Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

He also forgot his passport when he was fit. Massive FAIL there!!

I still want to see him make the break through this season though. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

No WC qualification should make a big difference for Vela too.

Not flying to Jamaica, Costa Rica, etc. every month can only help so hopefully we'll see him contribute a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Doocey wrote: »
    His wife is from Newcastle, daughter of a very rich property developer IIRC.
    I'd say he'd go to the Toon before S'Land tbh.
    However, I heard something frightening today - we are actually considering giving you money for Campbell :O
    as a charitable donation?

He's on a bosman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

That's what I thought, but I read something about is actually buying him off you!
    Maybe I read it ridiculously wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Doocey wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but I read something about is actually buying him off you!
    Maybe I read it ridiculously wrong.

tnh i wouldnt put it past the toon paying for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"We spent 4 million on Campbell, all of it profit!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Frisbee wrote: »
    Trying to decide atm.

Heathrow is obviously closer and handier for the tube.

But Gatwick is cheaper on ryanair atm for the 31st :pac:

Stanted is the cheapest to fly to and then get the stansted express to Liverpool st right in the heart of London then you're at a tube station to go wherever you want. I always do it that way with my bro, weve been like4 times and it hasnt cost us an arm and a leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gibson wrote: »
    Stanted is the cheapest to fly to and then get the stansted express to Liverpool st right in the heart of London then you're at a tube station to go wherever you want. I always do it that way with my bro, weve been like4 times and it hasnt cost us an arm and a leg

Both Luton and Stanstead are approx 45mins from Zone 1 of the Underground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

greendom wrote: »
    Both Luton and Stanstead are approx 45mins from Zone 1 of the Underground

ah right my mistake didnt realise Luton was as close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

gibson wrote: »

Or if you're going straight to Finsbury Park or Islington/Holloway you can hop off the Stansted Express at T*******m Hale and catch a Victoria line Train to Finsbury Park or Highbury & Islington.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Well if he's a free, obviously they won't. :rolleyes:

Very different Newcastle now lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Its like the Barca squad line up to give Fabregas quotes one day after the next. Clubs seem to get their players to do the poaching for them these days. I have no time for any of those that have spoken out.
    Xavi exclusively told the Daily Express: “We know where Cesc wants to be this coming season, but perhaps there is not enough time for Barcelona and Arsenal to agree a deal.

“Arsenal need to understand they are only delaying the inevitable. If we don’t manage to get his signature this season then Arsenal only really have him on loan for a year – because there is nothing they can do to stop him joining next summer.”

Xavi and the rest of Spain’s Barcelona-dominated World Cup winners got the inside view of Fabregas’s situation during the tournament. Xavi is convinced Fabregas will link up with his boyhood club sooner or later.

“His [Fabregas’s] people will have a whole season to sort out the deal between the two clubs and it will happen at the very latest next summer,” he said.

“I haven’t given up on him joining us this season but, if he doesn’t, it won’t be more than a year before he is back home.
    “We were all with him for five weeks in South Africa and we know he wants to be at Barcelona, he made it very clear.

“But he will under no circumstances do anything that will upset the Arsenal fans. And that’s probably why we are going to have to wait for him for another year.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/188221/Cesc-Fabregas-is-only-on-loan-Xavi-warns-Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Every comment released by Barca and it's is making them look more and more pathetic, they're like spoiled brats having a tantrum and making sure everyone knows about it because they're not getting things their way.

Sturm Graz tonight isn't it? Should be a decent run out for the younger lads. Really hoping Wilshere can impress in pre-season and put himself in contention for 10-15 league appearances this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I dont think theyd hammer us to be fair. Bar a few lapses in goalkeeping, we werent that far off for most of the game.

Here, hate Barca all you want, gunners have every right to despise us at the moment. If it was any other team I'd be right there moaning at the retarded antics too. But I'm sorry, at the Emirates last season, I've never in about 15 years seen Arsenal look so inept. It sounds ridiculous considering the game ended 2-2, but Barca shat all over you. It was one of the most dominating 90 minutes I've ever witnessed in a CL KO game. And that's putting aside any bias (I thought Barca were much much worse in the 2nd leg, despite scoring 4 goals.) Over the two legs I think Barca confidently displayed how superior they are at that certain brand of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Sorry Carlos...Xavi has taken your spot as most hated footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

"Arsenal need to understand they are only delaying the inevitable. If we don’t manage to get his signature this season then Arsenal only really have him on loan for a year – because there is nothing they can do to stop him joining next summer.” - Xavi

Ehhhh his contact with Arsenal might you tool. Xavi gone from hero to zero in my books, someone should give Barca a serious rap on the hairy knuckles for tapping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

"Arsenal only really have him on loan for a year"

That part is particularly arrogant, obnoxious and downright cúntish. I really have never hated any football club as much as I do Barca right now. Complete lack of class. I will support Cesc as much as I ever did until the day he leaves, but after that I couldn't give a shíte about him. If he wants to go off and play with that pack of cúnts then good luck to him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eZe^ wrote: »
    Here, hate Barca all you want, gunners have every right to despise us at the moment. If it was any other team I'd be right there moaning at the retarded antics too. But I'm sorry, at the Emirates last season, I've never in about 15 years seen Arsenal look so inept. It sounds ridiculous considering the game ended 2-2, but Barca shat all over you. It was one of the most dominating 90 minutes I've ever witnessed in a CL KO game. And that's putting aside any bias (I thought Barca were much much worse in the 2nd leg, despite scoring 4 goals.) Over the two legs I think Barca confidently displayed how superior they are at that certain brand of football.
    While I'd say that Arsenal didn't really give a proper account of their 'brand' of football, your description of the match is appropriate and Barca are indeed miles ahead. Though that's not a disgrace, they're one of the best teams in recent memory. Hoping for a rematch with them is like a 5'7" computer geek demanding, in a blind rage, a 2nd fight a month after a 6'6" UFC cage fighter puts him in hospital and steals his girlfriend. Admirable sentiment but not very wise.

I probably would have done the disagreeing for you eZe had I noticed the post. The Barca references must have made me go all Wenger on it :p

Regarding the latest comments by Barca's gerbil; how foolish of me to have hoped that the recent comments by Rosell and Wenger indicated an end to the stories for the summer. The sheer consistency of the comments indicate a very clear and deliberate plan to destabilise the club. Whether it's someone at Barca orchestrating it or a delighted media with very willing Barca patsies, it's ****ing infuriating.

SHUT THE **** UP, XAVI/PUYOL/INIESTA/PIQUE (AND STOP ACTING LIKE A **** WHILE YOU'RE AT IT)/BUSQUETS/MESSI. ALSO JEFFREN, WHERE ARE YOU IN ALL THIS??? :p

ps Xavi, I think you'll find Cesc will still be contracted next summer too. Get your employers to stop being disrespectful cheapskates or we'll have him 'on loan' until he's 28, then you can have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hmm, I think we need Valdes' opinion now on this, get everyone on the teams 2 cents!:pac:

Does anyone know when Cesc and Van Persie are due to join back up with the squad?

Maybe once that happens all this sh*te will subside and we can focus on the new season!

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hmm, I think we need Valdes' opinion now on this, get everyone on the teams 2 cents!:pac:
    He's afraid of Cesc coming and taking his place in the team.
    Paleface wrote:
    Does anyone know when Cesc and Van Persie are due to join back up with the squad?

Maybe once that happens all this sh*te will subside and we can focus on the new season!
    Ah, I admire your optimism... I was like you once.

I'm all for keeping Cesc even if he doesn't want to stay and letting him go on a free when his contract runs out is 5 years at this stage.

If he gets the hump bung him in the reserves until he realises he has to respect his contract.

Then wait for Barca to find some sneaky way of financing him with the money to buy out the remainder of his contract.

Have Arsene's legal eagles pounce on it, drag Barca's name through the mud in front of a UEFA/FIFA Arbitration hearing receive a hefty fine and some sort of other punishment.

Let everyone see how they ceratinly are 'more than a club', they're also a pack of arrogant jumped up little spoiled brats with superiority complexes.

Jod done.

Chances? :pac:

I'm all for keeping Cesc even if he doesn't want to stay and letting him go on a free when his contract runs out is 5 years at this stage.

If he gets the hump bung him in the reserves until he realises he has to respect his contract.

Then wait for Barca to find some sneaky way of financing him with the money to buy out the remainder of his contract.

Have Arsene's legal eagles pounce on it, drag Barca's name through the mud in front of a UEFA/FIFA Arbitration hearing receive a hefty fine and some sort of other punishment.

Let everyone see how they ceratinly are 'more than a club', they're also a pack of arrogant jumped up little spoiled brats with superiority complexes.

Jod done.

Similar thing on my twitter this morning simply because Xavi won't be around to play with cesc in 5 years time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Really, really hoping José cleans house in Spain next season now. And I don't like the guy one bit but I'd love to see it happen to Barcelona now.

And eZe are you really trying to defend what Barcelona are doing based on how ****e we were against them in the Champions League - 'I'd be angry too if I was an Arsenal fan but you're **** so deal with it' type of thing? Do you actually condone how Barcelona have conducted themselves based on the previous?

cson wrote: »
    And eZe are you really trying to defend what Barcelona are doing based on how ****e we were against them in the Champions League - 'I'd be angry too if I was an Arsenal fan but you're **** so deal with it' type of thing? Do you actually condone how Barcelona have conducted themselves based on the previous?

He wasn't trying to defend Barca's actions at all.

He was countering the idiotic point someone made that the only reason Barca beat us in the CL last year was because of some dodgy goalkeeping errors.

Jod done.

I'm not sure how handing in an official transfer request changes that however, despite being contracted.

I mean look at how Man. United signed Berbatov! Fergie just threw a bag over his head at the airport and bundled him into a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah my bad; just popped in read the last page and completely missed the context of the post. :o

While I'd say that Arsenal didn't really give a proper account of their 'brand' of football, your description of the match is appropriate and Barca are indeed miles ahead. Though that's not a disgrace, they're one of the best teams in recent memory. Hoping for a rematch with them is like a 5'7" computer geek demanding, in a blind rage, a 2nd fight a month after a 6'6" UFC cage fighter puts him in hospital and steals his girlfriend. Admirable sentiment but not very wise.

I probably would have done the disagreeing for you eZe had I noticed the post

First off all i'm 5'9 and i dumped her :p

Secondly we learned this at MMA quite recently if you are hit when your expecting it it makes you mad. Hit when your not expecting it and you get stunned and often will fall over. I believe we were not expecting it and we became like frogs looking into a torch if you will which you brought up in saying we never got to play our brand of football.

I agree that we were destroyed by Barca and i don't know why anyone would try suggest otherwise. But to say we wouldn't be up for another match if the time came is a bit unfair on the squad of players we have because passion and desire are two of the biggest factors.

I just imagine Nasri in the dressing room and snapping and going out there and scoring goals like Porto.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    First off all i'm 5'9 and i dumped her :p

Secondly we learned this at MMA quite recently if you are hit when your expecting it it makes you mad. Hit when your not expecting it and you get stunned and often will fall over. I believe we were not expecting it and we became like frogs looking into a torch if you will which you brought up in saying we never got to play our brand of football.

I agree that we were destroyed by Barca and i don't know why anyone would try suggest otherwise. But to say we wouldn't be up for another match if the time came is a bit unfair on the squad of players we have because passion and desire are two of the biggest factors.

I just imagine Nasri in the dressing room and snapping and going out there and scoring goals like Porto.

I honestly think that's 2 of the biggest things Arsenal lack.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    I honestly think that's 2 of the biggest things Arsenal lack.

To an extent that's true, but these players have seen this story drag through the summer about THEIR club. If the Catalans pulling Cesc and his name out left right and center disrespecting the club hasn't got an effect on any of the players something is wrong.

The passion and desire to win something this season even if it is for their captains final swansong (If the reputable source of Xavi Hernandez is to be trusted ) at the club, should be at a high in this pre season camp.

Stick those quotes up on the wall of the dressing room before every match. Did you notice ( we should have just tried to beat them ) how Evra got kicked about the place after his comments about Arsenal ?

SDTimeout wrote: »
    To an extent that's true, but these players have seen this story drag through the summer about THEIR club. If the Catalans pulling Cesc and his name out left right and center disrespecting the club hasn't got an effect on any of the players something is wrong.

The passion and desire to win something this season even if it is for their captains final swansong (If the reputable source of Xavi Hernandez is to be trusted ) at the club, should be at a high in this pre season camp.

Stick those quotes up on the wall of the dressing room before every match. Did you notice ( we should have just tried to beat them ) how Evra got kicked about the place after his comments about Arsenal ?

I think the situation with Cesc has got where it is perhaps due to the lack of fight and spirit from the players around him, causing him to be disillusioned.

The likes of Sol seemed to bring some of fire and will to win back, but most of players don't seem to really want it so bad.

As regards Evra, there's a difference between kicking someone and using what they say as a source of inspiration to actually just win the game. I don't think that's passion really, just pettiness.

They need to find fight and spirit from each other and a will to win, not from people saying things in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

"Arsenal only really have him on loan for a year"

That part is particularly arrogant, obnoxious and downright cúntish. I really have never hated any football club as much as I do Barca right now. Complete lack of class. I will support Cesc as much as I ever did until the day he leaves, but after that I couldn't give a shíte about him. If he wants to go off and play with that pack of cúnts then good luck to him.

I read this article on the net and I just came into the thread to say the same thing.

Do Barcelona realise that these sort of comments from their players arent helping and actually paint their club in a bad light.

I hope Fabregas stays at Arsenal on principle that clubs shouldnt act like the way Barcelona are currently acting when they cant get the players they promised their fans.

That 'on loan' jibe actually makes my blood boil a little and if I was a Gunner supporter, I'd be foaming at the mouth over it.

I hope you keep him or get that £60M yer looking for, I suppose its a handy loan fee :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

eZe^ wrote: »

All that really matters is that Barca went through and deservedly so, the rest is filler for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Dempsey wrote: »
    Do Barcelona realise that these sort of comments from their players arent helping and actually paint their club in bad light.

Careful or the sprinklers will go on again.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I hope Fabregas stays at Arsenal on principle that clubs shouldnt act like the way Barcelona are currently acting
    Eh? While I admire the way Cesc has stayed fairly quiet throughout all of this (as opposed to Adebayor/Hleb/etc.), it's clear he wants to go.

I've no idea how he feels about the way Barca are going about it but in the Cesc-Barcelona relationship, they've got almost all of the power because (1) he's extremely keen to join them and (2) they can do fine without him if it doesn't happen. So while I think it's poor form from them for making it potentially awkward for Cesc with Arsenal, the fans, etc. if he ends up staying for any amount of time, I don't think they really care and I'm not sure he can afford to kick up too much of a fuss.

• Advertisement

Also, Young Guns reporting we're going to take what seems to be the world's smallest professional footballer on trial from DC United later this year:

Andy-Najar.jpg

He'll make Arshavin look massive!

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Also, Young Guns reporting we're going to take what seems to be the world's smallest professional footballer on trial from DC United later this year:

Andy-Najar.jpg

He'll make Arshavin look massive!

That half an inch makes all the difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

How will he cope with the physical demands of the PL :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Eh? While I admire the way Cesc has stayed fairly quiet throughout all of this (as opposed to Adebayor/Hleb/etc.), it's clear he wants to go.

I've no idea how he feels about the way Barca are going about it but in the Cesc-Barcelona relationship, they've got almost all of the power because (1) he's extremely keen to join them and (2) they can do fine without him if it doesn't happen. So while I think it's poor form from them for making it potentially awkward for Cesc with Arsenal, the fans, etc. if he ends up staying for any amount of time, I don't think they really care and I'm not sure he can afford to kick up too much of a fuss.

I dont buy that at all

He signed a 8 year contract with Arsenal, all the power is with Arsenal and he wouldnt have signed it if he wasnt prepared to see it out. If he did then he's an idiot.

Any awkwardness between club/fans and himself is because of Barcelona and their propaganda. If he wanted to leave, he'd have handed in a transfer request and forced the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Whilst I did like Barca for the football they have been playing over the last few years and the fact that their sponsor was unicef which I thought was a nice move, my liking for them has dropped since their attitude with the sprinklers when they lost against Inter Milan at the end of the game which I thought was bad form and now especially with the way they're going about their business to get Cesc has really turned me off them. They're acting exactly like Real Madrid would and it's not good at all for their image but I'm not sure they care much for their image anymore anyway and simply feel they have the right to act in anyway they see fit which is a shame for football.

• Advertisement

Smegball wrote: »
    He'll invent a new type of nutmeg: kick the ball through the defender's legs and then run through himself.

Think of how awesome he'd be at set pieces... Vermaelen could throw him at the ball like the olympic discus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

What do ppl make of the links with Pape Diakhate? It is just me or is there something strange about how old he is and fact he is on loan at a midtable french club? If he is good why is he not starting for Kiev?

He'll invent a new type of nutmeg: kick the ball through the defender's legs and then run through himself.

Think of how awesome he'd be at set pieces... Vermaelen could throw him at the ball like the olympic discus.

I laughed so hard, I just pooped a little bit!

Smegball wrote: »

He won't like going to Wigan on a cold Tuesday in December.

And he won't like it up 'em.

Ed to Ukraine done. Ye done well to get that sort of cash for him anyway, despite what he intially cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

http://arsenalaction.com/2010/07/21/photos-eduardo-signs-for-shakhtar/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=photos-eduardo-signs-for-shakhtar

Sad to see. I get a "If Only" feeling when I think of what he could have done for The Arsenal. All the best in the future dudu

All the best to him for the future!!

Delighted to see him picked up by a club where he will get first team action, I wish him all the best in the future and really wish he could have regained form/fitness at Arsenal.

The video is pretty cool too:

Team for Graz:

Fabianski
    Nordveit Djourou Vermalen Traore
    Nasri Frimpong Wilshere
    Walcott Chamakh Arshavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Team for Graz:

Fabianski
    Nordveit Djourou Vermalen Traore
    Nasri Frimpong Wilshere