Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 10/11

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Quazzie wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lads will some of ye read over the last few pages at the players you're suggesting will be playing next year. If we're relying on young ayers coming up then we are rightly screwed. Quiet simply, if Wenger doesn't get rid of the players who havent cared enough to play a decent game in three months and replace them with much much better players, not just academy hopefuls then he should be sacked. Every man and his dog can see that we need to spend big, and get proven experience.

It looks everyone in here has settled that we'll be stuck with the same shîte as this year. Well we won't be as fortunate next year. If we do what most of ye are suggesting then we'll struggle to finish with a Europa place.

People here are talking about players we already have because they are already on our books. There's no point picking random names to speculate about because we don't know who we could sign.

I don't think anyone has said they'd be happy not to see good players being signed to replace the ones that go and to supplement it as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

thank god that sack of sh!te denilson is finally jogging on. "Im a winner" - id love to have some of what hes been smoking.

reports weve secured our first signing and surprise surprise hes a virtual nobody. dont know if its true or not - its on goal.com which is about as reliable as a lada

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/05/20/2496038/arsenal-set-to-sign-velez-sarsfields-ricky-alvarez-report

his wikipedia page also mentioned him signing for us

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Anyone have any idea how Armand Traoré got on for Juve, or if he's coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

sonic85 wrote: »
    thank god that sack of sh!te denilson is finally jogging on. "Im a winner" - id love to have some of what hes been smoking.

reports weve secured our first signing and surprise surprise hes a virtual nobody. dont know if its true or not - its on goal.com which is about as reliable as a lada

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/05/20/2496038/arsenal-set-to-sign-velez-sarsfields-ricky-alvarez-report

his wikipedia page also mentioned him signing for us

There's an Arsenal in Argentina too, I wonder do they mean them instead?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Sútalún wrote: »

Would be interested to know if he has settled as a left back or as a left midfielder. Plus any mention of Wellington Silva, has he sorted out his problems (attitude) with his loan club in Spain?

Read earlier on today on twitter regarding Arsenals possible first signing of the summer...Ricardo Alvarez..a Freebie!

I cant find the original link but heres on from the holy grail that is Goal.com:

video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Us0IvCKFTE

p.s. Sorry sonic85, you got in before me!

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    There's an Arsenal in Argentina too, I wonder do they mean them instead?? :pac:

ha ha! yeah thought that myself but anywhere ive seen it has made it clear its the british arsenal! a taste of things to come i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Sútalún wrote: »

Afaik Juve aren't going to take their option on him so he'll be coming back. He was a bit part player for them, I don't think he impressed much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Sometimes i think it would not matter who we sign and so on. What we need to do is learn how to defend and how to create better goal scoring chances and how to be more clinical. I would be focusing on the defensive side of the game all summer.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Sometimes i think it would not matter who we sign and so on. What we need to do is learn how to defend and how to create better goal scoring chances and how to be more clinical. I would be focusing on the defensive side of the game all summer.

I dunno, for me our lack of width is as important. I'd agree we need to up the work rate all around but I would hope that we'll be stronger next season on set pieces if we can partner Djourou and Vermaelen at CB.

I think the main thing for next season is that we buy with tactical versatility in mind. United are masters at it, switching formations easily depending on need. We need to be able to mix things up more when facing resolute defences, we're simply too easy to defend against because everything tends to have to go through the middle. We're just too predictable at the moment, inverted wingers, false 9 and high defensive line no matter who we play.

This is my take on the 25 for next season:

Fabianksi

Sczcesney

Eboué
    <new>
    Koscielny -- Gibbs
    Sagna ---- Djourou --- Vermaelen -- Clichy

<promote> --- Ramsey

Song
    Wilshere

Diaby

Cesc
    <new>
    <promote>
    Walcott
    Nasri
    Chamakh

<new>

van Persie

Reserves:
    Squilacci
    Rosicky

I'd say Denilson, Arshavin and Bendtner will all probably move on of their own volition. Not sure about Rosicky, think we'll find it difficult to find a buyer, and I doubt Squillaci will move on again so quick. I'd imagine Vela will be loaned out until a buyer is found.

The priority for me is the wings, I've been saying for a while we need a natural winger (by that I mean someone similar to Valencia or even Downing, who's game is all about going down the outside and whipping the ball in).

A striker capable of playing along side van Persie would also be nice, but I haven't a notion as to who is a possibility. Someone with a bit more mobility and selfishness though than we currently have hopefully.

In terms of loanees coming back; i expect Botelho and Miyaichi to duke it out for one of the wide positions and Lansbury and Frimpong to be at least given an opportunity in the summer to stake a place for the midfield. I myself would also like to see Bartley made 4th choice, the reports from Rangers suggest he's more than capable at this level. Perhaps another year with Rangers would be better for his development though but given Smalling's progression at United I think it's better to have him in there.

tldr: the main thing for me is that we add more versatility to the squad next season, with a focus on adding width and pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

I think Lansbury is very underrated. That fella has got bags of potential, I've never failed to be impressed by him throughout his short career. I don't think he was given the opportunities he deserved.

• Advertisement

I think Lansbury is very underrated. That fella has got bags of potential, I've never failed to be impressed by him throughout his short career. I don't think he was given the opportunities he deserved.

he really should have been in the squad this season. after his goal against spurs in the CC i thought hed be given a proper opportunity but it didnt happen.

sonic85 wrote: »
    he really should have been in the squad this season. after his goal against spurs in the CC i thought hed be given a proper opportunity but it didnt happen.

Probably wouldn't have got much playing time though...we have quite a lot of CM's. Woulda loved to see him play this season too though :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I'm sticking with what I said a few pages ago.I am at peace with it.Sign Ashley Cole.A real gooner.Give him the captaincy and all the hoo-ers he can eat.We'll win everything.I'd swap Fab for Ash at this stage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Jesus Christ lads will some of ye read over the last few pages at the players you're suggesting will be playing next year. If we're relying on young ayers coming up then we are rightly screwed. Quiet simply, if Wenger doesn't get rid of the players who havent cared enough to play a decent game in three months and replace them with much much better players, not just academy hopefuls then he should be sacked. Every man and his dog can see that we need to spend big, and get proven experience.

It looks everyone in here has settled that we'll be stuck with the same shîte as this year. Well we won't be as fortunate next year. If we do what most of ye are suggesting then we'll struggle to finish with a Europa place.
    Did you even read the posts or did you just see the names of young players and in a fit of hysteria decide to post the above?

Denilson is our 6th choice CM, Rosicky is our 5th choice winger and Almunia is 3rd, now possibly 4th choice keeper. Replacing them with big money players wouldn't even happen at Real Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Probably wouldn't have got much playing time though...we have quite a lot of CM's. Woulda loved to see him play this season too though :/
    Thats the problem. A number of them (Diaby, Denilson) don't try a damn leg. At least this fella would give it everything and he has some quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Ricky Alvarez is 6ft 2 and can play anywhere in midfield.
    6ft2!! that's what we need, a team of giants.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Denilson wants out, blaming a lack of success, that he is here to win trophies. Funny. I blame him and others like him FOR our lack of success and failure to win trophies.
    Bye Bye

Good riddance. Hopeless excuse for a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

SDTimeout wrote: »

Samuel galindo is 6ft3.

SDTimeout wrote: »

I'm skeptical. 23 years old, market value 800k. I mean like, it seems like he's one of the many young(enough) players we have who are just not good enough for the arsenal first team. More deadwood methinks.

Arsenal Ladies just won the FA cup again.

Pfft who says we don't win trophies:p

• Advertisement

Arsenal Ladies just won the FA cup again.

Pfft who says we don't win trophies:p

maybe we should draft a few of the women into the mens squad. at least they have a winning mentality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yeah, MPD just reminded me we won a trophy today! Girl Power!!!

Had a dream last night it was the last game of the season. Us against United to win the title, it was 1-1 in the 89th minute and someone for United took a shot. It hit off Freddie Ljungberg who had green hair similar to his old Sounders kit. It went in and Freddie was credited with the goal, but then it turned out he was playing for United. I was panicking asking my mates why he was playing for them and they said , :"remember, because he said you's were all cnut's ".
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I read that Fabregas is at the Spanish Grand Prix currently. I presume he is injured ? Should he not be in London anyway to support the rest of the team to try to pinch 3rd from City ? He is the club captain after all and paid a hell of a lot of money.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I read that Fabregas is at the Spanish Grand Prix currently. I presume he is injured ? Should he not be in London anyway to support the rest of the team to try to pinch 3rd from City ? He is the club captain after all and paid a hell of a lot of money.

Why would anyone want to watch them finish 4th???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

L'prof wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to watch them finish 4th???

I guess its a personal thing really. Some people would say as you say, why bother, not important etc. I would expect more of a captain especially since you are dealing with a young squad of players. A few words of encouragement can make a difference to a result.

People who would suggest the game doesn't matter remind me of a small few Liverpool fans who said they should throw the game v Arsenal a few weeks back with "what does it matter to Liverpool". You don't switch on and off a winning mentality.

I guess it has Wengers approval but it sends a poor message to the rest of the squad I think.

ps. I obviously don't think every injured player should turn up regularly to games but the club captain, last game of the season I think he should be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

tbh I agree he should be at the game. Even if he's off to Barca in the summer it's slightly disrespectful to just not go because he's injured.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I guess its a personal thing really. Some people would say as you say, why bother, not important etc. I would expect more of a captain especially since you are dealing with a young squad of players. A few words of encouragement can make a difference to a result.

People who would suggest the game doesn't matter remind me of a small few Liverpool fans who said they should throw the game v Arsenal a few weeks back with "what does it matter to Liverpool". You don't switch on and off a winning mentality.

I guess it has Wengers approval but it sends a poor message to the rest of the squad I think.

ps. I obviously don't think every injured player should turn up regularly to games but the club captain, last game of the season I think he should be there.

If it was our last home fame of the season or if we genuinely had something to fight for, then I'd agree 100%, but I don't think today is all that important to be honest.

A few weeks ago we were talking about how many Summer's Cesc had played through without a break. It's not even a home game so I don't see any reason to force him to stay in London, let him get the rest he needs.

• Advertisement

Why is Cesc not at the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Chamakh and RVP starting together. But no way it's 4-4-2 unless Diaby is being put on the wing..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Why is Cesc not at the game?
    He's at the grand prix in Barcelona

amiable wrote: »
    He's at the grand prix in Barcelona

Like, is he injured? Strange, he wouldn't be around for the last match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Goal down. FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

RVP scores again, Our player of the year by miles

• Advertisement

RVP was 100/1 to be top goal scorer the other day. If Tevez nor Berba scores and Robin gets 2 more, what's the scenario if they are all equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

RVP - scored in his last 9 league away games. Some record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm actually glad we're losing. If we won then it'd only serve as a crutch for Wenger to use to back up his claim that the current squad is good enough. Now we've lost(hopefully it stays the same) he has nothing to do only admit we are muck and buy some experiences talent that's proven in English football.

I'm actually glad we're losing. If we won then it'd only serve as a crutch for Wenger to use to back up his claim that the current squad is good enough. Now we've lost(hopefully it stays the same) he has nothing to do only admit we are muck and buy some experiences talent that's proven in English football.

I don't understand this attitude at all. Any manager that bases their decisions on one game would have to be completely inept.

Anyway, a glorious draw to bring the dismal last few months to an end. Big improvements needed in the defending of the team as a whole.

let him get the rest he needs.

I can't resist; From what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't understand this attitude at all. Any manager that bases their decisions on one game would have to be completely inept.

Anyway, a glorious draw to bring the dismal last few months to an end. Big improvements needed in the defending of the team as a whole.
    I aint saying he'd base it one game, but I guarantee if we won 4-0 today he'd be giving an interview saying this is the potential he sees and he believes the squad can produce that more often. Now that we've been shïte again he can't claim that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

amiable wrote: »
    He's at the grand prix looking at houses in Barcelona
    sorted

I aint saying he'd base it one game, but I guarantee if we won 4-0 today he'd be giving an interview saying this is the potential he sees and he believes the squad can produce that more often. Now that we've been shïte again he can't claim that.

I don't understand why people get so worked up by what he says in interviews. He's not going to say his team is completely **** no matter what happens. Also people tend to only pay any attention to what he says if it goes along with the stereotypes.

It's not what he says but what he does that's important. Especially now after the way the season has gone.

Thank goodness thats over.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Thank goodness thats over.

You are talking about the season, aren't you?

Papa Smut wrote: »
    You are talking about the season, aren't you?

Oh yes. Gone, now the process of erasing it from my memory begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd love to see a league table done out from the weekend after Barca beat us til now, I'd bet we'd be in the relegation places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

cson wrote: »
    I'd love to see a league table done out from the weekend after Barca beat us til now, I'd bet we'd be in the relegation places.

Try statto.com you can then click on custom table and it will show ya.
    Just checked Arsenal would be 15th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I heard the Arsenal fans were singing "Spend some fooking money" at the game today. Reckon next season could be Wenger's last if it's trophyless?

baz2009 wrote: »
    I heard the Arsenal fans were singing "Spend some fooking money" at the game today. Reckon next season could be Wenger's last if it's trophyless?

If he fails to really strengthen the squad this summer, then yes I'd fear for his job.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement