Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ppl should remember Casillas broke into Real's team at 19 when we talk of him being too young at 20.

Casillas is an exception to the rule though. Trying to say we could have the next Iker on our hands in Schejeknekn is insane. He could turn out to be as good, but I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

L'prof wrote: »
    I'm disappointed Gallas is leaving, don't get me wrong, but we're losing an ageing defender who has seen his best years and has been a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

I 'spose the aprehension is with who Gallas is replaced with. Better the devil you know. A devil that's a very good defender.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Frisbee wrote: »
    Walcott, meh, he still hasn't shown that he's got anything more than raw pace. Can't cross, can't trick his way by a man, can't pass and has awful positioning. Every once in a while he has a brilliant game and that kind of papers over the cracks but imo he shouldn't be starting, impact sub is all he's fit for on his current showing.

I wish AW would give him a run through the middle. Sure we've loads in that position but it's his natural position,he's not a winger. I'd like to see him as an impact sub as a centre forward. Assume we start with Chamakh and RVP up front i'd see Walcott and Bendtner as the centre forward subs. Stick Diaby and Arshavin out wide with Nasri and Fabregas in the middle. Back to a 4-4-2 but flexible too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ush1 wrote: »
    I 'spose the aprehension is with who Gallas is replaced with. Better the devil you know. A devil that's a very good defender.:pac:

It all depends on how the pole frog turns out, but I think we need more options back there.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I wish AW would give him a run through the middle. Sure we've loads in that position but it's his natural position,he's not a winger. I'd like to see him as an impact sub as a centre forward. Assume we start with Chamakh and RVP up front i'd see Walcott and Bendtner as the centre forward subs. Stick Diaby and Arshavin out wide with Nasri and Fabregas in the middle. Back to a 4-4-2 but flexible too.:)

I doubt any of the top teams will revert to a 4-4-2 next year.

I doubt any of the top teams will revert to a 4-4-2 next year.

With AW you never know!:p

No Vuvuzelas at the Grove this season.:D

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/vuvuzelas-not-welcome-

And RVP officially our new #10. Vela moves to #11.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/van-persie-is-arsenal-s-new-no-10

lord lucan wrote: »

I very much doubt we'll be 4-4-2 and Walcoot isn't capable of playing the striker role in our 4-3-3.

Diaby out wide? Are you mad? He's poison out wide. Plus that midfield would provide absolutely zero defensive cover for and already shaky defence.

Diaby out wide? Are you mad? He's poison out wide.

I think he's poison full stop. I had hoped he'd be moved on this summer but knowing AW he'll persist with playing him this season. The odd flash of excellence usually overshadowed by mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Diaby is awful out wide whenever hes played there, Vela 11 is interesting

• Advertisement

Daily Mail reporting Fabregas is gonna hand in an official transfer request on Monday.

No sources, just "reportedly".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I'd have to agree with Frisbee, Walcott just does not have the brain to play up front. Speed is his main asset best utilised out on the wing. He really needs to impress this season IMO

Manuel Almunia
    Abou Diaby
    Bacary Sagna
    Thomas Vermaelen
    Tomas Rosicky
    Samir Nasri
    Laurent Koscielny
    Carlos Vela
    Theo Walcott
    Alex Song
    Jack Wilshere
    Johan Djourou
    Lukasz Fabianski
    Gael Clichy
    Andrey Arshavin
    Vito Mannone
    Emmanuel Eboue
    Kieran Gibbs
    Marouane Chamakh
    Armand Traore
    Wojciech Szczesny
    Craig Eastmond
    Emmanuel Frimpong
    Conor Henderson
    Henri Lansbury
    Jay Emmanuel-Thomas
    Havard Nordtveit

is the squad thats gone to Austria, Useful indication of which youngsters are gettn a chance to impress and break into first team

Must be the end for Jay Simpson. Glad Frimpong is there, really impressed me v Barnet.

Daily Mail reporting Fabregas is gonna hand in an official transfer request on Monday.

No sources, just "reportedly".

How screwed are we if he does that? Does that force our hand or can we make him stay realistically?

God Dammit Carlos. Now I have to upgrade my Vela 12 to Vela 11....

Except I won't be doing that as he'll be sold soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Vela will stay i reckon since Edu is gone.

Vela is the one player more than any at the club i want to see make that " WORLD CLASS " breakthrough especially considering his previous years hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Now that Eduardo is gone I can see Vela either having a breakthrough season or being sold next year.

With that in mind ive just ordered my next seasons jersey from arsenal.com with vela #11!

When does the new kit launch anyone. Went into shop in dundalk today woman said she didn't know at all wasn't on her books.

Looks class on the players decisions on what name and number to get also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

SDTimeout wrote: »
    When does the new kit launch anyone. Went into shop in dundalk today woman said she didn't know at all wasn't on her books.

It's practically the same as the 2007 home shirt? :confused:

• Advertisement

29th of july

its the same (almost) as recent shirts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Vela will stay i reckon since Edu is gone.

Vela is the one player more than any at the club i want to see make that " WORLD CLASS " breakthrough especially considering his previous years hype.

+1

the amount of time and effort invested in him so far; 2 seasons out on loan with Spanish clubs and then getting him a Visa and then him being ****e since he came to England bar a couple of flashes in the Carling Cup...

Doocey wrote: »
    It's practically the same as the 2007 home shirt? :confused:

Maybe it's me but apart from the gold stripe i notice a difference that makes me like this seasons kit alot.

arsenal2901R1_468x336.jpg

gun__1279522504_barnet17072010_1.jpg

Maybe it's a brighter red or perhaps my eyes don't work. The newer kit is more appealing imo

Maybe it's me but apart from the gold stripe i notice a difference that makes me like this seasons kit alot.

arsenal2901R1_468x336.jpg

Maybe it's a brighter red or perhaps my eyes don't work. The newer kit is more appealing imo

The most appealing thing about that picture is Fab and Flamini together tbf...

Old shirts ftw. Never go out of fashion!:)

1007l.jpg

How screwed are we if he does that? Does that force our hand or can we make him stay realistically?

The club could put a large transfer fee on him if he done that. Enough they hope to put off Barca et al from going for him. Problem is,if he requests a transfer and ends up going nowhere then you have a player playing with a chip on his shoulder. Not ideal for all concerned.

Anyways,i personally think it's the media **** stirring.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm very pleased to see Conor Henderson included in the Austria squad. Two years out injured and bouncing back. The boss seems to rate him very highly.

As for Arsenal being weaker this season I don't agree, though I suppose Fabregas is the big wild card. Will he play well having had his head turned and a long world cup? I think he's a big enough pro to do so but we'll see. However I don't see Gallas leaving as that huge an issue - he tended to miss fair stretches of every season and even when he was playing we weren't exactly watertight. He was a very good player for us alright but I personally put most of our defensive issues down to the midfield and they're young and definitely improving. I'll be very disappointed if Sol decides to go elsewhere though.

Who knows how Koscielny will do but Chamakh to me looks the business, a big, strong, quick striker who brings others into play, basically the anti-Eduardo. Losing van Persie (which may not happen this season either) and Bendtner at the same time hurt us last time.

Also, regarding Ramsey - January seems pessimistic. He was back up and walking around extremely quickly thanks to metal pins inserted and last I heard he was scheduled to be running around on it by now. I think a lot of the problems for Eduardo were in rebuilding the muscles and he had a lot of setbacks because of it, and that shouldn't affect Ramsey. His was a clean break, unlike Eduardo's who iirc was a double fracture with a dislocated ankle.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Oh yeah, and nice to see Frimpong in the squad too.

gun__1279114010_wengertrain14072010_08.jpg

My ball!

Ramsey is running again i recall seeing that recently.

Hindsight is wonderful however i think is Aaron was fit now during the summer the boss would have sold Cesc. Would have been rather fitting that his last action in the shirt was to score a penalty against Barca in order to help us.

Hope we get them in the CL this season more than ever.

Oh yeah, and nice to see Frimpong in the squad too.

gun__1279114010_wengertrain14072010_08.jpg

My ball!

He is a seriously big guy for an 18 year old!

Hope we get them in the CL this season more than ever.

Why would you wish that? So they can hammer us again?

• Advertisement

While i'm not confident in our ability to have a world class goalkeeper hidden in the squad i am confident of our squads ability to get up for a big game when needed.

After all the stuff that has gone on this summer i want to see us have another crack at Barca again.

Barca have improved on their squad of last season while we have stayed the same/weakened slightly imo, drawing Barca again would mean another exit.

I'm very pleased to see Conor Henderson included in the Austria squad. Two years out injured and bouncing back. The boss seems to rate him very highly.

As for Arsenal being weaker this season I don't agree, though I suppose Fabregas is the big wild card. Will he play well having had his head turned and a long world cup? I think he's a big enough pro to do so but we'll see. However I don't see Gallas leaving as that huge an issue - he tended to miss fair stretches of every season and even when he was playing we weren't exactly watertight. He was a very good player for us alright but I personally put most of our defensive issues down to the midfield and they're young and definitely improving. I'll be very disappointed if Sol decides to go elsewhere though.

Who knows how Koscielny will do but Chamakh to me looks the business, a big, strong, quick striker who brings others into play, basically the anti-Eduardo. Losing van Persie (which may not happen this season either) and Bendtner at the same time hurt us last time.

Also, regarding Ramsey - January seems pessimistic. He was back up and walking around extremely quickly thanks to metal pins inserted and last I heard he was scheduled to be running around on it by now. I think a lot of the problems for Eduardo were in rebuilding the muscles and he had a lot of setbacks because of it, and that shouldn't affect Ramsey. His was a clean break, unlike Eduardo's who iirc was a double fracture with a dislocated ankle.

Chamakh is the anti-Eduardo in that sense, but also in that he's very non clinical. Bad in one on ones. He's good in the air and has decent pace but is kinda brainless. I've watched alot of him in Ligue 1 but I don't think he'll set the world alight in England but who knows.

Defense in midfield I think is only a flaw when they play very good sides. It usually leaves Song with far too much work to do. Fabregas is the only other midfielder that effectively can tackle and win possession but he's too high up the pitch. Yes, I don't rate Denilson, Diaby or Nasri defensively at all.

I dont think theyd hammer us to be fair. Bar a few lapses in goalkeeping, we werent that far off for most of the game.

Add in a new goalie, hope that Koscielny is/becomes a good defender and we would be in with a shout.

gun__1279631276_training20072010_21.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

L'prof wrote: »
    Provided Eduardo has left of course
    Well he's not in the squad for Austria so I'd assume the talk that he's going is accurate. Simpson likewise which I thnk is the right call.

Interestingly, no place for Barazite either, who I don't think was injured the other day - has Wenger lost faith in him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gun__1279631276_training20072010_21.jpg
    Yes, I heard Caster Semenya was running again...

Barca have improved on their squad of last season while we have stayed the same/weakened slightly imo, drawing Barca again would mean another exit.

I'm a huge advocate for the underdog Fris that's all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Roaster wrote: »
    Nope, his wife is a northern lass, a very rich northern lass, so I'd say he's going to Sunderland.

Yep there we go so, sol's a gonner. Damn it, why couldnt those gay rumors be true after all :mad:

Seems like Eduardo is on his way out, just seen that Sky Sports are running the story

What a hero Eboué is. :)

• Advertisement

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6271263,00.html

This mystery club us maybe? I know Grimandi said in January how highly Arsenal think of him

Do we really need him? We've plenty of strikers.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6271263,00.html

This mystery club us maybe? I know Grimandi said in January how highly Arsenal think of him

Do we really need more attackers though?

I think we should concentrate on building at the back this year tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

cson wrote: »
    What a hero Eboué is. :)

That's why I named my FF team "Eboue!" this year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Do we really need him? We've plenty of strikers.

You definately need cover there at least. Remember what happened last season when RVP got injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

nuxxx wrote: »
    You definately need cover there at least. Remember what happened last season when RVP got injured!

That's why Wenger got Chamakh.

nuxxx wrote: »

We have Bendtner, Chamakh and Vela to cover there.

Last season RVP, Bendtner and Eduardo were all injured at the same time. Having said that I can't understand why we don't sell Vela, there were times last season when he was the only fit forward at the club and he couldn't even make an appearance off the bench. If Wenger doesn't think he's up to it when every single person he's in competition with for a starting spot is injured what's the point in holding onto him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Originally Posted by Roaster
    Nope, his wife is a northern lass, a very rich northern lass, so I'd say he's going to Sunderland.

His wife is from Newcastle, daughter of a very rich property developer IIRC.
    I'd say he'd go to the Toon before S'Land tbh.
    However, I heard something frightening today - we are actually considering giving you money for Campbell :O

We have Bendtner, Chamakh and Vela to cover there.

Last season RVP, Bendtner and Eduardo were all injured at the same time. Having said that I can't understand why we don't sell Vela, there were times last season when he was the only fit forward at the club and he couldn't even make an appearance off the bench. If Wenger doesn't think he's up to it when every single person he's in competition with for a starting spot is injured what's the point in holding onto him?

On this, I'm not sure he was fit either during this time. Like when we had Arshavin playing up there against Stoke at home, Hull at home, Pool away was he not injured too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Vela spent much of last season injured too. We just didn't hear about it as much because it wasn't big news since he hadn't been in the 1st team much prior to that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement