Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Guardian were carrying rumours that Arshavin is on the way out though, if there's truth to it then you'd imagine it's to raise cash for a high profile signing like Hazard.

We might have a slight advantage if we were to move for Hazard too, he's been on the record before about how Arsenal would be his preferred destination in England. Although given our current season...

*crosses fingers*

:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... it's only a Daily Mirror article. Slightly excessive use of sad faces at this point in time!

It'd be a shame if we missed out on him though, he looks a real talent... and we definitely need another quality player to play on either flank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

... it's only a Daily Mirror article.

Oh, lol, the url was liverpool's official site so I thought it was genuine. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

... it's only a Daily Mirror article. Slightly excessive use of sad faces at this point in time!

It'd be a shame if we missed out on him though, he looks a real talent... and we definitely need another quality player to play on either flank.

Yeah I thought it was actually coming from Liverpool themselves at first but then I saw that at the bottom.

I really hope we get signings done nice and quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Fursttimer wrote: »
    Logic? I didn't mention any logic. You appear to though. But, please, don't include me with it.

Hazard plays the exact role Nasri does. Nasri is a far better talent than Hazard. We have alternative back-up for Nasri. Arshavin on the left wing, Walcott on the right wing and Ramsey in centre midfield. These are the three positions Nasri operates in.

We need another wide player.

Nasri - Great first half to the season but trailed off and picked up plenty of injuries.

Walcott - One international call up away from missing 4 months.

Arshavin - Shocking form and may well be sold.

Saying we don't need another wide player because we need these three is ridiculous, especially considering how injury prone our squad is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I wonder if we'll try sign that Oxtail-Chamberpot lad from Southampton again. He fits the bill, untried and cheap. If Liverpool offer £20m for Hazard there's no way we can compete, thats probably more than our entire budget this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Frisbee wrote: »
    We need another wide player.

Nasri - Great first half to the season but trailed off and picked up plenty of injuries.

Walcott - One international call up away from missing 4 months.

Arshavin - Shocking form and may well be sold.

Saying we don't need another wide player because we need these three is ridiculous, especially considering how injury prone our squad is.

Not only that, two (you could argue three) of them aren't naturally wide players. We need someone that'll go by players, cross the ball.. An actual winger. Walcott does it sporadically but Nasri and Arshavin constantly cut inside.

EDIT: Looking forward to how the Ryo lad does thats on loan at Ajax. Obviously standard is a lot lower, but I've liked anything I've seen.

If we are going to rely on Miyaichi to save us next season it just going to be another failed groundhog summer of Project Youth.

If we are going to rely on Miyaichi to save us next season it just going to be another failed groundhog summer of Project Youth.

Never said that, just saying I'm looking forward to seeing him. Put it this way, prefer to see him coming on on the wing than Nick or Chamack. He has pace and attempts to go by people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

By the way he was on loan at Feynoord not Ajax so dont think you really saw that much of him, truth be told!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Parker and Hazard would be good signings. Not quite enough, but a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I watched Feyenoord-PSV a few weeks ago. I'm not judging the guy solely on one performance but I'd be surprised if he was ready to slot straight in at first-team level. There are good reports of his time there overall but that's always the case - the official site seems to be the starting point for a lot of loan reports and they're never going to admit the negatives.

So I'd be very wary of relying on Myaichi, Botelho, etc. Options are good but a lot of these players seem to get better and better in people's minds the longer they're away from Arsenal.

Bear in mind a title challenging Dutch league team is about as good as a lower mid table EPL team.

I don't think Ryo will get the visa this summer anyway so he'll be off on loan again and it'd be for the better I reckon.

Get in someone who is more readily able to slot in to the first team, especially if Arshavin goes.

Dont know why (well I do really) but why do I have an agonising feeling that we'll have a fairly unspectacular transfer window?

I get that feeling every window :p

keano_afc wrote: »
    Dont know why (well I do really) but why do I have an agonising feeling that we'll have a fairly unspectacular transfer window?

Because we were just a little bit naive last year and net year these players will have another season playing together under their belts and be more mature etc.

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    By the way he was on loan at Feynoord not Ajax so dont think you really saw that much of him, truth be told!!

Ah good one, serious LOL. Listen never said I was there cheering him on from the stands every week with his name and club tattooed onto my forehead. All I said was, from the little bits I'd seen, he looked to have geniune pace and ability to go at people and put in a cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Because we were just a little bit naive last year and net year these players will have another season playing together under their belts and be more mature etc.

don't forget the great mental strength :)

It'll be even stronger next year too.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Wenger vows to hold on to Cesc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13460382.stm

I think we didn't see the best of him this year and he will stay at least one more season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

finty wrote: »
    don't forget the great mental strength :)

It'll be even stronger next year too.....

That one's actually true because it's not possible for it to get any weaker :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Denilson wants out, blaming a lack of success, that he is here to win trophies. Funny. I blame him and others like him FOR our lack of success and failure to win trophies.
    Bye Bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

just after reading al about denilson,how dare he,good riddance,he is not world class and one the reasons why we havent won trophies,against west brom few weeks ago it was the worst performance ive ever seen by a footballer,he was taken off at half time

we will not miss him aaron ramsey is ten times the player denilson is,im actually bullin at what hes done no respect for the club,fans, or wenger but im delighted wenger hasnt tried made him stay hes no fabregas,we sud get the guts on 10million for him

the over haul has satrted 1 down 5 to go

Gone

Denilson

Soon To go

Almunia
    bendtner
    Squallci
    Eboue
    Rosicky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don't think Denilson is good enough and it's time for him to move on, but he's spot on with the majority of what he's said in that article!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Not an Arse fan but who does denilson think he is? He should be thanking his lucky stars he has been able to play at Arse for so long. Other managers would have shipped him out in disgrace years ago. "I am a winner". No lad, your a ****e footballer. That's what you are.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    I don't think Denilson is good enough and it's time for him to move on, but he's spot on with the majority of what he's said in that article!

Yeah, a few nail on head moments there alright. Wonder will he stay in the Prem? He could do a job for one of the smaller teams I'd say.

I reckon we'll flog Almunia, Denilson, Rosicky and Arshavin this summer, but no more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I reckon we'll flog Almunia, Denilson, Rosicky and Arshavin this summer, but no more.

Almunia & Rosicky have to be first out the door, I genuinely couldn't tolerate watching them play for us again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

No doubt there will be a youngster ready to replace him.

Useless git, Sure no wonder Arsene didnt play him for the last 2 months or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Fling Diaby in there too and I'll be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

Lads,surely Bendtner has to be on that "got to go" list aswel

hes woeful

hes only got 22 goals in the last 4 years in the league!!tat is not good enough for a 2nd/3rd choice striker in a team going for the league

ive said it for months now falcao of porto

09-10 - 43 apps 34 goals
    10-11 - 42 apps 32 goals

It's not a got to go list, it's a who'll go list.

I know people want to see the dross culled but getting rid of 6/7 players in one window is silly. It takes players a while to get bedded in and most likely they will only be replaced by youths as opposed to big transfers.

Almunia, Denilson, Rosicky and one of Vela/Bendtner to go in the summer.

Give Eboué one more year until we can bring in a proper back up RB for Sagna.

Even getting rid of those players it's not going to lead to big signings, we'll see:

Almunia -> Mannone
    Denilson -> Lansbury
    Rosicky -> JET

I'm hoping beyond hope for some big signings but it will be bargain basement and youth buys again this summer unless someone forces Wenger to stop relying fully on Project Youth.

I'd be very surprised if JET was included in the first team next season, based on how his loan spell appears to have gone.

I suspect Lansbury may take Rosicky's squad position while Coquelin will take Denilson's. Not sure if Mannone will stick around as number 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

I think Almunia and Denilson are definitely out. Rosicky and Diaby can't stay fit so are about as useful as balls on a bishop and should be let go also.

I feel a bit for Bendtner, he's constantly played out of position, but when he did get a run of games last season at centre forward when Van Persie was out he scored a few goals. It seems like he wants out because of that and I don't blame him.

Fling Diaby in there too and I'll be happy.

Absolutely, a complete joke of a footballer and an embarrassment to the club that he was offered a new contract so recently. Only fit to play 20 odd games a season. Complete waster.

I'd be very surprised if JET was included in the first team next season, based on how his loan spell appears to have gone.

I suspect Lansbury may take Rosicky's squad position while Coquelin will take Denilson's. Not sure if Mannone will stick around as number 3.

I'd forgotten about Coquelin, good shout. If Mannone doesn't stick around then I expect Jens/Shea will be 3rd. choice.

Coquelin can play right back too as well can't he? In that case Eboué can probably go.

Coquelin can play right back too as well can't he? In that case Eboué can probably go.
    mmm, not sure. I don't think he's played there too often. I'd rather keep Eboue around for one more season until we've got a more definitive answer. We may have this Jenkinson fella bedded in by then (if he's even coming at all).

mmm, not sure. I don't think he's played there too often. I'd rather keep Eboue around for one more season until we've got a more definitive answer. We may have this Jenkinson fella bedded in by then (if he's even coming at all).

Aye even if we got Jenkinson or Coquelin in to play RB we'd probably be better off holding onto Eboué as there's a good chance neither of them will settle.

Anything I've seen of Jenksinson has been poor, he doesn't seem to know how to run properly, arms and legs flying everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bendtner is a touch underrated in here; technically the lad is very good and while he's not world class he is a good 3rd/4th choice to have. He's been played out of position all year ffs.

Delighted Denilson is off, his head was gone early on this year. Some of the worst ****e I've ever seen in an Arsenal shirt.

Out of interest, I'll list all our loanees this season and see if we can see who'll step up...

Henri Lansbury [Norwich]
    Ryo Miyachi [Feyenoord]
    Francis Coquelin [Lorient]
    Giles Sunu [Lorient]
    Jay-Emmanuel Thomas [Cardiff]
    Carlos Vela [WBA]
    Benik Afobe [Huddersfield]
    Kyle Bartley [Rangers]
    Pedro Botelho [FC Cartegena]

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Bendtner is a touch underrated in here; technically the lad is very good and while he's not world class he is a good 3rd/4th choice to have. He's been played out of position all year ffs.

Delighted Denilson is off, his head was gone early on this year. Some of the worst ****e I've ever seen in an Arsenal shirt.

Out of interest, I'll list all our loanees this season and see if we can see who'll step up...

Henri Lansbury [Norwich]
    Ryo Miyachi [Feyenoord]
    Francis Coquelin [Lorient]
    Giles Sunu [Lorient]
    Jay-Emmanuel Thomas [Cardiff]
    Carlos Vela [WBA]
    Benik Afobe [Huddersfield]
    Kyle Bartley [Rangers]
    Pedro Botelho [FC Cartegena]

Any ideas?

I'm just gonna talk about for next season but out of those players the ones that have played a good bit and impressed consistantly would be:

Henri Lansbury [Norwich] - Will probably take Denilson or Rosicky's place in the squad. Interview with Norwich journalist here

Ryo Miyachi [Feyenoord] - I dont think he'll get the visa yet so I reckon he'll go back to Feyenoord again but if he does get the visa then it seems Wenger might use him.

Francis Coquelin [Lorient] - Seems to have done fairly well and can play a couple of positions so can see him coming back into the squad next year.

Benik Afobe [Huddersfield] - He's done really well at Huddersfield but obviously only a League 1 club so will have to go on loan to the championship next year or stay with them if they go up.

Kyle Bartley [Rangers] - Again played well for both Sheffield Utd. and Rangers. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back as back up but the noises being made now seem to suggest he'll go back to Rangers on loan.

We can't be relying on the likes of Coquelin and Lansbury to sort out our team but as bit part players they should be able to do a job. They really should just been seen as back up though and not like 'a new signing'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

from an outsider looking in I could imagine...

Out:
    Almunia - 3.5m - Some random la Liga side
    Bendtner - 10m - Newcastle
    Vela - 6m - a slightly better random La Liga side than Almunia
    Denilson - 8m A Europa league continental side
    Rosicky - 4.5m A German side
    Figures are obviously guess work

total = 22m

Morale and versatility saves Eboue

Miyachi Brought back in pending a work permit (maybe goes on loan to a lower prem team)

JET/Lansbury/Mannone promoted to the squad

30-40m to spend

Targets like Baines & Benzema

if Fabergas is sold alongside Denilson a new CM is brought in but not at Fabs standard, maybe an M'Villa type to compete with Song as Wilshere / Ramsey step up.

If a decent return could be got on a Squillachi (sp) could be got then someone like Sakho or Cahill would be brought despite obviously costing more, otherwise I could see Arsene sticking with the four CBs he has and hope they stay fit.

Nasri to sign a new bumper deal, and one or two more young prospects to join up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Noo

Had a dream last night we signed Parker...I gotta stop reading this thread before going to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Frimpong could make the step up this year, well as back up to Song I'd imagine. Was meant to this year but got injured in pre-season. Hopefully if we are to sell a few of our fringe players to teams in the la liga, would like it to be the new rich boys Racing Santander and Malaga.

Frimpong could make the step up this year, well as back up to Song I'd imagine. Was meant to this year but got injured in pre-season. Hopefully if we are to sell a few of our fringe players to teams in the la liga, would like it to be the new rich boys Racing Santander and Malaga.

Ah yeah I forgot about him nearly. Hmm the more I look at it the less likely it seems we are to sign a midfielder.

Frimpong has been getting a fair bit of interview time on Arsenal.com lately. i'd say he'll be in the 1st team squad next season. he was in it in the pre season this year, but got injured just before the first Premier League game against Liverpool. In fact we had so many injuries in midfield at teh time taht there was talk of him playing that match!

Good riddance to Denilson though. He complains that we don't win enough. We don't win enough because we keep playing freeloaders like him. He also says he's been planning his leave for 8 months. way to help the cause :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Is Eastmond not a right back? Remember seeing him play there in the Carling Cup. I'd class Coquelin as a DM.

Is Eastmond not a right back? Remember seeing him play there in the Carling Cup. I'd class Coquelin as a DM.

They're both DMs. I know Eastmond has played right back but any time I've seen him play he's looked awful. He won't be making it at Arsenal, or in the Premiership, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jesus Christ lads will some of ye read over the last few pages at the players you're suggesting will be playing next year. If we're relying on young ayers coming up then we are rightly screwed. Quiet simply, if Wenger doesn't get rid of the players who havent cared enough to play a decent game in three months and replace them with much much better players, not just academy hopefuls then he should be sacked. Every man and his dog can see that we need to spend big, and get proven experience.

It looks everyone in here has settled that we'll be stuck with the same shîte as this year. Well we won't be as fortunate next year. If we do what most of ye are suggesting then we'll struggle to finish with a Europa place.

• Advertisement

If Eastmond and Gibbs are our future... it looks bleak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement