersey. I know it was a fan but i would'nt put it past barca.

I'm still convinced they're after fabs because he's a commercial success than any of the others besides messi, thats more interesting to them than his talent.

The last month as been a low for barca, i thought madrid could not be surpassed but they have and barca sunk to a new all time low last night. Frankly i think its good, it shows they're still trying to convince him and its not all done and dusted as they've made it out to be.

Used be a huge barca fan from the stoichov\laudrup days up until recently. I've lost all respect for them, themselves and madrid are classless and arrogant.

• Advertisement

BTW we were getting this crap waaaaay before united and Ronaldo. I vaguely remember the dutch players calling overmars to join the dutch revolution at barca. Henry and Vieira were galactico's every summer and january. They fooled jose reyes on radio into saying he wanted to leave and join madrid. The villareal chumps league semi final with a fan running onto the pitch giving Henry an Henry 14 barca jersey. I know it was a fan but i would'nt put it past barca.

I'm still convinced they're after fabs because he's a commercial success than any of the others besides messi, thats more interesting to them than his talent.

The last month as been a low for barca, i thought madrid could not be surpassed but they have and barca sunk to a new all time low last night. Frankly i think its good, it shows they're still trying to convince him and its not all done and dusted as they've made it out to be.

Used be a huge barca fan from the stoichov\laudrup days up until recently. I've lost all respect for them, themselves and madrid are classless and arrogant.

I assume you're lumping Reina and Liverpool in with that also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Nah reina's intro was more tongue in cheek i'd say, seems a bit of a joker, altho i'll reconsider if Reina ends up in barca.

Nah reina's intro was more tongue in cheek i'd say, seems a bit of a joker, altho i'll reconsider if Reina ends up in barca.

So Reina says Cesc is the future of Barcelona last night and it's Barca and not him that sunk to a new low? He was just joking.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

A new low for Barca.

how could barca have controlled / managed this though?

Paleface wrote: »
    A new low for Barca.

And Reina?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

a football lowlife imo

Are you kidding me? You can clearly see that shirt was forced on him and he didn't even realise what it was until he looked down. When he did realise he was absolutely mortified.

Ush1 wrote: »
    And Reina?

Not even close. That lad reached unspeakable lows a few years ago. This is nothing for him.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

how could barca have controlled / managed this though?

by their president etc not coming out and saying cesc is a barca player etc.

that way the players wouldnt think it is ok.the only 1 who has kept it respectable through this whole shambles is guardiola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Wreck wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? You can clearly see that shirt was forced on him and he didn't even realise what it was until he looked down. When he did realise he was absolutely mortified.

Yep it looks like that shirt came off rapidly once he realised what it was. Its sure going to make the first game of the season interesting when he faces Reina ;)

I think in this whole debate before people saw the clip they had their mind made up whether or not they'd support Cesc. As others and myself have said you clearly see he was forced into it, his arms arent even out the shirt, he didnt appear to want it on him and looked very uncomfortable.

However some people react calling him a traitor :rolleyes:

People are obviously seeing what they want to see. If they dont care whether Cesc goes or not they see this as an ultimate be trail and something Cesc could actually control

• Advertisement

Yep gibson some people are very "fair weather".

The only way that I see Cesc going now is if Barca offer stupid money for him (which given their financial position seems unlikely!).

If that happens I wish the lad well, people on here seem to forget that he played with a broken leg for us in a game against Barca last season!

If Cesc goes he'll elave with my blessing. Playing for your hometown team is something that every player should aspire to do. He is getting the opportunity to do it and increase his chances of winning major honours. Fair play to him I reckon.

From an Arsenal fan POV its a bit worrying that we will lose yet another captain. It also strenghtens the argument that we no longer have the finances or capabilities to hold on to the stars we create. If Fab leaves, who'll be out the door after him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

cson wrote: »
    I'd love to see Reina at Arsenal.

Not any more. :mad:

Locked or not, that was incredibly unprofessional shite acting and they should get some wrap across the knuckles for it.

cson wrote: »
    Locked or not, that was incredibly unprofessional shite acting and they should get some wrap across the knuckles for it.

I'd much prefer to see 5 goals go past him on the 15th of August :D

RVP and bentner to score five goals?

you must be joking

a football lowlife imo

Well it's good to see you showing him the same loyalty you demand of him.
    Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Fabregas might be a traitor but pepe reina must take the blame on this one!

How is he a traitor? It's a bit much to expect loyalty from him after poaching him away as a teen from his childhood heroes. This was always going to happen. Lucky that Merida didn't make it or it'd become a recurring theme. Barca is in their blood.

Don't kid yourself, Cesc did not grow up dreaming of wearing Arsenal red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

you must be joking

Arshavin will score at least one at Anfield!

you must be joking

Of course not. Vermaelen will get one. The new guy will get one (debutants scored frequently for us last season). One own goal. Van Persie will get one. Then Fabregas will score a penalty and tear off his shirt revealing a slogan, "Please don't kill me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

It's a bit much to expect loyalty from him after poaching him away as a teen from his childhood heroes. This was always going to happen. Lucky that Merida didn't make it or it'd become a recurring theme. Barca is in their blood.

It was his and his families chioce that Cesc moved to Arsenal for the good of his football future, he wasn't but in a bag and smuggled to London in the middle of the night. I hate when people use poached if thats poaching then pretty much every player has been poached at one time or another

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    It was his and his families chioce that Cesc moved to Arsenal for the good of his football future massive wage improvement that Arsenal offered him, same as Piqué, he wasn't but in a bag and smuggled to London in the middle of the night. I hate when people use poached if thats poaching then pretty much every player has been poached at one time or another

FYP.

He wasn't smuggled but Arsenal are not whiter than white in all of this. Laporta in one of the rare occassions when he spoke sense, said this of both Arsenal and Manchester United:
    Laporta wrote:
    "We are a club that has invested €7m [around £4.8m] in our youth team this season," said Laporta during a coaching clinic in the Canary Islands.

"But we have a big problem with English clubs who are targeting our youngsters. Before they used to do it with French clubs and now it seems as though we are next.

"The problem is that English clubs don't have their own youth system [sic] and so they have to find players elsewhere. The British clubs offer astronomical figures to kids who are 14, 15 and 16, a figure that, for ethical reasons, we cannot equal.

"We had this situation with Cesc Fabregas, Gerard Pique and now with Fran Merida."

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    So? They werent doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They were doing it because they felt it would secure them a rising talent in world football. I'm sure if they knew the player Messi would become EVERY club would have offered to pay for his treatment.

But thats the thing - they didnt know what he would be become. It was a risk and a far bigger one compared to a club taking on your usual everyday youngster who doesnt possess health problems especially ones such as that. We can argue this until we are both blue in the face but I am not accepting that it is the same. I would also guess that a lot of clubs would never have even taken him on knowing the potential risks involved. A lot would have just said this lad doesnt have a hope and wouldnt have taken the financial burden on.

you must be joking

Of course not, the goals will come from our midfielders and defenders. I am realistic you know ;)

But thats the thing - they didnt know what he would be become. It was a risk and a far bigger one compared to a club taking on your usual everyday youngster who doesnt possess health problems especially ones such as that. We can argue this until we are both blue in the face but I am not accepting that it is the same. I would also guess that a lot of clubs would never have even taken him on knowing the potential risks involved. A lot would have just said this lad doesnt have a hope and wouldnt have taken the financial burden on.

We're going around in circles now. As I've said already if other clubs knew he was going to be so great they'd have paid his medical bills. Fair play to Barce for being the only team with the forsight to do so. It worked out to be a stroke of genuis, but let's not fool ourselves and pretend they did it because they are somehow nicer than all the other teams who sign on youngsters from other clubs.

Somewhat related is this gem from Laporta (as posted by Neil1984):
    Laporta wrote:
    The British clubs offer astronomical figures to kids who are 14, 15 and 16, a figure that, for ethical reasons, we cannot equal.

Ethical reasons my tail pipe. They pay their first team players astronomical wages and bonuses while paying lip service to their youth prospects, then moan when a young lad moves away because someone gave him a better deal. Arsenal dopay their youngsters more than most clubs do, but that has a knock on effect in that our first team wage bill is lower than rival teams. It's a fine balancing act that every team must do.

Galvasean wrote: »
    We're going around in circles now. As I've said already if other clubs knew he was going to be so great they'd have paid his medical bills. Fair play to Barce for being the only team with the forsight to do so. It worked out to be a stroke of genuis, but let's not fool ourselves and pretend they did it because they are somehow nicer than all the other teams who sign on youngsters from other clubs.

If that is your opinion then fair enough I can accept it but lets not kid ourselves and say its the same as your usual case of a youngster going to a club.

If that is your opinion then fair enough I can accept it but lets not kid ourselves and say its the same as your usual case of a youngster going to a club.

Oh yeah I'll definately accept the risk associated was significantly higher than usual.

But thats the thing - they didnt know what he would be become. It was a risk and a far bigger one compared to a club taking on your usual everyday youngster who doesnt possess health problems especially ones such as that.
    Laporta wrote:
    The British clubs offer astronomical figures to kids who are 14, 15 and 16
    Us taking on Fabregas was a risk. A risk that paid off nicely as he progressed into the player that we hoped he would. In the very same sentence Fran Merida is mentioned, and he can be easily used as an example of where the risk didn't work out. I'd be fairly confident that both players were offered similar contracts when joining Arsenal initially. Every signing is a risk, so claiming that Barca taking on Messi and because he had health problems, it is admiral whereas we are poachers is a bit disingenuous. Every club takes risks. We take them by signing young players, which can or cannot develop into a world beater. Barca used the same risk assessment when deciding to sign Messi and curing his health problems was only the first step in what they had planned for him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,423 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Lads they are all locked in fairness

Drinking since last night ffs!

I wouldnt look to much into it - still expect Cesc to be a Gunner next season to be honest.

Yea, he did dedicate the trophy to Arsenal after that in fairness. Arsenal don't have to sell anyway, they're in good financial condition and he's signed on for another 5 years, plus Barca can't afford him,they had to take a loan out to pay their players last month. Why he'd want to go there and play second fiddle to Xavi and Iniesta is beyond me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

FYP.

He wasn't smuggled but Arsenal are not whiter than white in all of this. Laporta in one of the rare occassions when he spoke sense, said this of both Arsenal and Manchester United:

Thats all I wanted, people to admit he wasn't smuggled it was HIS choice. So all this poaching lark can stop.
    Poaching is the illegal taking of wild plants or animals contrary to local and international conservation and wildlife management laws. Violations of hunting laws and regulations are normally punishable by law and, collectively, such violations are known as poaching.

He is not an animal you know :D

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Thats all I wanted, people to admit he wasn't smuggled it was HIS choice. So all this poaching lark can stop.

Yes but you have to admit on the flipside that Arsenal aren't exactly whiter than white either. People portray them as a champion of morality and purity when in reality a large amount of their youth talent is taken (albeit legally, same as with United, Chelsea, Liverpool etc) from other teams youth academies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

First post here on the new thread. i'm really looking forward to the new season. Have the feeling that Laurent Koscielny is going to be a brilliant signing. Our annual Barnet away game on Saturday to start the season. is anybody going to it, or indeed the Emirates Cup on July 31? Come on the Gunners :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement