Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Maybe the Schwarzer deal was actually short term; til January when we could get Akinfeev on a free. I know you mentioned the waiting til January thing Frisbee I think. Wouldn't be a bad course of action if it worked out.

Oh btw any Dublin based gooners up for Kates for the first live match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

cson wrote: »
    Might be away for it, not sure yet. But if I'm around, could be a runner alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Incidentally, if we don't bring in a keeper and keep Szczesny...

... can we at least get another keeper's name on loan and give it to Wojciech?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Maybe the Schwarzer deal was actually short term; til January when we could get Akinfeev on a free. I know you mentioned the waiting til January thing Frisbee I think. Wouldn't be a bad course of action if it worked out.

I was looking at it as an option alright but I'd imagine he'll bugger off to someone else like Utd or AC or somewhere.

Out of curiosity lads which airport do yiz usually fly into when your heading over to games?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Frisbee wrote: »
    Out of curiosity lads which airport do yiz usually fly into when your heading over to games?

No contest, Heathrow for me, then again I will only fly with bmi and they only go to Heathrow.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    No contest, Heathrow for me, then again I will only fly with bmi and they only go to Heathrow.

Trying to decide atm.

Heathrow is obviously closer and handier for the tube.

But Gatwick is cheaper on ryanair atm for the 31st :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Definitely.

Emirates Cup is on sky sports 2, wonder if they'll show that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Trying to decide atm.

Heathrow is obviously closer and handier for the tube.

But Gatwick is cheaper on ryanair atm for the 31st :pac:

I think it depends how often you are going to go and if you are going for the day or longer and so are going to bring luggage.

bmi have an excellent frequent flyer scheme if you travel over a bit and they don't charge for extras so depending what time you are travelling it works out well.

If its a day trip, I would still go for Heathrow, cause of the direct tube link, Stansted and Gatwick are still handy enough though, though have never flown to Gatwick myself. Stansted seems to be quite handy as you can link up with the tube at Tottenham Hale.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I think it depends how often you are going to go and if you are going for the day or longer and so are going to bring luggage.

bmi have an excellent frequent flyer scheme if you travel over a bit and they don't charge for extras so depending what time you are travelling it works out well.

If its a day trip, I would still go for Heathrow, cause of the direct tube link, Stansted and Gatwick are still handy enough though, though have never flown to Gatwick myself. Stansted seems to be quite handy as you can link up with the tube at Tottenham Hale.

Yeah it's just for one day atm, the AC game hopefully, although if I can persuade someone to come with me (no Arsenal supporting mates) I might stay over and catch the Celtic game the next day as one of my mates who supports AC is gonna come on the Saturday.

I'll check out bmi, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Peeps,

Just wondering what you lot thought of Campbell last year? Seems like he may be about to sign for Newcastle, the press seem to think he did ok, but hes English and that qualifies him for special treatment....

Cheers

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I thought too.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Unbelievably excellent.

Pride, passion, belief, determination, guts.

Everything our current players don't have.

He'll be sorely missed by me. A class act and a big mistake by Wenger in letting him leave, he's exactly what we need in the dressing room. Regardless of age, he is what we lack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sol just got married so maybe he wont wanna move away from London...maybe.

wud love to have him for another season. fantastic player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

x PyRo wrote: »
    Unbelievably excellent.

Pride, passion, belief, determination, guts.

Everything our current players don't have.

He'll be sorely missed by me. A class act and a big mistake by Wenger in letting him leave, he's exactly what we need in the dressing room. Regardless of age, he is what we lack.

He's not letting him leave, Sol wants more than one year though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Did surprisingly well but that west ham game will always be at the back of my mind, so i'm not exactly pissed that he did'nt stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just a heads up for anyone heading to Kates. The DASC are now meeting in the Mercantile on Dame St. for the coming season. They've given us the use of a room downstairs.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Luton is handy enough if you're looking to do it on the cheap. Never flown into Heathrow, always seemed too expensive, but would obviously be the handiest option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

M5 wrote: »
    Peeps,

Just wondering what you lot thought of Campbell last year? Seems like he may be about to sign for Newcastle, the press seem to think he did ok, but hes English and that qualifies him for special treatment....

Cheers

I was pleasantly surprised tbh. I was dead set against him ever coming back to The Arsenal after his shenanigans against the Hammers. But i gotta hand it to him,he was outstanding for the last few months of the season. Both from a playing point of view and for his leadership. The Sp*rs game was a great example of it. Many looked like they couldn't be bothered yet Sol was still trying to drive them on. Spoke volumes for his character.

While the West Ham game still rankles with me,at least i'll have a slightly more positive memory of the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Sol just got married so maybe he wont wanna move away from London...maybe.

wud love to have him for another season. fantastic player

Nope, his wife is a northern lass, a very rich northern lass, so I'd say he's going to Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Phil Thompson on Newstalk this morning. Reckons Liverpool will defo make top 4 and Arsenal are in danger of dropping out.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Phil Thompson on Newstalk this morning. Reckons Liverpool will defo make top 4 and Arsenal are in danger of dropping out.

If Spuds make the group stages of the CL I reckon it will be a Top 4 of United, Chelsea, Us and City.

If Spurs don't make the group stages I reckon we can add them to the fight for a Top 4 finish.

Then Pool and Villa are always capable of making a charge for it too.

I think we really need to make another signing or two if we want to push for the title, not a hope we can win it with the current squad.

Phil Thompson is an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Thank Christ for that.I've heard so little about us falling out of the top 4 next season I felt a danger it might happen.Tommo cleared that up though.He should try stand up.

If Spuds make the group stages of the CL I reckon it will be a Top 4 of United, Chelsea, Us and City.

If Spurs don't make the group stages I reckon we can add them to the fight for a Top 4 finish.

Then Pool and Villa are always capable of making a charge for it too.

I think we really need to make another signing or two if we want to push for the title, not a hope we can win it with the current squad.

You reckon Spurs will be too streched if they qualify? I just think they'll be in over their head.

I think it's Citys year for the top 4 and I agree, Arsenal don't have a hope of winning the league with the current squad.

You reckon Spurs will be too streched if they qualify? I just think they'll be in over their head.

I think it's Citys year for the top 4 and I agree, Arsenal don't have a hope of winning the league with the current squad.

If Spurs make the groupm stages I don't thinhk they have the squad or quality in depth to maintain a top 4 place. City will definitely be a member of the Top 4 this year imo, along with Chelsea and United.

So that leaves the last spot to us, Pool, Spurs and tio a lesser extent Villa and Everton. Out of those teams we're in the best position to maintain our place, although another signing or two is seriously needed. Preferable a GK and CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Phil Thompson is unbelievably biased towards Liverpool. He's not a fair or rational pundit.

Swap Man City for Spurs and I reckon the rest will be the same as last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

ha, he always says good things about liverpool

L'prof wrote: »
    Swap Man City for Spurs and I reckon the rest will be the same as last year.

I'd agree with that, but I think Arsenal are weaker to an extent than last season.

I'd agree with that, but I think Arsenal are weaker to an extent than last season.

Not by much though. Wenger either (stupidly) believes we'll have less injuries than previous seasons or he'll sign some more heads. I certainly hope it's the latter, but I'm not convinced. Either way, I think we'll achieve a top 4 finish.

I'd agree with that.

Chamakh has come in for Eduardo. He could turn out to be a better player for us but atm we have no way of knowing. Same goes for Kosielny replacing Gallas.

Gallas is a huge loss for us, even though he was injured a lot when he was fit he was a great player.

Silvestre is no huge loss but it means we're down a back up play, although I'm sure Djourou is 'like a new signing'. We'll probably see one of Nordveit or Bartley move up to cover for the first team, most likely Nordveit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That's a bit of an assumption isn't it? Need to wait until the transfer window closes before that conclusion can be reached.

I'd agree with that.

Chamakh has come in for Eduardo. He could turn out to be a better player for us but atm we have no way of knowing. Same goes for Kosielny replacing Gallas.

Gallas is a huge loss for us, even though he was injured a lot when he was fit he was a great player.

Silvestre is no huge loss but it means we're down a back up play, although I'm sure Djourou is 'like a new signing'. We'll probably see one of Nordveit or Bartley move up to cover for the first team, most likely Nordveit.

Gallas is certainly a huge loss. With Sol gone aswell it's down to a relatively young and unfamiliar defence that might need some bedding in time. Add to that lack of a consistent goalkeeper.

I think cover for Fabregas is a big thing, when is Ramsey expected back?

Silvestre should never have come, joke of a signing.

greendom wrote: »
    That's a bit of an assumption isn't it? Need to wait until the transfer window closes before that conclusion can be reached.

It's an assumption based on what's happened so far.

Not by much though. Wenger either (stupidly) believes we'll have less injuries than previous seasons or he'll sign some more heads. I certainly hope it's the latter, but I'm not convinced. Either way, I think we'll achieve a top 4 finish.

I think so to but it might be tighter than last year. Not the direction ye want to be going either really.

I think cover for Fabregas is a big thing, when is Ramsey expected back?

I think around January was projected. I'm writing him off until next season though, he'll have the whole getting back to fitness and the constant niggly injuries when he gets back. I would be amazed to see him feature more than a half dozen times this season.

• Advertisement

I think around January was projected. I'm writing him off until next season though, he'll have the whole getting back to fitness and the constant niggly injuries when he gets back. I would be amazed to see him feature more than a half dozen times this season.

I reckon the same, and that's assuming he'll be back to his best at all. Hope he does get back to it of course.

I think last season showed that without Fabregas it's abit of a struggle. It'll be a big year for the likes of Nasri, Arshavin and Walcott. They've all sorta flattered to decieve really.

I'd agree with that.

Provided Eduardo has left of course, I really don't see how Chamakh could have less of an impact. As for losing Campbell, Silvestre and Gallas. It's unfortunate, but we need to be replacing them anyway.

I reckon the same, and that's assuming he'll be back to his best at all. Hope he does get back to it of course.

I think last season showed that without Fabregas it's abit of a struggle. It'll be a big year for the likes of Nasri, Arshavin and Walcott. They've all sorta flattered to decieve really.

Nasri I have high hopes for, I reckon he can push on this season and I'd much rather see him in the middle with Cesc that Diaby. When Diaby is good he's excellent, but for every good game he ahs he has about 3 stinkers.

Shava kid of fell flat last season, never looked at his besty and even seemed disiniterested a lot of the time. I hope he can regain the form of his first season this year and bang in 12-15 league goals.

Walcott, meh, he still hasn't shown that he's got anything more than raw pace. Can't cross, can't trick his way by a man, can't pass and has awful positioning. Every once in a while he has a brilliant game and that kind of papers over the cracks but imo he shouldn't be starting, impact sub is all he's fit for on his current showing.

Provided Eduardo has left of course, I really don't see how Chamakh could have less of an impact. As for losing Campbell, Silvestre and Gallas. It's unfortunate, but we need to be replacing them anyway.

I think Chamakh will offer more than a ghost-like Eduardo. I think a consistent foward line is key, not withstanding RVPs oblitatory season ending injury.

Apart from that it's the defence and GK that would concern. I think so many people under rate Gallas. I think he is/was Arsenals best defender by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Big seasons for all three frisbee, talk this morning of Shava signing a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I think shava will do good, i think he's finally got it into his head that he's not going to barca in the immediate future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

I think people are underestimating how good Arshavin was last season, I think the 4 goals v 'Pool really set the bar too high. He still got 10 league goals last season which is very good considering he wasnt a striker. He wasn't brilliant last year but neither was he rubbish.

On another note did ppl see Guardiola said that if they got Cesc they'd play him in a more defensive role initially, replacing Yaya basically. That would be such a ridiculos waste of his talents. I always presumed if they got him they push Iniesta up on the wing and Cesc would take his spot.

Another reason to stay!

I think Chamakh will offer more than a ghost-like Eduardo. I think a consistent foward line is key, not withstanding RVPs oblitatory season ending injury.

Apart from that it's the defence and GK that would concern. I think so many people under rate Gallas. I think he is/was Arsenals best defender by a mile.

I'm disappointed Gallas is leaving, don't get me wrong, but we're losing an ageing defender who has seen his best years and has been a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

I'm disappointed Gallas is leaving, don't get me wrong, but we're losing an ageing defender who has seen his best years and has been a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

Gallas only played so much this season though because of Johan's knee surgery. I think Johan is a quality center back and will be the one to partner Verm.

Pre season will decide who will partner Verm in the middle i do think, also who our number 1 will be for the season. I also don't want to sign that Russian keeper due to the fact is Wojsecz is that good it will push him further down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Ppl should remember Casillas broke into Real's team at 19 when we talk of him being too young at 20.

Ppl should remember Casillas broke into Real's team at 19 when we talk of him being too young at 20.

That has been brought up before and i agree i'd love to give him the birth of fire this season and throw him right in. But is he going to be like Iker, the pessimist inside me says Arsenal are not lucky enough to have that sort of 1 in 10000 player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement