Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

what players do you think arsenal need to make them win the title and other trophies??

remember we have vermalaen to come back which i think if he wasnt injured we wud be in a better state then we are now,vermalaen is a born leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

People also forget that were it not for Bendtner missing a sitter near the end at the Nou Camp,we would have went through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dick Burns wrote: »
    what players do you think arsenal need to make them win the title and other trophies??

remember we have vermalaen to come back which i think if he wasnt injured we wud be in a better state then we are now,vermalaen is a born leader

Before the season began Vermaelen said "Arsenal will win the league this season." I reckon he anticipated playing more than 3 games though. I wonder had he remained fit all season would his boast seem more reasonable?

People also forget that were it not for Bendtner missing a sitter near the end at the Nou Camp,we would have went through.

LOL people don't forget, therin lies the problem with Arsenal.
    Dead weight players and Wengers confidence in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Bendtners problem is the insistence on playing him on the right. Every time i see him put in a cross for RVP i die a little inside.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Arsenal; The only team that can finish 3rd in a two horse race.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

x PyRo wrote: »

Funny cause it's true, I can't believe we're 3 points behind Chelsea!!!

x PyRo wrote: »

Happened to United before when they were chasing us. Liverpool pipped them to 2nd on the last day of the season, despite being out of the race for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

In the immortal words of Billy Ocean.

When the going gets tough the tough get going......

last 6 matches
    Man U LWWWDW
    Chelsea WDWWWW

and us

DDWDDL

the win was against Blackpool who have an even more ridiculous defensive strategy than us.

The rest includes, throwing away a 3-1 lead against the spuds, a 99th minute lead against liverpool, add a last minute defeat to bolton and draws against WBA and Blackburn

we are behind wolves birmingham and wigan in the form table

Not to mention that Blackpool should have gotten a penalty to make it 2-2 against us.
    we just can't cope with the pressure. We had opportunities to leap frog United and take top spot earlier in the season, but we screwed 'em up - buckled under expectation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

finty wrote: »
    We beat Barcelona at home in a game they should have won easily. The true reflection was the 2nd leg, we got destroyed.

I think the general pessimisim has gotten the better of you. We match Barca at the Emirates.

PosessionArsenal 33% Barca 67%
    TerritoryArsenal 53% Barca 47%
    Shots off targetArsenal 4 Barca 3
    Shots on targetArsenal 5 Barca 5
    TacklesArsenal 18 Barca 20
    OffsidesArsenal 3 Barca 9
    Pass SuccessArsenal 84% Barca 92%

Barca kept the ball for longer but that was always going to happen. The stats also show that they kept it for decent spells in their own half.

You are right. This team don't have the temprement for a fight and that's been shown in slow motion over the last few months ... but they played a blinder that night.

We have plently of complaints as Arsenal fans but that night they were the best opposition Barcelona faced since Inter last year or the Chelsea team that were robbed of victory the year before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gosplan wrote: »
    I think the general pessimisim has gotten the better of you. We match Barca at the Emirates.

PosessionArsenal 33% Barca 67%
    TerritoryArsenal 53% Barca 47%
    Shots off targetArsenal 4 Barca 3
    Shots on targetArsenal 5 Barca 5
    TacklesArsenal 18 Barca 20
    OffsidesArsenal 3 Barca 9
    Pass SuccessArsenal 84% Barca 92%

Barca kept the ball for longer but that was always going to happen. The stats also show that they kept it for decent spells in their own half.

You are right. This team don't have the temprement for a fight and that's been shown in slow motion over the last few months ... but they played a blinder that night.

We have plently of complaints as Arsenal fans but that night they were the best opposition Barcelona faced since Inter last year or the Chelsea team that were robbed of victory the year before that.
    You forgot one stat.

GoalsArsenal 2 Barca 1

Thats the point that is being made to you. As an Arsenal fan you should know by now that possession and stats mean nothing unless you scored goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Abou Diaby is on twitter.he's after posting two tweets so I guess that'll be his
    lot for six weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Spoiler from Madrid v Barcelona ahead...

Well, well, looks like Wenger is better than Mourinho and/or Arsenal are just generally better than Real Madrid. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

amacachi wrote: »
    Spoiler from Madrid v Barcelona ahead...

Well, well, looks like Wenger is better than Mourinho and/or Arsenal are just generally better than Real Madrid. :)

And bolton are the best of them all....

finty wrote: »
    And bolton are the best of them all....

.....and Fulham are 3 times better than Bolton....AND they have a Michael Jackson statue.......

.....and Fulham are 3 times better than Bolton....AND they have a Michael Jackson statue.......

And I'm still alive so I'm better than all of them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Vermaelen to play against Utd reserves tomorrow - good news but the horse has already bolted

Honestly....why would Fab want to go to such a horrible club as Barcelona?They are worse than Liverpool in the 80s...just horrible.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Vermaelen to play against Utd reserves tomorrow - good news but the horse has already bolted

Can't see the sense in doing anything with him before the summer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

amacachi wrote: »
    Can't see the sense in doing anything with him before the summer tbh.
    Surely you can't be suggesting putting his rehab on hold?
    If he's ready to step things up he needs to play reserve games.
    The longer he is out the more susceptible he is to injury.
    Maybe you know more than the Arsenal medical staff?

amiable wrote: »

Do it in private, don't give the Belgians an excuse to call him up.

And ya know what, I'm starting to wonder if we don't all know more than the Arsenal medical staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sorry, this made me laugh. I'd rather take my chances with Dr Nick than listen to the Arsenal medical staff. Remember how Djourou was meant to be out for the season only to play again a couple of weeks later? Remember how Van Persie got injured in the CC Final and was "out for weeks", only to play again the following week? Do me a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Honestly....why would Fab want to go to such a horrible club as Barcelona?They are worse than Liverpool in the 80s...just horrible.

Trophies?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

To be honest, I have gone off him this season :(

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Sorry, this made me laugh. I'd rather take my chances with Dr Nick than listen to the Arsenal medical staff. Remember how Djourou was meant to be out for the season only to play again a couple of weeks later? Remember how Van Persie got injured in the CC Final and was "out for weeks", only to play again the following week? Do me a favour.
    So you have a medical degree?
    I don't want to do you any favour.
    Just looking to debate a point if that's ok with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

keano_afc wrote: »

To be honest I'm not going to complain about the medical staff over estimating how long a player will be out! What's annoying is when a player is expected to be out a few weeks and it ends up being a few months! Remember Rosicky, got injured January 2008, didn't play again til Aug/Sep 2009, he was predicted to return countless times but it never happened! I'm fairly sure similar has happened with van Persie and Djourou in recent seasons.

Anyone have any theories on why we've had a ridiculous record with injuries in the last 5 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

jordainius wrote: »
    Anyone have any theories on why we've had a ridiculous record with injuries in the last 5 years?

Our players are made of gummed together chopsticks and bone china?

L'prof wrote: »

Aye....but it's akin to being the best whore in a whorehouse.....tainted sh*te.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Our players are made of gummed together chopsticks and bone china?
    In fairness Arsenal aren't the only team with injury problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

jordainius wrote: »

Wenger signed a bunch of players who can't keep fit, and instead of replacing them with players who can... he just hoped his bunch of crocks would keep fit.

In fairness Arsenal aren't the only team with injury problems

I know. But Wenger needs to stop claiming we have a big enough squad when quite clearly half of them will miss at least half the season. Everyone and their dog knew we needed another CB in January but he insisted on persisting with the 'Vermaelen will be ok' line of reasoning.

Fabianski, Woj, Vermaelen, Djourou, Gibbs, Diaby, Fabregas, Nasri, Walcott, RVP, Bendtner, Denilson, Rosicky, Ramsey have all missed large parts of the season through injury. Obviously injuries ar eunavoidable, but we seem to get by them pretty bad each year so either we need a bigger squad, the medical team need to be re-trained/replaced or we need to buy players that aren't going to snap in half when the wind blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

Do ye think Nasri will sign an extension to his contract or is there actually a chance of him leaving?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Frisbee wrote: »
    I know. But Wenger needs to stop claiming we have a big enough squad when quite clearly half of them will miss at least half the season. Everyone and their dog knew we needed another CB in January but he insisted on persisting with the 'Vermaelen will be ok' line of reasoning.

Fabianski, Woj, Vermaelen, Djourou, Gibbs, Diaby, Fabregas, Nasri, Walcott, RVP, Bendtner, Denilson, Rosicky, Ramsey have all missed large parts of the season through injury. Obviously injuries ar eunavoidable, but we seem to get by them pretty bad each year so either we need a bigger squad, the medical team need to be re-trained/replaced or we need to buy players that aren't going to snap in half when the wind blows.
    While I agree with the thought, the players listed can't be lumped together. Sczeszny and Ramsey for example got one-off freak injuries. Van Persie, Diaby and Rosicky are constant sick-notes. Denilson has terminally injured talent. The rest are somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

The Emirates Cup has been confirmed.
    gun__1303919986_emiratescup2011.jpg

From Arsenal Website
    Arsenal Football Club has announced the line-up for this summer’s pre-season curtain-raiser, the Emirates Cup 2011, to be held on Saturday 30th July and Sunday 31st July.

Joining the Gunners at Emirates Stadium for this summer’s pre-season tournament will be three high profile teams from around the world.
    Emirates Cup 2011 will see Arsenal joined by MLS side New York Red Bulls, who currently boast Gunners’ legend Thierry Henry in their ranks, leading French club Paris Saint-Germain and Club Atlético Boca Juniors - the most successful Argentine and South American club of all time.

As with previous Emirates Cup tournaments, fans will enjoy two matches on both Saturday and Sunday, with one ticket giving access to both matches on a particular day.

The kick-off times on both days are 2pm and 4.20pm, with tickets priced from only £25 for adults and £15 for concessions for each day.

Coinciding with the announcement of the line-up for this year’s tournament, Arsenal Football Club is also delighted to announce that a three year extension has been signed with Emirates Airline, as title sponsor of the Emirates Cup until 2013.

As well as the contract extension with Emirates Airline, Arsenal has also signed a five year agreement with MP & Silva to distribute the broadcast rights to the tournament. These two new arrangements reflect the rapid growth of the Emirates Cup which is now considered the world’s leading pre-season tournament.

Emirates Cup 2011 kicks-off at 2pm on Saturday 30th July with Thierry Henry’s New York Red Bulls taking on Paris Saint-Germain, followed at 4.20pm with the hosts Arsenal playing Boca Juniors.

Sunday’s fixtures also start at 2pm, when Paris Saint-Germain take on Boca Juniors. Arsenal and New York Red Bulls will bring the competition to an exciting climax, kicking off the final match at 4.20pm on Sunday afternoon.

Teams will be awarded three points for a win and one point for a draw. The competition also rewards attacking play, with teams being awarded one point for each goal they score. In addition, shots on target will be counted and will be used to decide the tournament winners if teams are level on points and goal difference.

The winning team will be presented with the Emirates Cup trophy after the second match on Sunday 31st July.

The Club is pleased to announce that, once again, Arsenal members will receive exclusive first rights on purchasing tickets for Emirates Cup 2011, which will offer many Gunners’ supporters the first opportunity to see Arsenal play ahead of the 2011/2012 season.

Arsenal Chief Executive Ivan Gazidis said: “We’re delighted and proud to once again be hosting the Emirates Cup this summer. Over the previous four years, the Emirates Cup has proved to be an overwhelming success and a thoroughly enjoyable weekend of football.

“Nearly half a million supporters have now come to Emirates Stadium to attend the Emirates Cup in the four years, and the tournament is now recognised around the world as a prestigious pre-season event.

“Emirates Airline has been the proud sponsor of the Emirates Cup since the inaugural tournament in 2007 and we’re obviously delighted that they have decided to continue with this successful partnership.

“New York Red Bulls, Boca Juniors and Paris Saint-Germain are three clubs with great players and huge followings, and they are sure to make Emirates Cup 2011 a hugely exciting weekend of football. Also, I’m sure all Arsenal fans will be looking forward to welcoming back Thierry Henry – a true Arsenal legend.”

Maurice Flanagan, Executive Vice Chairman, Emirates Airline & Group added: “The Emirates Cup is an integral part of our long-term partnership with Arsenal Football Club and a relationship of which we are extremely proud.

“Emirates Cup 2011 is sure to be an exciting pre-season event, which features two of our sponsored teams in Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain. Also the two other teams are based in key Emirates Airline destinations – Buenos Aires and New York.”

All further developments regarding the Emirates Cup 2011 will appear on Arsenal.com and in all official Arsenal publications.

Emirates Cup 2011 match schedule:

Saturday 30th July
    New York Red Bulls v Paris Saint-Germain (2pm)
    Arsenal v Boca Juniors (4.20pm)

Sunday 31st July
    Boca Juniors v Paris Saint-Germain (2pm)
    Arsenal v New York Red Bulls (4.20pm)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, that's the last weekend in July sorted for me... or the Sunday, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

henrys comin back baby! :D

Gonna head over to that this year as I'm finally around to do so. When do they usually go on general sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

I didn't go this season, but with Thierry and Boca turning up I think it is worth it this time! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I wonder could we get a group of us going over?

Quazzie wrote: »
    I wonder could we get a group of us going over?
    I'll likely be meeting up with the usual folk from my other forum but I'd be game for catching up with any of you crazy kids heading over too. More the merrier. The Emirates Cup is a lovely event.

Looks good. having teams from outside of Europe ads spice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

I'd be up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Henry is exciting enough, but there's also the prospect of seeing Juan Agudelo play against a premiership team which I've been salivating at the prospect of having watched him so far in MLS this season. Hopefully he lives up to the hype.

I can see the tickets for Arsenal v Red Bulls going fast.

If I did head over wouldn't mind meeting up with some Irish Gooners.
    Bear in mind, while Arsenal have not won any games that I have watched at the Merc, they have won EVERY game I've attended.

I'll be there.
    Last time i went to the Emirates Cup 2007, Henry had just ****ed off to Barca.:mad:

Galvasean wrote: »
    If I did head over wouldn't mind meeting up with some Irish Gooners.
    Bear in mind, while Arsenal have not won any games that I have watched at the Merc, they have won EVERY game I've attended.
    Better get your ass over for this then, there's silverware at stake ;)

So interested thus far:

Quazzie
    Pepe
    Galvasean
    liamy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Quazzie wrote: »
    You forgot one stat.

GoalsArsenal 2 Barca 1

Thats the point that is being made to you. As an Arsenal fan you should know by now that possession and stats mean nothing unless you scored goals.

I think we have our wires crossed. I was responding to the comment
    We beat Barca at home in a game they should have won easily

My point with the stats was that we matched them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Assuming I'm not in France at the time i'd make a point of trying to get over for the EC.

Craig Eastmond broke his Ankle today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement