Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Fursttimer wrote: »
    Increase of over 25% for both of the above for next season :eek:

As much as 45% depending on which option people are on

Haha, compensating for the loss of income from ATVO I guess!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

L'prof wrote: »
    Haha, compensating for the loss of income from ATVO I guess!

Dont think its a laughing matter. And they more than compensated for that with the 6.5% ticket increase. Besides ATV online is a load of turd.

Seen yesterday, our cheapest ST is dearer than Manchester Uniteds dearest even with all their debt.

Says it all about which direction this club is going.

DB10 wrote: »
    Dont think its a laughing matter.

I don't think you've understood my meaning here!
    Seen yesterday, our cheapest ST is dearer than Manchester Uniteds dearest even with all their debt.

I'd have my doubts on this. I do know that, in general, we are more expensive than most clubs. There are certain contributing factors, but we're still too expensive. Do you have a link to the season ticket comparison by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Dont think its a laughing matter. And they more than compensated for that with the 6.5% ticket increase. Besides ATV online is a load of turd.

Says it all about which direction this club is going.

Thats because FA Cup and I think CL games are included in our season ticket whereas they aren't for other clubs like United.

Still far too expensive mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Deacon is still with us. Would've thought from reports of him that he'd have stayed, though I suppose there are people ahead of him even at sub/Reserves level for that left wing spot (Lansbury, Freeman, Henderson, even JET). Plus I see he'll be almost 20 by the time next season starts so probably wants to start moving towards the first team.

Young Guns would be a good place to find out more, Paully:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ayounggunsblog.co.uk+deacon&hl=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Happy St Totteringham's Day chaps.16th year running.Always warrants a beer or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Happy St Totteringham's Day chaps.16th year running.Always warrants a beer or two.

:) just downed a couple of whiskeys, as per my yearly celebration. Will sleep soundly tonight :D

L'prof wrote: »
    I don't think you've understood my meaning here!

I'd have my doubts on this. I do know that, in general, we are more expensive than most clubs. There are certain contributing factors, but we're still too expensive. Do you have a link to the season ticket comparison by any chance?

I dont have a link tbh I seen it on Sky sports news the other day when they were discussing it.

I too have my doubts about it, it's beyond ridiculous if true, but I think we may have more cup games or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

A bit disappointed that Ramsey's goal against the mancs last week didn't make the BBC goal of the month shortlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

gebbel wrote: »
    A bit disappointed that Ramsey's goal against the mancs last week didn't make the BBC goal of the month shortlist.

Seriously, who give a **** about that!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

shano_88 wrote: »
    Seriously, who give a **** about that!?

Yea....it's not a competition so don't call in....but we'll hear next week which one the 80s' Liverpool defenders picked.....y'know.....just for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

gebbel wrote: »

I'd say its because the goal was scored last Sunday, the 1st of MAY, and that was APRIL's goal of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

What was the name of the arsneal player in the 80's that every time he got the ball everyone would chat "shoot"?

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    What was the name of the arsneal player in the 80's that every time he got the ball everyone would chat "shoot"?

I believe that was in the 90s under George Graham and the player goes by the name of John Jensen, a Danish international who was hopeless at shooting.

He is now working in the Premier League at Blackburn as Assistant manager to Steve Kean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Ok, thats it, i give up :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

If United, Man City, Chelsea and even Liverpool strengthen this summer which they all will, can only see Arsenal losing pace if they dont spend themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I believe that was in the 90s under George Graham and the player goes by the name of John Jensen, a Danish international who was hopeless at shooting.

He is now working in the Premier League at Blackburn as Assistant manager to Steve Kean.

That brings back memories, He did score one screamer did he not?

Very poor. Humiliating, Stoke fans summed them up "boring".

Cant see anything changing next season without a new manager. He refuses to get rid of the dross or buy quality players.

Deja Vu again next year so.

Sad really, never look forward to our games anymore or next season. Or even the window, because nothing will change.

Cant wait for another embarrassing interview post match...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

No point dragging over what's been said a million times already. The summer will be indicative is all I'll say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Muppet wrote: »

He scored a great goal for Denmark in Euro 1992 if I remember rightly and then lived off it his entire career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The Muppet wrote: »

Found it, not quite the screamer I remembered but a good goal none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think Wenger should go and sign a couple of big, scary lumps. Samba or Hangeland would fit the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Paully D wrote: »
    I think Wenger should go and sign a couple of big, scary lumps. Samba or Hangeland would fit the bill.

Samba's performance yesterday (among numerous other) was top notch. Showed commitment and drive we've lacked all season, and is a presence in the air. He's still only 26, I'd definitely take him.

Indeed business HAS to be done this summer. Offload a few of the players already mentioned in the thread. As much as I love the little chap it's probably time for Andrei to go, if we were to get an offer ~£10million from Zenit or someone I could see him going. We could get someone in like Hazard who has potential and costs less in wages.

We're lacking the cutting edge/directness we used to have. That's what I've seen in a lot of matches this season.

Look at the pace in this counter attack. We don't have that pace anymore:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Nice to see last weeks game was just a blip and we're right back in form. :rolleyes:

Huge summer ahead, Wenger has a lot of work to do. Is he brave enough to admit his errors or will his stubbornness come to the fore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

If United, Man City, Chelsea and even Liverpool strengthen this summer which they all will, can only see Arsenal losing pace if they dont spend themselves

Kinda stating the obvious.
    You can say that about every team every close season.
    If the teams around team a strenghten and team a doesnt etc.

You left out Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I was there when Johnny scored:D
    In the QPR end

Seriously. I'm so close to giving up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

keano_afc wrote: »
    Huge summer ahead, Wenger has a lot of work to do. Is he brave enough to admit his errors or will his stubbornness come to the fore?

I think it will be a defining summer for Wenger. He needs to bite the bullet and spend some money otherwise it will be the same old story we've been having for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think it will be a defining summer for Wenger. He needs to bite the bullet and spend some money otherwise it will be the same old story we've been having for years.

Yeah +1 to this. We clearly need a number of players to be brought in. I'm also being a pessimist and realising that it's rather unlikely to happen, but I really hope I'm wrong as watching us implode at the vital time of the season again might just kill me! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I just hope he doesn't come out woth the 'We have a good squad but were unlucky with injuries' excuse again. We get bad injury problems every season so he should be strenghtening to cope when they inevitably happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Disgracefull performance again today.Some of our players should be f**ked out the door in the summer.Arshavin shocking,Eboue,denilson and even clichy had a very poor season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's been largely the first XI that have played in the past 2 woeful months so he'd better not even attempt at trotting out that excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Go big Wenger, Zlatan will get us a league :D

Chamakh and Rosicky played well enough when they came on, Arshavin canceled out last weeks good performance. Those guys are playing to be squad players next year at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Who is the player on the right who just strolled into the box and watched as Walters smashed it home?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/jon-walters-arsenal-9242227/

Didn't think I would feel this much disappointment over today, glad I didn't go out for the match. :mad:

Kieren Gibbs.

Who was particularly shite today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gibbs has been shíte all year, he's not the answer to the Clichy problem. Certainly not yet anyway. Add a left back to the list of positions Wenger needs to, but won't strengthen over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

If we were to get a layer for one position this year which do you think we need most?

For me its a good strong ball winning midfielder in viera, keane mould. I know wenger has tryed to make song that player but hes just not up to standard in my opinion.

I also think having vermaelen back next year will be like having a new singing hes been bdly missed this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

To be fair, that has been a standard line directed at Arsenal for the last few seasons with reagrd to finishing top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

All you can do is laugh. Big decisions need to be made on this team in the summer and the coaching staff and how we approach next season. Perhaps a new manager with new ideas is required. Or Wenger just can't manage players who aren't as good as the players he had in the past.

Either way, big decisions need to be made. That performance was awful but in truth, i expected it and barely watched it, is such the disgust i hold for this team at the moment.

• Advertisement

Gibbs has been shíte all year, he's not the answer to the Clichy problem. Certainly not yet anyway. Add a left back to the list of positions Wenger needs to, but won't strengthen over the summer.

He's 22 this summer. If he was good enough, he'd have dislodged Clichy at this stage. He's too injury prone as well. He is not and will not be the answer ever imo. Another Justin Hoyte is what he is.

I'd nick Izaguirre off of Celtic, having watched him a few times this season he could probably make the step up.

cson wrote: »
    I'd nick Izaguirre off of Celtic, having watched him a few times this season he could probably make the step up.

I'm pretty sick of this attitude from gooners. Why do we have to "nick" players that could "probably make the step up"?

We need experience. And winning experience at that. Lets stop taking such gambles on players and buy good established players. With the increase in ticket prices, the fact we came -><- this close to winning the league cup, we had the premier league title in our own hands... It's just so... ugh! We have money now and the ST holders are going to want to see it spent, or else they won't renew.

cson, this isn't an attack on you or your post, it's just I hate this complacency and the "There's always next year" attitude. We have a great team, just needs some experience and backbone in it.

Fair enough, in terms of experienced quality left backs who would you go for?

The only one I can think of is Leighton Baines.

cson wrote: »
    Fair enough, in terms of experienced quality left backs who would you go for?

The only one I can think of is Leighton Baines.

Ho-ho! Yes please! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Ho-ho! Yes please! :D

I'd actually agree that Baines would be a very good signing but how does he meet the criteria of "winning experience"?

People keep saying how all we need to sign is some experienced winners and we'll be golden. In actual fact doing this is pretty damn difficult. I mean Squillachi has won the French leach twice as well as the French cup and Copa del rey. And look how he's turned out.

Wenger is really going to have to pull some spectacular signings out of the bag to sort things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Glad I had a sleep in and missed the match, will watch MOTD though, was it that bad? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Just read that since the beginning of March we have averaged 1.25 points per game. If we had played like that for the whole season we would have finished on 47 points.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Glad I had a sleep in and missed the match, will watch MOTD though, was it that bad? :(

Yes, never looked like winning today!

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Just read that since the beginning of March we have averaged 1.25 points per game. If we had played like that for the whole season we would have finished on 47 points.

Liverpool would be 3rd if the league started when Dalgleish took over! Very poor run though to be fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

We need to have the attitude of 'we are going to win number 14' and then prepare and focus on 15 and so on. Everyone needs to work together as a team and get some real quality into the team. Proper coaching and proper management.

I'd actually agree that Baines would be a very good signing but how does he meet the criteria of "winning experience"?

People keep saying how all we need to sign is some experienced winners and we'll be golden. In actual fact doing this is pretty damn difficult. I mean Squillachi has won the French leach twice as well as the French cup and Copa del rey. And look how he's turned out.

Wenger is really going to have to pull some spectacular signings out of the bag to sort things out.

I dont agree re Squallaci. What we need is PL experience who dont need to adjust to the league. All too often the players take too long to adjust even if they are good. It's completely different to other Leagues.

Btw on SS, he may have won French and Spanish trophies, but that's mostly as a sub. He was a sub player for Seville, so for me that says it all.

As we seen with Silvestre, medals mean nothing, if your ****e. Both him and Silvestre, are not and never have been good enough, both most likely would not have been here only they were so cheap and French.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement