Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

jmayo wrote: »
    And please FFS will you get real.
    Claiming that Ajax are not a big club unlike Arsenal shows a sever lack of football knowledge. :rolleyes:

Ajax are a massive club with a pedigree that Arsenal could only bloody dream of.
    Look at their list of honours, look at the list of players they have produced.
    They have produced some of the greatest players the world has ever seen, one of which Arsenal were lucky enough to be able to have play for them at the end of his career.

European Cup 1971, 1972, 1973
    Champions League 1995
    Intercontinental Cup 1972, 1995
    UEFA Cup 1992
    Cup Winners Cup 1987.
    European Super Cup 1973, 1995

Now Arsenal have won the following international trophies.
    Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1970 (which was precursor to UEFA Cup.)
    and
    Cup Winners Cup 1994.

Yeah I can see how you reckon Arseanl are massive global club way bigger than the above, what with all the shirts they sell. :rolleyes:

BTW my definition of how big a club is, actually also includes how successful they are and not just how many seats their stadium has or how many kids they con into buying a new shirt every year.
    You're confusing pedigree with size.

I never said Ajax aren't a big club, but these days they're a club with massive pedigree and rich history but one who is a considerable distance from the upper echelons of the game. Times change.

By the way, the constant use of rolleyes doesn't make you look clever, it makes you look like a condescending clown. For someone who likes to make jibes about other people's knowledgeability, you should probably realise that football didn't start in the 1960s. Arsenal were a big club long before that. Ceased to be for a while, and now are a big club again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He could have picked up a seasoned premiership old pro like Richard Dunne to try and shore up a sometimes very dodgy defense.
    But no he goes off and gets Squillaci who fair enough has Champion Legue experience and was part of that ever so successful French 2010 world cup squad.
    How would people rate Squillaci at this stage ?

Squillaci is our fourth choice CB. He started nearly all his games in the first half of the season, the half that left us in a pretty good position in the table.

Squillaci is not what went wrong this year.
    Yes Flamini last season was magnificent so why let him go ? Money I presume.
    He had proven to be a multi role player who provided what Arsenal have been severily lacking.

He only started playing his best football during the final year of his contract after Arsne had tried to sell him. AFAIK he wanted to be the best paid player in the club based on that and Wenger said no. He promptly left for Milan where upon starting a new contract, his performances dropped back again.

He was amazing for that season and it's a huge 'what if' but I think Wenger probably made the right call.

I don't think he (bendtner) will ever achieve as much as he thinks he will.
    I think he has major attitude problem bit like another ex Arsenal player who decided kicking and slapping was best way to beat Barca.

Dunno, think he could be very good for the right club who use him properly. I'm not sure about the second half of that bit, could you explain?

Try to be polite also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

gosplan wrote: »
    Dunno, think he could be very good for the right club who use him properly. I'm not sure about the second half of that bit, could you explain?

Try to be polite also.

I think hes alluding to Adebayor. OT but I absolutely hate this smilie :rolleyes:, so condescending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Richard Dunne lol he was sh*te this year, overweight and droped from the Villa team, please :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

cson wrote: »
    He is correct is his assertion; globally Arsenal are much much bigger than Ajax or Porto. We are a big club in terms of infrastructure, finances and to a certain extent trophies.

Whilst you can find clubs that have been more successful than Arsenal; as you outline Forest, Ajax and Porto have all won the European Cup but we have not then of course you'll be able to claim they are 'bigger' clubs by that measurement. But its misleading; any player from those clubs could be had by Arsenal if they wanted, I'm certain of that and most of them would like to join us all things being equal because we are on another level to their present clubs.

Right so a big club is the one with big stadium, big merchandise sales, infrastructure and most importantly big finances.
    So by that criteria Man City must now probably be one of the biggest clubs in the world. :D

Speaking of buying their players did Arsenal consider Suarez who would make a huge addition to the Arsenal frontline ?
    Here is an idea why not go buy Falcao this summer ?
    Ah but I guess Arsene doesn't want a good header of the ball who expects crosses to be whipped in from the wings.
    He will find someone on a free transfer that will get a few goals.
    Squillaci is our fourth choice CB. He started nearly all his games in the first half of the season, the half that left us in a pretty good position in the table.

Squillaci is not what went wrong this year.

True he is not the reason.
    The entire defense are suspect, otherwise why leak so many soft goals.
    Try to be polite also.

I am being polite.
    You should visit the politics forum sometime. :D

Arsenal fans appear to be very sensitive, much like the Arsenal boss me thinks. ;)

All I am getting from this thread is that a lot of Arsenal fans are happy to stay as is and they believe that some day plan Arsene is going to come good and they will dominate the premiership and Europe with their beautiful football.
    Feck it, it reminds me of the old Irish attitude of self congratulatory backslapping for doing alright.
    Wenger has been a fantastic manager, but looking at it over last few years he is going nowhere.
    I believe he is stubbornly persevering with his grand plan and not putting a together a real team with backbone.

He has been given this luxury because of his past achievements.

That would be great if he was getting closer to his ultimate goal, but I think looking at how they finished the second half of the season that goal is as far away as it was a few years ago.
    Maybe his only goal has been to play attractive football, keep getting champion league action/money and help pay off the debts.
    In that case he is a roaring success.

Arsenal have been getting Champions league action upto this, but look around.
    Liverpool are very very likely going to be top 4 next year.
    So will Man city and could be title challengers if they get a proper manager.
    Spurs have invested a huge amount and should be top 4.
    Then you have old reliables of United and Chelsea.

If Arsenal do not shape up there is a danger they will be the ones facing Europa league.

People are all talking about how Arsenal are huge global club, but yet they are then ok that they are winning shag all.
    Well they do finish in champions league, but they not really title contenders.

Two clubs I mentioned above may not have financial clout that Arsenal have at the moment, but have they gone so long without winning something and leaving the same manager in charge ?
    And please lets leave Forest out of it, as they were only a temporary bright blip on the football world.

Anyway the above is just an opinion, but I would be interested what the opinions of some were this time last year and what will their opinions be this time next year if Arsenal have gone another year with more dust accumulating in the trophy cabinet.
    Meanwhile one of those smaller clubs will probably have been admiring a European trophy for a year in their cabinet.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

If a different manager was in charge, I feel pretty confident in saying Arsenal would have lost that CL spot. Who's to say we'd even be capable of mounting a title challenge today given the flirtation with insolvency that was the Highbury loan.

The club isn't exactly underachieving at the moment either, given that on average we've had o wait 6 to 7 seasons between it's periods of success. While Arsenal continue to mount title challenges and keep themselves a permanent CL fixture, I see no reason to dispense with Wenger. We might do better, but we could also do a lot worse, let's keep that in mind.

+1

Most sense I've seen posted in this thread in quite a while actually.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I wouldnt even dignify this season or last by calling it a title challenge.

Not while you've fallen by the wayside in March. Chelsea have been in it to the last stages every year without fail, we always fold long before May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

<...........TL;DR.............>

Look you can spin it whatever way you want but Arsenal are a huge club. We were plodding along looking likely to be another Everton/Aston Villa before AW took over; he delivered immense success in the first 10 years of his reign - we were either winning, in a Cup final or at the business end of the league up until the last day. From 2006 until now he's embarked upon something of an experiment partially enforced by the financial constraints of building the new stadium. He bought the best youth talent he could get and tried to mould them into his vision of what a team should be. On paper it's actually an excellent idea but in practice its proven not quite so unfortunately. He has refused to spend money to address the known flaws in the side because he clearly thinks the players he has in those positions will come good - which is understandable because why put so much emphasis on youth development and then buy in players anyway?

So essentially the youth project has failed. Which brings us onto the next step for Arsenal; we know money is there, we have a decent financial foundation and the flaws in the side have been glaringly shown up for all to see. So next season is the acid test as far as Arsene Wenger's reign is concerned; should we arrive at the same position next year then it will be time for him to go. However he is an intelligent man and you would hope he will address the flaws. The man isn't afraid to spend for the right player either; he was willing to drop £20m on Pepe Reina but Liverpool rejected it.

Personally I feel we need about 5 players - LB, CB, Winger and Striker; [Izaguirre, Vertonghen, Gervinho and Falcao being my preferences] in addition to a more emphasis on defensive coaching, returning Alex Song to DM duties, some psychology coaching on how to keep a lead and a quicker tempo in our play - we need to overwhelm teams instead of knocking it about flacidly allowing them to build 2 banks of 4 in front of us.

Btw wrt Spurs, one season qualifying for the Champions League one season is a huge success story nevermind the fortune they've spent trying whereas we've spent net **** all and qualified for the last x amount of years on the bounce.

Pull the ****ing other one tbh.

• Advertisement

Look you can spin it whatever way you want but Arsenal are a huge club. We were plodding along looking likely to be another Everton/Aston Villa before AW took over;
    :mad:

Tired of seeing the same old stuff from Wenger defenders. We were not plodding along at all like Villa or Everton, we were the 3rd biggest club in England before he took over by a long way, and guess what we still are now!

Too much disrespect of George Graham on here, it's not far fetched to say he was an even better manager than Wenger based on trophies won, and the fact the team werent a laughing stock like now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Graham was pitiful as Arsenal manager towards the end.

The team were completely unadventurous to watch in his latter days and a complete bore tbh. Not to mention Graham's putting transfer funds into his own pocket. We are are a completely different club now than we were then and although its impossible to say for sure, I doubt we would be as competitive as we are without the transformation Wenger has brought to the club.

greendom wrote: »
    Graham was pitiful as Arsenal manager towards the end.
    Some might say we've been just as pitiful towards the end of Wenger's reign.

If you measure football by trophies, Graham was every bit as good an Arsenal manager as Wenger.

I'm not one to care anything about pretty football, theres no point passing triangles in your own half, but taking until near 70 mins to register a shot on target and getting stuffed by the other side who just sit back and counter, ala Stoke last week. That isn't pretty football and this season is the worst football I can remember us playing under Wenger.

At the end of the day, it's not about poor mans "Barcelona" football or the accounts, it's about winning games and trophies. In my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yes we were truly awful on Sunday, no denying that. I still believe Wenger's the man to turn it round though.

greendom wrote: »
    Yes we were truly awful on Sunday, no denying that. I still believe Wenger's the man to turn it round though.
    We'll know by late July.

If the dross haven't been shipped out and appropriate players brought in, nothing will change. Because his management style certainly won't.

DB10 wrote: »
    Some might say we've been just as pitiful towards the end of Wenger's reign.

If you measure football by trophies, Graham was every bit as good an Arsenal manager as Wenger.

I'm not one to care anything about pretty football, theres no point passing triangles in your own half, but taking until near 70 mins to register a shot on target and getting stuffed by the other side who just sit back and counter, ala Stoke last week. That isn't pretty football and this season is the worst football I can remember us playing under Wenger.

At the end of the day, it's not about poor mans "Barcelona" football or the accounts, it's about winning games and trophies. In my opinion anyway.

Who do you want in so? Seeing as all you've done so far is bitched about replacing AW.

• Advertisement

Who do you want in so? Seeing as all you've done so far is bitched about replacing AW.
    Bitched? Believe or not, alot of people are questioning the position of the manager.

Bitching it is not, and if this is the terminology you wish to use, then you won't be debating anything with me.

It's a forum for debate, people have differing views, which you learn to deal with. Just because you have a different opinion, doesn't make others less valued.

Bitched? Believe or not, alot of people are questioning the position of the manager.

Bitching it is not, and if this is the terminology you wish to use, then you won't be debating anything with me.

It's a forum for debate, people have differing views, which you learn to deal with. Just because you have a different opinion, doesn't make others less valued.

So no potential successors in mind so?

Graaaaaand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If you are of the opinion to get rid of Arsene Wenger then I think that's a ridiculous opinion to hold. He has done wonders for that club, and I think there's a strong possibility the club could go downhill if you were to remove him in the middle of his current project at the club.

Besides, who in the name of God do you replace him with?

So no potential successors in mind so?

Graaaaaand.
    I'll discuss things with respectful posters like I've previously done so. I'm not the only one asking questions of the manager, believe or not the majority of fans and supporters groups are.

flahavaj wrote: »
    DB10 wants reasonable debate. LOL.
    Isnt there a few goals compilations from Ronaldo on yutube to keep you and your fanboyish ways busy.

• Advertisement

It's easy for Manchester United fans to sit there and preach, with the greatest manager of all time.

Yet a few years ago when the went a year or two without success the majority were calling for his head and plenty on this forum from what I've heard.

I'd like to see would they have the same thoughts after the last 6 years. Probably not but some how I'll see some smart alec hypocritical reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's easy for Manchester United fans to sit there and preach, with the greatest manager of all time.

Yet a few years ago when the went a year or two without success the majority were calling for his head and plenty on this forum from what I've heard.

I'd like to see would they have the same thoughts after the last 6 years. Probably not but some how I'll see some smart alec hypocritical reply.

You're right, there were some morons calling for Fergie's head at times.

And they were proven wrong, just like I think you will be with Wenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Isnt there a few goals compilations from Ronaldo on yutube to keep you and your fanboyish ways busy.

I'll discuss things with respectful posters like I've previously done so. I'm not the only one asking questions of the manager, believe or not the majority of fans and supporters groups are.

Mmmmm'kay.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Mmmmm'kay.
    I have respect for your views. But if you want to post

"DB wants respectful debate LOL"

etc and other stuff then I will respond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Outstanding.

Speaking of respectful posters as you so put it...

You changed a thread title 6-8 times yesterday from:

Roy Keane slams plastic paddies to
    Roy Keane is a thug and a knobhead to
    Roy Keane talks a lot of shíte to
    Roy Keane slams plastic paddies.

Regardless of what you may think of somebody, being spineless with the title changes is pretty poor form.

My good sir, respect is something your posts are not worthy of. :)

You're right, there were some morons calling for Fergie's head at times.

And they were proven wrong, just like I think you will be with Wenger.
    Wenger is not near the same level of Ferguson, and he wont be at Arsenal much longer anyway imo.

But I would happily eat my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The majority of fans are still behind Wenger, but can accept that things need to happen on the pitch sooner rather than later if he's to stay at the club.

Anyway, you keep banging on about "debate", but when it comes to taking opinions on board, you're not doing so well. I think you'll find that people are more fed up with the fact that you're just relentlessly hammering out the same argument than the actual point that you're trying to get across. The whole "you Wengerites :rolleyes:" crap doesn't do you any favours either. So, as an Arsenal fan, who's as dissatisfied as you are with how this season has panned out, I'm asking you to give it a rest please.

Even a day would be great, thanks!

d22ontour wrote: »
    Outstanding.

Speaking of respectful posters as you so put it...

You changed a thread title 6-8 times yesterday from:

Roy Keane is a thug and a knobhead to
    Roy Keane talks a lot of shíte to
    Roy Keane slams plastic paddies.

Regardless of what you may think of somebody, being spineless with the title changes is pretty poor form.

My good sir, respect is something your posts are not worthy of. :)

You quoted one of my posts and then never addressed it.

Your post is a baseless lie, and has nothing to do with my quoted post, this thread or topic at hand.

So if you want to contribute to debate re Wenger, do so, otherwise you know where the door is.

L'prof wrote: »
    The majority of fans are still behind Wenger, but can accept that things need to happen on the pitch sooner rather than later if he's to stay at the club.

They are not in my opinion from those I know and those on every other forum. This forum seems to be more pro Wenger then most.

Anyway with regards your second point fair enough, but I was just respectfully address points re the manager, which some people just don't want to see and react angrily to, taking it personally for some reason.

Meh, I'm out and I've been sent a interesting PM, saying not to bother with the mini thanks whoring Utd gang who seem to run this forum without reproach.

I'll let them at it so.

• Advertisement

You're offering no solutions to the problem that you and some other posters have with the manager. Debate or no debate you can't outline why Arsene should go without considering who would replace him, and you haven't offered anybody as of yet.

Personally, atm there ain't a problem but if there's Deja Vú this time next year then there will be for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Meh, I'm out and I've been sent a interesting PM, saying not to bother with the mini thanks whoring Utd gang who seem to run this forum without reproach.

I'll let them at it so.

LOL.

Don't let the door hit you :)

I'll let them at it so.

I'd be surprised if the United gang were let run the place with 3 Liverpool mods knocking about. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It's nice to get a good preview of what we're in for over the summer months. Silly season is already upon us it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Everyone just chill the fúck out. Talk Arsenal in here or take it to PM.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Everyone just chill the fúck out. Talk Arsenal in here or take it to PM.

We've been bold. :o

Is Frisbee deleting posts or are others deleting their own to try make me look bad.

Is Frisbee deleting posts or are others deleting their own to try make me look bad.

I've deleted about a dozen posts from numerous posters instead of infracting people. Let's just keep it on topic from here on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bah, missed all the handbags.

As I see it there are two types of Arsenal supporter on this thread.

1: Wenger out
    2: Wenger needs to change
    All I am getting from this thread is that a lot of Arsenal fans are happy to stay as is

From reading the forum for a while, this is way wide of the mark. Every single Arsenal supporter here acknowledges the need for change in the way things are done at the club. All we disagree about is whether Wenger should be allowed to attempt that change or whether someone fresh should be brought in.

Are you an Arsenal supporter by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

We were plodding along looking likely to be another Everton/Aston Villa before AW took over; he delivered immense success in the first 10 years of his reign - we were either winning, in a Cup final or at the business end of the league up until the last day.

Ah come on Graham's era had been sucessful for the most part.
    Ok the football was cr** but he was reasonably sucessful.

The problem for Wenger is the advantages he had over the first 7/8 years have evaporated.
    His early teams were built on the solidity of a defense from the Graham era.
    Added to that Wenger picked up a lot of guys whose careers were stagnating and he knew how to get the best out of them.
    Over last 7 or 8 years when Wenger calls looking for a player it piques the interest of other clubs and ups the price immediately.

Also along the way other clubs have adopted his approach to looking after the players.
    The days have gone where players are stuffing their gobs with fryups after training.
    Then add in fact that Chelsea, Man City and even Spurs have had fortunes at their disposal to spend.
    From 2006 until now he's embarked upon something of an experiment partially enforced by the financial constraints of building the new stadium. He bought the best youth talent he could get and tried to mould them into his vision of what a team should be. On paper it's actually an excellent idea but in practice its proven not quite so unfortunately. He has refused to spend money to address the known flaws in the side because he clearly thinks the players he has in those positions will come good - which is understandable because why put so much emphasis on youth development and then buy in players anyway?

So essentially the youth project has failed. Which brings us onto the next step for Arsenal; we know money is there, we have a decent financial foundation and the flaws in the side have been glaringly shown up for all to see.

Now we are in agreement.
    Personally I feel we need about 5 players - LB, CB, Winger and Striker; [Izaguirre, Vertonghen, Gervinho and Falcao being my preferences] in addition to a more emphasis on defensive coaching, returning Alex Song to DM duties, some psychology coaching on how to keep a lead and a quicker tempo in our play - we need to overwhelm teams instead of knocking it about flacidly allowing them to build 2 banks of 4 in front of us.

Gervinho could be an option, who else is interested ?
    Would the likes of Chelsea be interested in which case they have the Ivory Coast connection for the moment anyway ?
    Vertonghen could be a good buy to partner his old buddy Vermaelen, but City are supposedly still chasing him.
    Izaguirre has been tearing the SPL up, but he is not half way through 4 year contract AFAIK.
    From what I have seen of Falcao recently he is one very good header of the ball and not afraid to get into the box on the end of things.
    Of course Arsenal would need players to just whip the ball in there quick smart rather than trying to work it through the middle.
    Then again he may want to stay and play CL with Porto.
    He would be better off staying in Porto if Wenger doesn't bother properly filling in the holes.

I think one of the best things that could happen is the sale of Fabregas and the use of the money plus a bit more to purchase 5 or 6 decent players including ones with solid Premiership experience.
    The best bit of business this year was the sale of Torres and the purchase of Suarez.
    Note I didn't include Andy Carrol.
    Btw wrt Spurs, one season qualifying for the Champions League one season is a huge success story nevermind the fortune they've spent trying whereas we've spent net **** all and qualified for the last x amount of years on the bounce.

Pull the ****ing other one tbh.

With the amount of money Spurs have spent they have to be qualifying for CL.
    My point is they are in the mix for the next couple of years.
    Look at their squad and they have some damm good players.

Oh they have managed to win something, at Arsenal's expense as well, in the last few years.
    Mind you we know what Wenger thinks of the Carling Cup.
    I believe if they had won that cup, the end of the season would have been totally different.
    They do not have the leaders to help them pick themselves up after that defeat and it showed.

If the seaon had gone on much longer or that cup final was earlier I think Arsenal may not have been in the top 4.
    The only win they had in March was against Leyton Orient.
    Ok they lost to Barca and man utd, but they could only draw with Sunderland and West Brom.
    In April the only win was against Blackpool.
    :mad:

Tired of seeing the same old stuff from Wenger defenders. We were not plodding along at all like Villa or Everton, we were the 3rd biggest club in England before he took over by a long way, and guess what we still are now!

Too much disrespect of George Graham on here, it's not far fetched to say he was an even better manager than Wenger based on trophies won, and the fact the team werent a laughing stock like now.

Graham was sucessful, but how much did he do for the growth of Arsenal ?
    I will admit I detested his Arsenal.
    Wenger did a lot for Arsenal and English football.

A truely great manager realises when something is not working and makes the necessary changes to remedy it.
    Sometimes I reckon Wenger sees giving up on his youth ideal as admitting failure and he just refuses to contenance change.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭CharlesHaughey

Arsene Wenger should leave IMO. It is obvious he isn't doing enough to get trophies. He still manager to quality for the CL every year, that still qualifies as "success", even though he doesn't get the team very far in it.

Marcello Lippi might be a good candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ah come on Graham's era had been sucessful for the most part.
    Ok the football was cr** but he was reasonably sucessful.

The problem for Wenger is the advantages he had over the first 7/8 years have evaporated.
    His early teams were built on the solidity of a defense from the Graham era.
    Added to that Wenger picked up a lot of guys whose careers were stagnating and he knew how to get the best out of them.
    Over last 7 or 8 years when Wenger calls looking for a player it piques the interest of other clubs and ups the price immediately.

I see this argument a lot but how many defenders from the Graham era played in the invincibles?

Lauren, Toure, Campbell were all signed by Wenger as well as Lehmann and Cole came through the youth team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I see this argument a lot but how many defenders from the Graham era played in the invincibles?

Lauren, Toure, Campbell were all signed by Wenger as well as Lehmann and Cole came through the youth team.

Its actually like one of them things that have a place in the thread on common misinterpratations, people think if they hear it and repeat it enough it must be true :mad:

Strangely enough our unbeaten season featured a back five constructed by Arsene Wenger which rather makes shite of the had-the-defence-handed-to-him argument.

• Advertisement

Strangely enough our unbeaten season featured a back five constructed by Arsene Wenger which rather makes shite of the had-the-defence-handed-to-him argument.

It's also strange how easily and quickly he dismantled that entire defence, and yet replacements were so poor, the likes of Campbell and Lehmann have had to be brought back years later, when they actually never should have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Lippi always takes over from Wenger in FM... and he always does crap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

My Arsenal X1 for Next Season Let me know What ya's think

GK - Szczęsny (id like given or buffon but if wenger keeps the faith,which he will,Szczęsny will be no.1,which id be happy enough with)

RB - Sagna

CB -vermaelen

CB - Jan Vertonghen (From ajax quality centre half)

LB - Clichy (same as Szczęsny i think wenger will keep the faith even tho alot of talk about being axed,we have gibbs aswel if he stays fit he cud really push clichy for starting spot)

DM - jack wilshere

DM - Scott Parker (arsenal need him,pure leader and great tackler,better then song imo)

AM - Fabregas (i think he will stay for one more year,barca dont need to splash 45m on him,if real madrid win La Liga next year they wil buy him)

RAM - Walcott

LAM - Nasri

ST - Van Persie (but wenger will hopefully buy Falcao to push RVP,34 goals in 42 apps last season and 37goals in 42 this season)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gee I hadn't considered it, but Scott Parker would be a really interesting signing for Arsenal. I think you also need a new CB as you suggest, but a new striker who can replace when when Van Persie gets injured, not if :)

If Parker was 4/5 years younger it would be a good signing. As it is though he's starting to become very injury prone and that's the last thing this squad needs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement