Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Usmanov is a scumbag and should be nowhere near the club. Dein likely prevented himself from ever coming back when he sold his shares to him and sided with him. We also have a new CEO now anyway.

In your opinion. There is nothing to distinguish Usmanov from Kroenke except the fact the board clearly are in bed with the American as they'll get what they want.

HW doesnt like Dein, but Dein done more for this club then him or any of them. No coincidence since he left we had such a downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Frisbee wrote: »
    I knew Agger and Kelly were out but not Johnson. Could be a high scorer!

Agger and Kelly are the big losses for the Arsenal game, hell for every game until the end of the season including tonight's game against City, but Johnson may be out for the rest of the season as well.

Gerrard will miss the Arsenal game, and there will be a number of players who will be facing fitness tests for the trip to London, assuming we don't get fresh injuries tonight against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DB10 wrote: »
    In your opinion. There is nothing to distinguish Usmanov from Kroenke except the fact the board clearly are in bed with the American as they'll get what they want.

HW doesnt like Dein, but Dein done more for this club then him or any of them. No coincidence since he left we had such a downfall.

The lull started before Dein left, but somehow him leaving triggered it? Confusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Looking forward to Sunday can't say I'm too confident. If the game was played in November I would have expected a win. But with Carroll to exploit our main weakness and Suarez looking sharp (is he injured?) it's going to be close. 3 points would be huge.

Really looking forward to Sunday. Imagine Liverpool wil be very up for it, they've underachieved this season but the scalps of Man Utd and Chelsea taken recently will have meant a lot to the players and fans alike and they won't see this game as dead wood. Very glad we're not playing them in Anfield though and if everyone's fit and somehow no-one incurs injuries during training or warm-ups, we should really have a lot for Liverpool to deal with.

From what's been said, I get the sense that a lot of the talking done behind closed doors last week focused on how the fans of the club have been let down by this team. The title isn't going to happen at this stage but we deserve a team that's going to give 100% against Liverpool and Tottenham in the next two games and I've a feeling we'll get that. God knows what the results will be because Liverpool and Spurs will go for it too but with a fit Walcott and Cesc back, I'm hopeful enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

gosplan wrote: »
    Really looking forward to Sunday. Imagine Liverpool wil be very up for it, they've underachieved this season but the scalps of Man Utd and Chelsea taken recently will have meant a lot to the players and fans alike and they won't see this game as dead wood. Very glad we're not playing them in Anfield though and if everyone's fit and somehow no-one incurs injuries during training or warm-ups, we should really have a lot for Liverpool to deal with.

From what's been said, I get the sense that a lot of the talking done behind closed doors last week focused on how the fans of the club have been let down by this team. The title isn't going to happen at this stage but we deserve a team that's going to give 100% against Liverpool and Tottenham in the next two games and I've a feeling we'll get that. God knows what the results will be because Liverpool and Spurs will go for it too but with a fit Walcott and Cesc back, I'm hopeful enough.

Massive week for the city of Liverpool to be honest. Friday is the 22nd anniversary of Hillsborough, and the memorial is being held that day. Come Sunday there will be a lot of raw emotion floating about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wasn't there rumours that Djourou could be back for the Liverpool match? If he were to make it it'd be a great boost, especially going up against Carroll.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yes, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

From Twitter:
    The Guardian suggests Stan Kroenke's first move as Arsenal owner would be to buy the club out of the sponsorship deal with Emirates.
    The £5.5m-a-year shirt sponsorship deal is below market value, and with Kroenke's solid contacts, he could easily negotiate a better deal.

I'd be delighted if that was true tbh.

L'prof wrote: »
    The lull started before Dein left, but somehow him leaving triggered it? Confusing!

Dont put words in my mouth

I never said it triggered it but clearly it didnt help matters did it, especially with someone as close as that who obviously questioned Wenger on occasions leaving the club.

Will be 7 years from a trophy soon and 8 from we won a league title. That isn't good enough, no matter how you phrase it.

So to say we will be continuing with this warped youth project is not everyones idea of happy days.

Mr Usmanov does not have any criminal record.

Some random internet blogger doesn't change much. If you believe everything you see on the internet, then I would say you are quite gullible.

I'd trust David Dein before I would trust Mr X the blogging whistleblower.

• Advertisement

From Twitter:

Interesting. I wonder what this would mean for the stadium naming rights.

Interesting. I wonder what this would mean for the stadium naming rights.

Nothing apparently, they're an entirely seperate entity so even if we go with someone else's name on the shirts the stadium will continue to be The Emirates.

Dont put words in my mouth

I never said it triggered it but clearly it didnt help matters did it, especially with someone as close as that who obviously questioned Wenger on occasions leaving the club.

Will be 7 years from a trophy soon and 8 from we won a league title. That isn't good enough, no matter how you phrase it.

So to say we will be continuing with this warped youth project is not everyones idea of happy days.

I didn't ut any words in your mouth, it's what you were implying when you said "No coincidence since he left we had such a downfall."!

I'd like to see Dein come back too by the way. I'm unsure of what to make of this takeover, but either way it's going to happen and I'm delighted that it's Kroenke and not Usmanov that's making his move!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/15/stan-kroenke-arsenal-shares

I dont know much about in depth finance so I wont comment. But I was shown this interesting link.

Nothing apparently, they're an entirely seperate entity so even if we go with someone else's name on the shirts the stadium will continue to be The Emirates.
    Ah shame, wouldnt mind a better home name tbh.

In 2017 the rights are up though for the naming, hard to know what that will mean...:confused:

Mr Usmanov does not have any criminal record.

Some random internet blogger doesn't change much. If you believe everything you see on the internet, then I would say you are quite gullible.

I'd trust David Dein before I would trust Mr X the blogging whistleblower.
    Craig Murray isn't a random blogger, he's the former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan.

What makes David Dein more trustworthy? He did well by your ****ing football club? Now that is gullible. Do you really think that there is an honest and real legal system in places like Uzbekistan, that would apply to an oligarch?

In 2007, Usmanov's lawyers targeted the webhosts of Murray and any Arsenal fan who re-posted the above link. They went after the webhosts because a) the webhosts would have no appetite for a court battle, and would take the sites in question down, and b) Usmanov has no interest in seeing his dirty laundry aired in court. Murray has a book published on this; it's been out for several years and though he has invited Usmanov to sue him for libel, he hasn't.

My main worry, is that it's all well and good for Kroenke to say that this isn't going to be a leveraged buy-out, but there would be nothing stopping him from taking £15-25 million each year from the club for himself. This wouldn't benefit the club in any way. It gives the impression that Kroenke will be happy for us to plod along as we are, happy with 4th every year, if he can increase our commerical revenues in the States and the Far East. I could be wrong of course, but at the moment I'm sceptical, because at the end of the day, this is an investment and he wants a return on that investment.

It gives the impression that Kroenke will be happy for us to plod along as we are, happy with 4th every year, if he can increase our commerical revenues in the States and the Far East.

While marketability should always come second to success on the pitch (infact success on the pitch will breed marketability) if he can increase commercial revenue that would be a huge boost and something we are sorely lacking.

Kroenke knows how to grow a franchise, and if he can do that at Arsenal while introducing the cash that will cause Wenger to spend without over extending us then I don't doubt we will have success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Kess73 wrote: »
    Massive week for the city of Liverpool to be honest. Friday is the 22nd anniversary of Hillsborough, and the memorial is being held that day. Come Sunday there will be a lot of raw emotion floating about.

Hopefully the occasion will overwhelm them, like when Man U commemorated the Munich disaster with those once off shirts. There was so much attention paid to the anniversary that they forgot to beat City.

So... I go away for the weekend and now Lehmann is back playing for us and we are being taken over.

• Advertisement

Finally, some Goals

van Persie 16
    Nasri 14
    Chamakh 11
    Walcott 11
    Arshavin 10
    Bendtner 9
    Fabregas 9
    Song 5
    Koscielny 3
    Vela 3
    Diaby 2
    Sagna 2
    Squillaci 2
    Wilshere 2
    Eboue 1
    Clichy 1
    Djourou 1
    Lansbury 1
    Rosicky 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The most important thing is to make sure we don't have any more debt put on us and also that he is willing to put some money into the transfer budget. Its important if he does take over as the new owner, he will at least put some money into the team.

Get his wife involved too. Wal-Mart and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I definitley think this is a good thing with this takeover.I hope to god he gives wenger some money to buy a decent GK and and a few decent defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Why do people keep asking for a new goalkeeper. Ches is one of the best in the premiership already imo and will become absolutely world class over the next few years. Do people want a new keeper to play number 1 ahead of woj? If we brought in a new number 1 I think he'd be on his way elsewhere and we'd regret it. I'm not the biggest fan of bringing young players straight into the first team, we've seen some players take a long time to develop, but like in the case of Wilshere, I think Chesney is well capable of doing a perfectly fine job as number 1 while he develops into a better keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

Stan Kroenke has passed the 30% needed to mount takeover bid. He has increased his share from 29.9% to 63% this morn and is tryin to buy usmanov's 27ish % share

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

bergkamp10 wrote: »
    Stan Kroenke has passed the 30% needed to mount takeover bid. He has increased his share from 29.9% to 63% this morn and is tryin to buy usmanov's 27ish % share

...we know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bergkamp10

No sooner have i posted, just heard the deal's done. Stan Kroenke has agreed a £738m total takeover of Arsenal

From what I can tell, Kroenke doesn't pump money into clubs the way someone like Anramovic would. Kroenke seems to make the club more money by getting better sponsorship deals and through better marketing.
    If that is the case I'm very cool with that. I don't want a sugar daddy for my club, however, our merchandising is pathetic (I was shocked to discover recently that we don't even run our own mechandise store ourselves, losing millions every year because of it). Plus our kit sponsorship deal is patheticaly low compared to what clubs of similar stature are getting.
    If Kroenke can help Arsenal become a global brand and help us make more money to invest naturally then I for one welcome our new American overlord.

Notice how Arsenal's new crest is red, white n' blue....

Galvasean wrote: »
    Notice how Arsenal's new crest is red, white n' blue....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDdTo03du0X8_w3O50vi4KIObglTga1pj2j8VhSUPJ5TD_9JwwQQ&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Each star for every year Wenger's Arsenal fail to win a trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

looks like we'll need a bigger crest soon if thats the case

Jens Lehmann was both Arsenal’s goalkeeper and an on-pitch ‘assistant manager’ against Blackpool on Sunday, according to Jack Wilshere.

The 41-year-old German was drafted in just before kick-off at Bloomfield Road after Manuel Almunia injured his knee in the warm-up.

Within a minute of the first whistle, Lehmann was barking instructions at his defence. And, in his first major game since retiring last May, he also chipped in with his views at half-time. For Wilshere, the keeper was trying to rekindle the spirit of the 2004 Arsenal side that won Premier League title with an unblemished record.

“He was brilliant,” said the 19-year-old. “He was only called in ten minutes before kick-off but it was great to have him around.

“He’s been there, done it all and was part of the ‘Invincibles’ so he knows what it takes to win the title. And we want to be like the ‘Invincibles’ too.

“He was a bit like an assistant manager on the pitch. He was telling us what it is like and was giving a team-talk at half time.

“He is so passionate, you could see that. He was screaming and shouting at everyone.

“I remember him being a bit crazy and a bit of a character before. But he looks after himself and is great to learn from. He’s 41 and he’s got a better body than me!”
    http://www.arsenal.com/usa/sh/news/news-archive/-he-was-like-an-on-pitch-assistant-manager-

Great to hear. Ata boy Jens!

sad that our young players are so used to playing without a natural leader that they mistake what is essentially a 'captain' for an 'assistant manager'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Seems fairly certain now Dein isn't coming back now that Hill Wood is remaining as chairman. The youth project will be continued and there will be no pressure on wonderful Wenger.

Also fallen into the hole of foreign ownership now as well. I'm sure Kroenke knows all about the tradition of the club all right, the club accounts more like.

Surprised there is no opposition to this move then again our supporters arent as vocal as most other clubs.

Most people on here read arseblog, do you ?

" As well as talking about Kroenke:
    Mr Kroenke, although relatively new to Arsenal, has shown himself to be a man who values and respects the history and traditions of this very special Club that we cherish. We are confident that he will be a safe custodian of its future.
    While Arsene Wenger said:
    I have worked with Stan Kroenke at board meetings over the past couple of years and I believe he has the best interests of Arsenal at heart. He understands the Club’s heritage and traditions and our ambition to run the Club in a way which protects our long term future. "

Kroenke for me while i had adopted the lesser of two evils approach. I am going to welcome him in, simply because he isn't leveraging debt onto us in the first place. He already is involed in sports, you could argue has paved the way for Ivan Gadiz to settle in his role. He has been invested in the club since september 2007 and has taken a very quiet approach.

The reason he didn't speak at the last AGM was because if a question had come to him about share intentions and he answered. He would not have been allowed make a bid for shares for 6 months as per Arsenal rules.

He also is getting the shares cheaper as if he was to make a takeover bid he would have to pay the rest of them at the HIGHEST price he had bought for shares over the past 12 months. It's a shame that Danny is in poor health but i am breathing a huge sigh of relief that Nina Bracewell Smith has sold her shares to him. Considering how she was ousted as the board many expected her to sell to Usmanov.

Also, Dein brought Kroenke into Arsenal, then sold his shares to Usmanov. Could he have done this to make Kroenke seem like the more reasonable investor ? Who knows, i have a feeling David will be back at the club sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Kroenke for me while i had adopted the lesser of two evils approach. I am going to welcome him in, simply because he isn't leveraging debt onto us in the first place.
    But see this is the logic I don't get. The club as it was being run wasn't burdened with heavy interest payments so why should we welcome something that's just the same? I'm not naive enough to think that Fizsman and NBS were just going to sit on their shareholding forever - Kroenke's move has been well-trailed and very well stage-managed - but I don't have to be happy about it. I'll wait till I see him improving something before welcoming it.
    He also is getting the shares cheaper as if he was to make a takeover bid he would have to pay the rest of them at the HIGHEST price he had bought for shares over the past 12 months.
    Just as a side note, I think the last few tranches of shares he got were all at £8,500. It was Usmanov that seemed to have to pay a higher price at different points but Kroenke was paying 8.5k each since mid-2009. That always looked like part of why he was waiting (to let the more expensive shares he'd bought 'expire') but Fizsman and Bracewell-Smith have pushed up the price for the entire thing with this deal. So in fairness to him, I'm not sure anyone can say he's getting anything cheap.

My hope would be that the long lead-in (this was always likely once the lockdown agreement was turned into a joke by involving Kroenke in it) means that behind the scenes, little will change. Not because Kroenke respects the way things have been done, etc. but because he's already had a huge influence in the last few years in setting up for this. Gazidis and the other US people already involved have been working with him for a while and there's been an increased focus on commercial revenue, etc. in recent financial reports. I'd say most changes that we might see already have roots planted a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

From Twitter:

Considering Arsenal could get in the region of 3 to 4 times more for the major sponsorship deals, it would be very welcome. I don't think it's likely though, considering the reserves at the club, you'd have thought they'd have done it already. I'd have thought given the front loaded nature of the contracts that the sponsors would have written fairly hefty termination clauses into the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Considering Arsenal could get in the region of 3 to 4 times more for the major sponsorship deals, it would be very welcome. I don't think it's likely though, considering the reserves at the club, you'd have thought they'd have done it already. I'd have thought given the front loaded nature of the contracts that the sponsors would have written fairly hefty termination clauses into the contract.
    I'd tend to agree - but the termination clauses may reduce after X number of years or whatever either. Likewise, they may have looked at it but held it back as an early 'Kroenke win'.

Either way, whatever happens, I'd tend to assume that it would have happened anyway. And if there's an improvement in that side of our operations, great. The old deals (like Highbury Square) will have done their job in helping to finance the stadium and the new ones (like the outstanding property deals) can help to lay a real platform for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    But see this is the logic I don't get. The club as it was being run wasn't burdened with heavy interest payments so why should we welcome something that's just the same? I'm not naive enough to think that Fizsman and NBS were just going to sit on their shareholding forever - Kroenke's move has been well-trailed and very well stage-managed - but I don't have to be happy about it. I'll wait till I see him improving something before welcoming it.

Just as a side note, I think the last few tranches of shares he got were all at £8,500. It was Usmanov that seemed to have to pay a higher price at different points but Kroenke was paying 8.5k each since mid-2009. That always looked like part of why he was waiting (to let the more expensive shares he'd bought 'expire') but Fizsman and Bracewell-Smith have pushed up the price for the entire thing with this deal. So in fairness to him, I'm not sure anyone can say he's getting anything cheap.

My hope would be that the long lead-in (this was always likely once the lockdown agreement was turned into a joke by involving Kroenke in it) means that behind the scenes, little will change. Not because Kroenke respects the way things have been done, etc. but because he's already had a huge influence in the last few years in setting up for this. Gazidis and the other US people already involved have been working with him for a while and there's been an increased focus on commercial revenue, etc. in recent financial reports. I'd say most changes that we might see already have roots planted a long time ago.

I agree with almost everything you say, the roots of Kroenke's movements have been there for a long time and the introduction of Ivan was one of the first things.

From the limited things that have been coming out this seemed to have been sped up due to Fizsman's illness which is a terrible situation to begin with.

Kroenke took over Colorado Rapids and built over 25 youth pitches surrounding the complex. I know that's a side thing, but he was in war with the WWE last year over the Denver Nuggets stadium. The man really does seem like he gets involved in things if he sees potential and money to be made and the firm expanded. As Frisbee mentioned if his first action is to be getting us a new sponsorship deal then that's great. I think with Stan's influence our outstanding stadium debt will be wiped out a lot quicker. That's just me and always i am very optimistic. I don't see this being hostile , cynical or that of a Roman Abrov style take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No!!!!!!!!:eek::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

It seems that Alisher Usmanov has made a bid for Arsenal himself.................. well he's actually made two bids :(

http://blogs.news.sky.com/kleinman/Post:b89be6c2-05a3-47fd-b8e8-7ffde76419ef?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Hopefully this is true
    GoonerTalk Gooner Chris
    Szczesny & Djourou both training ahead of Sunday's match against Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

that is sick :cool:
    is that gonna be the new arsenal emblem :)

OPENROAD wrote: »

For those on phones:

What does the Kroenke deal mean for Arsenal?
    Will the club be debt-laden, will Wenger stay, will there be cash to spend and will Dein return? Mark Fleming answers the questions

American billionaire Stan Kroenke yesterday took control of Arsenal, buying 62.89 per cent of the club after securing a deal to purchase the shares of Danny Fiszman (17 per cent) and Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith (16 per cent). He now needs to try to buy the remaining shares, owned by Russian steel magnate Alisher Usmanov, who maintains a 27 per cent stake through his Red and White Holdings.

Kroenke, who has been a shareholder for four years, underlined his support for Arsène Wenger yesterday and stated his intention to continue with the business model at the Emirates, but there remain questions over the future, immediate and long-term, of the club.

Q Will Kroenke be borrowing large amounts to buy the club and saddling it with a huge debt, like the Glazers at Manchester United?

A Arsenal say not. In their statement, in which they recommend that shareholders take up Kroenke's offer of £11,750 per share, the board said: "Kroenke Sports Enterprises [the purchasing vehicle] has stated that the offer will not be funded by debt finance secured against the club." Kroenke's deal values Arsenal at £731m, which means he has to find around £500m in cash if he is to buy up all the remaining shares. His fortune is estimated at £1.77bn, made through real estate and constructing shopping centres, and business developments, so he is not short of cash. His firm KSE own the St Louis Rams NFL team, NBA basketball franchise, the Denver Nuggets, the Colorado Avalanche NHL ice hockey team and Major League Soccer side the Colorado Rapids.

Q Will Usmanov now decide to sell his shares?

A Not just yet. He was reported yesterday to be furious that the other large shareholders were selling to Kroenke and was disappointed that the Arsenal board had recommended others did the same with their shares.

Q So how has Kroenke gone from the "wrong sort" to a "safe custodian"?

A When Kroenke first bought 9.9 per cent of the club in 2007, Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood said of 'Silent Stan': "Call me old-fashioned but we don't need his money and don't need his sort. He knows sweet FA about our football." Yesterday, Mr Hill-Wood said: "We are confident that he will be a safe custodian of its [Arsenal's] future," in reference to the man who has agreed to give him £4.7m for his 400 Arsenal shares.

Q Will the change of ownership make any real difference?

A Not too much on the face of it. Arsenal have effectively been in foreign hands for the past four years, and nothing drastic has happened. And Usmanov still owns 27 per cent of the club and as such can prevent any major structural changes to the company. However, Kroenke will have the power to appoint a new manager, or new directors, as he likes. In his other sporting clubs, Kroenke has been a supportive owner, so it is unlikely he will sack Wenger, bring in Jose Mourinho, and order a £200m splurge on new players. There will undoubtedly be changes. A more aggressive marketing strategy is likely, with a focus firmly on the Far East. Wenger has managed to resist the club's desire to tour Asia, but it is a losing battle and they are heading to Malaysia this summer, after a trip to Japan was cancelled following the tsunami. There will be money available to buy players, but that has been the case for years at Arsenal – it's just that Wenger refuses to spend it. Kroenke is well aware of the Arsenal way of nurturing young talent and is not expected to start changing the club's transfer policy.

Q So will he be able to end six years without a trophy?

A He certainly thinks so. Kroenke said yesterday: "Arsenal is a fantastic club with a special history and tradition and a wonderful manager in Arsène Wenger. We intend to build on this rich heritage and take the club to new success." But he is no Roman Abramovich – he is not about to plough his personal fortune into the club. His policy will be to allow Arsenal to continue to the self-sustaining strategy of the previous regime. Money, however, will be there for a couple of new players in the summer, and Kroenke does have an excellent record of delivering trophies in American sports.

Q Isn't Kroenke a close friend of former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein? Will Dein be returning to the board?

A Dein did indeed give Kroenke his backing in 2007, recommending a takeover of the club which resulted in Dein falling out with board members and losing his job. Although Dein later that year sold his 14.6 per cent stake of the club to Usmanov for £75m, he is still close to Kroenke and a return to The Emirates cannot be ruled out.

Kroenke's American teams

* St Louis Rams (acquired 40% in 1995) NFL Super Bowl champions for the first time in their history in 2000.

* Denver Nuggets (acquired outright in 2000) Spent $450m (£275m) on NBA team and their stadium, the Pepsi Center, but has had limited success.

* Colorado Avalanche (2000) Bought as part of the Nuggets deal. Won ice hockey's highest prize, the Stanley Cup, in Kroenke's first year of ownership.

* Colorado Rapids (acquired outright in 2004) Spent $131m (£80m) on a new football stadium in '07. Won the MLS Cup and MLS Eastern Conference in 2010.

* Colorado Mammoths (outright in 2004) NLL (lacrosse) champions in 2006.

Michael Butler

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Papa Smut wrote: »
    For those on phones:

You can get the internet on phones now :eek: time to upgrade my phone imo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Just on Arsenals shirt deal here are the current figures for the top 3:

Man U: AIG, £56.5m over four years.
    Chelsea: Samsung, £50m over 5 years
    Arsenal:Emirates, £6m-per-year

So we are way behind the other 2 teams and renegotiation if possible would seem to be an excellent idea for generating extra revenue.

Going through some of the Colorado Rapids forums to see what they think of Stan and in general I am seeing positive reactions, he puts in money when needed and is loyal.
    They also brought up an interesting point about changing the Rapids name to Arsenal Colorado, apparently this was stopped by Nike because Adidas have the rapids shirts. Our deal with Nike ends this year so watch this space..

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Just on Arsenals shirt deal here are the current figures for the top 3:

Man U: AIG, £14.1-per-year
    Chelsea: Samsung, £10m-per-year
    Arsenal:Emirates, £6m-per-year

So we are way behind the other 2 teams and renegotiation if possible would seem to be an excellent idea for generating extra revenue.

Going through some of the Colorado Rapids forums to see what they think of Stan and in general I am seeing positive reactions, he puts in money when needed and is loyal.
    They also brought up an interesting point about changing the Rapids name to Arsenal Colorado, apparently this was stopped by Nike because Adidas have the rapids shirts. Our deal with Nike ends this year so watch this space..

You're as bad as the tabloids!!! Very poor deal considering what our competitors are getting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

L'prof wrote: »
    You're as bad as the tabloids!!! Very poor deal considering what our competitors are getting though!

I for one promote the active use of division in an Arsenal fans daily life, an active brain is a healthy brain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's a broken link on the Arsenal page of Sky Sports website:

"Gianluigi Buffon's agent has attempted to play down fresh rumours regarding his client's future."

Did I miss something or is it just the normal 'any keeper in the frame' posting - think he's mid 30's ?

• Advertisement

Well we do need a backup for Woj and Luks...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement