Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

amiable wrote: »
    Do you have it? Wouldn't mind reading it. This sometimes happens i guess
    http://www.onemoreinthetolly.com/Thread-Cesc-s-interview-in-Don-Bal%C3%B3n

cesc4official Cesc Fàbregas Soler
    Incredible that people try and twist everything to make headlines. Arsene Wenger has had a huge impact on me and my career. Great man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

United only drew. Massive game tomorrow night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

So United draw tonight then, another chance for us to drop points to Sp*rs then?
    Big game tomorrow night now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

could there be yet another twist, 7 in it.

big game tomorrow night ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Is anyone else getting this strange feeling that perhaps Newcastle might get something out of tonights match? Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest based on the season so far if we were given another opportunity to get back in the race.

Hmmm........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Our hopes will raise that little bit only to be crushed again with another dismal display. Really hope the lads are fired up for the game 2moro night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I reckon well beat spurs alright.
    Bolton on sunday will be where the final nail is hammered in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

United's maximum potential points tally = 85 = (70 + (5 * 3))
    Arsenal's maximum potential points tally = 81 = (63 +(6 * 3))

Fixtures:
    Man Utd: Everton (H), Arsenal (A), Chelsea (H), Blackburn (A), Blackpool (H)
    Arsenal: Tott (A), Bolton (A), United (H), Stoke (A), Villa (H), Fulham (A)

hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fixtures:

hmmm...

I hate this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

So the run in...

Arsenal
    Spurs [a] = Draw
    Bolton [a] = Draw
    Man Utd [h] = Loss
    Stoke [a] = Win
    Villa [h] = Win
    Fulham [a] = Win

Total: +11pts

Man Utd
    Everton [h] = Draw
    Arsenal [a] = Win
    Chelsea [a] = Draw
    Blackburn [a] = Win
    Blackpool [h] = Win

Total: +11pts

Chelsea
    West Ham [h] = Win
    Spurs [h] = Win
    Man Utd [a] = Draw
    Newcastle [h] = Win
    Everton [a] = Win

Total: +13pts

Which would leave the league looking like this;

Man Utd 81pts
    Arsenal 74pts
    Chelsea 74pts

• Advertisement

We haven't beaten United in years and it ain't gonna change this season unless some guts and determination magically appear out of somewhere.

Fixtures:

hmmm...

I like the fact that we have 4 away games oddly enough as our away form is a lot better. This season is wrecking my head already, to many twists and turns, is not good for the health. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A win tomorrow will keep things interesting, that's for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

MikeySligo wrote: »
    I reckon well beat spurs alright.
    Bolton on sunday will be where the final nail is hammered in.

hope not, I'm going. Win tomorrow 4 points and Everton will def run United close. The thing is United will drop points but does this team have it in them to win all theres?

greendom wrote: »
    A win tomorrow will keep things interesting, that's for sure

A win tomorrow for ****ing principles sake never mind the title 'race' - more like title stagger tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

cson wrote: »
    We haven't beaten United in years and it ain't gonna change this season unless some guts and determination magically appear out of somewhere.

Well, we hadn't beaten Chelsea in ages either and ended up mauling them. Anything can happen.

The door to the title is... ajar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

A win tomorrow night might just bring a bit of belief back into the team - at the right time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

hope not, I'm going. Win tomorrow 4 points and Everton will def run United close. The thing is United will drop points but does this team have it in them to win all theres?

Hope not for your sake to man but Bolton will definatly be looking to bounce back from the hammering Stoke gave them last weekend :( As for us winning the rest of our games obviously it's unlikely with our current form but this season has been a very mad one, so lets hope we can! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

the title 'race' - more like title stagger tbh.
    Great description.

Don't get hopes up too much, lads. I'll be delighted to be wrong but still see United doing it comfortably - they've matched our result at Newcastle tonight but in far less traumatic circumstances. Plus our late-season general record against them in recent years is cat. They contain us better than anyone.

I had a lot of hope earlier in the season but we haven't stopped slides like this well in recent years. We're still unbeaten in a long time but it looks a bit of a struggle at the moment. And as much as it's been a mad season, the best place to be when points are being dropped is ahead with points in the bag, not chasing. Hope I'm wrong but like in the 'Fever Pitch' film, I'm refusing to keep getting hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

To be honest after whats gone on in the last few matches barring the blackpool win i dont have much interest in tomorrow nights game and just think it too little too late!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Colinboy wrote: »
    To be honest after whats gone on in the last few matches barring the blackpool win i dont have much interest in tomorrow nights game and just think it too little too late!!!

Sad state of affairs when a Gooner can't get excited for the NLD. Shouldn't even matter if both sides have nothing to play for statistically, EVERY Gooner and EVERY Spud should be geared up for the NLD regardless.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Great description.

Don't get hopes up too much, lads. I'll be delighted to be wrong but still see United doing it comfortably - they've matched our result at Newcastle tonight but in far less traumatic circumstances. Plus our late-season general record against them in recent years is cat. They contain us better than anyone.

I had a lot of hope earlier in the season but we haven't stopped slides like this well in recent years. We're still unbeaten in a long time but it looks a bit of a struggle at the moment. And as much as it's been a mad season, the best place to be when points are being dropped is ahead with points in the bag, not chasing. Hope I'm wrong but like in the 'Fever Pitch' film BOOK, I'm refusing to keep getting hopes up.

fyp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

See when you put him in that list he looks like a world beater, he is the only one of that 4 would even think about keeping, really thought Vela was going to be a superstar :mad:

I would add Bendtner, Squillachi and Rosicky to that list aswell.

Diaby is the best of that lot alright, but injury-prone, which means he can't show his full potential.

The talk is that Bendtner will go this season. I feel sorry for him. He has the talent, even if he does say so himself, but is used out of position. Playing him on the right wing is plain daft.

Squillaci has only had one season and was only ever intended to be a stop-gap player. Vermaelen's injury has meant him playing more than intended. He's done reasonably well, but the rumours are that St. Etienne want him and that we have more or less agreed a deal woth PSG for Sakho, who Wenger has trailed for the last three years. Vermaelen, Djourou, Koscielny and Sakho would be a better set of centre-halves than any other premier league squad.

Can't see Rosicky leaving as he is training for his coaching badge, and by all accounts has been impressive as a coach. He'll probably stay at Arsenal beyond his playing days. He maybe has one more season. That said, his displays this season haven't been good.

Eboue will probably leave too. Especially if we've signed Chamberlain from Charlton.

sonic85 wrote: »
    i honestly think if we had a good man manager maybe along the lines of hiddink wed have the league wrapped up by now. our current squad isnt that bad - definitely good enough to win the league this year

Do you honestly think we'd have a squad next year if Wenger was forced out? Van Persie and Fabregas have always maintained they'd be off if Wenger left. You can probably add Nasri, Sagna and Clichy to that list too. We'd be stuck with the Denilsons of the team. Any new manager would need to rebuild completely and we may suffer a season or two outside the top four. The negative effect of that is unthinkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It might be nice to get a motivational force in alongside Wenger though. How about Adams. Sure he'd be delighted to learn from Wenger and could be a galvanising force for the team

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

"We cannot lose to these *****" -Arseblog

It might be nice to get a motivational force in alongside Wenger though. How about Adams. Sure he'd be delighted to learn from Wenger and could be a galvanising force for the team

Hmmmmm.... Bergkamp....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Galvasean wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs when a Gooner can't get excited for the NLD. Shouldn't even matter if both sides have nothing to play for statistically, EVERY Gooner and EVERY Spud should be geared up for the NLD regardless.

will watch it behind the couch. Still the north london derbies have been very very good in the last 5 years, regardless of the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Fixtures:

hmmm...

This disturbs me, I can't help but get the feeling that with the way things are going that United will win the title at the Emirates :(

If they beat Everton (which they probably will) and we drop points against Spuds or Bolton then a United win at the Emirates (as we know, they've been well able to do that in recent years) could very well confirm them as champions at our stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭beer enigma

If we lose & Chelsea win....we'll go third !

What happened to the Great Managers dream of us finishing 2nd for 10 years - will he suddenly wake up to a blinding light.

Even Fab was giving out publicly yesterday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

No disrespect to Graham but "players at his disposal" is hugely unfair on Wenger. Do you think that Graham would have unearthed the likes of Vieira, Fabregas, Henry, etc etc etc.

Its precisely the players at his disposal from where Wenger gets most of his credit.

How many Non British - Non Irish players played in the Premier League in 1992-1995? Weren't most of the best players in Italy? (David Platt included) never mind non British managers. Sure Europe use to have that cap on "foregin players" in the Champions League for a short period- remember cantona could not play for Man Utd. Arsenal certaintly did not have the set up (Academy, World Wide Scouts) it does now - I am not trying to belittle what Wenger has achieved, that would be mental, but you are comparing Wenger's time to a totally different era, an era which Wenger himself is largely responsible for changing. People like Tony Adams could vouch for that. Nor did it have the money for the competive wages for the players.

Graham brought David Seaman (from QPR), Andreas Limper (remember him?) , when Stefan Swartz came in the 1994/95 season that was seen as being fancy dan stuff/ Then of course there is Ian Wright (well ok, people knew what he was made of from his crystal palace days), bringing Martin Keown back from Everton, and then locals like Paul Merson (what he could have done if he left down the sauce) and David O'Leary (well, he might as well be as he spent all his career there). Bergkamps arrival at the club during the 1995/1996 season was an example of how the club meant business (even if bergkamp had not set the Serie A alight, but neither had Henry)- By they way, can Bruce Rioch actually take credit for this buy, or was the likes of David Dein behind it?

Wenger's league positioning is vastly superior to Graham, but Arsenal did not go through too many cup baren spells under Graham.

THe point that the poster was making, and you well know, was that Wenger inherited a very strong goalkeeper and 6 defenders and an aging Ian Wright(again, without Wenger, I doubt Adams would have last so long as he did - the best Arsenal goal for me was the last day of the 1997-1998 season against Everton when Steve Bould brilliantly put Adams through on goal - talk about the auld heads)

But yes, Wenger brought gems, under Rioch we bemoaned the lack of midfield power - who remembers Eddie bloody McGoldrick, Glen Helder, Chris Kywomba? He brought in a string of young gonna bees, who although did not make it ultimately, they were very important at various times (Boa Morte, Chris Wreah, Alex Manniger) and seasoned pros like Wiltord (does not get the credit he deserves), Kanu (we always have THAT Chelsea game) Probably the funny thing is, many who left Wenger and the club did not, for whatever reason, ever achieve better after leaving ... Petit, Overmars, Hleb,Reyes (what happened to him?)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jordainius wrote: »
    This disturbs me, I can't help but get the feeling that with the way things are going that United will win the title at the Emirates :(
    Might be just the tonic.

Then again... maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Might be just the tonic.

Then again... maybe not.

We need 4 points from the Tottenham and Bolton games- otherwise we present United with the opportunity to do to us what we did to them in 2002. Remember how satisfying it was to win it at OT? (Even if we do get the 4 points, a United win puts them 9 clear with 3 games left, provided they beat Everton of course.)

Whilst looking at the run in for both Arsenal and Man Utd I just realised how close the league table could be by next week. Say if we win our next three matches :cool: against Spurs, Bolton and Man Utd and Chelsea win their next three games, we could be a point Behind Man Utd and Chelsea three points behind Man Utd going in to the Man Utd V Chelsea match with both sides needing a result.

That would be one of the greatest Premier League title races ever. Of course there is a lot of football to be played before then but it just shows that we have a great chance if we can get some kind of form going, a win tonight and I think the belief may come back into the side.

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.... Bergkamp....

Bergkamp will never be Wenger's assistant. He woulddn't get to any long distance games, and anyway, he was never vocal on the pitch. Good coach maybe, but bad assistant manager.

It seems Steve Bould is being groomed for the job if and when Pat Rice leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

gscully wrote: »
    Bergkamp will never be Wenger's assistant. He woulddn't get to any long distance games, and anyway, he was never vocal on the pitch. Good coach maybe, but bad assistant manager.

It seems Steve Bould is being groomed for the job if and when Pat Rice leaves.

Aye Bould is the man for it, however I could definetly see Bould and Bergkamp working together in a few years time. As a Man/ Ass Man combo i'd say they'd have the brains and the brawn for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Nasri 2-1 was the last time i think we beat united wasn't it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Nasri 2-1 was the last time i think we beat united wasn't it ?

Yup

poor connection double post, ninja edit.

I'm not too eager for this match tonight, hoping it's a good one all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

United will come looking for a draw, and get it easily.

• Advertisement

" Marseille have contacted Marouane Chamakh's representatives about a summer move back to France. Marseille looking to offer €15m "

Might that be too much for Wenger to turn down ? John Hartson reckons we need a quality striker up front to partner RVP. I personally think Chamakh is a very good player, but 15 million one year on from paying nothing is a bit tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If we got 15M for Chamakh I'd bite their hand off AS LONG as th emoney was guaranteed to be re-invested in the squad. If it was just going to line the coffers like always then no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

...Reyes (what happened to him?)
    He won the UEFA Cup with Atletico Madrid last year!

Frisbee wrote: »
    If we got 15M for Chamakh I'd bite their hand off AS LONG as th emoney was guaranteed to be re-invested in the squad. If it was just going to line the coffers like always then no way.
    I agree, although we'd need to keep Bendtner in that case and it sounds like he wants out. Our style of play would generally suit a smaller nippier striker though, I don't get how we can't just get a predator who's going to play the width of the box and be relied upon to be sniffing around the six-yard area when the ball goes in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

I agree, although we'd need to keep Bendtner in that case and it sounds like he wants out. Our style of play would generally suit a smaller nippier striker though, I don't get how we can't just get a predator who's going to play the width of the box and be relied upon to be sniffing around the six-yard area when the ball goes in there.

der is no way we need to keep bendtner,he sold be sold and if we got £10million for him i would be delighted,hes lazy,doesnt work,doesnt score,poor attitude hes holdin our team back,when i see is number coming up to be brought on i nearly change the channel he will never be a game changer for arsenal.id sell bendtner and keep chamakh but if we got offered whats reported for both id take it and buy a quality 20million striker,and if ya's think we need a tall forward then Florente from bilbao is the man big strong and scores plenty of goals in a poor team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bad idea, I like Chamakh. Bendtner isn't an Arsenal player so we need another striker, selling Chamakh means we'd need two.

I really feel for Bendtner though. This joke of putting him on the wing is terrible for the fella. When he leaves Arsenal, someone like Birmingham, Villa or someone who knows how to use a striker like Bendtner will sign him and he'll do very well.

I'd love to see some flexibility from this 4-3-3 formation that is simply not working without the magic of Cesc 2009-2010. That really means we need three if not four strikers. I've said it before though, Arshavin is much more of a forward than a winger so he counts as one in my book.

If Cesc goes then we have to go back to 4-4-2.

Song-Wilshire
    Walcott
    Nasri
    Arshavin
    RVP

If Cesc stays, I'm of the opinion that he'll return to form along with Gerrard, Torres, Lampard, Rooney and all of the other high profile world cup players who had a pretty poor season this year (by their standards obv). Then the 4-3-3 is probably worth having another shot at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

[QUOTE
    Song-Wilshire
    Walcott
    Nasri
    Arshavin
    RVP

.[/QUOTE]

whilshire yes but song as our other CM - i could think of at least 7 premiership teams already that would have a better Central Midfield

just throwing this out there what would anyone think of Drogba at arsenal ?? if he was avail in the summer i would defo consider him,hes a proven match winning striker in the premiership and knows what it takes to win leagues,he maybe getting on but defo has 2 more seasons in him

he'd be better then bendtner,chamakh,vela,emmaunl thomas

Dick Burns wrote: »
    der is no way we need to keep bendtner,he sold be sold and if we got £10million for him i would be delighted,hes lazy,doesnt work,doesnt score,poor attitude hes holdin our team back,when i see is number coming up to be brought on i nearly change the channel he will never be a game changer for arsenal.id sell bendtner and keep chamakh but if we got offered whats reported for both id take it and buy a quality 20million striker,and if ya's think we need a tall forward then Florente from bilbao is the man big strong and scores plenty of goals in a poor team!
    Well I can't see the manager selling both of them, sometimes a bit of height is just what we need. I'd say Bilbao will want the combined amount we'd get for them for Llorente and we'd be a man lighter in the forwards department. I think he's probably bound for Real Madrid this Summer anyway.

I don't even think the forward we need has to be some kind of superstar, just someone who can be relied on to try and get on the end of things rather than standing on the edge of the box.

We had one in Eduardo but left him go. To be fair, it didn't look a mistake at the time as he struggled to come back from injury. The biggest mistake was not replacing him with a similar player.

We should keep both Chamakh and Bendnter as they have different qualities. Chamakh carried the side in the first three months, never getting a chance to adjust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

IMO we need an unplayable player. By that I mean someone that you simply can't stop. We had Henry and we won stuff. Fergie and Mourhino can get away with having teams full of honest workhorses but Wenger needs a 30+ goal a season man.

I think the only player we have that can make that kind of impact is Fabregas. Wenger was right to build this team around him but when he's off form it simply stops working.

Hopefully he'll come back after the summer off and hit the ground running.

This year Fabregas got 3 goals and 11 assists in the premiership. Last year he got 15 goals and 15 assists. I think it's safe to say that if you reversed the stats we'd be top of the league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement