Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It is a fockin joke that city could now nip 3rd!!! Not a arsenal fan soft spot for them alright really hope ya's hold on to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It has been confirmed that he will stick around for at least another year.

Will be like a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What will it take for Wenger to be shown the door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I can just picture Arsene beggin Pat to stick around

" We are so close Pat, I need you more than ever"

"I can't take it anymore Arsene, I can't stand to see you hurt"

"We won't hurt next year, we will create a football utopia, remember Pat we said it after the FA Cup final"

"But that's 6 years ago Arsene, times have changed, look around you, everything has changed."

" Except you Pat.....and Gael and Cesc"

" But your selling them both this summer the only players who have ever won something in our team, how can we go on"

"What about everyone who has won the Emirates Cup Pat ? I can do it but not without you!"

"I'll stay for one more year Arsene on one condition"

"Anything Pat, Anything"

"Keep playing Nicklas on the wing, I've hated him ever since he wore those pink boots"

" Oh Pat Zis is such excellent news we must tell everyone immediately"

That's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

Seems to me the move to the emirates was the worst mistake we made.It was meant to generate huge money so we could compete with the big clubs but all that has happend is the board and shareholders have got richer,and we have lost the fear factor we had playing in highbury.

Would have been better off staying in highbury and trying to win more which we were doing.

Arsenal before emirates compared to arsenal now.......what a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shows how bad things have got, that a home defeat doesn't even hurt anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

feeling fairly sick this evening lads. Horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    Our form since losing against Birmingham:

LWDLLDDWDDLWLL

Pathetic.

3 wins??? 3 fucking wins out of 14??? I knew it was bad, but I never realised it was that bad. Wenger's "positivity" really grates at times like these!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Trying to be positive for a moment, it might be to our benefit if Blackburn got relegated next week. I don't know how strapped for cash they would be but it would certainly be easier to prise Samba and Jones from their clutches if they were a Championship team.

I'm not si sure it's a positive, but surely Wenger can't look at this dip in form and feel satisfied that we have what it takes to win the league next season and will bring in players to reflect that...surely???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Guillem Balague on sky earlier said Wenger is interested in taking Poulsen from Liverpool to add a bit of steel to the midfield! He reckons 7-8 million!

Guillem Balague on sky earlier said Wenger is interested in taking Poulsen from Liverpool to add a bit of steel to the midfield! He reckons 7-8 million!

Wonderbar...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I reckon Liverpool will have to pay Arsenal a lot more than that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

RVP going grey, poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal should give that 6% increase in ST back to the fans imo

JPA wrote: »

Has been for years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

JPA wrote: »

I don't blame him.

The form since the CC Final has been really alaeming and points to some kind of deep fundamental problem within the current panel of players. it really has been a massive meltdown since then, culminating in ye possibly having to qualify for the CL in the Summer.

Its hard to know what the solution is, but theres no denying this bunch of players have serious questions to be answered in terms of their mental strength.

If it was any other team, there'd be question marks over whether the manager has lost the dressing room and if they are playing for him anymore.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Papa Smut wrote: »
    If it was any other team, there'd be question marks over whether the manager has lost the dressing room and if they are playing for him anymore.
    Yep.

I'm still backing Wenger (just about), but I am beginning to fear that he's entered terminal decline and there may be no turning it around now. I hope he buys quality players this summer and wins something next season but it doesn't look like the players believe in him (or themselves) anymore, and if that's the case then signings won't make any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

L'prof wrote: »
    I'm not si sure it's a positive, but surely Wenger can't look at this dip in form and feel satisfied that we have what it takes to win the league next season and will bring in players to reflect that...surely???

My thoughts exactly, in a f**ked up angry way i was glad they lost (but only if still manage 3rd), they deserved to lose and proved to themselves and everyone that they are just not good enough to challenge for the title next season. If we had good form the last few games then wenger would be blind to the problem but theres no hiding from these results and hopefully its the kick up the arse they need over the summer.

• Advertisement

Failing to top our champions league group pitted us against Barca, I'd actually laugh if we finished 4th and were drawn against Bayern in the qualifier!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd say Wenger has another season for me but after today I'm not so sure. He has another three and a half months of my unquestionable backing. But if he refuses to spend big in the transfer market yet again and buy unproven Ligue 2 players, old journeymen or haggle over half a million instead of just going for it I'll start to lose faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

I'd say Wenger has another season for me but after today I'm not so sure. He has another three and a half months of my unquestionable backing. But if he refuses to spend big in the transfer market yet again and buy unproven Ligue 2 players, old journeymen or haggle over half a million instead of just going for it I'll start to lose faith.

Never thought I would see you say this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Whats the common consensus on what the squad needs lads?

I think ye need another solid CB (Cahill?), a left back (Baines/Enrique?) a guy who'll sit and destroy in midfield (Tiote?) and some genuine width (who knows?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

flahavaj wrote: »

I think ye need another solid CB (Cahill?), a left back (Baines/Enrique?) a guy who'll sit and destroy in midfield (Tiote?) and some genuine width (who knows?).

We need to bring in an out and out winger and a top quality striker (Benzema being my number one realistic choice) and go back to 4-4-fúcking-2.

flahavaj wrote: »

I agree.

(and possibly a new gaffer :()

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

This summer is absolutely huge for Wenger and I believe he will be quite active this summer. I also firmly believe that Fabregas will still be at the club next season, but of course there will be another summer of speculation of will he, wont he.

My main reasons for thinking that Fabregas will still be here is that he still has four years left on his contract, Barcelona wont stump up nearly enough cash and if Wenger sells him then I believe the fans will definitely turn on him and many season tickets wont be renewed. Its vital that the squad and team is strengthened and definitely not weakened. Selling Fabregas will weaken the squad and I honestly dont know what Wenger could do to fix the situation if that happened because as good as Wilshere and Ramsey are, they are not at the level of Fabregas yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

We need to bring in an out and out winger and a top quality striker (Benzema being my number one realistic choice) and go back to 4-4-fúcking-2.

My problem or worry of going back to 442 is that we will most likely have less possession than we have now and that doesnt bode well for the defensive side of our game because when Arsenal dont have the ball the defensive weakness of the whole team gets shown up.

I agree though that a new striker is needed as V.Persie will unfortunately probably pick up injuries and a winger who can beat players consistently so that we will cause teams more worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Papa Smut wrote: »

I said this months ago and nobody agreed. There's an attitude of "we dont care anymore" among those players. Wenger just cant motivate them anymore. They've still plenty to play for, but turned up yesterday looking like they were already on holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Its obvious a number of players aren't playing for him anyway. But is it me or is the football we play now really not that good? Its not quick, the passing is slow, its not slick and we aren't direct enough when moving forward with it. Its just labour passing now.

For me, Wenger has ran out of ideas and you can tell with his body language. For me, we need change to help win a trophy and make progress in the league. We will probably finish 4th now and we finished 3rd last season. That is not progress and obviously won nothing again. A top 2 finish and a cup this season would of been excellent. But again, Wenger messed that up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭G1032

Failing to top our champions league group pitted us against Barca, I'd actually laugh if we finished 4th and were drawn against Bayern in the qualifier!!!

Can that happen? Will Arsenal and Bayern not be seeded? Nothing would surprise me at this stage though

G1032 wrote: »
    Can that happen? Will Arsenal and Bayern not be seeded? Nothing would surprise me at this stage though

Don't think so:
    Wiki wrote:
    Third qualifying round

The third qualifying round will be split into two separate sections: one for champions and one for non-champions. The losing teams in both sections will enter the play-off round of the 2010–11 UEFA Europa League. The first legs were played on 27 and 28 July, and the second legs were played on 3 and 4 August 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

G1032 wrote: »

The draw is unseeded as far as I know.

The CL qualifier is seeded.

At least it was in 2009 when we played Celtic (Arsenal, Stuttgart, Fiorentina, Atletico and Lyon were seeds) and in 2010 (Spurs, Ajax, Zenit, Werder and Sevilla).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can't wait for this season to be over.

It's gone as wrong as it's ever gone for Arsne but he deserves a chance to make it right. Next season will either be his most refreshing or his last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

It's embarrassing at this stage. Wenger (rightfully) has plenty of support and plenty of people defending him here but my god his players really have done him no favours in the last few months. Nor has Wenger himself to be fair.

The players are lost. For years they have been hailed publicly by Wenger (and probably privately too), he NEVER criticises them in public- something I absolutely agree with so long as he gives them a bollocking in private when required and he has said so many times that they are close to winning that trophy that will be the catalyst for a few years of domination, for the last few years; "We will deliver this season".

And the players bought into it. They appreciate Wenger for having faith in them, for giving them confidence, for having faith in a young player by not going after experienced players who will push them down the pecking order or "kill" them as Wenger has so often said.

For 3/4 years the players bought that- then came the Carling cup final- this is it- this is the day this team is born; it starts now. But they lost; and all of a sudden doubt starts to plant itself in the players minds, and at a time when Wenger probably needed to read the riot act, take the players aside and give them the mother of all bollockings to lift them out of their self pity spiral, all they have been getting in the last few months is the same old public backing, bizarre hailing of their mental strength, bemoaning of referee decisions and bad luck, no taking responsibility whatsoever.

I'm not saying Wenger should criticise the team publicly (though maybe he should?) but why should they change anything and cop the hell on when Wenger still insists on praising and defending them despite the fact they clearly don't deserve it?

Lastly; FAR too much focus on Wenger. At the end of the day, the players are being paid massive money to play for this club. If a man is being paid at least 50K a week, the work they do MUST reflect the money they get paid to do what they do. How many of our players have actually earned their money in the last 3 months? 3 or 4 tops. Even if they are starting to lose faith in the manager they have no excuse in my opinion. For 50K a week you have to be professional enough to cop on and get over things like that.

The CL qualifier is seeded.
    At least it was in 2009 when we played Celtic (Arsenal, Stuttgart, Fiorentina, Atletico and Lyon were seeds) and in 2010 (Spurs, Ajax, Zenit, Werder and Sevilla).

See my post above, the system has changed to ensure that mmore smaller teams who've won their league have a better chance of making it to the group stages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Its obvious a number of players aren't playing for him anyway. But is it me or is the football we play now really not that good? Its not quick, the passing is slow, its not slick and we aren't direct enough when moving forward with it. Its just labour passing now.

Agree with that.

We've been playing **** for a while. We saw a flicker of the old Arsenal against Barcelona at home in the 2-1 hitting them on the break. Man would I love to get back to that.

See my post above, the system has changed to ensure that mmore smaller teams who've won their league have a better chance of making it to the group stages!
    It's seeded within that system.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

gosplan wrote: »
    Can't wait for this season to be over.

It's gone as wrong as it's ever gone for Arsne but he deserves a chance to make it right. Next season will either be his most refreshing or his last.

Agree 100% man.
    Hopefully the sight of the majority of the team not giving a toss will force him to make BIG changes in summer. if he fails to see the giant problems we have and address them then it really will be time for him to go.
    I'm as big a Wenger fan as they come, so I want to see him have one last stab at it next season. Unless he can make a marked improvement next season I will reluctantly join the 'Wenger out' brigade.

Feel really bad for the fans who spent big money on tickets for the Villa game hoping that we'd still be in with a shout for the league, only to see that miserable performance.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Feel really bad for the fans who spent big money on tickets for the Villa game hoping that we'd still be in with a shout for the league, only to see that miserable performance.

Actually just watched the highlights and looked up stats. I take it back. WTF was that ref smoking? Not giving an obvious penalty/red card for Dunne's missed tackle and disallowing Chamakh's perfectly good goal. Inability to implement the offside trap notwithstanding, we definitely should have won taht game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It has been poor recently but l think people forget too quickly that we played well for the first 6 months of the season and are still second in the league for goals scored.

My main gripe with Wenger and the board and the players is this and it has been this for a good long time now.

When players put on that Arsenal shirt. They are playing for the club and should respect it and run themselves into the ground for it. Like many generations did before them. Many of these players have some real football ability but boy do a lot of them let themselves down and let the club down with pathetic performances. And a lot of it comes about because of a lack of bottle and a certain mentality to push on and try to win trophies and to become the best.

Arsene Wenger has been a fantastic manager for us and is a club legend and will go down as one of our greatest managers, if not the best manager in our history to many people. The problem with Wenger is. Wenger is not changing anything in the way this team plays. He is not doing his job by actually being a manager. A managers job is to manage and use tactics. Watching this Arsenal team and Wenger on the sidelines. We don't see anything tactical at all, never mind actually using tactics to win games. Wenger is just throwing players on the pitch and telling them to get on with it without any proper instructions.

Walcott is a good example. Walcott is just being thrown out onto the wing, he is then trying to dribble (something which he can't do) and is making ****e cross after ****e cross. It really is an embarrassment at the present moment watching Walcott and Wengers complete refusal to do something different with him. Change something in his game, play him upfront, with two strikers. Anything to just change it.

But he doesn't change it, he just leaves it as it is on the pitch, regardless of the score line and hopes for a miracle. And even if he does make changes and changes the formation, he leaves it very late until the game is nearly over. It is plain bad management and is on the line of neglect for his team and football club.

And then you talk about our style of football. If you are going to play good attacking football, then play good attacking football. Make sure your passing is quick, slick and have threats upfront. Have some proper pace in the team, good technical players who can use and distribute the ball. What we have now is slow labour passing, constant square passing in midfield, no one willing to take a risk with enough direct passes, next to no shooting from midfield in a broad sense. Too many times do we see players looking for that extra pass instead of the shot.

Why is a manager who basis his philosophy on attacking football got his team playing really drab football? If your going to play attacking football, play attacking football, have your teams going for it, have them pushing forward and getting the ball into the box and putting defences under pressure. Our attack doesn't do that, our midfield doesn't do that.

There is no balance with us. We have footballing centre halfs trying to play as a defence like we play in Spain. We can't defend from set pieces, our defensive line is unbelievably bad and our work rate off the ball is like a laurel and hardy sketch. Our goal keepers in the last 3+ seasons alone, should have had the police checking into Wengers home to check if he isn't taking any illegal substances.

You then have to discuss our board. ST prices have went up to 6%. The fans are obviously pissed off with this and they believe they don't get anything back. Supporting the club is what we will always do, be it by vocal support or by buying the merchandise and thus giving money to the club. It all counts.

But our board don't go out of the way to help bring in better players, they are beyond greedy with money and the people on the board are proper planks and the relationship between them and Arsene Wenger is obviously not working. Instead of spending some proper money and speculating to accumulate in the transfer market, we spend our money on players who frankly aren't good enough.

Sébastien Squillaci and Laurent Koscielny aren't good enough to play for Arsenal Football Club. They aren't good enough as centre backs to play at the top level, they lose concentration, they aren't good in the air, they aren't strong enough, quick enough, intelligent enough. If the board and Wenger would work together to go out and help sign us a world class central defender who can help us deal with balls into our box, help us deal with strong forwards and more importantly, be a major leader for the team and have a bit about him in a vocal sense. Be able to organise the back four on the ground, not to mention being able to follow defensive instructions.

These are all important ingredients to getting a top defender into the club and how to build a world class defence. Most teams which win trophies are built on a solid defence. We don't have that. The board does not do enough in the transfer market and the fans are seeing this now and no wonder many of them are venting their anger and a few hundred in a protest will grow if it continues like this. If the neglect and the bad decisions from our manager and the board, continue as it is, you will get more people protesting, you will get less people attending the games in a form of protest and you will get more angry Arsenal fans.

Wenger is not doing enough in his role as football manager for this club and is severely lacking in the tactical department. The manager can make all the difference in the world with key tactical decisions on the pitch and signings. Wenger has not got the signings right in the last few years. That much is clear.

He is accepting mediocrity as it is. Arsenal FC should be aspiring to greater things and looking to push to winning a trophy and using it as a foundation to launch for other trophies and look to keep on improving and win our number 14 and then 15 and then 16. To become the best. It is what Herbert Chapman set out to do and should always be our aim.

The board has massive decisions this summer to make. Decisions which will determine if we will win a trophy or not next season. It is critical for us next season to win a trophy. If we don't, we could be in serious decline and be out of the running for trophies for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just spunking a load of money on a defender isn't going to fix all the defensive problems or guarantee a player that wont make mistakes.

David Luiz cost over £20m and you could arguably say his defensive error cost Chelsea the league the other week.

[edit] I should probably clarify that I agree with a lot of what you said but I think people are far too hyperbolic in their judgments.

It's seeded within that system.

I don't think it is, but I could be wrong:
    Wiki wrote:
    5 of the remaining ten qualifying places are granted to the winners of a four round qualifying tournament between the remaining 39 or 38 national champions, within which those champions from associations with higher coefficients receive byes to later rounds. The other 5 are granted to the winners of a two round qualifying tournament between the 15 clubs from the associations ranked 1-15, which have qualified based upon finishing 2nd-4th in their national league.

No mention of seedings there and I don't remember the draw being seeded last year, but again, I could be wrong.

Actually, I thick you're right. Just found this page and there seems to be a seeding for the non-champions. That's a relief, still don't want to have to qualify though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Our form since losing against Birmingham:

LWDLLDDWDDLWLL

Pathetic.

The surprising thing is Birminghams form since that game is dire as well.

Before I get attacked again for being negative and not having enough posts around here to be negative, I will say this.
    Everyone is saying how wonderful Wenger has been and how much he has contributed which is fair enough, but does anyone ever stop to think that maybe some of that glory should belong to Dein.
    He was the guy that brought Wenger in, he was the guy that helped bring the big names to Arsenal.
    Since he left in 2007 what has really happened ?

Unless Wenger and the board shakes up the club this summer, gets rid of the driftwood and brings in some real proven players (with experience and guts) then I can see Arsenal finishing outside of the top 4 next year and the protests won't be about commericalisation but Wenger.
    It would be a sad end to a great manager.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

My main gripe with Wenger and the board and the players is this and it has been this for a good long time now.

When players put on that Arsenal shirt. They are playing for the club and should respect it and run themselves into the ground for it. Like many generations did before them. Many of these players have some real football ability but boy do a lot of them let themselves down and let the club down with pathetic performances. And a lot of it comes about because of a lack of bottle and a certain mentality to push on and try to win trophies and to become the best.

Arsene Wenger has been a fantastic manager for us and is a club legend and will go down as one of our greatest managers, if not the best manager in our history to many people. The problem with Wenger is. Wenger is not changing anything in the way this team plays. He is not doing his job by actually being a manager. A managers job is to manage and use tactics. Watching this Arsenal team and Wenger on the sidelines. We don't see anything tactical at all, never mind actually using tactics to win games. Wenger is just throwing players on the pitch and telling them to get on with it without any proper instructions.

Walcott is a good example. Walcott is just being thrown out onto the wing, he is then trying to dribble (something which he can't do) and is making ****e cross after ****e cross. It really is an embarrassment at the present moment watching Walcott and Wengers complete refusal to do something different with him. Change something in his game, play him upfront, with two strikers. Anything to just change it.

But he doesn't change it, he just leaves it as it is on the pitch, regardless of the score line and hopes for a miracle. And even if he does make changes and changes the formation, he leaves it very late until the game is nearly over. It is plain bad management and is on the line of neglect for his team and football club.

And then you talk about our style of football. If you are going to play good attacking football, then play good attacking football. Make sure your passing is quick, slick and have threats upfront. Have some proper pace in the team, good technical players who can use and distribute the ball. What we have now is slow labour passing, constant square passing in midfield, no one willing to take a risk with enough direct passes, next to no shooting from midfield in a broad sense. Too many times do we see players looking for that extra pass instead of the shot.

Why is a manager who basis his philosophy on attacking football got his team playing really drab football? If your going to play attacking football, play attacking football, have your teams going for it, have them pushing forward and getting the ball into the box and putting defences under pressure. Our attack doesn't do that, our midfield doesn't do that.

There is no balance with us. We have footballing centre halfs trying to play as a defence like we play in Spain. We can't defend from set pieces, our defensive line is unbelievably bad and our work rate off the ball is like a laurel and hardy sketch. Our goal keepers in the last 3+ seasons alone, should have had the police checking into Wengers home to check if he isn't taking any illegal substances.

You then have to discuss our board. ST prices have went up to 6%. The fans are obviously pissed off with this and they believe they don't get anything back. Supporting the club is what we will always do, be it by vocal support or by buying the merchandise and thus giving money to the club. It all counts.

But our board don't go out of the way to help bring in better players, they are beyond greedy with money and the people on the board are proper planks and the relationship between them and Arsene Wenger is obviously not working. Instead of spending some proper money and speculating to accumulate in the transfer market, we spend our money on players who frankly aren't good enough.

Sébastien Squillaci and Laurent Koscielny aren't good enough to play for Arsenal Football Club. They aren't good enough as centre backs to play at the top level, they lose concentration, they aren't good in the air, they aren't strong enough, quick enough, intelligent enough. If the board and Wenger would work together to go out and help sign us a world class central defender who can help us deal with balls into our box, help us deal with strong forwards and more importantly, be a major leader for the team and have a bit about him in a vocal sense. Be able to organise the back four on the ground, not to mention being able to follow defensive instructions.

These are all important ingredients to getting a top defender into the club and how to build a world class defence. Most teams which win trophies are built on a solid defence. We don't have that. The board does not do enough in the transfer market and the fans are seeing this now and no wonder many of them are venting their anger and a few hundred in a protest will grow if it continues like this. If the neglect and the bad decisions from our manager and the board, continue as it is, you will get more people protesting, you will get less people attending the games in a form of protest and you will get more angry Arsenal fans.

Wenger is not doing enough in his role as football manager for this club and is severely lacking in the tactical department. The manager can make all the difference in the world with key tactical decisions on the pitch and signings. Wenger has not got the signings right in the last few years. That much is clear.

He is accepting mediocrity as it is. Arsenal FC should be aspiring to greater things and looking to push to winning a trophy and using it as a foundation to launch for other trophies and look to keep on improving and win our number 14 and then 15 and then 16. To become the best. It is what Herbert Chapman set out to do and should always be our aim.

The board has massive decisions this summer to make. Decisions which will determine if we will win a trophy or not next season. It is critical for us next season to win a trophy. If we don't, we could be in serious decline and be out of the running for trophies for the next 10 years.

You echo the sentiments of many a gooner.

The Arsenal existed before Wenger and will when he's departed.

I adore the man but can't help become fustrated and angry with his decisions on and off the pitch. I do believe we are close to becoming a world-class side, but in order to continue that promise, we must hold onto to Fabregas & Nasri, which I believe we will do.

It's no conincidence that we've screwed up time and time again in the last few years, we simply don't have enough quality and leadership to compete over a season.

People comment that 30M + players won't bring us success. This philosophy stems from other clubs who purchase numerous amounts of players at that price and they take time to gel into a team. Arsenal already have the foundations of a great side. Great defender in Vermaelen, two top class midfielders in Wilshere and Fabregas and a world class striker in van Persie. We have talent amongst that, Nasri, Arshavin, Sagna. I firmly believe that a handful of hard-working, quality players added to that set-up would create a dominant side in world football.

Easier said then done, but if we don't purchase we'll never know.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement