Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Paleface wrote: »
    Surely Walcott is "experienced". The guy has been to a world cup! :eek:

Gibbs is also borderline experienced with Champions league football under his belt.

Djourou must be as experienced as Gibbs is if not more.

So in short..... Blah! :D

I actually had Gibbs down on the maybe pile but he hasn't had a whole lot of first team football. One first team run isn't a whole lot IMO.
    Walcott has never been able to hold down a first team place so I wouldn't include him.
    Djourou gets in the maybes despite not having much first team football at Arsenal because he was one of Switzeland's first choice players before his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

There is one player i'm looking forward to watching very closely today and that is Samir Nasri, mammoth season for Nasri this year i have a feeling.

Almunia not even on bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

http://www.iraqgoals.tv/ch1.html
    1-0, Arshavin

Don't think spoilers are needed, but just in case!

Almunia not even on bench

First thing to make me smile today (hangover), delighted!

L'prof wrote: »
    First thing to make me smile today (hangover), delighted!

But Fabianski is there so that smile will be turned upside down again. :D

But Fabianski is there so that smile will be turned upside down again. :D

Not that he'll be needed today, but it'll have to do!

Good to have real football back on :pac:

3-0 at half time. All Arsenal. Arshavin, and Simpson with a brace.

Jack Wilshere and Arshavin are playing excellently.

Woop!

sryzcyzny (however the hell you spell his name!) is on for Mannone. Wearing the no.1 shirt! :eek:

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote: »
    sryzcyzny (however the hell you spell his name!) is on for Mannone. Wearing the no.1 shirt! :eek:

Haha, it'll never happen...surely :eek:

It's happened...

And Nasri makes it 4

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Im guessing the things on the back of the shirts are the GPS trackers?

Will they be allowed during the season?

No way. Imagine landing badly on one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Anyone know what formation we played? Still sticking with 4-3-3? Did Whilshere play in the Fabegras role?

Had a euro on 4-0 at 10/1...

Hindsight is wonderful eh...

Anyone got link to goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Wow, Barnet's defense was worse than rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Galvasean wrote: »

Yea, they looked pretty bad, I was watching bits of the game in work, didnt see a whole lot, but what I did see really did look like a pre season friendly. No bad tackles or anything. It doesnt show it on the highlights but Arshavins run for the second goal was very good, not in a way that he got past many players, but in how he ran so fast. One second he was walking with the ball, the next he is bombing towards goal.

There was alot of talk of him not being 100% last season but still playing, I'm hoping he doesnt have to play through pain this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Galvasean wrote: »

EDIT; Beaten to it, my bad

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger wrote:
    “Gallas and Silvestre will sign somewhere else. Campbell is still in no man’s land at the moment.”
    No more Mr Potatohead! Woot!

From twitter: Wenger says #Arsenal "are still active" in transfer market. "Not interested" in Schwarzer but "no number 1". Refuses to comment on #JoeCole

hmmm! Would rather see Wilshere given a go instead of signing Cole, but I wouldn't say no the added experience all the same. I didn't see the game today but most people seem to have been very impressed by Jack... seems to happen every pre-season.

Apparently Almunia was 'ill'. I reckon he'll be sold. Wonder who'll come in to replace him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gotta say I was hoping Cole would sign to begin with. But given his wage demands, injury record, and how utterly shít he looked at the world cup, I'm definitely having second thoughts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

1st post in this thread :) I think ill tear my hair out if we dont sign a keeper, still plenty of time yet but knowing wenger he will stick with what hes got. Wouldnt been that keen on joe cole tbh, Would it not limit starts for Walcott?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how utterly **** he looked at the world cup?! bit harsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

iMuse wrote: »
    1st post in this thread :) I think ill tear my hair out if we dont sign a keeper, still plenty of time yet but knowing wenger he will stick with what hes got. Wouldnt been that keen on joe cole tbh, Would it not limit starts for Walcott?

The first rumblings of discontent will come if he leaves the GK position the way it is. Failure to sign a keeper is gonna have a lot of gooners on Wengers case from the first kick of the new season. I'll be genuinely shocked if he doesn't bring in at least one new keeper.

Not too fussed on Joe Cole myself. The plaudits being thrown his way have me scratching my head tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The stand out performers for me today were Wilshere, Frimpong, and Arshavin mainly. Frimpong has that bit of bite we lack in midfield and if he could improve his passing I'd like to see more of him.

Walcott played well in the second half and I was impressed with Chamakh. Looks to be able to hold up the ball with ease in the central role and links up play nicely.

Koscileny showed both the good and bad of what was expected from him. Displayed excellent anticipation by intercepting passes but also got pushed off the ball once or twice. Still, Vermaelen was terrible in the same fixture last year so can't judge him on one half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Saw the goals. Total ****e defending on Barnet's part. Guess thats why they are Barnet!

I saw Predators the other night. The only thing I took from it was wanting to listen to this music over and over and over ..... Arsenal should aspire to be this deadly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arseblog reckons it said 'Barca - **** you'

• Advertisement

35261_413117127738_707062738_4601725_6211351_n.jpg

"Cesc is a really nice guy and desperate to become a Barcelona player," Puyol said in the Daily Star Sunday.
    "But he is not the sort of player to be ruthless and start using the media to get him the move that he wants.
    Class

"There are many players who would try all sorts of tricks to make it impossible to ever play for Arsenal again but that is not his style.
    "I think Arsenal need to respect his class and show the same class by giving the guy who has given so much to them the move that he and his family want.
    "He isn't just being deprived of moving to the best club in the world. More importantly, he is being deprived of coming home.
    "He has tried everything to win trophies at Arsenal and when he sees the success so many of his Spanish team-mates are having at Barcelona, it's only natural that he should want to be a part of that."
    Puyol played alongside Fabregas at this summer's World Cup, as Spain tasted global glory, and he is confident he will soon be lining up with the 23-year-old at club level as well.
    He added: "He is the future of Barcelona and Arsenal can't do anything to stop that. I have just spent six weeks with him and there is only one club he wants to be at.
    "The worst-case scenario is that we have to wait another 12 months for him to join us - but Arsenal, Barcelona and Cesc know that is the very worst-case scenario."

I don't think i've ever hated someone more in football than Carlos Puyol....

Those comments are sickening. Cesc is staying this season and i pray we win something for him if he is going next season. Because of Jose stays at Madrid for a few years Cesc won't be winning anything over there, Jose does not lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Well he's definitely as fed up with Almunia as the rest of us anyway.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-there-isn-t-a-no-1-at-arsenal
    Wenger - There isn't a No 1 at Arsenal

Arsène Wenger does not currently have a No 1 keeper.

The Arsenal manager has been speaking about his goalkeeping situation and says the Club is still in the market for a new keeper, though he dismissed links with Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer.

Lukasz Fabianski, Vito Mannone and Wojciech Szczesny all appeared between the sticks in Saturday's pre-season win over Barnet while Manuel Almunia was sick. Afterwards Wenger confirmed that the No 1 spot was open for next season

"We are still active in the transfer market," he said after the 4-0 win.

"At the moment, in pre-season, there is no No 1 - you have to give a chance to everyone to show how good he is. You cannot decide that today.

When asked about media reports linking him with Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer, Wenger replied: "Not really.

"We are still looking at various situations, but I would not like to come out on any individuals."

Think I'm gonna get myself a Real Madrid jersey.

Interesting comments on Schwarzer, wonder who he's thinking of signing? Hopefully someone like Joe Hart although is there anything to be read into the fact that apparently Wojciech Szczesny came on in the second half wearing the number 1 jersey :confused: hes already got a squad number so not sure why he was wearing number 1, even though Wenger said there is no number 1 at the club.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    It's happened...

What I meant was, surely he won't actually be number 1 for the season!

Here's what henry had to say about Cesc & Barca.
    Henry wrote:
    It is hard because the guy is from Barcelona. I wouldn't like to be in his shoes that's all I can say.

I wouldn't like to be in his position because he is from there and he loves Arsenal. I don't know what to say about this, because I don't want to talk for him.

But as an Arsenal fan, for me, I want him to stay at Arsenal, but I would also understand if he goes back home.

What I want to do is when I retire, I don't know how, but I want to come back to Arsenal, I have just come here (New York) to play and to compete and win another title.

After everything is done then I will think about it. Whatever it is I want to come back (to Arsenal), maybe as a waterboy, I just love this club.

I'm trying to get back in shape (for the match), I've not done much since the World Cup. I don't think I will play long, but we will see.

Henry for waterboy, nice one. It'll be great to have him back at the club in some capacity.

Reports in Croatia that Eduardo has signed for Shakhtar Donetsk for £7.5 million

http://www.index.hr/sport/clanak/novi-pocetak-u-ukrajini-eduardo-u-shakhtaru-za-75-milijuna-eura/502402.aspx

£7.5m would be very good money for him if true.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I don't think i've ever hated someone more in football than Carlos Puyol....

Those comments are sickening. Cesc is staying this season and i pray we win something for him if he is going next season. Because of Jose stays at Madrid for a few years Cesc won't be winning anything over there, Jose does not lose.
    The irony of Puyol talking about class.
    L'prof wrote: »
    Henry for waterboy, nice one. It'll be great to have him back at the club in some capacity.
    I said I hoped for as much in the Henry MLS thread - great to read. A coaching role or perhaps Charlie George can share touring duties with him ;)

'Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the Emirates Stadium. My name is Thierry Henry, and I'll be your host today.... hey, didn't I see you on the tour yesterday... and the day before that?'

While I'd love for him to stay and get back to his best this is probably the best thing for all involved. He couldn't get a look in towards the end of last season and now we've added Chamakh. I'd also still like to see Vela get more games so someone needs to be moved on.

• Advertisement

I said I hoped for as much in the Henry MLS thread - great to read.

Didn't spend much time in that thread, too many bitterballs'.

I wouldnt mind him staying if he could get back to himself but I dont think he's ever going to get the chance with us. RVP, Chamakh, Bendtner, Arshavin then you got Walcott and Vela as well too many ahead of him I think

Its a pity really, cause if he does leave he'll always be the what if player, what if he didnt break his leg how good could he have been :(

Theres also another link I found

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsportske.jutarnji.hr%2Findex.php%3Fcmd%3Dshow_clanak%26clanak_id%3D22312&sl=hr&tl=en

says medical on Monday morning, looks like he's gone

gibson wrote: »
    Its a pity really, cause if he does leave he'll always be the what if player, what if he didnt break his leg how good could he have been :(

It's so frustrating to be honest, he was one of the best finishers I've ever seen before breaking his leg. Since then, even though he hasn't had much game time, he doesn't seem to have any pace any more and that's taken away from his game massively.

Its a pity really, cause if he does leave he'll always be the what if player

He's already the what if player. He's clearly not the same as he was before the break and often looked totally out of his depth in the small amount of game time he got last season. £7.5m for him is very good business.

yep very true L'prof and the Celtic game seemed to knock his confidence too the way the press attacked him

Someone pointed out on another site that the daily mail said last week we had to get rid of either Eduardo or Rosicky before signing Cole. I know latest rumors are all about Liverpool, but didnt he say he wanted Champions League football?

That'd be a great price alright,especially with the niggly injuries he's been prone too since St. Andrews.

Someone pointed out on another site that the daily mail said last week we had to get rid of either Eduardo or Rosicky before signing Cole. I know latest rumors are all about Liverpool, but didnt he say he wanted Champions League football?

I think AW will give Rosicky another chance to see if he can get through a season injury free. On his day and fully fit he's a fantastic asset but sadly the medical team have seen more of him than we have.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I think AW will give Rosicky another chance to see if he can get through a season injury free. On his day and fully fit he's a fantastic asset but sadly the medical team have seen more of him than we have.

Oh ye I think Rosicky will definitely stay but I meant they were saying Eduardo leaving before anyone even said it. So maybe we are getting Cole after all

Well if you want to offset Eduardo leaving so we can bring in Cole...

Cole's rumoured to be looking for £110k a week for 3 years, I'm just going to assume that includes his signing on bonus. So that's £17.2m. We're rumoured to be selling Eduardo for £7.5m, so that would be £9.7m. I'm going to take a guess and say that Eduardo is on £50k a week, that would be £7.8m over the 3 years. So that would take the Cole transfer down to £1.9m or an extra £12.1k a week. Is getting rid of Eduardo and bringing in Cole worth spending an extra £12.1k a week? Absolutely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

The rags are saying Everton have turned down a bid for Phil Jagielka. Would be a good signing but I can't see Everton selling. Only for rediculous money. The idea of Arsenal spending rediculous money is ... rediculous!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement