Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Same question to people who think Wenger should go, who replaces him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

peabutler wrote: »

Rafa's available, he's not afraid to spend money.;)

I'm really surprised at the calls for Wenger to go, I think there will be alot of regrest if he does. The team isn't far off whats required , a couple of good signings IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I can understand some of the Arsenal fans' frustrations with Wenger, he seems to have gotten a little bit more stubborn in his old age. There are obvious areas where he should have strengthened the team in the last couple of Summers. Its hard to recomcile the current squad with the great teams of warriors he assembled in the late 90's/early 2000's. Imagine what a Petit or Vieira or Campbell at their peaks could do for the current team?

But anyone calling for his head is insane at the same time. I don't know who ye could bring in that would be better for the club than he. He knows the place inside out and has kept ye challenging consistently even when he has spent very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

flahavaj wrote: »
    I can understand some of the Arsenal fans' frustrations with Wenger, he seems to have gotten a little bit more stubborn in his old age. There are obvious areas where he should have strengthened the team in the last couple of Summers. Its hard to recomcile the current squad with the great teams of warriors he assembled in the late 90's/early 2000's. Imagine what a Petit or Vieira or Campbell at their peaks could do for the current team?

But anyone calling for his head is insane at the same time. I don't know who ye could bring in that would be better for the club than he. He knows the place inside out and has kept ye challenging consistently even when he has spent very little.

I'd like to know if he really has had funds beyond what he has spent in the last few years, If he has theres no doubt he should have strengthened some areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think the money is there; he's spent £10m in each of the last two summers on two relatively unheralded defenders and by all accounts was prepared to drop £20m on Pepe Reina last summer but Liverpool rejected it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The Muppet wrote: »
    Rafa's available, he's not afraid to spend money.;)

I'm really surprised at the calls for Wenger to go, I think there will be alot of regrest if he does. The team isn't far off whats required , a couple of good signings IMO.

I've heard that a couple of good signings for the past few years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

Just saw the highlights of Arsenal V Liverpool on footytube...nice ovation from the Arsenal fans when Carragher was taken off. Twas great to see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

actually, Wenger was heavily involved in the building of the stadium, that's according the the arsenal magazine years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Wenger has to stay at the club. But he also has to pull the finger out and make some
    serious squad adjustments in the summer.
    Over the last few years we've been expecting him to make some big signings for us to help
    boost the squad but it never happened. Then we heard all the usual stuff from the media
    that Arsenal would be the most likely team to drop out of the Top 4.
    But that hasn't happened either. He's done a fantastic job with the players he has to keep
    us in with a shout of the title and give us C.L Football each year.

One has has to think how well we could be doing if he brought in some established
    players that know how to win when the going gets tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think Wenger's transfer policy has been found out. Gone are the days when he could sneakily buy the likes of Vieira, Petit, van Persie etc. for dirt cheap. His reputation for finding hidden talent precedes him so when he's interested in a player the price goes up significantly. Now we have to spend €10 million on middle of the road players like Koscielny.
    It's been a noble quest, trying to compete with the big spenders while using a modest kitty, but if we want to win we're going to have to bite the bullet and sign a couple of big name (and alas big money) proven stars.

This guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragan_Stojkovi%C4%87

He'll give the team steel anyway

Papa Smut wrote: »
    This guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragan_Stojkovi%C4%87

He'll give the team steel anyway

Ah yes ship Wenger and replace him with the man he himself suggested who prides himself on being a Wenger like manager ;)

Ah yes ship Wenger and replace him with the man he himself suggested who prides himself on being a Wenger like manager ;)

Who's 45 and just won the league in his present team (which Wenger couldn't do)

Who's 45 and just won the league in his present team (which Wenger couldn't do)

Wenger has won the league with his present team, 3 times. :confused:

returned home today to find the programme from the Liverpool game on my kitchen table. No idea who put it there / how it got here, but I'm glad it did. free Jens Lehmann poster :)

• Advertisement

Wenger has won the league with his present team, 3 times. :confused:

My point (and I think you know it) is Wenger hasn't won the league since 2004. He's unable to motivate his team anymore.

Stoijkavic won the league in 2010. First time Grampus won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Wenger will see out his contract, I have a feeling that he'll spend a bit of money this season. I just hope he addresses all ares and not leave us scratching our heads again like previous seasons. I always have an idea in my head of aresa that need strengthening, but very rarely are they all addressed and we're almost always found lacking throughout the course of the season.

The disappointing thing this season is that we clearly have the talent to compete at the highest level and win trophies, but when teams put us under pressure we crumble and make stupid mistakes time and time again. I'm not sure how we address that, put hopefully it can be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

My point (and I think you know it) is Wenger hasn't won the league since 2004. He's unable to motivate his team anymore.

Stoijkavic won the league in 2010. First time Grampus won it.

way too many variables between the 2 teams and their situations to compare them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I'm not going to pass judgment until I see what changes he brings in. I don't mind if we don't spend silly money, but we do need to get bodies in there.

• Advertisement

Nope, not surprised at all
    Needed in my opinion:
    New left back to replace Eboue
    New CB to replace Squillachi
    New DM to provide back up for Song

Sell:
    Diaby
    Eboue
    Squillachi
    Almunia
    Rosicky
    Denilson

And I would remove the captains armband from Cesc. He's turning into a hissy little prat. And the way his head was down with 8 minutes to go against Sp*rs was not what I want to see in the captain. He should be there spurning his men on, instead of feeling sorry for himself that we were going to lose/draw.

Would you see Viera doing that? Or Tony Adams? No f**kin way. Time for us to get a real captain in, someone the players respect and would look up to.

Charlie Adam anyone? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Nope, not surprised at all
    Needed in my opinion:
    New left back to replace Eboue
    New CB to replace Squillachi
    New DM to provide back up for Song

Sell:
    Diaby
    Eboue
    Squillachi
    Almunia
    Rosicky
    Denilson

And I would remove the captains armband from Cesc. He's turning into a hissy little prat. And the way his head was down with 8 minutes to go against Sp*rs was not what I want to see in the captain. He should be there spurning his men on, instead of feeling sorry for himself that we were going to lose/draw.

Would you see Viera doing that? Or Tony Adams? No f**kin way. Time for us to get a real captain in, someone the players respect and would look up to.

Charlie Adam anyone? :pac:

I predict very little, if any, of that transfer activity will take place. No way will there be a mass clearout. We might see one or two come in, the same leave. Come August we'll be starting with pretty much the same team, playing the same tippy tappy shite that got us nowhere this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Déjà fooking vu

Looking forward to another summer of speculation about Fab leaving and wenger signing 1 or 2 either young and unproven players or some older even less proven ones.....

Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Sell Cesc in my opinion. Right time for all concerned, the events of the last few weeks have probably pushed him closer to Barca, with 4 years left on his contract he won't be signing one again and this summer (or next) will be the best years to sell him in terms of transfer fee received as after that the threat of a Bosman will drive his value down.

He's done everything he can for us (bar win trophies which to be fair is not down to any lack of effort on his part) and he must be aware that the current strength of Barcelona won't last forever so I'd imagine if they come calling this summer it will be hard to convince him to stay.

Hopefully we'd get 40 million for him, offer Nasri a proper contract (as it runs out in 2012 and we don't want another Edu/Flamini situation).

I'd like to see a return to 4-4-2 with a (RM)-Song-Wilshere-Nasri first choice. Sign a right midfielder and someone of a similar calibre to Song as a back up or even someone to rotate with Song/Wilshere.

Nasri is not a winger at all. Our main problem is playing the likes of him and Arshavin on the flanks and having them constantly cut inside to a packed midfield. If we're going 4-4-2 we need at least one out ant out winger. IMHO Walcott is not that player either.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Nasri is not a winger at all. Our main problem is playing the likes of him and Arshavin on the flanks and having them constantly cut inside to a packed midfield. If we're going 4-4-2 we need at least one out ant out winger. IMHO Walcott is not that player either.

Yep. Agreed on Walcott, would really leave Sagna exposed. What does anyone know about Eden Hazard? He can play right wing as far as I'm aware?

About Nasri, he's not an out and out winger, completely agree. But I'd say the same for Ljungberg and Pires, I can see Nasri filling the Pires role myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

jordainius wrote: »
    Yep. Agreed on Walcott, would really leave Sagna exposed. What does anyone know about Eden Hazard? He can play right wing as far as I'm aware?

About Nasri, he's not an out and out winger, completely agree. But I'd say the same for Ljungberg and Pires, I can see Nasri filling the Pires role myself.

From what little I've seen of him Eden Hazard reminds me a lot of Nasri, maybe a bit pacier, but when he plays on the wings he looks more of a wide playmaker than an out and out winger, which isn't what we need really. If we can get him, by all means do, he'd be a great upgrade on Rosicky, but I don't think he'll do anything about our narrowness.

Knowing Wenger, I'd predict the 2011-12 squad will look a little something like this;

Szczesny, Fabianski, Mannone or Shea (one will probably be loaned out or sold)

Sagna, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Djourou, Squillaci, Clichy, Gibbs.

Song, Diaby, Wilshere, Nasri, Ramsey, Frimpong, Lansbury or Emmanuel-Thomas, Hazard, (A.N.Other)

Walcott, Chamakh, van Persie, Arshavin, Bendtner.

SIGNINGS; Jenkinson, Hazard, A central midfielder i.e. A.N.Other. Oh yeah, I'm sure Vermaelen will be referred to as a new signing at some stage :rolleyes:
    SOLD/RELEASED; Almunia, Fabregas, Rosicky, Vela, Denilson, Eboue
    RE-RETIRED; Lehmann!

Not what I think should happen but what will happen! Captaincy to either be given to RVP or Jack.

I dont think Nasri is quick enough to do the Pires role. Bobby was so flat footed it was hilarious but he was pretty quick. I'd prefer Nasri to slot in and do the Fabregas role once Cesc moves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Ryo Miyaichi has played fantastic for Feyenoord since his loan switch there in January. He's every bit as fast as Walcott, has tremendous control of the ball and his creativity is excellent.

I will be very very surprised if he doesn't start every game for us next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

I would like to see Walcott giving an Henry role up front. RVP could play similar to DB10. Walcott's goal v Spurs was prime example of the threat he would cause up top. It would be like playing 4-4-2 which I feel would suit us greatly.

Fursttimer wrote: »
    Ryo Miyaichi has played fantastic for Feyenoord since his loan switch there in January. He's every bit as fast as Walcott, has tremendous control of the ball and his creativity is excellent.

I will be very very surprised if he doesn't start every game for us next season.

I dunno, Dutch league is pretty poor, the likes of Suarez and Verm would have had extensive international and european experience before making the step up. I think it might be a bit early to have such expectations of Miyaichi, I think he'll end up on loan another season. Imo Botelho is much more likely to feature in the squad next season.
    Fursttimer wrote: »
    I would like to see Walcott giving an Henry role up front. RVP could play similar to DB10. Walcott's goal v Spurs was prime example of the threat he would cause up top. It would be like playing 4-4-2 which I feel would suit us greatly.

I'd agree. I think Walcott really needs to be given a bit more freedom. Let him play anywhere across the opposition back line in order to find space, he'll always drift to the middle anyway.

In terms of system though, I wouldn't be focused to much on a formation. I think it's more important that we learn to mix it up mid game. This season we've been very rigidly 4-2-3-1, which has made use narrow and predictable. I'd prioritize the wings, we lack natural width (i.e. players who are comfortable going down the outside). Being able to switch from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2 at will is what we lack and what United excel at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Sell:
    Diaby
    Eboue
    Squillachi
    Almunia
    Rosicky
    Denilson

Exact same list as I would have drafted. Unfortunately the likes of Diaby, Rosicky, Denilson seem to have won over Wengers respect which will no doubt see them still at the club in August.

Exact same list as I would have drafted. Unfortunately the likes of Diaby, Rosicky, Denilson seem to have won over Wengers respect which will no doubt see them still at the club in August.

Same list almost everyone would have drafted. It's too early to say really. It depends on however the situations with Nasri and Cesc unfold. Ultimately they are the players most likely to leave at this point so they will define our transfer activities.

I think we're no more likely to see any more than 3 of those 6 leave though. I think Rosicky, Denilson and Eboué are most likely, but it will depend on external interest and to what extend people will be willing to match their current wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

i see wengers latest quotes dont give us much hope for change in the summer.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6889573,00.html

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6890703,00.html

i like the way in the second article he mentions the fact we cant afford to spend 85 million on one player. ive never heard any arsenal fan calling for that kind of cash to be spent on a player. the gas thing about wenger is there doesnt seem to be any kind of middle ground. its either bring in players on a free or at bargain basement prices or dont bring any in at all.

also id really like to know what the mans fascination is with the squads average age? just because theyre young doesnt make them any good. id much rather have 3 or 4 29 year olds in the side who have experience of winning things have desire and have leadership qualities rather than have eleven average 22 year olds that keep collapsing when the pressure mounts

sonic85 wrote: »
    i see wengers latest quotes dont give us much hope for change in the summer.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6889573,00.html

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6890703,00.html

i like the way in the second article he mentions the fact we cant afford to spend 85 million on one player. ive never heard any arsenal fan calling for that kind of cash to be spent on a player. the gas thing about wenger is there doesnt seem to be any kind of middle ground. its either bring in players on a free or at bargain basement prices or dont bring any in at all.

also id really like to know what the mans facination is with the squads average age? just because theyre young doesnt make them any good. id much rather have 3 or 4 29 year olds in the side who have experience of winning things have desire and have leadership qualities rather than have eleven average 22 year olds that keep collapsing when the pressure mounts

Most important part for me:
    Wenger wrote:
    Our target was to build a new stadium without dropping from the top.

We knew it would be a difficult period for four or five years, so we had to make a decision how can we maintain the top with less money available.

For me we did well. Now, of course, people become impatient.

I can understand that completely because I am impatient as well - that is why you see me agitated.

I am stressed of course, you cannot care about things and not be stressed - your stress as well is linked with the uncertainty level, and in football, the uncertainty level is very high, so that creates of course a tension.

But I am perfectly happy in my job when I see my team play football on Wednesday night, I cannot be enjoying the game.

Hopefully he's hinting at the fact that money will once again be spent.

hope so but im certainly not holding my breath! on a lighter note isnt feyenoord vs psv on ESPN tomorrow? a chance to see ryo in action live. looking forward to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

sonic85 wrote: »
    the gas thing about wenger is there doesnt seem to be any kind of middle ground. its either bring in players on a free or at bargain basement prices or dont bring any in at all.
    That's rubbish, to be fair. Our most recent signings include:

- Koscielny £10m
    - Squillaci £6m
    - Vermaelen £10m
    - Arshavin £12m - £15m depending on the estimate you believe most.

You can argue about style of play or squad depth or whatever but clearly they're not bargain basement prices.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    That's rubbish, to be fair. Our most recent signings include:

- Koscielny £10m
    - Squillaci £6m
    - Vermaelen £10m
    - Arshavin £12m - £15m depending on the estimate you believe most.

You can argue about style of play or squad depth or whatever but clearly they're not bargain basement prices.

Nasri, Wiltord, Reyes, Vermaelen, Sagna, Eduardo, Rosicky, Walcott, Adebayor, Hleb, Richard Wright, van Bronkhorst, Jeffers, Edu, Pires, Lauren, Henry & Overmars all cost £6m or more.

• Advertisement

Captaincy to either be given to RVP or Jack.

Definitely not Wilshere. there is so much more for him to learn before being given all of that responsibility.

maybe bargain basement was a little too strong a phrase to use - very cheap then. 10 million or less is a very cheap transfer

plus the most recent names mentioned kos squid etc are clearly bargain basement compared to what the top 10 teams in the PL spend. aston villa spent 18 million on darren bent for fcuk sake. personally id have preferred wenger to put another 5 million on top of kos fee and gotten per mertesacker. international class with a ton of experience - but thats just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

L'prof wrote: »
    Nasri, Wiltord, Reyes, Vermaelen, Sagna, Eduardo, Rosicky, Walcott, Adebayor, Hleb, Richard Wright, van Bronkhorst, Jeffers, Edu, Pires, Lauren, Henry & Overmars all cost £6m or more.
    how much did ye let eduardo go for? Cant remember even a ball park

racso1975 wrote: »
    how much did ye let eduardo go for? Cant remember even a ball park

6 to 8 million i think

Eduardo was £7.5million according to Wikipedia.

L'prof wrote: »

just for the craic i went through that list because i though we got some of those players for less than 6 million. plus i have no life! :D ade cost around 3 and overmars cost 5.5. some of those prices have to be put in context though. we sold overmars for 25 million and bought pires as a replacement for 6. thats a bargain in my opinion. i think that would be a bargain in anyones book.

nasri 12
    reyes 10.5
    wiltord 13
    verm 10
    sagna around 8
    eduardo 7.5
    rosicky between 6-8
    walcott
    ade 3
    hleb around 12
    wright between 2-6
    v bronkhorst 8.5
    jeffers 8
    edu 6
    pires 6
    lauren 7
    henry 11
    overmars 5.5

• Advertisement

It's all very modest for our spending when you look at the stature of our club.

Galvasean wrote: »

thats the point ive been trying to get across - communication has never been my strong point :pac:. mid to lower placed teams in the league seem to spend more than us - it shows how remarkable wenger is that he can work on such a tight budget but that wont last forever. with the likes of city ever improving and liverpool playing well again sooner or later well slip out of the top four. you cant expect to compete with teams that are willing to spend big money on players when you only spend a fraction of that yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Galvasean wrote: »

I was kinda took apart for suggesting the previous shareholders took dividends but maybe i worded it wrong.They were taking fees which equated to dividends and were holding up any investment into the club.Have you ever thought you had a warchest to blow on players in the last 5 years ? Wenger is probably the greatest ever to purchase and nurture quality but it's plain to see there is no money there and hasn't been since the dividends shareholders fees have been taken out.

He always says there is money to spend, but he's so bloody reluctant to spend. That makes me think you may have a point d22ontour. He comes across as being stingy to a fault in terms of transfer dealings. Surely this cannot be the case for such an ambiious manager?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement