Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

sonic85 wrote: »
    we sold overmars for 25 million and bought pires as a replacement for 6. thats a bargain in my opinion. i think that would be a bargain in anyones book.
    You're making a few different points here, though. That's about getting a great selling price for a player who hadn't cost us much. The level of our spending is a different argument completely.

You said "bargain basement prices" - I don't think that stacks up and deliberately focussed on the last few seasons as that's when this argument seems to have taken hold.

Also, comparing Villa's purchase of Bent to ours of Koscielny, etc. is really misleading. PL player vs Ligue 1 player, attacker v defender, experienced international v relative unknown, selling club's biggest star v good player within his team, etc. There are a huge amount of differences and given the level we've been at in recent years, there's no great need to spend money just so that people will see it being spent. It doesn't expire you know!

PS Wouldn't have spent £15m on Mertesacker myself. Not hugely athletic so not sure how he'd slot in pace-wise. You might think £10m is nothing but we differ on that and I also think Koscielny has shown enough to be considered a much better buy than Mertesacker would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

My biggest hope in the summer would be a return to 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

As for summer signings, i ain't even going to try and think what Wenger has/has not planned. Just hope whatever happens dosnt run all summer long and we are all waiting for something to happen on the final minute of deadline day.(as seems to be the norm with us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

sonic85 wrote: »
    thats the point ive been trying to get across - communication has never been my strong point :pac:. mid to lower placed teams in the league seem to spend more than us - it shows how remarkable wenger is that he can work on such a tight budget but that wont last forever. with the likes of city ever improving and liverpool playing well again sooner or later well slip out of the top four. you cant expect to compete with teams that are willing to spend big money on players when you only spend a fraction of that yourself

I'm not overly worried by how much we actually spend on players. It's when we don't sign players for positions that we're lacking in that drives me nuts!
    d22ontour wrote: »
    I was kinda took apart for suggesting the previous shareholders took dividends but maybe i worded it wrong.They were taking fees which equated to dividends and were holding up any investment into the club.Have you ever thought you had a warchest to blow on players in the last 5 years ? Wenger is probably the greatest ever to purchase and nurture quality but it's plain to see there is no money there and hasn't been since the dividends shareholders fees have been taken out.

That's a massive assumption! When we moved into the new stadium, we were expected to be paying it off over the next 17-25 years or so. But, if you keep an eye on our financial reports our debt has been massively reduced over the last 5-6 years and shouldn't take anywhere near that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Makes an interesting point about what if, the likes of Sol, Pires had stayed a bit longer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379396/Martin-Keown-Arsene-Wenger-stay-Arsenal.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sol should've stayed for this year. Once he sorted himself out he should've back at Arsenal til retirement and beyond.

http://www.express.co.uk/ourcomments/view/242600

ARSENE WENGER FLAW SHOW NEEDS STAR IN SPOTLIGHT

Sunday April 24,2011

By Jim Holden

ARSENE WENGER is a man of impeccable principle, and his financial stewardship of Arsenal is a model for all other football clubs in an age of reckless spending and rotten bad debts.

He is a man with an admirable sporting philosophy; he demands that his teams play the beautiful game – with stylish movement, intelligent passing and adventurous flair. When anyone wants to judge Arsenal today this is where you start.

Wenger manages a big football club how it should be managed. His team are a delight to watch. They always compete at the top of the league, they always qualify for the Champions League, and they always pay the wages of their players from money they have actually earned. His love of the game is obvious.

There is no hiding of emotion. Glorious goals thrill him. Comical goals given away torment him. His touchline performances are an entertainment in their own right.

Truly, a season ticket at the magnificently plush Emirates Stadium gives you a seat for the best football show in the land.

The small minority of Arsenal supporters who want Wenger to be kicked out of the club because they have gone six years without a trophy are completely bonkers.

If it ever happened, the queue of rivals wishing to make Wenger their manager would stretch all round the equator.

Jose Mourinho is currently first team boss at Real Madrid only because Wenger is not.

The Spanish giants have tried on a number of occasions to tempt Wenger to join them, but failed each time. Bayern Munich have been rebuffed too, along with several major Italian clubs.

I trust I’ve made myself clear. Arsene Wenger is a great football manager, one of the finest in the whole history of the game.

ONLY when we acknowledge all this, only when we start from the mountain top, can we assess the thunder of criticism that has rolled over the Arsenal manager in recent weeks, both from Gunners’ fans and from outsiders.

Too much of the comment is far too hostile.

Right now, the fact is that Arsenal can still win the Premier League title this season. They are not favourites, and I don’t expect them to finish top, but it’s far from impossible.

That is no mean achievement when many pundits last summer were predicting that Arsenal might finish outside the top four this season (and the Champions League places) because of the improvements at Spurs and Manchester City.

As it panned out, however, this has been a poor-quality Premier League campaign among the elite clubs, all of whom have been weaker than in recent times.

This has been a year when Arsenal, the best overall side, should by now have been in a commanding position to become champions. They should be favourites this weekend with a few matches left.

Wenger knows this. That’s why he looks so consistently frustrated. The Gunners’ fans know this. That’s why there are significant levels of despondency in the home crowd. Captain Cesc Fabregas know it. That’s why he made some pertinent comments in a Spanish magazine last week.

I suspect they all agree on why Arsenal are lying in third position this Easter Sunday morning rather than sitting pretty.

The reason is not because of the playing philosophy – the desire to score goals with style and to attack opponents with virtuosity.

It’s not because of a brittle mentality; not in players like Samir Nasri, Jack Wilshere, Robin Van Persie and Fabregas.

It’s not because of dodgy refereeing decisions and timekeeping, and not because Wenger doesn’t have a coterie of voluble assistant managers and coaches.

It’s not because so many opposition teams ‘parked the bus’ and came to play defensively.

The reason is simple. Wenger made two clear mistakes last summer.

He failed to buy the highly experienced international-class goalkeeper that he actively sought in the transfer market. And he failed to buy the highly experienced international-class central defender that was also required by the team.

Both were perfectly affordable within Arsenal’s budget. Both would have fitted perfectly into the overall Arsenal style.

These were major mistakes; Wenger’s mistakes.

“We needed a centre-back of quality and experience if possible, and at the right price,” said Wenger last summer when spending £3.2million to acquire Sebastien Squillaci from Seville.

Squillaci, though, was a squad player at best, a veteran past his peak.

Wenger knew what the team needed, but would not pay the extra amount that was required. He compromised on quality.

It was the same with a goalkeeper.

The right player was available, Maarten Stekelenburg of Ajax and Holland, who had just played in the World Cup Final.

The cost was £10m, and the Dutch keeper openly said he wanted to join Arsenal. Wenger should have spent the money. He did not.

That doesn’t make him a duffer. That doesn’t mean he is “fatally flawed” as some contend. That doesn’t mean his time at Arsenal should come to a close.

Arsene Wenger is still a brilliant manager.

He just needs to remind himself that strength at the heart of defence is an eternal imperative in football – and that it’s not a sin to write an occasional big cheque if you have good money sitting in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Also on Telefoot, Gervinho tells Salomon Kalou not to bother talking to Chelsea about his talents. He says he'd rather join Arsenal

I like Gervinho, we were linked with him a while ago. Double swoop for him and Hazard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I understand French clubs in general are going to be short of cash next year with no competition to Canal + prepared to buy live rights; this could be good news for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

Ryo Miyaichi playing on ESPN now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Commentator giving out about him getting past his man but then looking for a pass when he should shoot. He's Arsenal through and through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I like Gervinho, we were linked with him a while ago. Double swoop for him and Hazard!

Sell Arshavin and buy the Lille boys.

I'd take that.

Plus Neymar or Cavani.

And Izaguirre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Commentator giving out about him getting past his man but then looking for a pass when he should shoot. He's Arsenal through and through.

So footballistically he has the right philosophy? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Galvasean wrote: »
    Definitely not Wilshere. there is so much more for him to learn before being given all of that responsibility.

Agreed! The point of my post however was to predict what Wenger will do based on what we all know too well from past experience. Wouldn't agree with it but with Wenger you'd never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

This team and squad can go f*ck themselves, absolute jokeshop and laughing stock.

Ah well lads,

There's always next season...

**pukes**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

So here comes another few days of major short-sightedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Worst week for Arsenal in a while. 3 games we should have won and we come out with 2 points. Some brilliant chances today and still no dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Why do we support arsenal

• Advertisement

peabutler wrote: »
    So here comes another few days of major short-sightedness.

Or a few days of examining how we threw our best chance of winning the title in years away. No team has been any great shakes, but the draws against Spurs and Newcastle meant we dropped 6 points. Which would have left us two off the top with Man U to play.

Or, a couple of days for the Wenger apologisers to try and defend what has been an atrocious performance from the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

On a side note van persie was brillliant behind the striker
    We need to go out and bring in a top quailty striker in the summer

There seems to be a new one every week, I know i slated L'Prof and Frisbee earlier in season for giving up so early. It's really not worth it at this stage.

F*CK the experiment, SIGN two / three players that is ALL we need and we could win the PL easily.

Best chance in YEARS to win the PL. Infact we could have had it wrapped up by now considering some of those criminal points we've dropped this year.

Wenger has to stay, 100% about that but he needs to change his ethos. Which i really do think he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Papa Smut wrote: »

Or a few days of examining how we threw our best chance of winning the title in years away. No team has been any great shakes, but the draws against Spurs and Newcastle meant we dropped 6 points. Which would have left us two off the top with Man U to play.

Or, a couple of days for the Wenger apologisers to try and defend what has been an atrocious performance from the boss.

Am i missing something?

Surely this can't get any worse??:(

Checks fixture list to see who we're playing next

DAMN IT :mad:

There seems to be a new one every week, I know i slated L'Prof and Frisbee earlier in season for giving up so early. It's really not worth it at this stage.

F*CK the experiment, SIGN two / three players that is ALL we need and we could win the PL easily.

Best chance in YEARS to win the PL. Infact we could have had it wrapped up by now considering some of those criminal points we've dropped this year.

Wenger has to stay, 100% about that but he needs to change his ethos. Which i really do think he will.

Im not even sure its that simple tbh, this team is probably the weakest mentally that I have ever seen. How the hell did we manage to lose that game? This run we are on imo is permanently damaging. I dont think this squad will ever get a winning mentality. A massive 8 points taken from our last 7 league games. The lowest I have felt about Arsenal since the 1994/1995 season and im not even exaggerating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If there isn't a clear out in the summer and some great players don't come in then I am not going to bother anymore.

The lowest I have felt about Arsenal since the 1994/1995 season and im not even exaggerating

And even then we had the Cup Winners Cup to distract us from a horrible league campaign. Let's not mention the final!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Rubbish. Only this Arsenal team could dominate like that and still lose. Look, dont get excited about the summer. There wont be many changes. Come August we'll still be watching the same bunch of bottlers unable to close out games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Buy some defenders instead of throwing water bottles when the title has gone down the drain again.

amiable wrote: »
    Am i missing something?

My bad. sorry, I meant to say the draws against Newcastle (4 goals up!) Spurs (3-1 up!) Wigan (80 minute OG!) Liverpool (less said about that the better!) and Sunderland (Bent scoring in the 90th minute to get a 1-1 draw) cost us the title this year.

We have to work on our defence this year. If that means getting a new defensive coach this year, then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Unlucky Arsenal, think not having a regular goalie and losing Vermalean cost ye alot this season. I think cover at CB and possibly a new goalie (but WS looked very good these last few weeks) is needed, not very far off this year.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Unlucky Arsenal, think not having a regular goalie and losing Vermalean cost ye alot this season. I think cover at CB and possibly a new goalie (but WS looked very good these last few weeks) is needed, not very far off this year.

Nah, I'm happy with Chesney. Replacement for Clichy and a new defensive coach. TV should be back next season, but I'd buy a good back up just in case. I'd ship out Squillachi and Eboue too.

lordgoat wrote: »

Goalie not needed, Szczesny and Wilshere have been the only positives we can take from this season in my opinion.

Nah, I'm happy with Chesney. Replacement for Clichy and a new defensive coach. TV should be back next season, but I'd buy a good back up just in case. I'd ship out Squillachi and Eboue too.

Yeah im happy with Woj to start next season and I fully agree with Clichy going, along with other players. His cross in the second half with no pressure on him was a disgrace. Offers absolutely nothing going forward and his defending is average at best. Good riddance to him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Oh well. Wishlist time!

Cahill, Hazard and Cavani. LB and a CM would be nice too.

At least Wenger can no longer hide behind the 16 games unbeaten stat now.

Wishlist time...

I'm sure I'll get flak :pac: but...

Charlie Adam please. Not the greatest footballer, but he's got great natural leadership.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Alan mc gregor anyone?

Fabregas can go along with Arshavin, NB,Rosicky, Denilson and Chamakh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Charlie Adam please. Not the greatest footballer, but he's got great natural leadership.

He would be no worse than Diaby and Denilson anyway. A CB, CM and a striker are a must for me otherwise another season of rubbish. A clearance of deadwood needs to happen aswell in the summer.
    Id agree 100% about a new defensive coach, our problems arent always down to the players but the way we defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Same old Arsenal, it's painful to watch even when you're not a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

How any of you fellow gooners can back AW after that disgraceful result today is beyond me.
    I think its time he left and someone else come in as hes clearly lost the f**kin plot and cant manage to save his life.
    We dont need to wait till the end of the season now as its over already.New management needed aswell as some decent players wo will fight for the shirt and not roll over like they have done in the past few weeks.
    Im fed up with it to be honest!:mad::rolleyes:

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Fabregas can go along with Arshavin, NB,Rosicky, Denilson and Chamakh

Really think Chamakh's had a fair run already?

amacachi wrote: »
    Really think Chamakh's had a fair run already?

Not up to Arsenal class

Wishlist time...

I'm sure I'll get flak :pac: but...

David Dein please.

Not up to Arsenal class

If you say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Not up to Arsenal class

I think he is, probably the problem with alot of your recent signings.

amacachi wrote: »
    If you say so.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Colinboy wrote: »
    How any of you fellow gooners can back AW after that disgraceful result today is beyond me.
    I think its time he left and someone else come in as hes clearly lost the f**kin plot and cant manage to save his life.
    We dont need to wait till the end of the season now as its over already.New management needed aswell as some decent players wo will fight for the shirt and not roll over like they have done in the past few weeks.
    Im fed up with it to be honest!:mad::rolleyes:

I can back AW knowing full well that he is the best manager Arsenal can currently have that will ensure we continue to make Europe and keep our best players.

• Advertisement

We had almost full team out there today.

So discouraging watching Clichy put cross after cross in and they were all relatively poor.

Baines would be brilliant in our current set up of overlapping full backs who ping balls into the box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement