Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

That's a bit mad alright, it will be interesting to see if it works well or not. Seems a bit too clear cut for me that you either have to be a youth or first teamer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »
    That's a bit mad alright, it will be interesting to see if it works well or not. Seems a bit too clear cut for me that you either have to be a youth or first teamer...

The problem is standards in the reserve leagues could be awful at times, it was far too easy for players to just get stuck in a rut really and not push on. I guess Wenger is looking at the likes of how Fabregas, Ramsey and Denilson were able to just push on and skip the whole reserve team period. Even more recently Eastmond has gone pretty much straight into the first team squad from the youth side, so i guess the reserve leagues have been slowly become redundant.

Not to mention you look abroad to the likes of the Bundesliga and Spain where reserve players compete in the lower leagues of the professional leagues and that seems to work pretty well for their youngsters.

Hopefully it will result in better players coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

When the revamp leaked though, it didn't seem to really be addressing the concerns of the clubs that there was too big a gap competition-wise between the Reserve League and the PL proper.

We've gradually moved towards loan spells anyway so I don't think there'll be too big a change in practice.

Re: Sol. Given how he seems to be making his decision (I agree he's waiting to see what the competition is), I always want him to up sticks after we sign an established CB. If nothing else, the last few months repaired his reputation a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

The reserve league really only served a valuable purpose for first team squad members to regain some match fitness before being thrust into the real thing.

I doubt the matches are very competitive and what is there to play for over the course of the season really?

The fact that other top clubs have also pulled out of it shows that they share the thinking going on here.

Saw this video on imscouting of the Algerian Halliche we've been linked a lot with in the past few days. Word of warning though, turn off sound, some awful 'tunes.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

First post in the new thread. :D

Really hope Sol stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Not to bothered with us dropping out of the reserve league. The U18s league is more competetive anyway. Plus if we need to organise 'fitness friendlies' then so be it.

Hope we keep Campbell. He'll be good back up and would save us signing another defender after K....y.

Some of the new training gear is very nice:
    http://onlinestore.arsenal.com/icat/niketraining

PLus the goalie kit is funky:
    http://onlinestore.arsenal.com/invt/h86827a&bklist=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

More rumours:
    Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is ready to test Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger with a £35m bid for Dutch striker Robin van Persie.

and
    Arsenal are tracking AS Monaco highly rated keeper Stephane Ruffier who has told his club that he wants to leave this summer. Juventus, Napoli and Bayern Munich are also reported to be interested in the 23-year-old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

City have signed Silva and Yaya so far. I really think it would have been better for them to get 4th. They're signing quality players even though they're not in the Champions League and now Spurs will have more cash to splash around too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

We were 3 pages off 600 last thread :(.

Anybody see the thing about MoN ? Calling for a winter break in the PL

I really think it would have been better for them to get 4th. They're signing quality players
    They are - but I think Champions League football this year would have pushed them into Torres territory, which is a whole other level.

You'd have to assume it's only delayed it by one season though. Having said that, I think they need to start cutting a few players loose to simplify things for themselves next year - training too many first-teamers (not to mention keeping them happy) must be an obstacle for any manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You're right, it has only delayed it by a season. City getting 4th last season would have made very little difference in the long run. Spurs getting 4th means they might be able to afford and attract the kind of players that will keep them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

We really do need to get the finger out and sign a quality keeper and 2 quality center backs.

Walcott desperate to stat fit
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6242107,00.html

What would anyones opinion be on him taken up a more central role?

• Advertisement

Marca saying Real Madrid are preparing a £35m bid for van Persie :eek: URL="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/02/2006010/real-madrid-ready-to-make-35m-offer-for-arsenal-forward"]link[/URL

Must be a smokescreen for something else.

There will be riots if that happens I can assure you.
    I will happily go out of my way to destroy Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

No way that's going to happen.

The Dutch are playing today. Lets make up a story about one of their star players! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Surely City and Chelsea's bankroll cannot continue infinitely and if so we are in the perfect position to clean up in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Redzer7 wrote: »
    What would anyones opinion be on him taken up a more central role?

I hope you mean a centraal figure in the team rather than playing in the center of the field because Wallcott is by no means a central midfielder doesn't have the footballing brain for it IMO.

• Advertisement

veXual wrote: »
    I hope you mean a centraal figure in the team rather than playing in the center of the field because Wallcott is by no means a central midfielder doesn't have the footballing brain for it IMO.
    No I mean as a striker like as opposed to being on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I don't know I doubt his ability to hold up the ball. His best asset is his pace and it's best utilised on the wing.

If he could perfect his final ball in he'd be a major force to be reckoned with. The lad is still on 21 to be fair so plenty of time ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

veXual wrote: »
    I don't know I doubt his ability to hold up the ball. His best asset is his pace and it's best utilised on the wing.

If he could perfect his final ball in he'd be a major force to be reckoned with. The lad is still on 21 to be fair so plenty of time ahead of him.

He needs to make a major improvement in his final ball and general decision making this season. If he doesn't I think he should be let go.

re: Pedro Bothelo
    greendom wrote: »
    He needs to make a major improvement in his final ball and general decision making this season. If he doesn't I think he should be let go.

Didn't they say the same about Bendtner?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

RvP in the semi's. CHuffed for him, even if he looks off form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Ye chuffed for RVP touch wood he stays fit!! :rolleyes:

Walcott to me is always a weird situation. You've got a player who on numerous occasions has said he wants to play up front he sees himself as a striker but yet 99% of his Arsenal career has been on the wing.

Yes his final ball is absolute muck but is it really his fault when he sees himself as a striker? The problem though is in a 4-3-3 theres no way he can play central hes too small. so unless we go back to 4-4-2 theres a chance well never see the best out of walcott in my opinion

gibson wrote: »
    Ye chuffed for RVP touch wood he stays fit!! :rolleyes:

Walcott to me is always a weird situation. You've got a player who on numerous occasions has said he wants to play up front he sees himself as a striker but yet 99% of his Arsenal career has been on the wing.

Yes his final ball is absolute muck but is it really his fault when he sees himself as a striker? The problem though is in a 4-3-3 theres no way he can play central hes too small. so unless we go back to 4-4-2 theres a chance well never see the best out of walcott in my opinion

But strikers have to be able to deliver a good final ball as well don't they?

That's a good deal with new home shirt. You get a redcurrant polo shirt worth £20 free when your pre-order from arsenal.com. In effect its only £30 for the home if you take postage into consideration also.
    Loving the new home shirt myself. I have an 70's style Umbro cotton shirt (albeit a Bangkok version ;)) which looks just like it. Umbro definitely had an input into it with them now being a subsidiary of Nike.

But strikers have to be able to deliver a good final ball as well don't they?

well suppose it depends what way theyre played. i didnt just mean final ball though i meant his overall general play.maybe hes just not happy being played as a winger

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

lads where did this Eduardo to Villa stuff come from?

• Advertisement

lads where did this Eduardo to Villa stuff come from?

not sure if theres anything in it, think it might just be paper talk

Arsenal prepare to sell Eduardo & Tomas Rosicky to make room for Joe Cole

Fat bugger.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Fat bugger.

horizontalist

Galvasean wrote: »
    Fat bugger.

Anyone bar Cole. He is over rated and over paid. id rather Rosicky any day of the week. God almighty i hope this isn't true.

Anyone bar Cole. He is over rated and over paid. id rather Rosicky any day of the week. God almighty i hope this isn't true.

I think I'd be happier to see Cole on the team sheet than Rosicky

I think I'd be happier to see Cole on the team sheet than Rosicky

i dunno i prefer what Rosicky brings to the table and he fits our system better. Dont like Cole as a person. An ok player but he commands way to much money per week if you believe what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

i dunno i prefer what Rosicky brings to the table and he fits our system better. Dont like Cole as a person. An ok player but he commands way to much money per week if you believe what they say

Free transfer, plus if we were to get any money at all for Rosicky then I think we'd be much better off. I like Rosicky, but at present Cole is a better player. You say Rosicky suits our system better, but what is that system? The one where we play players on the wing who tens to drift into the middle? Simply put, we haven't won the league since introducing this "system". The last time we did, in 2004, we had Pires, Ljungberg & Reyes in the squad, who contributed massively to this. I see Cole as a player in a similar mould to these and although people think he mightn't fit in with how we play, maybe he's exactly the type of player we need to be signing in order to revert back to that counter attacking football that brought us so much success!

L'prof wrote: »
    Free transfer, plus if we were to get any money at all for Rosicky then I think we'd be much better off. I like Rosicky, but at present Cole is a better player. You say Rosicky suits our system better, but what is that system? The one where we play players on the wing who tens to drift into the middle? Simply put, we haven't won the league since introducing this "system". The last time we did, in 2004, we had Pires, Ljungberg & Reyes in the squad, who contributed massively to this. I see Cole as a player in a similar mould to these and although people think he mightn't fit in with how we play, maybe he's exactly the type of player we need to be signing in order to revert back to that counter attacking football that brought us so much success!

Ah i Dunno, i just think he'd set a whole new precedent in terms of the wage structure at the club and to be honest i don't think he is worth breaking that. If a special player similar to a Sneijder, a Schweinsteiger, a Xavi or an Oezil were in same position to be snapped up even if a transfer fee was involved they might be worth reviewing the wage bill but certainly not for Joe Cole. Chelsea gave him the right answer in my view.

• Advertisement

Ah i Dunno, i just think he'd set a whole new precedent in terms of the wage structure at the club and to be honest i don't think he is worth breaking that. If a special player similar to a Sneijder, a Schweinsteiger, a Xavi or an Oezil were in same position to be snapped up even if a transfer fee was involved they might be worth reviewing the wage bill but certainly not for Joe Cole. Chelsea gave him the right answer in my view.

He'd be well entitled to whatever he asked Chelsea for if he signed on a free. It wouldn't break the wage structure either as the difference would be paid up front as a signing on fee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

After watching the disgraceful capitualtion that was england’s world cup tournament and seeing the bloated cash rich whinging players moping round the pitch constantly moaning and groaning it seems to beg the question, is the style of arsenal football club ruining the game in england. England seemed to think it clever to pass the ball around in their own half, buliding up possession statistics like they are the important and win games. Arsenal’s fault, the tippy tappy culture in full effect. Everything about the north londoners contributes to the poison spreading through the english game.

That is from a stoke city fans blog.

I think that is laughable, while i don't care what other fans generally think of our play as i like it to say englands short comings were how to we play in the PL is laughable.

I go to france every summer for about 2-3 weeks. There is a nice little stadium there and sometimes i cycle down via the beach and watch the under 12's. I echo what someone else on boards has said the fact so much of the training is placed on technique. Pass and move, possession.

This is in a tiny village called leucate. Yet they complain about the standard and i for one am all for English football being redeveloped from the ground up. It's what's needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Haha, Stoke people are funny, and their form of football has proven so effective.....
    Bring on the 18th Dec so we can tippy tappy around them again for another two nil victory for football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Anyone know when the TV schedules are decided?
    Wouldn't mind organising a trip over to the Blackpool game but it could be on the Saturday, Sunday or Monday at this stage so no point booking flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If Rosicky can get back to the player he was then id take him over Cole EVERY SINGLE TIME, Cole even in the same dimension as a footballer as Rosicky.

If Rosicky can get back to the player he was then id take him over Cole EVERY SINGLE TIME, Cole even in the same dimension as a footballer as Rosicky.

Rosicky will be 30 shortly after the new season commences, he'll never be the player he was and there's always going to be a question mark over his fitness. Comparing the players as is, Cole is better.

• Advertisement

Rosicky will be 30 shortly after the new season commences, he'll never be the player he was and there's always going to be a question mark over his fitness. Comparing the players as is, Cole is better.
    I'd probably take Cole over Rosicky as is too - but in fairness, Cole's injury history isn't great either and he'll be 29 shortly after the new season starts (November).

I think he'll be around for more of the season than we know for sure Rosicky would be but I'd rather someone who's more direct than either of them I think.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I'd probably take Cole over Rosicky as is too - but in fairness, Cole's injury history isn't great either and he'll be 29 shortly after the new season starts (November).

I think he'll be around for more of the season than we know for sure Rosicky would be but I'd rather someone who's more direct than either of them I think.

We won't pay big money for anybody, that's for sure. I'm sure there are less known players out there who are more direct, but I think we'd be mad to pass up on the chance to sign Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Cole aint far behind him age wise and both have a questionable track record with injuries over the last year. Neither player is gonna be what he once was but Thomas' play is suited to our style alot more than Cole's. Added to the fact that Rosicky is a respected professional at the club there's no question whos the better choice between the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I'd be worried about Cole, he has a really bad history of injuries

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I'd be worried about Cole, he has a really bad history of injuries

At least he'll be in good company :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement