Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Have been offered tickets for the Blackpool game myself but I'm far too broke :( unemployment FTL.

Schweinsteiger is the kind of dream signing we won't make for 10 ten years. He'd be awesome in the centre circle behind Cesc alongside one of our other CMs. Strong, hard-working, energetic, disciplined, skilled and mature. Great player.

x PyRo wrote: »

A truly class act both on and off the field. take note Ada and Cashley

:(

Arsene Wenger believes he can persuade Sol Campbell to stay at Arsenal.

Campbell, 35, is a free agent and has had offers from Newcastle, Sunderland and Celtic have put forward a two-year contract.

But there is still a one-year deal on the table for Campbell at Arsenal and Wenger is hoping that his affection for the club will prove decisive.
    Hope so. If he was going to sign he probably would have done so by now, but it is Sol, one of the most unpredictable footballing personalities around, so you never know. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Schweinsteiger is the kind of dream signing we won't make for 10 ten years. He'd be awesome in the centre circle behind Cesc alongside one of our other CMs. Strong, hard-working, energetic, disciplined, skilled and mature. Great player.

I'd love if we signed him, he'd be savage in the PL, was player of the tournament in the WC for me. Good leader as well. Can't see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

http://gunnerblog.com/?p=2456

Have ye seen this? Excellent series of articles by Gunnerblog interviewing season ticket holders of clubs where our loanees were last season asking about how they got on.

Lansbury I have to say has impressed me whenever I have seen him. Could be screwed thouygh as I imagine he is behind Wilshere and Ramsey nevermind the actual first teamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Top man Eddie:

A personal message from Eduardo:
    Following the confirmation of his transfer to Shakhtar Donetsk, Eduardo has spoken to Arsenal.com and asked if the following message could be passed on:

"Before I start a new chapter in my career with Shakhtar Donetsk, I just wanted to send a message to all my friends at Arsenal.

"The past few days have been very emotional for me. Although I am excited about the challenge ahead with my new club Shakhtar Donetsk, I am so sad to be leaving my home for the past three years - Arsenal Football Club.

"Arsenal is a very special football club and I will miss so many people - my team mates, all the staff and of course, the wonderful Arsenal supporters.

"I would just like to thank everyone for your support during my time at Arsenal. When I first came to England, I could not speak the language and knew nobody, but as soon as I arrived I was made to feel at home and part of this big family. Also, I want to say thank you to the Arsenal supporters - you have been fantastic to me and always sung my name and I will never forget this.

"I had some very difficult times with my injury, but Arsenal was always there for me - the medical staff, the management, the players and the supporters. Thank you everybody.

"Although I have now left the Club, Arsenal will always be in my heart. I will always look for the Arsenal results and of course, I wish Arsène Wenger and the great players at the Club well for next season and the future."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

If he was going to sign he probably would have done so by now, but it is Sol, one of the most unpredictable footballing personalities around, so you never know. Fingers crossed.
    Yeah, the longer it goes, the more hope I hold out that he'll still be at the Grove next year. To be honest, based on all the talk last year about rest-time, etc. (and the fact he'll be late to pre-season wherever he ends up going), I don't see that Sol can really expect to be first choice at any PL side.

But there seem to be a million factors involved so I'm just going to wait and see with fingers firmly crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

In fairness though if Sol left you can't exactly blame him, IF it was purely on football reasons. If he goes to a club where hes going to play and not be 4th choice centre half I cant see why he'd stay with Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gibson wrote: »
    In fairness though if Sol left you can't exactly blame him, IF it was purely on football reasons. If he goes to a club where hes going to play and not be 4th choice centre half I cant see why he'd stay with Arsenal

Is he physically capable, though of playing week-in, week-out or would he rather the occasional game and substitute appearance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Anyone else get the sinking feeling we're going to get Schwarzer and put away the chequebook for the summer?

Eduardo -> Chamakh
    Gallas -> Koscielny
    Almunia -> Schwazer

The league is ours :rolleyes: Hopefully we're not done yet, I would love a world-class defensive midfielder like Schweini but I doubt it would happen - no wonder Cesc is desperate to leave. Sorry to be in such a dour mood but I desperately want us to improve on last season's third and we do need to make some fairly big signings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Would be very surprised if we see any more signings. Did Wenger not say he wanted all his business done before the World Cup? That didnt go according to plan, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

keano_afc wrote: »
    Would be very surprised if we see any more signings. Did Wenger not say he wanted all his business done before the World Cup? That didnt go according to plan, I hope.

Nah he was interviewed after the pre-season friendly the other night and he said he was still looking at a few players but didnt mention any names.
    Fingers crossed there,ll be a few more signings or else we wont be equipped for the fight this season again.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Hleb being offered to clubs for 3million euro.

I'd welcome him back for that price tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

SDTimeout wrote: »

At that price, yes but do we really need him?

L'prof wrote: »
    At that price, yes but do we really need him?

At a profit of seven million i think it would be great bit of business. I think he could play well with Nasri and Cesc in the middle or even as one of the front three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Barca would be looking for a straight swap between him and cesc :p Liked Hleb when he played for us but dont think we really need him.

At a profit of seven million i think it would be great bit of business. I think he could play well with Nasri and Cesc in the middle or even as one of the front three.

£7m profit my arsenal! We only got marginally more from Barca than we paid for him originally!

I mean in terms of selling him for ten ? and potentially getting him back for 3.

• Advertisement

I mean in terms of selling him for ten ? and potentially getting him back for 3.

I know what you meant, but it doesn't sit well with me to think of it like that to be honest!

Even apart from the way he left us, which was prickish in the extreme, it'll be a while before he's the footballer he was when he left us (if he ever will be again).

Spending a year sitting on your hole does nothing but send you backwards as a player, confidence-wise and skill-wise.

Pass.

johncrossmirror
    Sol to stay. Best hope #Arsenal sign Schwarzer or Fabianski could start season. Almunia in cold.On Mirror site

Fingers crossed on the first part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Even apart from the way he left us, which was prickish in the extreme, it'll be a while before he's the footballer he was when he left us (if he ever will be again).

Spending a year sitting on your hole does nothing but send you backwards as a player, confidence-wise and skill-wise.

Pass.

I'd be surprised of Wenger went back for him because of the way he fecked off!

johncrossmirror
    Sol to stay. Best hope #Arsenal sign Schwarzer or Fabianski could start season. Almunia in cold.On Mirror site

Fingers crossed on the first part!

That lad knows feck all lol claims to know a lot about Arsenal but a lot of poeple Ive seen talk about him says he knows very little. think at one stage he said cesc was gone then he changed his mind and then he sat on the fence and said i dont know lol

greendom - ye your right hes probaby not capable of playing week in week out but he'd still get more games at a team like Newcastle i think, cause chances are he wouldnt be 4th choice but you never know he might stay be nice if he did cause I cant see Wenger signing another defender now and we'd be really really short

Vermaelen, Kos, Djourou, Song?, Bartley? Nordveit? If you look at the updated squad list on the official site of first team defenders -

Sagna, Verm, Kos, Djourou, Clichy, Gibbs, Traore, Campbell - thats worrying especially if Campbell doesnt stay or isnt replaced. I dont think its fair to rely on Djourou should anything go wrong hes been out for a long time. I hope Wenger has a plan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Wreck wrote: »
    I'd love if we signed him, he'd be savage in the PL, was player of the tournament in the WC for me. Good leader as well. Can't see it happening though.

Ye not a hope. He's committed to the club, the club is committed to him and he just had a terrific year all around. And he makes a ton of money where he is too. Plus the prospect for ghe next few years aren't too shabby looking either since I reckon Bayern are going to regain European powerhouse status in the coming years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Henry has scored his first goal for The Red Bulls against Spurs. I miss having him in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Looks like Sol is staying

link (it's on a few other sites too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I'm not sure I could handle the frustration, may blow up

'Shoot Hleb'
    'Shoot'
    'Your right in front of the goal now SHOOT'
    'FOR F**K sake just SHOOT'
    'Sweet Jesus he's passed the ball to a player in a worse position' :eek:
    :D

Roaster wrote: »
    Looks like Sol is staying

Great news, his leadership is really needed plus his performances at the end of last season earned him another year imo

That lad knows feck all lol claims to know a lot about Arsenal but a lot of poeple Ive seen talk about him says he knows very little.
    In fairness, he follows the goings-on at the club very closely. So hardly "knows feck all".

Though, as has been discussed here before, I think he jumped the gun and got it wrong on the Cesc thing.

He'll filter out some of the crap that flies around pretty well but he doesn't have the kind of inside line (what journo does?) that would make him completely infallible.

Bottom line though, hopefully Sol stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sol staying would be a massive bonus imo. A lack of continuity in the squad is hurting things as much as anything else.

• Advertisement

The shirt's wrong - but he's just scored against Spurs. He won his half 1-0 too :)

_48460566_009849988-1.jpg
    The Sun wrote:
    Spurs supporters in the 20,312 crowd booed Henry's every touch in New York.

Those wearing the Arsenal red, who had travelled over for the Barclays New York Challenge, also dished out plenty of stick to Tottenham's stars.
    Wonder what the New Yorkers made of it all...

Ush1 wrote: »
    Sol staying would be a massive bonus imo. A lack of continuity in the squad is hurting things as much as anything else.
    Agreed. Although Gallas is a good defender he was not very popular in the dressing room and Silvestre was Silvestre. Even so losing three experienced CBs in one window would be problematic, especially given the likelihood that Wenger would only replace them with youngish CBs. Sol's performances were very reassuring last season but his experience, vocalness, drive and ambition would also be very valuable, and he's a great player for the other defenders to learn from. Fingers crossed the reports are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Might've already been posted but http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6275458,00.html,
    now even David Villa's in on the act. That's gotta be over half their starting line-up now blathering on about cesc?
    I'm going over to barcelona today, feel like going up to the Nou Camp in my Arsenal jersey and telling everyone in sight to p*ss off.

It hasn't been posted, I don't think.

I'm so tired of hearing their bull**** now. I propose a one year moratorium on all Barca talk in this thread... whose with me?!

revz wrote: »
    That's gotta be over half their starting line-up now blathering on about cesc?
    By my count it's 8/11:

Valdes

--No RB----Pique
    Puyol
    No LB

Busquets

Xavi
    Iniesta

----Messi
    No Ibra*
    Villa

* possibly because he no longer thinks anyone should move to Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

What did Valdes say?

Oh no :(
    The best rumour today is that Arsenal are negotiating for the Udinese centre-back Christian Zapata, who is definitely a possibility now that Wenger has stated he is still in the market for a defender. “It’s nice to hear that Arsenal are interested in the player,” Zapata’s agent Massimo Italiani said last week. “For several years now, Zatapa has been linked to prestigious clubs and that means that he is doing things well.”

:pac:

Agents...

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    By my count it's 8/11:

Valdes

--No RB----Pique
    Puyol
    No LB

Busquets

Xavi
    Iniesta

----Messi
    No Ibra*
    Villa

* possibly because he no longer thinks anyone should move to Barca.
    More like

Valdes
    Pique Pique Pique Puyol Puyol Puyol
    Busquets
    Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi
    Iniesta
    Messi Messi Messi
    Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

More like

Valdes
    Pique Pique Pique Puyol Puyol Puyol
    Busquets
    Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi Xavi
    Iniesta
    Messi Messi Messi
    Villa

Courtesy of Arseblog

blogimg_1650_6107-20100607093629601156.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Zapata?

lenin is going to cream himself :pac:

Ush1 wrote: »
    What did Valdes say?
    I might be wrong (just checked quickly and can't find anything) but I thought he'd chipped in at some point too.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Zapata?

lenin is going to cream himself :pac:

A lot of people dont seem to like Zapata is he really that bad? I wont confess to knowing anything about him but I do remember reading a while ago that he was another young up and coming defender

A lot of people dont seem to like Zapata is he really that bad? I wont confess to knowing anything about him but I do remember reading a while ago that he was another young up and coming defender

My comment was tongue in cheek, before summer everyone sorta picked a i wish this player would sign and leninbenjamin had been harping on about zapata for few months now :D

Daily Mail wrote:
    Flop Gunner! Eduardo was a big shot joining Arsenal...now he's their latest striking failure
    Eduardo da Silva joined Arsenal with a big reputation after heading Steve McClaren towards the sack as England manager. But four years on from his goal for Croatia in that Euro 2008 qualifier in Zagreb, he is leaving the Emirates like many before him: with his name almost as badly shattered as the bones in the ankle he infamously broke at Birmingham.
    living in the shadow of great Arsenal goalscorers was a burden for him before that [injury]...
    Classy.

What a crock of ****e - I'm actually shocked at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The Daily Mail is a rag of a paper. I can't understand how so many people on here see to hold it in such high regard. Its as much of a rag as the sun. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wow, that is seriously lacking in class, even for a tabloid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Quazzie wrote: »
    The Daily Mail is a rag of a paper. I can't understand how so many people on here see to hold it in such high regard. Its as much of a rag as the sun. :mad:

They do? :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

amacachi wrote: »
    They do? :S

Quite a few people in this very thread cite them as a reliable source.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

In fairness he was a flop, but that second comment was out of order.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement