Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Wreck wrote: »
    Robbie Fowler was our ultimate nemesis for a good 5+ years, oh how I hated him!

I remember that hat trick he got against us in something ridiculos like 5 minutes, it was the first time I'd ever seen Arsenal get beaten!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I remember when he missed the penalty on purpose against because he was being honest in saying it wasn't one [ah rare oul times]. Some ****er followed up and scored the rebound though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

messi the latest to come out publicly and....well you know the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

cson wrote: »
    I remember when he missed the penalty on purpose against because he was being honest in saying it wasn't one [ah rare oul times]. Some ****er followed up and scored the rebound though.

That'd be Goldie Locks, aka Jason McAteer.

Galvasean wrote: »
    That'd be Golie Locks, aka Jason McAteer.

I remember now, the Trigger bastard. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Any hint of truth to the Given to Arse rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I couldn't see it happening tbh. Man City have only just bought him so unless they're getting rid now to bring Hart in as no.1 I couldn't see it happening.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I couldn't see it happening tbh. Man City have only just bought him so unless they're getting rid now to bring Hart in as no.1 I couldn't see it happening.

That's what the rumours are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Ush1 wrote: »
    That's what the rumours are saying.

where did you read these? Havent seen any rumours yet but Given would be class

• Advertisement

gibson wrote: »

Herald AM!:pac:

They didn't even quote a source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

gibson wrote: »

Can't give any solid sources but I'm pretty sure I read in a few of the papers aka the mirror and the sun that Hart has been promised to be first choice so that he doesn't insist on going out on loan or a transfer for first team football. This is where the transfer of Given rumour comes into being as nobody believes he would be happy sitting on the bench for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Given at his age needs to be playing regular first team football and a spell on the bench would be disastrous and only one step off retirement. Not getting regular match practice would mean a deterioration in metal alertness and this is the last thing he will want.

How is his injury? Is he still out or when would he be available back for training. Saying that though he'd probably still pass a medical at Ashburton when still on crutches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Souless wrote: »
    Can't give any solid sources but I'm pretty sure I read in a few of the papers aka the mirror and the sun that Hart has been promised to be first choice so that he doesn't insist on going out on loan or a transfer for first team football. This is where the transfer of Given rumour comes into being as nobody believes he would be happy sitting on the bench for the season

I can't see why Hart would be promised first team football over a vastly experienced international keeper like Given.

He might have been promised a fair chance but automatic selection hardly.

Theres a story on the Metro website saying were asking City for either Hart or Given lol

Doesnt mention price and no quotes but Id take either over Schwarzer! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Anybody pick up the new away kit yet?

What's the fit like etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Anybody pick up the new away kit yet?

What's the fit like etc?

Let just say i started jogging again, first time in a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

If this had ahppened a few months ago we could have made basketball jokes...
    Didn't stop them over in the thread about the transfer - bit of Chicago Bulls/New York Red Bulls quippery going on.

Wonder will he repeat this little beauty when they play Spurs? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any chance of Schwarzer for keeper??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Udinese CB Cristian Zapata's agent sounds delighted we're interested in his client apparently - anybody seen Zapata before? Would he be first-team material?

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Seen this elsewhere..
    Just received the local rag & found a little story on Fabregas, maybe he isn't going anywhere at all.

Fabregas coming to St Albans? (From St Albans & Harpenden Review)

Fabregas coming to St Albans?
    Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas, who set up the goal that won the World Cup for Spain last night, is rumoured to have bought a £2 million house in St Albans.

The star has been linked with Barcelona throughout the summer but the London club have held firm and rejected all bids from the Catalan giants.

It remains to be seen whether or not the creative midfielder will get his 'dream move' back to the Nou Camp but Arsenal fans will be hoping that he has decided to stay in England by purchasing a property in St Albans. A source has told the Review that the star player, priced at 40 million Euros, bought a house in Marshalls Drive, one of the most expensive addresses in the district, about three weeks ago.

Marshalls Drive is just down the road from me, I imagine it's this house, or another one very similar that has just been completed (people buy £2-3million houses in that street & the first thing they do is knock them down).

6 bedroom house for sale in Marshals Drive, St. Albans, AL1

The cheapskate should've bought the one opposite, it's a proper house with a proper pool!

5 bedroom detached house for sale in St Albans,Hertfordshire, AL1

Class houses tbf.

• Advertisement

Must be into property because thats the 3rd or 4th house he's bought in St Albans, himself and Henry must setting up a company because henry bought a load of houses too.

Basically the net getting lazy again, the stories been around a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Let just say i started jogging again, first time in a long while.

Shizer, I'll be in the same boat.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Mary Harney for Goalkeeper maybe, it would take some shot to get it past her :D

she wouldn't want to get a job as head of the medical staff anyway there would be players on trolleys in the emirates corridors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Did anyone see this video yet? It involves Pique and Fabregas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii387pzvyD0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL I think the lads were drinking too much from the Champagne bottle at that stage.

Obviously Frank Rijkaard was a big influence on Pique as well.

Just as an aside every time I see Pique I think YARP!

Cesc only vindicating Phil Browns claims by egging on Pique like that :D

Udinese CB Cristian Zapata's agent sounds delighted we're interested in his client apparently - anybody seen Zapata before? Would he be first-team material?
    Ah don't get him started...

I think it's safe to say at least one person round here thinks he's very much first-team material :)

Well now we know where the Barca DNA came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Apparently we're in an £8m bidding war with Spurs for none other than Conor Wickham! Jackpot, I really can't wait to see how this one turns out!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

According to ppl who watch the England underage teams (I'm getting this from Youngguns Twitter), Afobe is the better player of him and Wickham. They both play up front for England Under 19s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I won't even mention the name of the team that we are going to play on the 22nd. That's how big a rivalry is it for me.

Just shivered a little bit, that man is the future manager i pray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

1134: Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has admitted they may not be able to sign Arsenal captain this summer. Rosell says there are currently no talks between the two sides over a deal for Spain midfielder.

"Arsenal feels very hurt by Barca," Rosell told Catalan TV3. "They don't want to listen to offers or sell and they are not putting the player on the market. There was a strong dispute a few months ago and they have not forgotten it.

"He will arrive, even if it is not now, it will be next year. We will see. One thing that is certain is that we will not go mad trying to sign him. No shareholder would pay 60 or 70m euros for him.

"We will not go all out for him. We would only pay his value in the transfer market." (Press Association)

Source here.

So we can now get back to looking for a goalkeeper and not wondering about Cesc!!

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Source here.

and not wondering about Cesc!!

until next summer :(

glad to see this is the end of it for the meantime though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

1134: Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has admitted they may not be able to sign Arsenal captain this summer. Rosell says there are currently no talks between the two sides over a deal for Spain midfielder.

"Arsenal feels very hurt by Barca," Rosell told Catalan TV3. "They don't want to listen to offers or sell and they are not putting the player on the market. There was a strong dispute a few months ago and they have not forgotten it.

"He will arrive, even if it is not now, it will be next year. We will see. One thing that is certain is that we will not go mad trying to sign him. No shareholder would pay 60 or 70m euros for him.

"We will not go all out for him. We would only pay his value in the transfer market." (Press Association)

Such arrogance. No shareholder would pay 60 or 70 million euros for him ?

Unbiased i would value cesc in current market price at 60 million. Not many center midfielders score 19 goals and get a similar number of assists.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Such arrogance. No shareholder would pay 60 or 70 million euros for him ?

Unbiased i would value cesc in current market price at 60 million. Not many center midfielders score 19 goals and get a similar number of assists.

Well then ensure by next season we have primed Real Madrid to take an interest in him as well. That should cure Mr. Rosell.

gandalf wrote: »
    Well then ensure by next season we have primed Real Madrid to take an interest in him as well. That should cure Mr. Rosell.

Exactly. Arsenal should start a bidding war if they are resigned to losing him. Lets see how Barca really value him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I think it's good news to see that Cesc will be staying (for the moment it seems). It shows that we do not need to flog our best players anymore and I believe it is more a sign of intent. This is possibly the first time in several years where we have said 'No, F*ck Off !'. I do believe that Fabregas' position as captain is untenable at this point though.

I do believe that Fabregas' position as captain is untenable at this point though.

Why? TBH he has been extremely professional about the whole thing. I want him to stay as captain because no matter what happens at the end of this season I am confident he is going to give his all for Arsenal during this season.

Who would you give the captaincy to then in his place?

I do believe that Fabregas' position as captain is untenable at this point though.
    Give him a break. Who doesn't want to sign for Barca? Especially when it's his hometown team (unlike Arshavin, say).

He asked about going, Arsenal said no and he's kept his counsel about the whole thing. Have you forgotten how Adebayor, Hleb, and others conducted themselves for transfers?

If his effort drops, then you'll have a point. But assuming he stays, there's no way he'll be anything other than exemplary next year.

• Advertisement

Few of our players are off to the U19 European Championship. Tom Cruise, Sunu and Coqueailin. Ozzie is on standby for Holland.

Oh and the squad for Barnet is announced:

Manuel Almunia (GK)
    Andrey Arshavin
    Nacer Barazite
    Marouane Chamakh
    Johan Djourou
    Craig Eastmond
    Eduardo
    Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
    Lukasz Fabianski (GK)
    Emmanuel Frimpong
    Kieran Gibbs
    Conor Henderson
    Laurent Koscielny
    Henri Lansbury
    Ignasi Miquel
    Samir Nasri
    Havard Nordtveit
    Tomas Rosicky
    Armand Traore
    Thomas Vermaelen
    Theo Walcott
    Jack Wilshere

It bothers me the way Almunia is top of that list. :(

cson wrote: »
    It bothers me the way Almunia is top of that list. :(

Fine, we'll sign some young lad called Adam Aaronson. Happy now?

How about Akinfeev? :pac:

Oh and the squad for Barnet is announced:
    Bloody hell, we really need defenders... all we've got is attackers!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

?

2 keepers
    7 defenders
    7 midfielders
    6 forwards

• Advertisement

Not numbers - experience. People you'd want playing in the league - Miquel, Traore, Nordveit?

Not for me.

EDIT: I know our first-choice full-backs are missing there but it's fairly alarming to remember that currently we get down to players just coming out of the youths so quickly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There are fewer experienced midfielders in that squad.

Yes but assuming we keep Fabregas, we've got one of the league's best CMs to come into midfield. And Song, if he reins it in a bit more sometimes, should improve even more this year than he did last year, similarly Diaby.

I don't see the same possibilities in the defence, which I think is clearly weaker than our midfield, especially in terms of how quickly it jumps from first-choice to raw 19-year-olds.

I'm putting in bold the players I consider experienced against:

Manuel Almunia
    Andrey Arshavin
    Nacer Barazite
    Marouane Chamakh
    Johan Djourou
    Craig Eastmond
    Eduardo
    Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
    Lukasz Fabianski
    Emmanuel Frimpong
    Kieran Gibbs
    Conor Henderson
    Laurent Koscielny
    Henri Lansbury
    Ignasi Miquel
    Samir Nasri
    Havard Nordtveit
    Tomas Rosicky
    Armand Traore
    Thomas Vermaelen
    Theo Walcott
    Jack Wilshere

So, seven of a 22. I suppose Walcott and Djourou are reasonably experienced too. Add Song, Eboue, Sagna, Bendtner, Clichy,Denilson, Diaby, van Persie and Fabregas.
    So were looking at 16-18 experienced players. After that it's unproven lads. That's not enough to launch a sustained Premier League campaign.

Surely Walcott is "experienced". The guy has been to a world cup! :eek:

Gibbs is also borderline experienced with Champions league football under his belt.

Djourou must be as experienced as Gibbs is if not more.

So in short..... Blah! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement