Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

cson wrote: »
    Fair enough, in terms of experienced quality left backs who would you go for?

The only one I can think of is Leighton Baines.

Bring Baines in, and bring his manager with him. Done another good job with Everton this year with no money.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Go big Wenger, Zlatan will get us a league :D

Chamakh and Rosicky played well enough when they came on

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6h8jhDvw11LRYKFB2DsB_QiRyfGVVCEM6jD3nn2NRMN52QCNc&t=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

cson wrote: »
    Fair enough, in terms of experienced quality left backs who would you go for?

Ashley Cole.

Say sorry. Tell him he was right. Give him whatever he wants and make him captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

DB10 wrote: »
    Bring Baines in, and bring his manager with him. Done another good job with Everton this year with no money.

Wenger did a better job with equally little money. The difference is that Moyes team started the season crap before finishing strongly whereas we did the opposite.

It really is difficult to think of a manager that you could definitely see coming in and winning trophies for us.
    I dont agree re Squallaci. What we need is PL experience who dont need to adjust to the league. All too often the players take too long to adjust even if they are good. It's completely different to other Leagues.

Btw on SS, he may have won French and Spanish trophies, but that's mostly as a sub. He was a sub player for Seville, so for me that says it all.

As we seen with Silvestre, medals mean nothing, if your ****e. Both him and Silvestre, are not and never have been good enough, both most likely would not have been here only they were so cheap and French.

Oh and yeah I agree, quality is more important than experience just for the sake of it. Although Squillachi played 62 games in the two season Lyon won the league while he was there. And he was only needed as a sub for us in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think it will be a defining summer for Wenger. He needs to bite the bullet and spend some money otherwise It will be the same old story we've been having for years.

Fixed that for you, sadly

Ashley Cole.

Say sorry. Tell him he was right. Give him whatever he wants and make him captain.

Still cant believe we let him go for 10m plus Gallas.

What a horrible transfer that was, I honestly cant think of a worse one under Wengers reign. That was when the slide began, how the hell did he allow one of our best players leave for a rival side for such pittance?

Looking back Cole was well worth the money he wanted (55k). He would certainly be captain now. Utterly depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

so it seems you've no good LBs.

Konchesky's available :D

that was as bad a first half performance i've seen from an Arsenal team in a long long time. i've never seen Wenger react at halftime by bringing on 2 strikers. a huge inditement.

Wilshere was the only one, along with maybe VP, to come out of that with any credit IMO.

Chamakh is a complete chancer.

Gibbs is an abomination.

the perfect microcosm of what Arsenal's mentality problem is came after you scored. i watched it with an Arsenal mate, and at one stage we kind of looked at each other and felt what was coming. and so it came. Stoke's third goal. an utter inability to handle any pressure whatsoever.

i don't know the answer.

:o

Shame he farmed the strikers on the wing!

And Chamakh, well he's so poor now. I'd sell him in the summer, then again if it were up to me I'd get rid of Bendtner and Vela too.

Vela must go anyway, been here years, cant even break into the WBA side, while look what Hernandez done at United in his first season?

Still cant believe we let him go for 10m plus Gallas.

I don't wish to upset you further but I think it was 5 million.

I don't wish to upset you further but I think it was 5 million.

Just looked it up...:(

That really is one of the worst transfers in PL history. From what I remember thought the board were just as at fault as Wenger though.

• Advertisement

I don't know who gets what in wages but I'd bet Gallas was on more than 55k a week right from the off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just looked it up...:(

That really is one of the worst transfers in PL history. From what I remember thought the board were just as at fault as Wenger though.

At the time I thought it was a great transfer. Cole wanted out, Clichy seemed well capable of taking the spot and Gallas was a top center half. It didn't turn out well but as Bertie says if hindsight was foresight there wouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Was watching MOTD day one time and Keown says arsene does very little defesive training and it really show - we're terrible at set pieces and most of the time our centrebacks are the first line of defence when opposing teams are attacking.

We have no leaders and our team is very small in height.

....................Szechney
    Sagna.....Koscielny.....Djourou....Clichy
    ...............Song.........Wilshere
    Walcott..............Fabregas............Nasri
    ........................Van Persie

Not a bad side really - We need a left back and a world class centreback too.

Song
    Koscielny
    Djourou
    Clichy
    Walcott

Debatable whether they are good enough to move the club on. At various stages they have cost us dealy and underperformed.

Dont get me wrong they would be well done the list of players I would dump, but this guys are first choice and I dont think any can say they have had a good year bar Djourou.

Clichy and Song for me certainly aren't good enough and need replacements in the first XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

What really disappointed me was teh complete and utter lack of desire shown by Bendtner and Chamakh after being introduced at half time. these guys should be playing their hearts out to try and break into the team. Instead tehy just sauntered about waiting for the match to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Jesus the defending from us today was something else :rolleyes::mad::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Samba has revealed he almost joined Arsenal in Jan.

Linky http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11670_6922475,00.html

Song
    Koscielny
    Djourou
    Clichy
    Walcott

Debatable whether they are good enough to move the club on. At various stages they have cost us dealy and underperformed.

Dont get me wrong they would be well done the list of players I would dump, but this guys are first choice and I dont think any can say they have had a good year bar Djourou.

Clichy and Song for me certainly aren't good enough and need replacements in the first XI.

If I was to pick out 5 players to get rid of Song and Djourou would be nowhere near the list. Song is one of our better players and Djourou, despite recent mistakes has been one of our best defenders this year.
    As for Theo, he's come on a lot this season, I think he adds enough to justify his place in the side. Kosicelny ain't the worst. Clichy has been dodgy for a while alright

Song
    Koscielny
    Djourou
    Clichy
    Walcott

Walcott is going to become a monster.Week on week you can see the guys balls are growing.Keep him.

• Advertisement

Warning : NSFW If you are in Work, use your earphones to listen to this

Ok, which one of you guys is it???? :p:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

OPENROAD wrote: »

There was me thinking it was the Liverpool match before it finishes. Sure with the season we've had I think we've all been in that stage of rage at some point...or maybe it's just me :rolleyes: At the same time that poor dog!

Brady 79 shirt check
    Football machine + p*rn machine + telly box check
    Teenage beard on a middle age man check
    Wrought emotion resulting in break up with dog check
    Wrought emotion resulting in break up with Amy check

Telly would have gone out that window....otherwise yea that's me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The funniest bit is you can hear his phone vibrating on the floor at one stage, and you just know its one of his mates texting him to rip the p*ss.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    The funniest bit is you can hear his phone vibrating on the floor at one stage, and you just know its one of his mates texting him to rip the p*ss.:pac:

Definitely :D

• Advertisement

Brady 79 shirt check
    Football machine + p*rn machine + telly box check
    Teenage beard on a middle age man check
    Wrought emotion resulting in break up with dog check
    Wrought emotion resulting in break up with Amy check

Telly would have gone out that window....otherwise yea that's me.

Used to have the long sleeve 71 shirt after watching that video, I want that jersey, pretty cool imo, pops off to Arsenal online store :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Some of the comments under the video are well funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

And it's not even the Tiote goal!! :pac:

Speaking of anger etc, Arsenal are offering a free towel with a pre-order of the new home kit so ye may wipe the tears for next season.

gun__1304677206_mpu_300x2502.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The player would be no different to what we have and the manager is not as good as we have presently. I think this post is suffering from the premise that the grass is always greener.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

greendom wrote: »
    The player would be no different to what we have and the manager is not as good as we have presently. I think this post is suffering from the premise that the grass is always greener.

Think Baines is better offensively and defensively than Clichy.. LB has become a pretty big concern to be honest. Clichy's demise is costing us more and more goals each season. Not the first name on the team sheet he once was. Although he probably still is in Wenger's eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sútalún wrote: »
    Think Baines is better offensively and defensively than Clichy.. LB has become a pretty big concern to be honest. Clichy's demise is costing us more and more goals each season. Not the first name on the team sheet he once was. Although he probably still is in Wenger's eyes.

Baines is good going forward but he's a liability at the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Baines is good going forward but he's a liability at the back

Whereas Clichy is shít going forward and a massive liability at the back.

Baines would be a huge improvement on what Arsenal have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I thought he was going to kill the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Agree re manager but Baines would certainly be an improvement on Clichy who has been living off a good season 2/3 years ago and has been pure muck this season, and Gibbs cant stay fit or defend (sounds familiar doesnt it)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Speaking of anger etc, Arsenal are offering a free towel with a pre-order of the new home kit so ye may wipe the tears for next season.

gun__1304677206_mpu_300x2502.jpg

Arsenal throwing in the towel? Well I never.

I disagree, Clichy is a liability his time is up. As for Moyes, I rate him highly as a manager, he is very loyal, not a lick arse for Ferguson like half the league, very good on little money, and most importantly, he can fix the weaknesses in this current squad.

Tactically Wenger is clueless, and his stubborness is holding the club back.

I disagree, Clichy is a liability his time is up. As for Moyes, I rate him highly as a manager, he is very loyal, not a lick arse for Ferguson like half the league, very good on little money, and most importantly, he can fix the weaknesses in this current squad.

Tactically Wenger is clueless, and his stubborness is holding the club back.

I'd agree with most of this. I've felt Clichy has been a liability for a while and although I do agree that Moyes has an excellent attitude and record, I feel it would be a gamble to get him in.
    As for Wenger, I've felt for quite some time now that he wasn't right for the job anymore but that said, based on what he's been saying recently, maybe that stubborn side of him could go away this Summer and next season, because he seems to be accepting his own failings....admittance is the first step to recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Jesus that was an awful challenge on Gareth Bale.
    Retrospective punishment, whether the ref has acted in game or not, has to be brought in.
    A la, ramsay, diaby, eduardo etc, gareth bale is lucky he can walk again never mind play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

As an outsider looking in, the only managers that I could see definitely being an improvement on Wenger are worth replacing him with are:

Ferguson - not realistic
    Mourinho - not realistic
    Guardiola - not realistic
    Hiddink - won't leave his position with the Turkish FA until 2012 at least

Forget about the likes of Moyes. They're not good enough for Arsenal.

Joachim Low would be a very interesting choice IMO, but I'm not sure if he'd leave Germany.

Look, the problem is not Wenger IMO. Well, it kind of is but it's more down to the fact that he won't just go out and spend money on a CB, winger, CM and a striker who can score 20 + whilst staying fit all season rather than anything else.

Arsenal are a massive club and can attract the same players as the Manchester United's and Chelsea's. If he went out and bought say, for example, Samba/Lucio, Navas, Tiote and Eto'o it would help him so much. I'm sure he could recoup a decent amount of money from the deadwood in his squad and the board would earmark the rest of the required funds as I'm always reading that there's money available.

I'd stress to Arsenal fans that the grass is very rarely greener (especially if the likes of Moyes is the type of replacement that would be considered) and if Wenger goes it'll take a serious manager to replace him.

I actually think if Arsenal don't win anything next season he'll walk, so you'd be all better off just getting behind him, for one more season at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I'm happy to give wenger one more season to rectify the problems. Should we have another season like this it would be unforgivable.

• Advertisement

If we have another season like this we won't make top 4 imo

Papa Smut wrote: »
    If we have another season like this we won't make top 4 imo

People say that every year.

The problem is that we don't seem to be really progressing on from that.

People say it every year, true, but look at how we've performed since Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

most importantly, he can fix the weaknesses in this current squad.
    So Everton haven't had the same problems for the last 3 years of starting slowly and then being really solid from October onwards?
    The problem is that we don't seem to be really progressing on from that.
    To an extent though, every year that we stay at that level (i.e. qualify for CL) is vital in building the platform. I honestly think that even if Wenger wins nothing next year and walks, history is going to be an awful lot kinder to the last few years of his reign than a lot of Arsenal fans are being currently.

The man's building a platform for a generation of success and his own reputation is suffering from it. He could have been managing Madrid, Juve, France, Man City or Chelsea but he's stayed at Arsenal and laid the foundations of something great. I actually really want him to have a trophy to show for it more than I want it for the players - anyone who thinks he's been a failure the last few years would want their head examined if you ask me and I don't want them to have the 'no trophies' excuse anymore. Parts of this season have been poor but we're only really emerging from the rebuilding now and it's never once cost us CL revenue.

He's done brilliantly for Arsenal and my biggest relief is that the club seem to know what a good thing they've got right now.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    So Everton haven't had the same problems for the last 3 years of starting slowly and then being really solid from October onwards?

To an extent though, every year that we stay at that level (i.e. qualify for CL) is vital in building the platform. I honestly think that even if Wenger wins nothing next year and walks, history is going to be an awful lot kinder to the last few years of his reign than a lot of Arsenal fans are being currently.

The man's building a platform for a generation of success and his own reputation is suffering from it. He could have been managing Madrid, Juve, France, Man City or Chelsea but he's stayed at Arsenal and laid the foundations of something great. I actually really want him to have a trophy to show for it more than I want it for the players - anyone who thinks he's been a failure the last few years would want their head examined if you ask me and I don't want them to have the 'no trophies' excuse anymore. Parts of this season have been poor but we're only really emerging from the rebuilding now and it's never once cost us CL revenue.

He's done brilliantly for Arsenal and my biggest relief is that the club seem to know what a good thing they've got right now.

I absolutely agree with you. I also find it infuriating that people can't see the work Wenger is doing towards securing our success in the future. I much prefer having Wenger there to see the foundations are laid and that good level is maintained as opposed to someone coming in and spunking a load of cash and failing.

However I think it has got to the stage where we are reasonably safe in relation to our debt repayments for the stadium, and that now should be the time to push on and secure some trophies. And I really want Wenger to be the one to do this but if there is another candidate better capable of doing this that is available, then I'm afraid to say that I'd be ok with Wenger leaving at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

I absolutely agree with you. I also find it infuriating that people can't see the work Wenger is doing towards securing our success in the future. I much prefer having Wenger there to see the foundations are laid and that good level is maintained as opposed to someone coming in and spunking a load of cash and failing

Securing our future? More like halting it.

Wenger has some serious flaws. His squad-building is woeful. He never retains the right personnel when we lose important, experienced players. I fear greatly for the loss of Cesc Fabregas this summer.

Over the last number of years, the Arsenal squad has become less expensive and less experienced. We have a host of average players who are vastly overpaid for their talent (or lack of). We have an absence of leaders on the pitch. It's no surprise we have failed year in year out.

We have a loyal fanbase, but it's took a hammering in recent years. For anyone who attends Arsenal home games, they'll know the arguing that occurs each and every match nowadays. Pretty disgusting but at the same time understandable because people are fed up forking out money and investing in a club that won't invest properly into the team. Yes, it's noted that we've had restrictions on transfers due to our new stadium but the tough part to swallow is the fact that it's reported that the money is there to invest in the squad!!

I have never-ending respect for Wenger. After all, he's produced good results in recent times under a limited budget. But, for a team like the Arsenal, and their supporters, that's not enough. We are a world-class club side who should be winning major trophies. Our manager refuses to dip into the kitty for star players, yet he purchased an inexperienced centre half last season for £10m. Can we have further success under Wenger? I don't think so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Your criticism is entirely based on the assumption that the money to spend is actually there. Have you ever considered that it might not be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

PHB wrote: »
    Your criticism is entirely based on the assumption that the money to spend is actually there. Have you ever considered that it might not be?

I can't help but think it is not, or at least has not been and Wenger is simply towing the party line. If he came out and said, "Sorry guys, no money for transfers. The board is stingy." he'd soon be out of a job that he loves.
    Perhaps Kroenke will loosen the purse strings... That's my hope. Perhaps it's a fool's hope and I'm suffering from 'I want to believe' syndrome, but who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Paully D wrote: »

Ferguson - not realistic
    Mourinho - not realistic
    Guardiola - not realistic
    Hiddink - won't leave his position with the Turkish FA until 2012 at least

I think Guardiola is not that unrealistic.

He only signs one year contracts at Barcelona and I see him and Arsenal as a good fit some how.
    Fursttimer wrote: »

We are a world-class club side who should be winning major trophies.

We are a world class club because of Wenger.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement