Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SDTimeout wrote: »
    We had almost full team out there today.

So discouraging watching Clichy put cross after cross in and they were all relatively poor.

Baines would be brilliant in our current set up of overlapping full backs who ping balls into the box.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The photoshops are out already.

Arsene.jpg
    aHAdF.jpg
    iKe3m.jpg

amacachi wrote: »
    If you say so.

Actually maybe I'm been too harsh on Chamakh, I take that back, he was very good early on in the season, just seems such a long time ago now, and he was out for a good bit with an injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Actually maybe I'm been too harsh on Chamakh, I take that back, he was very good early on in the season, just seems such a long time ago now, and he was out for a good bit with an injury.

I knew you'd see sense. :pac: He had a great start to the season and vP coming back took the wind out of his sails. Not sure about injuries tbh.
    Even today he still looked sharp I though. Some poor decision-making but it happens to everyone sometimes.

Here's a question as a non Arsenal fan....Would ye prefer to keep playing beautiful football with limited success or completely change your style and win trophies.
    Manchester United haven't really played much of their trademark exciting flair football this season but are on course to win a 19th title and are still in the Champions League.
    I'm sure there are times when ye are screaming at the tv for somebody on the Arsenal team to shoot only for them to try just one more pass or five.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I knew you'd see sense. :pac: He had a great start to the season and vP coming back took the wind out of his sails. Not sure about injuries tbh.
    Even today he still looked sharp I though. Some poor decision-making but it happens to everyone sometimes.

Its always a bad idea to post after a defeat imo :p emotions all over the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Surely it's time for Wenger to go, he's far to stubborn to accept radical changes need to be made. I rally can't understand why he's so untouchable, I mean 1 or 2, heck maybe 3 seasons without success would be acceptable but it's gone on far to long and also he's wasted so much money recently i.e Arshavin, Koscielny and Squillaci and the excuse that there is no money there is bull, you don't don't hand a 18/19 year old a £60000+ contract a week if there is very few funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

zerks wrote: »
    Here's a question as a non Arsenal fan....Would ye prefer to keep playing beautiful football with limited success or completely change your style and win trophies.
    Manchester United haven't really played much of their trademark exciting flair football this season but are on course to win a 19th title and are still in the Champions League.
    I'm sure there are times when ye are screaming at the tv for somebody on the Arsenal team to shoot only for them to try just one more pass or five.

Trophies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

peabutler wrote: »
    I can back AW knowing full well that he is the best manager Arsenal can currently have that will ensure we continue to make Europe and keep our best players.

Are you joking me or what?Or you watching the same arsenal team as me in the past few months??????
    Fabregas had a look on his face today after the whistle which said to me "Ive enough of this sh/t I'm outa here in the summer"
    there's is no leadership in this current squad and without it we,l win SFA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

7 - Robin Van Persie has now scored in seven successive Premier League away games, a new record. Landmark.

What a player he has been for us since he came back, its a pity some of the rest aren't up to his class.

• Advertisement

iMuse wrote: »
    What a player he has been for us since he came back, its a pity some of the rest aren't up to his class.

Definitely one of the bright spots this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eugeneious wrote: »
    Surely it's time for Wenger to go, he's far to stubborn to accept radical changes need to be made. I rally can't understand why he's so untouchable, I mean 1 or 2, heck maybe 3 seasons without success would be acceptable but it's gone on far to long and also he's wasted so much money recently i.e Arshavin, Koscielny and Squillaci and the excuse that there is no money there is bull, you don't don't hand a 18/19 year old a £60000+ contract a week if there is very few funds.

As tempting as it is to kick Wenger I'm not convinced that radical change is required. He's still one of the best managers in the game, His side still plays great football. But for a few unexpected results thet would be the team being chased for the title.

United fans in particular should [remember 1989] and realise how good he is and what a monumental mistake it would be for Arsenal to get rid of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

As good a manager as Wenger has been and he has done so much for Arsenal, I think its time he went upstairs or left, every season for the past 5 or 6 years we hear the same ****e about this Arsenal are this and this Arsenal team are that and sure enough they start most seasons with a swagger and style and hockey a few teams,this is when the pressure is off but when it comes to the crunch time and time again they are found out, as good as Wenger has been , how can he not see a new keeper and 2 no nonsense centre backs are needed?I mean it beggers belief, how long is it since Arsenal won a trophy anyway, would this be good enough for real madrid, for barcelona, for man utd,for chelsea, for ac milan, for bayern, no i dont think it would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

So do you think Arsene will finally splash out on some proven talent this Summer?

I genuinely think if ye got a top class CB and DM ye would be my favourites for the league for next season. It's just so glaringly obvious whats missing from the squad and he's never addressed it properly imo.

As good a manager as Wenger has been and he has done so much for Arsenal, I think its time he went upstairs or left, every season for the past 5 or 6 years we hear the same ****e about this Arsenal are this and this Arsenal team are that and sure enough they start most seasons with a swagger and style and hockey a few teams,this is when the pressure is off but when it comes to the crunch time and time again they are found out, as good as Wenger has been , how can he not see a new keeper and 2 no nonsense centre backs are needed?I mean it beggers belief, how long is it since Arsenal won a trophy anyway, would this be good enough for real madrid, for barcelona, for man utd,for chelsea, for ac milan, for bayern, no i dont think it would be

It might if they had just financed a new stadium and were looking at things in the longer term rather than teh here and now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Silly question. Trophies or no trophies? Trophies, but that's not to say if we changed our style of football that we'd be guaranteed to win trophies!

L'prof wrote: »
    Silly question. Trophies or no trophies? Trophies, but that's not to say if we changed our style of football that we'd be guaranteed to win trophies!

Rafa is free and looking for a job.:)

Now I know yer trollin' :pac:

Rafa me bollix!

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Now I know yer trollin' :pac:

Would martin O neill fit the bill?

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote: »

Did I hear an interview with Martin O'Neill the other day saying he wanted to get back into football?

I think we wouldn't see the changes that I'd like to see if MON got the job. I think we'd still be a 2cd/3rd placed team with MON in charge. Sure Pep will be available soon :pac:

;)
    Did I hear an interview with Martin O'Neill the other day saying he wanted to get back into football?

I wouldn't be surprised if you did.

I'd be amazed if Wenger walked or was sacked.

O neill is a great Manager look at Villa since he left. Replacing Wenger would be a huge gamble imo, realistically who could replace him and prove to be as successful as he has been for you.

Fergies going nowhere:D

If we had midtable aspirations and an unlimited amount of cash, he'd be ideal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martin O'Neill? hah! he'd fall out over transfer budgets within 6 months. Rafa would not be the worst option, you'd be harder to beat! And it would be amsuing to see fans reactions to a style nearer George Graham than Wenger (who is now a busted flush)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Things are looking a little bleak, I admit. Looks like 3rd is where we will end up and its another trophyless season. I still think that anyone who wants to change our manager needs their head examining though.

L'prof wrote: »
    If we had midtable aspirations and an unlimited amount of cash, he'd be ideal!

Definitely wouldn't want him, he is a good manager but is very much hyped up, as has been said, we have the best manager, he just needs to be encouraged to spend.

greendom wrote: »
    Things are looking a little bleak, I admit. Looks like 3rd is where we will end up and its another trophyless season. I still think that anyone who wants to change our manager needs their head examining though.

Just out of interest then, what do you think we need to get over the finish line?

mike65 wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill? hah! he'd fall out over transfer budgets within 6 months. Rafa would not be the worst option, you'd be harder to beat! And it would be amsuing to see fans reactions to a style nearer George Graham than Wenger (who is now a busted flush)

And bankrupt the club in the process. No chance.

Well Gunners would you like to have Rafa replace Wenger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

United fans in particular should [remember 1989] and realise how good he is and what a monumental mistake it would be for Arsenal to get rid of him.

Man Utd fans have no reason to remember 1989 - it was pre-Premier League.

Liverpool, on the other hand have plenty reasons to remember. And I think they may remember George Graham more than Arsene Wenger.

Personally, I feel that Wenger inherited the steel behind the Arsenal side from Graham. He did well to mix that with his own ideas and his own players. However, once that steel became too old, he failed miserably to replace it for the long term.

Colinboy wrote: »
    Are you joking me or what?Or you watching the same arsenal team as me in the past few months??????
    Fabregas had a look on his face today after the whistle which said to me "Ive enough of this sh/t I'm outa here in the summer"
    there's is no leadership in this current squad and without it we,l win SFA!

So who's to blame here. Wenger or Fabregas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

When Wenger goes, it'll be the end of a wonderful journey. So we haven't won a trophy but we have done well enough. Money is obviously an issue but we bought players, Wenger gave the fans some new signings and still some of them weren't happy. There's no pleasing some people really. I hope he stays and turns everything around. This season should have been for us but destiny decided it wasn't. I do think no manager will ever be good enough for Arsenal other than Wenger.

As for summer signings, who knows. I'd like Rodwell and Muller but doubt that would ever happen. But the signings I want is to benefit the team overall, not some kid who has a promising future ahead of him.

And bankrupt the club in the process. No chance.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, keep your agenda on the Liverpool thread eh*? ;)

Gillett and Hicks did the damage there. As you well know.

* actually don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

didnt expect much today to be honest and the result matched my expectations. the league has been over for us for a long time now - i just cant wait till this season ends because watching us play is just excruciating at the moment. hope to fcuk wenger sees the light and realises what must be done in the summer - not holding my breath though

Former Arsenal Diirector Keith Edelman says his former boadroom rival David Dein was the missing link in Wenger's management team:

"During the years we were successful there was an alliance of people at the top who made the club successful - that was David Dein, Arsene and myself,' he said. 'I ran the business side and David and Arsene ran the football side. David did a phenomenal job for the club and I think they miss David's role in encouraging Arsene."

"Arsene is naturally cautious and David was always very ambitious for the club. Look at Sol Campbell and how important he was and how expensive he was as an acquisition at a key moment when he won us a lot of trophies. [Campbell signed on a free transfer, but his wages and signing-on fees amounted to about £6million a year, at the time an unprecedented commitment.] I don't see that now."

"David was also a great networker. Together with Arsene, David would look at players and get into a position where he felt comfortable [spending money on them]. I used to sit in the boardroom and hear Arsene say, 'If you want to win the Premier League, you have to have a world-class goalkeeper'."

"Well, if that's what he believes, has he actually delivered that? David's importance is probably underestimated as he would make sure we now had a world-class goalkeeper."

"The demise of David is probably the reason why [Arsenal have not won more trophies], that and the fact that they haven't made some key signings at some key moments."

"There needs to be someone to understand the management that you have and to encourage them in their weak points and support them on that. Arsene is a naturally cautious man and, like any manager, he always thinks that his current management team is better than they actually are."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1379999/Arsene-Wenger-I-switch-night-stress.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »

Liverpool, on the other hand have plenty reasons to remember. And I think they may remember George Graham more than Arsene Wenger.

Personally, I feel that Wenger inherited the steel behind the Arsenal side from Graham. He did well to mix that with his own ideas and his own players. However, once that steel became too old, he failed miserably to replace it for the long term.

How many players that won the league unbeaten had played under Graham ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What makes you think Arsenal have any right to have the same expectations as these clubs?

He has kept them comfortably qualifying for the CL every season with a fraction of the net spend of any of these clubs. Any Arsenal fan I know with any bit of sense knows calling for his head is moronic in the extreme.

In fairness he did sign Lehman, Lauren, Sol and brought Cole through, but yes he was very very lucky to have the likes of Keown, Dixon, Winterburn etc...

mike65 wrote: »
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, keep your agenda on the Liverpool thread eh*? ;)

Gillett and Hicks did the damage there. As you well know.

* actually don't

It's the truth and as for making teams hard to beat, i think inter fans would disagree or is that hicks and gilletts fault too? No top club would want him as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

7 points from last 6 games. 14th in the form table, is this worse than last year's collapse?

Also let the post mortem begin. I somewhat look forward to it these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Maybe but he also inherited Dennis Bergkamp from Bruce Rioch and more importantly brought Vieria and Petit - the kind of players that he just refuses to buy these days. Flamini was the last player with real mettle that he signed and since then there's been no-one like that.

Wengers problem is that he lost the fighting spirit when Adams,Bould,Winterburn,Viera etc. left.The current crop have no fight in them,the defeat to Birmingham in the cup final has really shot their confidence to pieces.The Arsenal team of old would have enough character to pick themselves up and fight on.
    How many of the current team would you depend on to stand up and be counted?
    Arsenal are not a bad team,just short of one or two real fighters in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Board wont sack Wenger- he does what they want him to do on the business side of things so he has them on his side.

He might walk but I can't see him doing that, he has a contract til 2014, I don't see him signing a new one, but I do see him honouring it. Unless there is a change at board level or the club is bought out, Arsene Wenger is going nowhere (provided he qualifies for Champions League football every year.)

So I think we all need to accept that! Whether you want him or not I feel what I've stated above will hold.

The only personnel that will change are players, the key ones this summer are Gael Clichy, Samir Nasri as they both have only one year left on their contracts. And Cesc. Any transfer activity will hinge on what happens with these 3 players.

Clearout? As much as we'd like to see that happen it's not exactly Wenger's style now is it?

It's the truth and as for making teams hard to beat, i think inter fans would disagree or is that hicks and gilletts fault too? No top club would want him as a manager.

yadda yadda yadda Liverpool 2-0 liverpool 1-0 against Inter Milan ;)

flahavaj wrote: »
    What makes you think Arsenal have any right to have the same expectations as these clubs?

He has kept them comfortably qualifying for the CL every season with a fraction of the net spend of any of these clubs. Any Arsenal fan I know with any bit of sense knows calling for his head is moronic in the extreme.

I agree with you regarding Arsene.

I think the frustration is that the team is so close to achieving something special, all it needs is a few players, some areas that need improvement have been obvious for some time, the money appears to be there but we are not spending it. This coupled with very high ST prices is adding to the frustration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

I like Arsenal a lot and I'm disappointed you couldn't win the league this year.

The fundamentals of Arsenal's team is good but there are some parts that need to be cast adrift.

Gael Clichy today was horrific and indeed has been for most of the season. If Clichy was on my team I'd treat him the same way as Billy the Limpet in Mean Machine. Terrible player. A new left back is a necessity.

Also Fabregas is going in the summer and that 30 or 40 odd million could prove very useful. Aaron Ramsey will have no problem stepping up I feel but it would be no harm at all to buy a creative midfielder for around 10 million.

WS had a great season and is a real find and the long term solution to the Goalkeeping problem. To borrow a phrase from across the pond he's your 'franschise' goalkeeper for the next 15 years.

One more thing needed I feel is a quality winger someone like Antonio Valencia who has the ability to skin defenders and puts in consistent, quality balls unlike Theo who frustrates the shít outta me watching him. Someone like Alexis Sanchez for 25 million would be a big investment but quality wingers like him aren't hugely common these days.

I don't see Central Defence as a huge issue once Vermaelen gets back. Djorou done good this season and Koscielny isn't bad. I think whats needed is a Tony Adams like figure to provide leadership.

That's my take on it anyway from a neutral perspective.

I like Arsenal a lot and I'm disappointed you couldn't win the league this year.

The fundamentals of Arsenal's team is good but there are some parts that need to be cast adrift.

Gael Clichy today was horrific and indeed has been for most of the season. If Clichy was on my team I'd treat him the same way as Billy the Limpet in Mean Machine. Terrible player. A new left back is a necessity.

Also Fabregas is going in the summer and that 30 or 40 odd million could prove very useful. Aaron Ramsey will have no problem stepping up I feel but it would be no harm at all to buy a creative midfielder for around 10 million.

WS had a great season and is a real find and the long term solution to the Goalkeeping problem. To borrow a phrase from across the pond he's your 'franschise' goalkeeper for the next 15 years.

One more thing needed I feel is a quality winger someone like Antonio Valencia who has the ability to skin defenders and puts in consistent, quality balls unlike Theo who frustrates the shít outta me watching him. Someone like Alexis Sanchez for 25 million would be a big investment but quality wingers like him aren't hugely common these days.

I don't see Central Defence as a huge issue once Vermaelen gets back. Djorou done good this season and Koscielny isn't bad. I think whats needed is a Tony Adams like figure to provide leadership.

That's my take on it anyway from a neutral perspective.

I would hope that we would get more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Steel, leadership, backbone, bottle.
    They've all become clichés at this stage but are still badly needed at Arsenal.

2 or 3 older, wiser and more mature players need to be brought in.
    Proven winners helps as well. Fabregas is not captain material, at least not yet in his career.

This coupled with very high ST prices is adding to the frustration.

Does Wenger set the ST prices?

fans complaining about lack of investment on one hand and ST prices on the other is a little ironic , we've had that ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

I would hope that we would get more.

i dont think we will unless its from man city or real

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement